Does anyone else think that Boon and friends were really onto something with Shaolin Monks multiplayer?
posted11/28/2007 01:32 AM (UTC)by
TzarChasm
I might be the only guy that feels like this, but I doubt it. After playing through Shaolin Monks repeatedly and raping my siblings in the multiplayer enough times to memorize every Fatality in the game, I came to admit that while the game's graphics were pretty lackluster and the voice acting warranted corporal punishment, the multiplayer component was a tremendous amount of fun.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that were if fully fleshed-out and developed into a title the size and scope of Deadly Alliance or Deception—and especially if it kept an average of five or so character-specific Fatalities per person and a sizable roster—it just might be the best game in the series. I mean it.

The game's mechanics were wildly fun, and in a startling new take on the series, the simple button scheme used to modify special moves on the fly made for very intuitive combinations and spontaneous cleverness. Also, the full range of true 3D movement made a lot more fun out of the environmental hazards than Deception ever did. I think it would do to remove health power ups and what-not from the maps, but the weapons laying around certainly came in handy at times, and I remember laughing so hard I nearly pissed myself on more than one occasion when I threw a sword into my brother's face, knocking him off a cliff.

The Fatalities were some of the best the series has ever known, as well. Naturally there were far better ones for Liu Kang and Kung Lao than anyone else, but the fact is that there was a tremendous amount of variety in them, and while a few were intentionally hilarious (being mauled to death by a rabbit?), some were downright sinister, like Kung Lao's Buzz-saw. The triumphant return of the vertical hat split was a truly beautiful moment, as well.

I think that if Midway really focused on further refining an already-winning formula and rediscovering that atmosphere that made MK2 what it was, all while eliminating the series' historical and expendable sense of humor, that they could easily have a somewhat revolutionary fighter on their hands that could be the best party game ever made.

Does anyone else agree?
outworld222
11/17/2007 05:52 AM (UTC)
Yeah I agree. Multiplayer was one of MKSM's greatest achievments. But the basic fact that I want to state is MK2's gameplay is a bad thing to rely on. I understand about the mood and all that, but MK needs to reinvevnt itself.

MK2 was a very limited game, at a time when 2D was the main course in video games. Take Baraka's Jump on an opponent. He would just be jumping on the screen with his legs kicked out. That is very limited and there really needs to be more. Good for it's time, inadequat for today.
TzarChasm
11/17/2007 05:57 AM (UTC)
I totally agree in every way. The only thing I believe MK needs to recapture from MK2 is the atmosphere and the feel. The animations, the gameplay, even the characters and most of the fatalities need to be nuked and paved. Quite frankly, I had much more fun with MK4 than I ever did with MK2, but the dark, gritty feeling was never there from MK3 on.

Combine the multiplayer of MK:SM with the twisted fear and desolation of MK2 and the graphic prowess of the U3 engine, and the way I figure it you have a game that would take effort to screw up. And as an afterthought, it would also be pretty easy to incorporate four player simultaneous gameplay in a future MK game that runs off of the foundation laid by MK:SM, which is something I think many of us have always thought would be wicked sick.
outworld222
11/17/2007 06:06 AM (UTC)
Youre right. MK3 was the last game MK had a really dark and mysyterious feel to it. While MK4 had it's good points, it lacked that scarry feel MK had and made it seem to cartoony. I'n glad boon is reaching for a Gears of War look in MK8.
lastfighter89
11/17/2007 10:51 AM (UTC)
shaolin monks is a masterpiece and my favourite action adventure ever,better than god of war for me!!!!

the only thing i don't like is the versus mode,we needed also a vs CPU mode,not only for 2 players.
instead,i think that midway teams puts too much attention on multyplayer instead of single player:lot of secrets cannot be unlocked in single player mode.
this is a dirty con if the game does not support any kind of on-line mode.
and if you haven't a friend who want to play with you,it's impossible to unloc everything.

the gameplay is fantastic,there are hundreds of secrets,best fatalities ever and i really don't care about the messing up storyline:i loe that game!
also RE Rebirth changed something troughout the storyline,but noone complained about it.
MKfan30
11/17/2007 08:39 PM (UTC)
I agree. i love MK:Shaolin Monks. It made you feel like you were in the game punching and kicking and the fatalities were awesome. seeing some old ones make a come back and the new ones. i love the fell of the story line and how much you are invalved with it. the only thing is that i still can't beat Shao Kahn by myself or in co-op. he is one tuff dude in here. i get soo close then wham! i'm dead meat with the the hitting of his war hammer when he spins. other then that. I'd love to see more of MK games like that like for instance. MK3 -4/5/ . and you can play with any of them, not just 2or 3. Bring more like these and more MK 8-?? Fighting games and i'll be happy man. !!!!!!winkgrin
Carpathain_Malice
11/24/2007 12:56 AM (UTC)
Funny but I share your position. I felt like I was the only one who liked MKSM. I have always enjoyed good "beat-em-up" games. like fighting force, peace keepers, brawl brothers, etc. One player games are fine but sometimes it is just not enough. Having a buddy come over so the two of you can can play an mk game where you have more options than battling each other is just what I had anticipated.

One of the hard parts, however, was having to play through it alone in ko-op mode just to unlock some of those red koins. I even did a vid for it at youtube and filefront to help those that had such a hard time collecting them all.

I also found the glitch that results when doing a fatality to a "Dead/exploding/impaled" enemy. Funny stuff. That is also on my youtube page.

I am not saying this to advertise but to inform. I have also enjoyed discovering new things and glitches in games ever since I was a kid. Shaolin monks brought that back and even included a dose of what I loved best in blood rayne 2. The environmental hazards and obstacles. "Body puzzles" was the nickname for BR2.

I look forward to a new MKSM or co-op mk game. It would be nice if the co-op mode could switch from CPU to buddy and vice versa. That way a game file isn't dependent on a buddy. Ever try beating kitana, mileena, and Jade all at once while at the same time trying to keep your idle partner from getting killed? Insane but doable.

I liked the variety of fatalities but I think the multalities for some fighters were kind of rushed. And last but not least, all the hacks from godshin that made this game have a plethora of replay value.

This game is definitely a success that was rushed. Give scorpion and sub-zero their own voices and somehow avoid the "holiday rush" that sent this game to school half dressed and we will have a beautiful mk co-op beat 'em up game!
lastfighter89
11/24/2007 10:23 AM (UTC)
can someone talk me more about the godshin hacks?
ThePredator151
About Me
The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
- Lead Graphic Designer - Mortal Kombat Online -

:G-play

:Story

:F-Design

:Cutout

:Get Sig

:Raiden

:Fans [1] [2]

:#LegendaryArts

11/24/2007 08:13 PM (UTC)
I loved Shaolin Monks. I think that a reason nobody really fussed about it is a testament to how satisfying a game it was.

Right when i started playing it, and realizing all the advantages of it's gameplay, I just felt like "This is Mortal Kombat". You know?
All the fatalities available, tag teaming in co-op, gradually acquiring more skill special moves, and fatalities...all of it was wonderful.

I also liked how you would fight a "boss" at the end of each level. It made each boss character feel like they were still a threat to MK. This was not like the main fighting games were, as time went by, and they added newer bigger bosses, it reduced the value of the previous "baddies" on the roster. Something I DO NOT appreciate btw.

I liked how they finally exploited all the little rumors around Mk1 and two.

a.

In the Deadpool, you could finally hang the enemies on the hooks, and knock them in the acid pool.

b.

In the tower you could finally fight the shadow preiest. And what was funny is it was still thrilling, even though I had kind of expected that to happen.

I liked all the "other characters" too.

The Zombies, all the different kinds of Ogres, the rest of the Tarkata...everything was good in this department too.

Graphically, it looked like the natural progression from MkT, which I was so excited about this..I think that if you identified this like me, it is quite lovely. It looked like they fouled up on Mk4//Gold (trying to go into the world of 3D), so that they could eventually make this game. Left a desire to definitely see this type of game be made on these next gen systems(Ps3, 360).

Finally, the secrets were actually secrets in the game. I had taken a break from the playing for months, not realizing I hadn't figured out at least 2 secrets. I hadn't figured out the endurance mode, and I hadn't figured out that I could fight Kitana. lol I also hadn't figured out what all the "You Lose" quips were about...But who had, y'know? I remember that forum on here, was still full of activity well after the excitement of the games' release died down.

Those things made the game even more worth while, and some very much need nostaligia.

I hope they do make another game like this, or at least affect the main Mortal Kombat fighting games with some of the same qualities.

The only thing that was really "wrong" with it, were its story issues. Oh, and Raiden wasn't playable. aheh.
Malice
About Me

THERE IS NO KNOWLEDGE THAT IS NOT POWER

11/25/2007 04:58 AM (UTC)
I really see this as being a third person beat 'em up with multiple kombatants in the arena at once. When Midway bought epic games, they were working on Unreal Championship 2.

When it came out you could use the mortal kombat announcer to talk in the matches, The came featured hand to hand weapons, special moves, and fatalities. You would switch to a third person view when holding weapons, you locked on to the player, and faught. You could also deflect bullets. It was also nice to kick off of walls ninja guidan style to evade enemy attack.

Kinda funny now that the MK:Team is talking about using the U3 engine and saying the new MK will play nothing like the old ones. However Ed did slip up later and say the change would be more like the change from 4 to da...with the style branching. But I think this is going much deeper.
chaosorder
11/26/2007 04:05 PM (UTC)
loved the game i loved evrything about it and i hope they make more like that but at the same time i would also like the classic style to stay as well. but what i liked most about MKSHM was in versus mode u got to see the whole area and u had more freedom of movement, allowing a bit more startegy to the game, by allwing u to back off and make a plan to fight if u were getting beat or pik up a wepon and whateverwow
parts
11/27/2007 11:38 PM (UTC)
This game was the best Mk adventure game yet by far and they for sure need to make another one. This time it needs to be about Reptile.
KillerInstinct3
11/28/2007 01:32 AM (UTC)
Shaolin Monks was amazing, and I'm glad it sold well, so they will probably make another adventure game. I think a fun one would be to have each level of the game be the first 7 fighters from MK growing up, so you start off as each fighter when they're a child until they reach the tournament.
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.