Regarding the Scorpion image from NEO+ magazine
posted05/09/2008 07:54 AM (UTC)by
~Crow~
We are trying to get true confirmation of it (I don't doubt that it's real or anything), but until then there won't be any news posted on it, and of course since it is a magazine scan we can't allow it here for copyright reasons. Hopefully a free media, high quality version of the image will appear in the next couple of days. We'll keep you posted.
Deathbearer
05/08/2008 01:34 AM (UTC)
thanks. hopefully that wasn't the final version.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
05/08/2008 01:34 AM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Y'know... Conventional wisdom would be to delete links to the magazine scan, rather than putting a stop to discussion about a character we all already know is confirmed to appear... furious

Presumably we won't have to wait too long for official online sources...

On a side note... I thought the blurred "embargo" image looked a lot like Scorpion's MKA versus pose, but it's been long enough now that I almost wonder if it was the mag image. Anyone want to clarify?

Hopefully we'll see something official by Friday.
Be nice if a different shot emerged.
~Crow~
05/08/2008 01:39 AM (UTC)
I don't mind discussion of the scan. It's common knowledge people will just use the PM system to pass it now around anyway; but the thread is already closed. Just use this one to continue the discussion about it, but again, please don't post it on the forums.
-Brad-
05/08/2008 02:00 AM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
On a side note... I thought the blurred "embargo" image looked a lot like Scorpion's MKA versus pose, but it's been long enough now that I almost wonder if it was the mag image. Anyone want to clarify?

Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
05/08/2008 02:00 AM (UTC)
~Crow~ Wrote:
Just use this one to continue the discussion about it, but again, please don't post it on the forums.

Don't worry, man. I've totally got everyone covered!

ONLY LYCRA AND QUILTING!!! grin
Check
05/08/2008 02:02 AM (UTC)
crow you ever gonna respond to my pms ive been sending you for the past 6 months about my mkda combo movie being added to the sticky threads?
mkflegend
05/08/2008 02:50 AM (UTC)
Cool, I'm looking forward to it.

TonyTheTiger
About Me

TonyTheTiger - Forum Director

Mortal Kombat Online - The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
-
Nintendo is comprised of three Japanese words. Nin, Ten, Dou, and when combined it means we kicked the holy shit outta Atari.

05/08/2008 03:21 AM (UTC)
In general, I like it. I'm hoping that image is real time because the texturing is actually pretty nice. The only thing that makes him look weird is the size of his mask. It looks like he's wearing a crab's shell on his face.
Bezou
About Me
05/08/2008 03:29 AM (UTC)
I wonder what that pic looked like.
Detox
About Me

You work with what you got...not what you hope for.

05/08/2008 05:45 AM (UTC)
LMAO Bezou for president.
reptile88
05/08/2008 07:24 AM (UTC)
Have seen the picture,Scorpion's look is ok.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/08/2008 07:53 AM (UTC)
ThePredator151 Wrote:
You know Mick, I was actually gonna mention the shoes as being part of what seems off to me. Seems like they tried too hard to um..."color code" him with the "yellar toes". lol

Doesn't look like they wanted a "sleek" sensible "ninja" design. Looks like they wanted an erratic design. Like "keep it simple stupid" isn't the modo with this design. haha... *clears throat*.

I'd definitely agree with that, but like I said, I think by using the ninja shoe they're at least doing something more than the homogenous boot, without making it look like he's sponsored by Nike (like Sub-Zero).

I think I'd actually be inclined to call it simple.
A lot of the detail from the waist down is inconsequential. As garbled as it is, it's so inconsequential I don't think it makes any impact at all, leaving a very bland design reminiscent of the early games, which I've never been a fan of.
To me one of the crucial elements should be individuality and practicality -- things that aren't hindered by cheap technology from fifteen years ago.

ThePredator151 Wrote:
Anyway, far as the spandex, I think they might be too concentrated on lighting things. That "glossy" - plastic looking black color that the pants and other dark colored garments ends up looking like as a result of over-doing it. We'll see what it looks like moving around in the game though. But, compare the hazy, fabric look on the MKSM render I posted, to this new Scorpion about his pants.

The old one looks better in that aspect. Looks more realistic. Overall though, I think they're too stuck on the MK3-T Scorpion design. That's when they started in with the "spandex-ninja" design. Even then though, the design was really simple, easy on the eyes to tolerate for long periods of time. Check it out:

I agree on the MkDa Scorpion being something other than a cheap comic design. That's something from MKdA and MkD that I certainly appreciated...But I gotta disagree on the textures and all that. MkSm did better for fabric and lighting.

Nicely picked up! I didn't notice the yellow tail there!
Not surprisingly; as much as I spit venom over the MKSM look, the MK3/4/Armageddon costumes are easily my least favourite.

Again, it comes down to logic and homogenisation.
Yellow as a trademark colour is hard enough to swallow for a ninja without dealing with ridiculous, bland outfits shared by a plethora of characters who aren't ninjas.

MKDA, to me, is the epitomy of Scorpion's looks not for the specifics, but for the spirit of the costume. The muted yellow and gold slowly makes it more believable, and the bulky fabrics and utilitarian sense of his sword and spear were things I definitely appreciated.

MKSM definitely took the graphic quality of fabric further, but did very little with it. MKDA felt like someone actually stopped for a minute to put some thought into the character, instead of churning out another nonsensical revamp out for the grinning/drooling fans.
Scorpion has very little reason to change. I'd be happiest if we saw the MKDA look refined and canonized as what he should've always looked like (K-mart ninja suits a major disappointment in MKSM, I thought).

Mobster_For_SATAN Wrote:
They both have totally different designs but same ninja concept. Like always.

If I wasn't more aware of the MK fanbase, I'd be surprised that that was ever acceptable, let alone now that we're ten years beyond the constraints of colour-swapped technology!
I mean, you do know the Lin Kuei aren't actually ninja, right?! It'd be nice for these guys to actually look like individuals, rather than foot soldiers for the Golden State!

ThePredator151 Wrote:I also agree with the MK1 movie reference. It's part of what's making this new design ok.

A big part of me doesn't want to like it, but yeah.
Scorpion's never been as weird as he could've been. As much as I wouldn't want to start a Spawn chant, I could live with some design sense drawing on life in Hell and all that.

I think the nature of the Netherealm is such that he doesn't have a lot of reason for a dramatic change, but I like to think there's an untold tale that makes Scorpion's transformation into undead spectre more than a cheesy gimmick.
Sarumanthewhite
05/08/2008 11:44 AM (UTC)
Hey I contacted NEO+ od their forum and ask about the image that I scanned and posted yeterday. Maybe They will be able to put it on the net, we'll see. They've printed few of my articles that I sent them, They are bunch of great people, so i hope They'll reply to my question.
-Brad-
05/08/2008 08:38 PM (UTC)
Bezou
About Me
05/08/2008 09:02 PM (UTC)
Wow, that high res one is nuts.
mkflegend
05/08/2008 09:07 PM (UTC)
Holy moly, Scorpion looks fucking badass.

That costume is definitely one his best thus far in the past 10 years . Wow, it's not too baggy, not too tight it's perfect IMO. Has that perfect blend of movie and game element mixing in there.

That's hotwow
Shin_Akuma
05/08/2008 09:33 PM (UTC)
I don't like the mask a whole lot.sad
Bezou
About Me
05/08/2008 09:44 PM (UTC)
Here's a nice MKO column-sized version:

Uppercut Editions
About Me

Uppercut Editions - Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project Creator and Manager - Join Our Fight and Like the Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project on Facebook and Twitter -

05/08/2008 09:48 PM (UTC)
Where'd the hole in his wrist go? If you compare the lo-res and the hi-res, you can see the hole in his wrist is gone now.

seems gone in the High Res.
PS. The wear and tear on his boots is really nice.
Bezou
About Me
05/08/2008 09:56 PM (UTC)
I think that the hole in his wrist was a printing artifact or drip on the scanner.
Uppercut Editions
About Me

Uppercut Editions - Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project Creator and Manager - Join Our Fight and Like the Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project on Facebook and Twitter -

05/08/2008 09:57 PM (UTC)
Perhaps, but it just seems odd that it stood out so much and now it's gone. It's fine, it still looks pretty badass, especially with all the details.
ThePredator151
About Me
The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
- Lead Graphic Designer - Mortal Kombat Online -

:G-play

:Story

:F-Design

:Cutout

:Get Sig

:Raiden

:Fans [1] [2]

:#LegendaryArts

05/08/2008 10:06 PM (UTC)
Yea, that's more impressive. That's more like it.

My critique stands, and I do appreciate being able to see it better. Mainly about the head. Scorpion looks fine like I was saying before....even a little "scary" in hi-res like he's supposed to.

That's all I'd ask for from Scorpion.

Ya know, if this is supposed to be the primary, mixed with all the costumes of the past and all....I wonder what they're gonna do with the alt? Aculeus maybe? Please?

Side Note: Save the Picture as a PNG file guys. geesh. Better quality image that way.
Bezou
About Me
05/08/2008 10:13 PM (UTC)
Tell you what, YOU host the pic as a PNG. :P I know about image quality. I also know about image size :P
ThePredator151
About Me
The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
- Lead Graphic Designer - Mortal Kombat Online -

:G-play

:Story

:F-Design

:Cutout

:Get Sig

:Raiden

:Fans [1] [2]

:#LegendaryArts

05/08/2008 10:20 PM (UTC)
Bezou Wrote:
Tell you what, YOU host the pic as a PNG. :P I know about image quality. I also know about image size :P

Wasn't talking about you, I was hinting towards DAB or whoever uploads the original images to the MKO library...I hadn't seen the picture you posted until after I reloaded the page just now.

Are you taking some weird sort of offense to me? lol

What's yur deal?
Pages: 2
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.