X-Play Review
posted11/19/2008 03:43 AM (UTC)by
PapaRoachFan
About Me

Herro.

X-Play's Review

For those that still care about X-play's opinion.

Its Adam Sessler this time, so it sounds much nicer than MKA's review by Morgan.
kingjolly
11/18/2008 03:44 AM (UTC)
damn it ...another negative review.
SubMan799
11/18/2008 03:50 AM (UTC)
lol, x-play

anyways, I'm not gonna bother looking at that because X-Play is terrible
JayboH
11/18/2008 03:50 AM (UTC)
They gave it 3 out of 5, while pointing at the lack of modes and cheesy finishers as the main reasons of any negativity.
oracle
About Me

-sig by MINION

11/18/2008 04:08 AM (UTC)
3/5 = 7.5 imo

good but nothing special at all.

h1tm0nl33
11/18/2008 04:41 AM (UTC)
X-play Just made the bar none crappiest review EVER
Deathbearer
11/18/2008 04:42 AM (UTC)
X-Play is the game review show that all others piss on, even IGN.
ErmaSco
11/18/2008 05:04 AM (UTC)
kingjolly Wrote:
damn it ...another negative review.

The funny thing is that the last 3 MKs were rated very high but many fans hate them .Now the fans are grazy about the game while the sites hate it .

Do you trust the fans or the sites ?
Chill728
11/18/2008 05:21 AM (UTC)
Deathbearer Wrote:

Haha...That's saying something.
Garlador
11/18/2008 06:15 AM (UTC)
I trust the fighting community as a whole, along with my own personal tastes.

Honestly, 3/5 stars sounds about par for the course. I've said it before, but all reviews are just someone's opinion, albeit a glorified opinion. Nothing more and nothing less. MK fans tend to praise those who give high scores to the game while insulting critics that give it negative scores, when in actuality both are correct in their ratings. One person just might not enjoy the game while another might've thought Batman vs. Sub-Zero was the greatest idea ever. It's all personal preference, and in X-Play's defense, it's their personal preference as well, and they are entitled to it.
Joe-Von-Zombie
About Me

Sig by MINION

11/18/2008 03:35 PM (UTC)
Deathbearer Wrote:

Which is funny because Sessler is one of the only video game journalists with half a brain these days.
TheAdder
11/18/2008 03:57 PM (UTC)
I love X-Play reviews!

I mean, their opinions are almost always utter crap, but they're so fun to watch.
Nic-V
11/18/2008 08:55 PM (UTC)
Deathbearer Wrote:

Understandable I couldn't take it seriously and they spoiled too much story mode wow
h1tm0nl33
11/18/2008 09:18 PM (UTC)
Garlador

I trust the fighting community as a whole, along with my own personal tastes.

Honestly, 3/5 stars sounds about par for the course. I've said it before, but all reviews are just someone's opinion, albeit a glorified opinion. Nothing more and nothing less. MK fans tend to praise those who give high scores to the game while insulting critics that give it negative scores, when in actuality both are correct in their ratings. One person just might not enjoy the game while another might've thought Batman vs. Sub-Zero was the greatest idea ever. It's all personal preference, and in X-Play's defense, it's their personal preference as well, and they are entitled to it.

me

here is the thing this is the show that gave devil may cry 4 a 2/5 for being "too last gen" and gave halo 3( a better looking version of halo 2) a 5
MINION
About Me
Groundbreaking Debut | You[Tube] | deviantART | Twitter
11/18/2008 09:23 PM (UTC)
3 out of 5. LAWLFIRM!
TrueNoob
About Me

"There is no knowledge that is not power."

-MK3
11/18/2008 09:41 PM (UTC)
I think 3 out of 5 is pretty fair. There's definitely LOTS of room for improvement. Keep in mind, they're not comparing this just to other MK games but to every other game out there. If you don't make a good effort and put out a competetive game, you get reviews like this. But all in all, I think they're right-- not bad, but not spectacular either.

Just for the record, I don't agree with all their reviews. Saint's Row 2 got a three when I felt it should have gotten at least a four.
ThePredator151
About Me
The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
- Lead Graphic Designer - Mortal Kombat Online -

:G-play

:Story

:F-Design

:Cutout

:Get Sig

:Raiden

:Fans [1] [2]

:#LegendaryArts

11/18/2008 11:03 PM (UTC)
Sessler basically quoted my first impression. lol So I agree, 3/5 fits.

There's really nothing on the disc to rate but the stuff he//we mentioned. "Weekend rental".

After playing online for a while now, I'm even more inclined to agree with this review. I witness at least one bug or a glitch every match or so.

Pro-moves actually don't seem like their worth the effort sometimes, but they are cool to pull off. Freefall is cool at first, but Raiden being the main character I play with consistently, I run into freefall so much it's a damn shame. Torpedo once, and we're on our way down. Problem though, is that the move is almost central to the combo system without really trying. I do it on accident alot, and I've run into people who make that move a part of their strategy on purpose. *position, then torpeo, then freefall*. It's an alright strategy because of the damage you can deal if you're the victor of that mini-mode, and I'm not complaining about it because I beat all these people that I played that use that strategy....But it gets very annoying, very quickly.

Close Kombat is just like Sessler put it; "Almost too random for it's own good". I try to stay away from that (wich is actually pretty easy to do), but once in there, I wish there was more to do. And I wish that it if we must be stuck in that mode, that it was quicker.

Test your might is a glitch waiting to happen. Almost everytime I've gone into it, it yeilds me and the other player a "disconnect". Free fall does this too because, if you knock your opponent off the edge at the wrong angle, well....."disconnect". Very frustranting.

Other bugs are like, the "glow" from rage mode sticking around long after the mode is supposed to be gone, along with the glow from being hit with a projectile sticking around. Another one is the button indicators from freefall sticking around for the remainder of the match, and a BIG one, is P.O.C. = Point of Contact on alot of the moves in the game, regaurdless of who you're playing with, gets totally wacked and out of sinc. Simply put, it malfunctions easily....especially while online.

Looks like, with so many little modes that the players can and will come in and out of in the regular mechanic, that it disrupts IF I can even hit the other player or not. Punches, kicks, projectiles....everything gets jacked up after a couple of these transitions.

Also, has anybody noticed that we can't access the server yet? I check often to try and "Enter a Room", and it always says that it's not connected, or that it's not available at this time. What's the deal with that? Overall, I don't really like the online setup. It doesn't look, or perform anything like what they were talking about.

As far as I've experienced so far, all you can do is look at the rankings, but you can't challeged any member that happens to be online at the time. You have to sit there and wait forever to get a match. Player match or Ranked match.

--

But yea, anyway, This game IS a 3/5. There's nothing on the disc, and what it there, has a lot of problems.....or it's toned down for a MK game. And the online stuff isn't inviting, it's seclusive until you actually get a match.

I'm sorry to report like that but, they just need to do this stuff better man.
ermac1314
About Me

Sig by Redman

11/18/2008 11:05 PM (UTC)
I used to like x play but it's so biased now. X play only gives good reviews to the big name games like Halo, COD, and Gears of War. If Gears of War 3 was the worst game ever, they would still give it a 5/5
h1tm0nl33
11/18/2008 11:12 PM (UTC)
ermac took the words from my mouth if its halo it gets a 5 if dont hype it up the ass it will get "fair score"
jbthrash
11/18/2008 11:15 PM (UTC)
They gave Fable 2 a 5/5. I'll never forgive them for that.
sonicherosfan1
11/18/2008 11:17 PM (UTC)
I agree with x-plays review as well.

I didn't expect it to get more then a 3/5 maybe 4 at best but that's sort of pushing things.Its still a good score imo but to be honest there wasn't anything in that review that isn't really true.
SubMan799
11/18/2008 11:18 PM (UTC)
Pred, I play online and have yet to be disconnected. The only glitch I found online is that I froze in place once, and had to be hit before I could move again. That sucked. Also, there's input lag, but every fighting game has that.

Also, yeah why are the servers down?
ThePredator151
About Me
The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
- Lead Graphic Designer - Mortal Kombat Online -

:G-play

:Story

:F-Design

:Cutout

:Get Sig

:Raiden

:Fans [1] [2]

:#LegendaryArts

11/19/2008 02:58 AM (UTC)
SubMan799 Wrote:
Pred, I play online and have yet to be disconnected. The only glitch I found online is that I froze in place once, and had to be hit before I could move again. That sucked. Also, there's input lag, but every fighting game has that.

Also, yeah why are the servers down?

Oh yea, that "froze in place" thing happened to me twice today (exactly as you described it too). It's not terrible by itself, but all these things happening inconsistently, but together, hurts the value of the game. And more importantly, how playable the game is.

I had to play something like 20 matches today, if that gives any idea to how often I saw a bug, glitch, or was disconnected from a match. We'll see if I can't bump my rank so I can brag a little bit. lol Right now I'm somewhere in the low 500's(like 503 or something). If I breach the top 100 or 50 I'll be satisfied.
mercenarydartz
11/19/2008 03:43 AM (UTC)
3 out of 5 is right. After you play the story mode and beat arcade there's no replay value. If you can't play this online you'll put this away quickly...
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.