Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 2 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Round 1: FIGHT!
Kano (60%)
Tremor (40%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • May 26th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Concept Artist Shares Static & More [Read On]
  • May 24th, 2017
    E3 Coliseum Guest Ed Boon to Chat Mortal Kombat 25th [Read On]
  • May 24th, 2017
    Mortal Kombat X Mobile - Tanya Challenge [Read On]
  • May 22nd, 2017
    Injustice 2: Fighter Pack 1 Character Renders [Read On]
  • May 18th, 2017
    Oren Uziel Discusses Mortal Kombat Movie Script [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

General Discussion

Discussing Anything and Everything That isn't MK.
Page of 3

~Crow~Posted: 06/26/2009 11:58 PMStatus ::
Warner Bros. Officially Wins Bid For Midway

Earlier today, multimedia conglomerate Warner Bros. emerged as the sole bidder on struggling video game developer and publisher Midway, therefore winning by default, LA Times reports:

After Warner Bros. lobbed its offer in May, Midway had hoped to spark a bidding war that would jack up the price. A Chicago investment group and several game publishers had been kicking the tires at Midway, according to a source familiar with the discussions. But none pulled the trigger on a deal.

"No other bids came in, so there's not going to be an auction," confirmed Midway's spokesman, Geoff Mogilner.

As reported earlier however, several complaints including one from Larry Kasanoff of Threshold Entertainment must be resolved before the sale is final. These hearings will begin on July 1st, 2009. Warner Bros. will then absorb many of Midway's assets, including the Mortal Kombat series and the Chicago studios which develop it.

To read the article in full, click here. We will keep you posted on the progress of this sale as the information becomes available early next month.

GarladorPosted: 06/27/2009 12:00 AMStatus ::

Visits::11510
Nationality::United States
RE: Warner Bros. Officially Wins Bid For Midway

Well, at the very least, this means more Mortal Kombat, though I eagerly and skeptically await to see what sort of Mortal Kombat is created through this interesting turn of events.

SubMan799Posted: 06/27/2009 12:17 AMStatus ::

Visits::15185
Nationality::Vatican City

awesome

billyragePosted: 06/27/2009 12:43 AMStatus ::

Visits::2750

I am so glad this is almost over, heres to a hopefully good MK game.

(Erik)Posted: 06/27/2009 12:55 AMStatus ::

Visits::26952
Nationality::Ireland

Aw, there were no other bids. That's sad.

JerrodPosted: 06/27/2009 01:18 AMStatus ::

Visits::9114
Nationality::Canada

I trust Warner Bros. and expect great things from the Midway team now that they are in capable hands who won't rush them.

MKO Moderator, Story Writer, Actor
*Signature by Pred*
Vash_15Posted: 06/27/2009 01:19 AMStatus ::

Visits::11780

WOOHOO, hopefully this will mean the return of MK comics ass well, words can no longer express my happiness

GrotesquetheBeastPosted: 06/27/2009 01:40 AMStatus ::

Visits::2304

aww, noone else wants midway. lol

I need a new sig, something with Kabal from UMK3 would be sweet. Just imagine that here
Ninja_MimePosted: 06/27/2009 01:49 AMStatus ::

Visits::20778
Nationality::Sweden

This is great news.

SubMan799Posted: 06/27/2009 02:34 AMStatus ::

Visits::15185
Nationality::Vatican City

So what now? Warner Bros. can now produce MK games? No more legal crap? Does that mean we can see a new Mortal Kombat game soon?

m0s3pHPosted: 06/27/2009 02:44 AMStatus ::

Visits::15664

*facepalm*

ThePredator151Posted: 06/27/2009 03:45 AMStatus ::

Visits::1543

SubMan799 Wrote:
So what now? Warner Bros. can now produce MK games? No more legal crap? Does that mean we can see a new Mortal Kombat game soon?

It means they're gonna get quiet for a bit, haha.... I'd imagine what happens first, is everyone involved gets briefed, and whipped into "WB shape". It could work a little bit like a military with a new General at the helm. If it's like that, what they could have done is said something like:

"As soon as the deal is official, Mortal Kombat is a definite *Go* for the next project..."

...But hopefully, juust hopefully, we'll get to see a modern version of the MK4 campaign launch when all the BS settles. We might notice Boon and the gangs absence almost immediately because they'd get to be too busy. I really hope it works out like that. Game, tour, merchandise, maybe even a movie....the works.

"Legal crap" is always gonna be there, and I have no idea what this means for when a next MK game will be released. Speculation?

This news could mean that their budget was just solidified, and they can move forward on the next project immediately. Or that a sort of halt in business in order until the little leftovers (paperwork) are dealt with. WB could even want them to get in line with their fiscal cycles too. Who knows?

I'm glad they're outta limbo, I'll say that much. And I hope the resulting affect of this deal is positively profound.

Give me movie-like martial arts+graphic novel+terrifying fantasy+realistic graphics = Modern MK!

The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
- Lead Graphic Designer - Mortal Kombat Online -

:G-play :Story :F-Design :Cutout :Get Sig :Raiden :Fans [1] [2] :#LegendaryArts
RiyakouPosted: 06/27/2009 04:54 AMStatus ::

Visits::5623

Oh god, I hope they keep that logo out of the games.

I know I'm most likely the only person standing on my side of the battlefield, but I just hope nothing gets even worse than all that has already happened.

In other words, DON'T GET RID OF QUAN CHI! PLEASE!

JohnBoyAdvancePosted: 06/27/2009 06:29 AMStatus ::

Visits::12923
Nationality::United Kingdom

The endgame begins...

*close up shot of shifty eyes*

General good news then really, there is a future.

kingjollyPosted: 06/27/2009 06:49 AMStatus ::

Visits::11348
Nationality::Nigeria

I'm happy. I just hopeThreshold and the other lawsuits don't hold them back. I feel a bit sorry for all the crap Midway has had to face over the last few years. It would be nice if Warner Bros restores them to their former glory.

fedegitaPosted: 06/27/2009 07:00 AMStatus ::

Visits::4675
Nationality::Australia

meh. at least it's a step in some direction.

Chill728Posted: 06/27/2009 08:25 AMStatus ::

Visits::165

I'm surprised WB was the only bidder.

ShinomunePosted: 06/27/2009 08:35 AMStatus ::

Visits::8727
Nationality::Spain

Great news. I hope that soon Newcastle & San Diego studios will find a new home...

TheAdderPosted: 06/27/2009 08:38 AMStatus ::

Visits::1903

Fault me for being an optimist if you must, but I say that WB buying Midway leads to the end of at least one legal problem, probably more.

They've got plenty of money to throw at these situations.

ThrawnPosted: 06/27/2009 09:58 AMStatus ::

Visits::296

Finally. Now work on MK9 can really begin in earnest. I think for the most part mk9 has been in legal limbo. Now that they have been bought it is time to finalize and get everything in order.

But correct me if I am wrong but this now means that there is no guarrantee that Ed Boon and co. are going to stay a part of mk right? I hope they get to stay. But I am not sure what kind of deal they struck but I would imagine that like any corporated deal WB is under no obligation to keep the old staff.

I look forward to hearing an update from Ed or someone.

ShingoEXPosted: 06/27/2009 11:02 AMStatus ::

Visits::31468

Well, Boon and crew have supposedly been doing prelim work on MK9, and I think it would be a completel waste to drop them from the project.

devilwithinPosted: 06/27/2009 11:14 AMStatus ::

Visits::12222
Nationality::Scotland

(Erik) Wrote:
Aw, there were no other bids. That's sad.

but funny

The boy kicked out at the world. The world kicked back a lot fuckin' harder.

MK Online Featured User 31/3/2010 12/4/2011
-----------------------Gifts-----------------------
Shinnok-fan64 - s3Kt0r
~Crow~Posted: 06/27/2009 12:16 PMStatus ::

Visits::39491
Nationality::Antarctica

Thrawn Wrote:
Finally. Now work on MK9 can really begin in earnest. I think for the most part mk9 has been in legal limbo. Now that they have been bought it is time to finalize and get everything in order.

But correct me if I am wrong but this now means that there is no guarrantee that Ed Boon and co. are going to stay a part of mk right? I hope they get to stay. But I am not sure what kind of deal they struck but I would imagine that like any corporated deal WB is under no obligation to keep the old staff.

Warner Bros. acquires the Midway studio in Chicago, which is where the MK team does the work on the series. They wouldn't have been interested in acquiring the offices if they didn't want to keep the development team. I tried to allude to that.

Nic-VPosted: 06/27/2009 01:14 PMStatus ::

Visits::2909
Nationality::Denmark

~Crow~ Wrote:
Thrawn Wrote:

Warner Bros. acquires the Midway studio in Chicago, which is where the MK team does the work on the series. They wouldn't have been interested in acquiring the offices if they didn't want to keep the development team. I tried to allude to that.

Indeed it looks like the team and a new game are already safe. Now some of the characters are the only thing left in legal limbo

ThrawnPosted: 06/27/2009 02:31 PMStatus ::

Visits::296

No I got that Crow. I think is makes perfect sense to keep the MK team since they created the franchise and have been proven to have a successful financial track record. However whatever the terms of the deal are I am somewhat familiar with the way corporate offices work and quite frankly whatever makes sense is usually not what they do in the long term.

I for one want the mk team to continue on at Warner Bros and make some damn good games. I love those guys. While I support the Warner Bros purchase, now it comes time to deal with the giant corporate entity known as Time Warner. Let's pray for the best. I sometimes think lacking common sense is a prerequisite for be a member of the corporate offices.

Page of 3

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.