Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (22.4%)
Jade (46.9%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (22.4%)
Freddy Krueger (8.1%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • October 15th, 2017
    Lost Kontent: Raiden Adventure Game Screenshot [Read On]
  • October 15th, 2017
    Raiden Strikes in Injustice 2 Mobile [Read On]
  • October 5th, 2017
    Xavier Woods is Raiden in WWE Immortals [Read On]
  • October 5th, 2017
    Hi-Res Injustice Raiden & Black Lightning Artwork [Read On]
  • October 3rd, 2017
    First-Look Trailer Introduces Atom to Injustice 2 [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Media & Merchandise

Discussing Mortal Kombat in Movies, Television, New Media and Merchandising.
Page of 2

DArqueBishopPosted: 01/26/2010 10:23 AMStatus ::
Bloody Disgusting Reports Mortal Kombat Movie Reboot in the Works

The folks over at Bloody Disgusting are reporting that Warner Bros. are in the process of making a new Mortal Kombat movie; as earlier reports have rumored, this movie will supposedly be a reboot of the movie franchise. The screenwriter is a virtual unknown, but has won an award for his previous unfilmed work. From the story:

Bloody Disgusting received word that Warner Bros. Pictures has been looking to redo Mortal Kombat with Oren Uziel in talks to write. Based on Midway's popular 1992 video game, the franchise follows the best fighters from around the globe who are summoned to an island to compete in a tournament whose outcome will determine the fate of the entire planet. Uziel's Shimmer Lake made the 2009 black list, which features the best unproduced screenplays around Hollywood.

While virtually nothing else about this reboot is known at this point, it would make sense that Warner Bros. is moving to make a new movie; with having acquired the MK license from Midway, Warner Bros. would want to take advantage of their new property as quickly as possible.

We'll keep an eye on this story, and will report anything new as soon as we hear it.

Our thanks to forum member -[?]- for letting us know about this story!

seanayPosted: 01/26/2010 10:46 AMStatus ::

Visits::9273
Nationality::United Kingdom
RE: Bloody Disgusting Reports Mortal Kombat Movie Reboot in the Works

I hope it will be Gory and not T rated :S

tgrantPosted: 01/26/2010 11:02 AMStatus ::

Visits::61660
Nationality::England

I'm all for a new movie as long as the cast and story are good. I just hope the series justice if they do decide to go ahead with it.

Project MKK: Coming soon...

Currently working on: MKD & MKA - The One Ring Theory
MK_Fanatic_Posted: 01/26/2010 11:27 AMStatus ::

Visits::458
Nationality::Canada

Hopefully they will expand on Sub-Zero and Scorpion's rivalry and give them some decent screen time

ALSO

If this screenwriter knows his Mortal Kombat, maybe we will get to see Scorpion kill the original Sub-Zero for the first time

NathanPosted: 01/26/2010 11:28 AMStatus ::

Visits::3962
Nationality::Germany

Ah, finally. About time that we finally get a new movie. I hope it'll be finally be R, with blood and gruesome deaths, but it doesn't really need to be too gory.

I want some level of realism. I don't want any of these game kills, where everyone can effortlessly rip off limbs or pull out organs.

ThrawnPosted: 01/26/2010 02:47 PMStatus ::

Visits::296
Nationality::United States

Nothing surprising here. Warner Bros would be foolish to do otherwise. I want it to have a somewhat serious tone. I don't have much hope for that but we'll see if this goes anywhere. I want it to be R-rated but I would bet money we get a PG-13 film.

Oh well. Here's hoping this turns out good for the future of the franchise.

Go Mortal Kombat!

MINIONPosted: 01/26/2010 02:54 PMStatus ::

Visits::11469

I'm all for it. I hope they make some wise decisions.

Groundbreaking Debut | You[Tube] | deviantART | Twitter
mkdfanPosted: 01/26/2010 03:13 PMStatus ::

Visits::8517
Nationality::England

Ooo awesome!

I hope this actually makes MK look cool rather than cheesy.

I can see how it will happen.
MK9 will sell more than any game in history. Hungry for more, the fans want a movie... and they get one that brings the highest box office earnings ever!

*wakes up from dream*

Thanks for the info!

sonicherosfan1Posted: 01/26/2010 05:49 PMStatus ::

Visits::2646

well,I am actually excited even though this isn't much,its still nice to hear something about the third movie,even if it is a remake or reboot or revision or w.e. lol edit I personally don't want a reboot or w.e the hell these new ppl call remakes now a days. I rather see a sequel to the 1995 movie and just act like the second one never happen in 1997 lol Anyways,I hope its a good movie either way they go and I sincerely hope they get it right and to me,R rated or not, I hope they don't ruin the MK name. You can do more these days in PG-13 movies then you could back in 1997 so you never know and don't hate it just cause it may end up having a PG-13 rating.

evildevilPosted: 01/26/2010 07:01 PMStatus ::

Visits::5594

Aww. I expected to hear that the movie was going to be bloody disgusting.

-Jim
JadedReignPosted: 01/26/2010 08:00 PMStatus ::

Visits::1603

I'm suspicious about the thought of rebooting MK. I don't like reboots/remakes much.

ReikoJrPosted: 01/26/2010 08:35 PMStatus ::

Visits::1528

PG-13 seems to be the new "R" WB can make it R and still bank. If they take their time and not rush it thinking people will see it just cuz of the name (See Fox's SF and Dragonball). I wish they did a movie based on Sub-Zero Mythologies. Explnd Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Raiden, Quan Chi, Smoke (ninja) and then have the ending of the movie set up for the 1st MK tournament (like it did in the game) w/ the Lin Kuei going after Shang Tsung.

-You're leading 2 things: Jack and Sh*t.....and Jack left town
ZentilePosted: 01/26/2010 09:23 PMStatus ::

Visits::13932
Nationality::Portugal

Hey remember when a director was confirmed? Remember when writers were confirmed before as well? Remember when an actor was confirmed?

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

colt1107Posted: 01/27/2010 12:25 AMStatus ::

Visits::2173

I hope this actually turns into something. I just don't wanna see the same actors as was supposedly confirmed for the next mk. I wanna see something follow the mk storyline too. But that's too much to ask I bet. Wb is going in the right direction though

Libertarian 4 Life
sonicherosfan1Posted: 01/27/2010 01:06 AMStatus ::

Well,assuming all this news is real,then I can only assume we probably won't see it released until summer of 2011 and thats also assuming its not going straight to video.

I wonder when we might get a blu ray release of MK1&2 and of MKC.

WarladyPosted: 01/27/2010 07:13 AMStatus ::

Visits::3884
Nationality::Italy

JadedReign Wrote:
I'm suspicious about the thought of rebooting MK. I don't like reboots/remakes much.

Ok, but if we talk about the movie adaptations, they are so cheap they can be erased without regret IMHO.

NTO CULU
JerrodPosted: 01/27/2010 09:22 AMStatus ::

Visits::9114
Nationality::Canada

Zentile Wrote:
Hey remember when a director was confirmed? Remember when writers were confirmed before as well? Remember when an actor was confirmed?

This. I have confidence in WB though, so hopefully we will get that information soon - but not before a good script is written up.

MKO Moderator, Story Writer, Actor
*Signature by Pred*
Sadistic_FreakPosted: 01/27/2010 01:37 PMStatus ::

Visits::508
Nationality::Philippines

It better be good and it should have some MK2 characters in it too like Kitana, Mileena, Jade, Jax, Kung Lao, and Baraka. There should be new characters introduced too (similar to what happened in the Resident Evil movies).

You-Know-WhoPosted: 01/27/2010 02:33 PMStatus ::

Visits::1538

This is awesome news, in my opinion. Remakes/reboots have been done fairly well in the adaptation world recently. For example, the Batman franchise. Christopher Nolan breathed some epic life into that. If the writer takes the story to heart (like any true reboot should do), then we might actually get an accurate MK movie.

A problem with the concept of a Mortal Kombat film, is that people expect deaths and shit, but then you kill off characters who have a purpose later in the franchise. Either this should be stand-alone, or they should go in with the idea of minimalising blood and gore for scenes that matter. Instead of making the tournament a "fight to the death," give it honourable rules. You could still have some moments of extreme violence, though -- Sub-Zero V's death, potentially some flashbacks (a fight scene between Sub-Zero and Hanzo Hasashi, for example), the massacre of Sonya's team, etc. These will stand out more if they are put in selectively, anyway.

A fight scene like Sonya vs. Kano could be well done without being over-the-top. Kano could actually win, then spare Sonya so she has to live with the knowledge that Kano is the reason her team is dead. It never happened in the games, but perhaps Kano could physically scar Sonya with his knife, giving her the look of a beautiful woman scarred? Something like that could be a detail of the movie that the video games have not included.

They shouldn't be afraid to leave it on a cliffhanger, though. Liu Kang returns after defeating Shang Tsung (sparing his life because he is not like him), only to find the Shaolin monks slaughtered, and a challenge to enter Outworld being left behind -- as Kung Lao shows up and perhaps has an exchange of dialogue with Liu Kang.

sonicherosfan1Posted: 01/27/2010 09:56 PMStatus ::

I can't believe I have read,oh if its not rated R I am not gonna go see it,then I have read,oh it better have this and that or else it will suck. Those are some pretty stupid reasons why some people won't see it. We don't even know what the story is about yet or anything other then the news there is so far. All I will say is,it just better be a good movie. The first MK movie didn't have gross hardcore fatalities and I damn well know most of you all enjoyed it and had a good time watching it. I can deal with a PG-13 MK movie in the theatres and wouldn't mind see a unrated version on dvd and blu ray with the gore stuff added in,least they make lots of money in the theatre and we get to see those fatalities at home. Its a win win imo

Since ign,gamespot and bloody-disgusting are all reporting on it,I am pretty sure this crazy thing is bound to happen. Maybe they will wait and see how the new MK game does before starting production.

GrotesquetheBeastPosted: 01/27/2010 11:04 PMStatus ::

Visits::2304

Zentile Wrote:

Warner Brothers gets shit done....I hope

I need a new sig, something with Kabal from UMK3 would be sweet. Just imagine that here
Alpha_Q_Up_Is_BackPosted: 01/28/2010 01:01 AMStatus ::

Visits::2147
Nationality::Vatican City

Straight to DVD

ZentilePosted: 01/28/2010 04:55 PMStatus ::

Visits::13932
Nationality::Portugal

It wouldn't make sense to make a sequel of MKA. It's been over ten years, MK wasn't that big of a franchise. It's a lot more important to introduce new fans to the franchise than please the few that actually want to see what happens after MKA.

I don't agree with the idea of creating original characters for the movie though, unless it's small roles like what happened in the first movie (Master Boyd, Art Lean) or if it takes place in the past like MKC.

IcebabyPosted: 01/29/2010 09:30 AMStatus ::

Visits::11647

Despite that, "Omigosh news finally some news," has been brought to our attention about the movie, still, there's nothing interesting about that post. I do intend to believe that if this movie will exist in the future, it's either going to be like what Alpha said and go straight to DVD, or, be one of the worst movies ever to come out such as Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li, Ninja Assassin, and whatever movie was listed as number 1 on Rottentomatoes.com as the worst movie ever within the last ten years.

Apocalypse27Posted: 01/30/2010 01:59 PMStatus ::

Visits::373

For those of you worried about this possible movie. Just think of it like this....

It CAN'T possibly be as worse as the last MK movie. It's just not possible.

That is all.

Page of 2

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.