Story Discussion/Theories
posted06/16/2014 01:29 AM (UTC)by
Vash_15
About Me
First post!

On a serious note:

We all know that Raiden from MKA tells Raiden from MK1 what's up, and that there will be story changes, Speculate here! Since instead of making 100 different, threads, why not have 1 easy one? A major point I've been seeing around is the Sub Zeros. About the older one.younger one and the younger one possibly becoming a cyborg. Anyway, my thoughts are that Older Sub Zero will find out from Raiden about becoming Noob Saibot (raiden telling him in hopes he can prevent it) and Older SZ liking the idea. He becomes Noob and Sub Zero becomes darker because his brother openly abandoned him and the Lin Kuei, which is why he looks so pissed (no scar til MK3 anyway).

Another popular theory seems to be that Older SZ will STAY SZ and that when Boon said there would be a cyborg that wasn't a cyborg (if he meant it and wasn't just giving a vague example) younger SZ would be cyborg'd. Although another theory is older SZ could be captured and younger one takes up the mantle to preserve his memory. Yet somehow I hope nothing changes between them, because I wouldn't feel right if Scorpion doesn't get his vengeance on Sub Zero.
kombat_king
06/19/2010 04:19 AM (UTC)
It's possible that all those different stories could be in the game, depending on whose story you're playing.
Vash_15
About Me
06/19/2010 04:32 AM (UTC)
Eh, something tells me there won't be completely individual storylines. Maybe the same story from others' points of view, but not a completely different story each time
RazorsEdge701
06/19/2010 05:37 AM (UTC)
TMK has an interview with Ed that just went up on Youtube where Ed says the story mode is just like MK vs DCU's except there's not two sides and it's longer than the two sides combined were.
kombat_king
06/19/2010 07:24 AM (UTC)
Dammit, i want a completely different story for each character... I just think it makes more sense that way
Apocalypse27
06/19/2010 09:02 AM (UTC)
kombat_king Wrote:
Dammit, i want a completely different story for each character... I just think it makes more sense that way

See, but that's the problem. If you do that, and have all these separate endings, then this is just dejavu all over again, and you have 100 different endings, nothing concrete, and the storyline is still convoluted. (Hope I spelled that right. lol)

Or maybe I misunderstood you. Maybe you mean have each character with a different story, but different as in you see the story play out from their perspective. Although, to do that for 26 different characters would take quite a lot of work and time.

But if it really might be something along the lines of MK vs DC's storyline and even longer than both of those combined, I don't mind it, because you'll be experiencing the story from all the characters' perspective anyways.

So you guys think that it's more likely that we will get a story mode and not a konquest mode? I really enjoyed Konquest mode in MKD and MKA, but if story mode really is that long, elaborate, and is done well, I don't mind that either.
Leo
About Me

06/19/2010 09:56 AM (UTC)
Apocalypse27 Wrote:But if it really might be something along the lines of MK vs DC's storyline and even longer than both of those combined, I don't mind it, because you'll be experiencing the story from all the characters' perspective anyways.

I suspected this is where they were gonna go with it. I like the idea, but what concerns me is that once you play through a certain character's chapter, they'll take a back seat and lose relevancy in the rest of the story in favor of those who come next. Do you guys kinda get what I'm saying? This would make it so that the last character you play with becomes the most important, while the first becomes completely irrelevant after the first chapter, with maybe a cameo here and there.

I guess they could deter this effect by having multiple chapters for each character, chapters that span throughout the story. Hmm...

Medusa
06/19/2010 12:41 PM (UTC)
Agreed. This would make story mode more fun in that it would keep you in anticipation who you would be playing as next.
Shinomune
06/20/2010 01:05 AM (UTC)
Well, discarting the evident paradox (if Raiden avoids the Armageddon, he never been enlightened and send a message to his MK1 himself), any change in past-present will create a "butterfly effect" in the knowing storyline.

Based on that, the best option (in my humble opinion always) will be that some decisions will lead to point A or point B.

Examples:

-Raiden saves Elder Sub-Zero against Scorpion. Then Younger Sub-Zero never leaves Lin Kuei, and he become Hydro/Cyber Sub-Zero.

-Sonya Blade kills Kano in MK1. Raiden thinks that she loses her way, and left her behind when Shang Tsung's Island collapses. Shao Kahn saves her life, and she becomes his new wife/daddy's girl/general.

-Kitana fights Mileena in MK2. But instead of finish her, she leaves to help Liu Kang & Kung Lao. Sub-Zero and Smoke finds her, and put with them to the Lin Kuei. And Sub-Zero & Smoke were able to escape, but not Mileena, and she becomes a pink cyber-assassin, and her quote will be "bite my metal ass bitch".

I really really expect somethings like that, not a unique ending, but some diferents, and with the reaction of the fans, choose one for MK10...
ThePredator151
About Me
The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
- Lead Graphic Designer - Mortal Kombat Online -

:G-play

:Story

:F-Design

:Cutout

:Get Sig

:Raiden

:Fans [1] [2]

:#LegendaryArts

06/20/2010 06:10 AM (UTC)
Raiden could:

** Go on the offensive: Take the war to Kahn in Outworld, and try to kill him before he figures out that Sindel is the key to conquering EarthRealm.

There's tons of miscalculations within a base premise such as that. He could send Earth's Champion into battle prematurely, and as a consequence, get Liu Kang killed much sooner. That way, it wouldn't stop the franchise from producing new games, and still allow new stories to be told.

**Raiden could not take part in Mortal Kombat himself like he did in the beginning.

That way, his mentor-ship would remain A LOT more objective instead of personal.The earlier Raiden did seem more ruth..err..."pro-active" anyway, remember?

**Raiden could kill, or have Shang Tsung killed sooner.

This wouldn't stop the same story from happening the same way, but with Kahn having to "replace" Tsung, that personality change alone could influence the way things happen going forward.

**Raiden could let Kitana know about Kahn early.

Kitana's an assassin...she could kill Kahn for us really early. That way, we get a new boss come MK10.

--

Some ideas anyway. They're bias in the way that it makes Raiden's decisions more aggressive alot sooner in the previous timeline but, it's definitely a change with dramatic effect. I just hope it's good no matter what though. To do what they did with this concept has to have alot of confidence behind it. Especially considering Boon looks at this game as a sort of service to more of the core fanbase.
Vash_15
About Me
06/20/2010 03:45 PM (UTC)
While those are some good ideas, there are a few minor problems

**Go on the offensive
Weren't a lot fo the characters brought into the MK world because OUTWORLD was on the offensive? Take the war to Outworld and you take out those characters

**Raiden not in MK1
Didn't shang Tsung invite Raiden for a reason? Can't quite remember...

**Kill Tsung sooner
Tsung is seen alive in the trailer, which leads me to believe he is there and quite active, so something tells me that's not happening

**Have Kitana kill Kahn
Without Kahn a lot of the characters would lose their motivation and be a lot less interesting, then again, on the other hand the others could be a lot MORE interesting.
hello,i would just like to start by saying i’m new here. i used to be on midway forums for a couple of months,but my computer died,and by the time i got anything with internet midway was bankrupt,but found this site and it seemed more suitible. now that the formalities are over with to the topic
i see raiden winning the mk 1 tournament in a way to prevent liu kang's fate. This would also lead to raiden dealing with the invasion personally. I think mkvsdc may have given the developers the feeling that raiden can be a main character,and the story of mortal kombat 9 seems to back that up. The tournament victory would give raiden a good launching point for any other changes. As a fan of liu kang i don't know what he will do because being the hero was his identity,but it should be ineresting to see. Also i kind of want to see a slightly happier ending. Not a cheesy everyone hugs type,but somethin with a positive edge,because the last few were downers.
TheBigCityToilet
06/20/2010 08:56 PM (UTC)
I still say that Raiden gets too hyper in trying to change the past and won't listen to reason from his friends and superiors. Eventually he goes power-mad and bam, new boss.
Dibula
About Me

06/21/2010 04:07 AM (UTC)
I didn't read through thread so I'm not sure if this has been posted. If the developers are aware of the paradox mindfuck Raiden did to himself, then it seems the only possible outcome would be Raiden's death. He probably sent himself that vision in a state of desperation, without thinking about what has already been destined by the elder gods. Armageddon was meant to happen, the creators of existence prophesized that. Even if Raiden does change the events that lead up to Armageddon, the only way his message could be sent and received is if Raiden is facing his imminent death at the hands of a foe during a final battle of the combatants. The one thing we will probably see is the permanent death of Khan and Raiden.
ThunderThighs
06/21/2010 10:25 AM (UTC)
I think the story is brilliant, personally. The "back to the future" element is a fun/new way to go back to the original trilogy and shake things up without totally doin a dingus drop on all the other sequels...

I just hope Raiden doesn't get too worked by Shao Kahn in the opening! yeesh! wow
kombat_king
06/21/2010 12:01 PM (UTC)
I'm getting a feeling that (for whatever reason) Raiden is going to decide that the only way to prevent Armageddon is to make the earth warriors lose.
ThunderThighs
06/21/2010 11:22 PM (UTC)
but wouldn't they be dead?? confused

I think Ed Boon said that somebody besides Liu Kang would win previously but I think it has to be somebody good like Kung Lao or Johnny Cage in order for Earthrealm to survive.

Vasculio
06/22/2010 04:47 AM (UTC)
Raiden doesn't save Sub-Zero... at all! He made it clear to Sub-Zero that he is in charge of his own outcome... so if Sub-Zero did survive it wont be because of Raiden.
Raiden will focus on Shang Tsung and Shao Kahn. If Raiden is to go out of his way to save someone. Its going to be Liu Kang... and im pretty sure he is going to track down Shujinko and warn him to abandon his question that will lead to Onaga resurrection.
Might even bump into Fujin, to prepare him for the coming events and he will most likely be getting intel on Quan Chi as well as Shinnok as well.
Shadaloo
About Me
MK Khronology: 58.49% complete...
06/23/2010 10:55 PM (UTC)
As I've posted elsewhere, I am 100% certain that Goro or Shang Tsung will win the MK1 tournament, thus leading to an immediate invasion. If past Raiden learns from future Raiden that no matter what, Kahn is going to invade (MK3), then there's no point in any of his chosen warriors taking part in Shang's tournament, so Shang & Goro take it without contest. Raiden will probably lead his heroes into Outworld himself after pulling them out of the tourney. This accounts for MK1-3 backgrounds and cast all appearing at once (minus the Cyber-ninjas, who could be automating early for any number of reasons - perhaps as a response to the invasion), whereas the MK1-3 saga seemed to take place over a longish timeframe (I'd estimate maybe a year). It doesn't account for Sindel, however - I have no clue how she'd come back assuming my scenario happens. Maybe Raiden could bring her back himself to turn Kitana against him.

Just some rough theories.
Apocalypse27
06/24/2010 12:21 AM (UTC)
Shadaloo Wrote:
As I've posted elsewhere, I am 100% certain that Goro or Shang Tsung will win the MK1 tournament, thus leading to an immediate invasion. If past Raiden learns from future Raiden that no matter what, Kahn is going to invade (MK3), then there's no point in any of his chosen warriors taking part in Shang's tournament, so Shang & Goro take it without contest. Raiden will probably lead his heroes into Outworld himself after pulling them out of the tourney. This accounts for MK1-3 backgrounds and cast all appearing at once (minus the Cyber-ninjas, who could be automating early for any number of reasons - perhaps as a response to the invasion), whereas the MK1-3 saga seemed to take place over a longish timeframe (I'd estimate maybe a year). It doesn't account for Sindel, however - I have no clue how she'd come back assuming my scenario happens. Maybe Raiden could bring her back himself to turn Kitana against him.

Just some rough theories.

I dunno if I really agree with this.

I just can't imagine that Raiden will simply allow Shang Tsung or Goro to win MK and give Outworld a free pass at Earthrealm, whether Kahn invades or not.

In your scenario, I think Earthrealm will still win, whether it's Liu Kang or someone else, but at the same time, Raiden will have some type of plan knowing that Kahn resurrects Sindel and invades.
SubMan799
06/24/2010 01:59 AM (UTC)
a healthy copypasta of my ideas from Casselman's thread

When someone dies in MK, they need to stay dead. Only Noob and Scorpion should break this rule. If Mileena get's her head cut off by Kitana, she needs to stay dead. If Baraka is cut in half by Kung Lao, he needs to die.

Something interesting they can do is add closure to this chapter of MK. You know, kill Kahn, Shang Tsung, Kung Lao, Johnny Cage and all the other people that should have died in the MK-MK3 arc. It'd be interesting to see. Make the sequel a sort of transition game where Raiden gives up his position to Fujin, Sub-Zero becomes the Grand Master, Liu Kang retires, Sonya finally finishes off the Black Dragon, ect. Then the next game could really be the next generation of MK. Similar to SFIII

It'd be pretty fun to see imo
spineripper
06/26/2010 06:13 PM (UTC)
You know what's funny?
nobody seems to remember that Armageddon left us with a evil Raiden. I know we remember his mkdc look but this one is following armageddon. So exactly how is Raiden turned back to his "light" side?
Joe-Von-Zombie
About Me

Sig by MINION

06/27/2010 04:09 PM (UTC)
spineripper Wrote:
You know what's funny?
nobody seems to remember that Armageddon left us with a evil Raiden. I know we remember his mkdc look but this one is following armageddon. So exactly how is Raiden turned back to his "light" side?

yeah I was curious about that too.
T-rex
About Me

06/27/2010 11:19 PM (UTC)
Some good points in the thread so far,guys.

-Dark Raiden. The resolution of this subplot is extremely important. Remember,Dark Raiden's motivation was to preserve Earthrealm by any means possible. He will never just hand it to Kahn.

-FINDING SHUJINKO AND TELLING HIM TO CUT THE BULLSHIT IS TOP FUCKING PRIORITY. Onaga's resurrection was the beginning of the end for the realms.

-The Kamidogu in general and the Amulet specifically. If I remember correctly,Shinnok already has the Amulet in his possession after the events of Mythologies,so by the time the MK tournament rolls around,it's too late to do anything about it then. Still,it's something to be wary of.

-Taven and Daegon's quest. At this point,Daegon has probably been awake for centuries,so he is probably far too gone under Shinnok's influence to do anything about that. If I were Raiden,I would keep an eye out for those two. Blaze too.

-Fujin needs to become Raiden's successor. I've been saying that since Armageddon was announced. Fujin is Raiden's very own creation. Out of the four elemental gods charged with protecting the Amulet in Mythologies,he is the only one that came into his own. I say this needs to be taken even further. Raiden's corruption and disobedience are becoming a nuisance to the Elder Gods,I'm sure they want to get rid of him somehow. Seeing two gods duke it out over who gets to be the Protector of Earthrealm would be the greatest fucking thing. Fujin takes Raiden's place and guides the next generation of Earth warriors in their fight against interdimensional invaders. Awesome. Personally,I would love to see a more light-hearted protector. Remember how Raiden was portrayed in MK Conquest? He was a total troll who appeared out of nowhere,cracked a couple of jokes and disappeared just as fast,but he knew perfectly well when to stop joking around and serious the fuck up. I would love to see Fujin with that kind of personality.

-The way I see it,Boon's comment about "someone who wasn't cyberized before becoming a cyborg" can really mean only one thing - younger Sub will become a cyborg. I mean,we don't really know any other Lin Kuei members. The problem with that is that the younger Sub will eventually grow into one of the greatest defenders of Earthrealm. Without him and the assistance of his reformed Lin Kuei,Earth warriors will be severely weakened in the future.

Now remember,in the current timeline,Sub and Smoke tried to escape from Lin Kuei together once they learned about the Grandmaster's cyberization project. Sub got lucky. Smoke didn't. Maybe it'll happen the other way around this time... Raiden has to realize it's a shitty tradeoff,though,since Smoke,as cool as he is,doesn't have one tenth of the potential that Sub-Zero has.

...I just thought of another possibility.

Older Sub learns of the cyberization project and volunteers for it.

Either in exchange for the promise that his younger brother won't suffer the same fate,or because he somehow learns that he ends up becoming Noob Saibot and finds that the idea of growing stronger by any means necessary appeals to him.

-Now that we're done talking about Sub-Zero,Scorpion is another factor to consider. Under the right circumstances,he be a great ally to the forces of good,but he's been shown to be extremely fucking easily manipulable in the past. Measures have to be taken by Raiden to somehow protect him from Quan Chi's bullshit. The problem is,at the time of MK1,Scorpion is completely consumed by vengeance. He won't listen to anything until he kills Sub-Zero. If I were Raiden,I'd have no idea what the fuck to do here,since the first step to getting Scorpion as an asset to Earthrealm is to just let him kill Sub,and I don't think Raiden would be cool with that. Unless he realizes that no matter what,older Sub is going to turn evil.

-The way I see it,Reptile is just asking to be Earthrealm's secret ally in the Outworld. All you really need to do is reveal to him the truth about the death of his people,get him out from Kahn's and Shang's influence,locate Khameleon and get the two together. Bam,you have an ally right there.

-I'm not sure what to do about Sindel's resurrection. On one hand,allowing Kahn to set foot in the Earthrealm is a terrible thing. On the other hand,some good did come out of it. For one,the government leaders of Earthrealm realized that the threat of interdimensional invasion is very real and allowed for the formation of OIA.

I'll try to think of more later,
warrior
06/28/2010 02:43 AM (UTC)
Eventho Raiden is enlightened in this game and knows the future, im guessing that everything will happen almost exactly the same, except for some MINOR changes. Think about the TV show Heroes and the Terminator movies, even with knowledge of the future, destiny can not be changed. I hope this is the case, bekuz i really wanna see all the events of MK3 in 3D. Raiden will probly try to better prepare the earth warriors. Hopefully in the story mode, he makes them more powerful. In all the games, the story never explained how Johnny and Sonya had super powers. Remember in MKSM, Raiden would hit Liu Kang and Kung Lao with a bolt of magic lightning that would upgrade them. I hope this is shown with all of our heroes.

Some of the changes/retcons/upgrades i would like to see in this game: Raiden enlists Fujin's help alot sooner. Raiden finds shujinko and stops him. Ermac is freed from Shang's control. Smoke is not automated. I still hope older SZ becomes Noob Saibot, that was my favorite plot twist in all of the MKs!!

As for someone else getting automated... i really hope that was just Boon talking out of his ass. He did that quite a few times with the other MK games. LoL. Maybe Frost gets automated. hahaha i pray it isnt subzero, that would be retarded.
Pages: 7
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.