Weapons
posted07/11/2010 12:05 PM (UTC)by
Kinetic
About Me

Okay, I posted a thread like this once before, where I came up with weapons that I believed fit all the characters in the Mortal Kombat series. Well, I've done it again! The list is updated, and I have reasons why I chose which weapons for which characters...and links to pictures. I strayed from any weapons that aren't "real" weapons (except in cases like Baraka and Cyrax), or any "weapons" that are really just fighting styles (like Li Mei's "Kunlun Dao").

Feedback appreciated.

Plus, I want to know what you think?

KOMBATANT
WEAPON
EXPLANATION
Jonathan "Johnny Cage" Carlton
Dual Nunchaku
It's a flashy weapon for a flashy character.
Kano
Dual Butterfly Swords
They're his signature weapon, why change that?
Lord Raiden
Bō Staff
It's his signature weapon, why change that?
Liu Kang
Jian
A standard Chinese straight sword, for a Shaolin Monk.
Hanzo "Scorpion" Hasashi
Jōhyō
It's his signature weapon, and I'd like to see him actually use it as a weapon.
Sub-Zero I / Noob Saibot
Scythe
I think it's the most popular weapon he has ever used (in Mortal Kombat 4)
Lieutenant Sonya Blade
Bayonet
I think it's a weapon she'd likely to have on her (mounted on her firearm), and I always felt like kali sticks weren't sharp enough for her.
Reptile
Cudgel
I feel like he's a very primitive and animalistic character, so I gave him a primitive and animalistic weapon.
Prince Goro
Quadruple Patas
I feel the unique grip would be something beneficial to a Shokan; plus I wanted to give him and the other Shokan Indian weapons, because of their four arms being reminiscent of Hindu deities.
Shang Tsung
Dual Jian
I feel that because of his rivalry with Liu Kang it would be interesting for him to have a similar weapon. Plus I think the straight sword always fit him stylistically.
Kung Lao
Dao
I think it fit him really well in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance and onward. I don't see a need to change it.
Sub-Zero II
Frozen Miao Dao
It's a very long Chinese Dao, Sub-Zero is Chinese, and I think his sword should be very large.
Princess Kitana
Dual Bladed Tessen
It's her signature weapon, there's no need to change it.
Major Jackson "Jax" Briggs
Dual Tekko
I see him as very "hands on" guy, so very short-range weapons, like brass knuckles, fit him.
Mileena
Dual Sias
They're her signature weapons, and they fit her.
Baraka
Tarkattan Blades
Because they're literally attached to him, and because he can pull them off way better than Deadpool?
Jade
Spear
Because Raiden already has a staff, and because half of her endings or other appearances has her using a spear instead of a staff anyway.
Smoke, Unit LK-7T2
Dual Pulse Daggers
Because they're awesome, and robotic, and shiny.
Kintaro
Quadruple Bagh Nakh
Because they translate to "tiger claws," they're short-range and brutal, and they're Indian in origin, (like with Goro and Sheeva) Kintaro's arms are reminiscent of Hindu deities.
Emperor Shao Kahn
Maul War Hammer
It's his signature weapon and it fits him.
Queen Sindel
Cat o' Nine Tails
For some reason her hair always reminded me of whip, and I think it would look very ethereally regal to see her flying with a long whip.
Kurtis Stryker
Dual Nightsticks
They're his signature weapon, blah, blah, blah...
Cyrax, Unit LK-4D4
Pulse Blade
Because it fit him so well from Mortal Kombat 4 to Mortal Kombat: Armageddon.
Sektor, Unit LK-9T9
Double-Sided Pulse Blade
Because I think he can pull it off just as well as Darth Maul.
Nightwolf
Dual Tomahawks
Signature weapon, yadda, yadda, yadda...
Sheeva
Dual Urumis
Because they're beautiful, deadly, Indian in origin (and Sheeva's arms remind me of Hindu deities), and slightly similar to Sindel's cat o' nine tails (and Sheeva is her bodyguard).
Kabal
Dual Hookswords
Because he can pull them off better than Mavado
Motaro
Poleaxe
Because I thought the Centaurs using it in the Mortal Kombat 3 opening looked cool
Ermac
Axe
Because it just fit him so well!
Rain
Scimitar
Because I think it's a unique type of sword that really fits the regal quality of Rain
Chameleon
Ninjatō
Because it's a generic ninja weapon for a generic ninja.
Khameleon
Dual Yuen Yang Razors
They're a little flowery, like Kitana's fans. The dart on the end may resemble Jade's spear. The hand-held quality is similar to Mileena's sais. And its overall design is like Tanya's bladed tonfas.
Kai
Manriki
Because he's a very agile fighter, and I feel that a very agile weapon befits him.
Lord Shinnok
Trident
Because he's always had a staff of some sort. And, because of his devilish nature, I feel that something resembling a pitchfork would fit him very well.
Reiko
Dual Horseman's Picks
Because it's reminiscent of Shao Kahn's hammer, but still distinct.
Jarek
Machete
Because it's a brutal blade for a brutal Black Dragon mercenary.
Tanya
Dual Bladed Tonfas
Because she looked so cool with them in Mortal Kombat: Deception.
Lord Fujin
Three-Sectioned-Staff
Because only a god of wind could successfully manage a weapon that's so hard to control...and so awesome.
Quan Chi
Dual Daos
Because he looked so cool with them in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance.
Meat
Dual Cleavers
Because, seriously, butcher knives for Meat just fit too perfectly.
Master Bo' Rai Cho
Jō Staff
Because it looks very deceptive when the old drunk guy tried to use it as a cane in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance.
Li Mei
Kodachi
Because it's a shorter sword that I felt resembled the one she uses in Mortal Kombat: Deception that I thought worked well with her.
Kenshi
Katana
Um...it's his signature weapon...duh!
Mavado
Sabre
Because I felt he needed something a little more formal, and because Kabal needs the hookswords!
Nitara
Dual Sickles
Because they're reminiscent of death, like scythes, and similar to the kamas she used in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (which I decided to give to Sareena instead).
Drahmin
Iron Club
Because, it's his signature weapon, of course.
Hsu Hao
Dual Deer Horn Knives
Because they're very similar to his Sun Moon blades, but a little more compact (and I like 'em more).
Frost
Dual Frozen Tantōs
Because they just fit her so well in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance...I think it would be cool if they looked like icicles.
Blaze
Dual Flaming Kodachis
Because I think he could handle two swords at once, kodachis are a little shorter, and, seriously, he needs something on fire!
Mokap
Bokken
Because it's a practice weapon, and he never did any real fighting until he mysteriously wound up in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance anyway.
Moloch
Ball & Chain
Because it really fit him, and I think it would be cool to see it as a weapon style.
Sareena
Dual Kamas
Because that's what she used in Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero, and I think she should keep using them.
Ashrah
Kris
Because it's her signature weapon...
Dairou
Dual Emeici
Because I think something close-ranged and bladed (like something he could hide in a sleeve) would be very befitting to an assassin for hire. And I think the fact that they're meant to be worn on one's finger is very interesting.
Kobra
Dual Kali Sticks
Because I think they fit him. I think he's someone who uses the weapons he bought through his McDojo - and I feel that they're more befitting to him than they were to Sonya.
Darrius
Dual Bladed Gauntlets
Because they're his signature weapons, of course.
Havik
Morning Star
His signature weapon...
Hotaru
Naginata
Signature weapon...it fits him...blah, blah, blah...
Kira
Dual Balisongs
Because they fit her stylistically, and are similar to Kano's Butterfly swords, but different enough...plus can't you see her doing all the balisong flourishes like Hit Girl from Kick-Ass?
Shujinko
Two-Sectioned-Staff
Because it's a Shaolin weapon, that looks like something an old man would use, that's very unique (despite Shujinko's moveset).
Onaga, the Dragon King
Dual Maces
Because they're regal, and I think Onaga could kick ass using them.
Taven
Wakizashi
Because it's a ƒü¢⁁¡א' awesome weapon that I think Taven would look bad-ass using!
Daegon
Dual Wakizashis
Taven had one, so Daegon should have two...

So...what do you guys and gals think?
GhostDragon
About Me

Ghostdragon - Fan Submission Director ghostdragon@mortalkombatonline.com
Mortal Kombat Online - The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
http://www.mortalkombatonline.com

"Tis true my form is something odd, But blaming me is blaming God. Could I create myself anew, I would not fail in pleasing you. If I could reach from pole to pole, Or grasp the ocean with a span, I would be measured by the soul, The mind's the standard of the man."
-Isaac Watts
07/03/2010 09:29 PM (UTC)
I really like what you gave Shinnok. I think that'd be the perfect weapon for him. Same for Onaga. Though, he could just use one large mace. But two would be cool, still.

I dunno about Jax. I kinda see Jax using a bowie knife or machete. Sonya using a tactical blade like a k-bar or a bayonet (as you mentioned) is a good choice.

A 3-sectioned staff for Fujin is interesting. It's not an easy weapon to learn off the bat and can be quite effective. To separate him from Raiden, who has a staff himself, a 9-ring broadsword would be an interesting fit. It's quite unique looking and intimidating. Instead of the bear motif on the edge of the pictured blade, a Chinese character for "Wind" or a dragon head could be used.

The sabre would work w/ Mavado. Or maybe a more classical blade. It might allow his movements to resemble Spanish Swordfighting and fencing.
Kinetic
About Me

07/05/2010 04:48 AM (UTC)
GhostDragon Wrote:
To separate him from Raiden, who has a staff himself, a 9-ring broadsword would be an interesting fit.

Does a 9-ring broadsword take a different technique or fighting style to wield than a traditional dao?
RazorsEdge701
07/05/2010 11:02 AM (UTC)
I dunno if we ever again need a game where every single character has a weapon, a lot of them end up feeling forced. If everybody is special, then no one is, y'know? Baraka's blades and Kabal's hookswords no longer stand out and seem unique. Plus I really could never see Liu Kang or Ermac for instance wanting or needing a sword or axe. I kinda buy Liu with the nunchucks 'cause he's Bruce Lee, but that's it.

Nothing really seems appropriate for Fujin to me, either. Raiden and his staff I buy because he's a god who walks the Earth like a man a lot, spending time with the people. I see him traveling with a big walking stick like the Gandalf of Mortal Kombat. Fujin, on the other hand, never struck me as all that fond of mortals or mortal things, I think he'd rely on his powers and godhood and never need a physical object to beat people with. Plus, lightning and a lightning rod, that makes sense. Wind is the element with no substance though. If you wanted to be silly, I guess he could club people with a windsock/butterfly net...but no. The Wind God fighting with a material thing just doesn't seem to fit the theme. And he's a flier, and swinging a weapon in flight seems awkward to me. Anyway, that's why I liked the crossbow so much in MK4, shooting energy at the opponent seemed more appropriate for him than swinging a melee weapon. Granted, it didn't function well in gameplay, the crossbow should just be a special move. But there you go.

That said, if we WERE to bring back weapons for everyone...

I like your pick of a pitchfork for Shinnok, Sareena sticking to the kamas, and Scorpion using his spear as a ropedart, and I love the pocket knives for Kira. And yes, Noob should always have a scythe.

I think Sub-Zero should stick to the Kori Blade or other designs sculpted from ice though, unless that's what you meant by "frozen". And I'll never be happy with a Dairou who isn't a dual katana weilding Ronin like his MKDA concept art.

I also think some of your picks are too generic. For instance, the sabre you picked for Mavado doesn't look very different at all from the chinese broadsword or the scimitar. I'd give him a straight, thin rapier. Wakizashis probably aren't the most creative way to go with Taven and Daegon either. I think perhaps just taking the "Drakeswords" and making them more memorable looking, coming up with something iconic that could be instantly identified on sight as "That's Taven and Daegon's weapons" is the way to go.

Quan Chi should have something that looks evil and magical, like that head on a staff they almost gave him in DA that would've spit locusts.

I'd also like to see Tanya go back to using the boomerang from MK4. She could swing it like a knife or throw and catch it as a special move, no different from Kitana's fans. If Scorpion's spear could be done as a weapon, so could that.

Bo' Rai Cho's cane should look more like a cane, too. I'd like to see it bend into a handle at the top, and maybe incorporate some moves where he uses it to hook around people's necks or ankles and yank them around/trip them.
Kinetic
About Me

07/05/2010 10:32 PM (UTC)
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
I dunno if we ever again need a game where every single character has a weapon, a lot of them end up feeling forced. If everybody is special, then no one is, y'know? Baraka's blades and Kabal's hookswords no longer stand out and seem unique.

Agreed. I just sort of did this for fun.

RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
I think Sub-Zero should stick to the Kori Blade or other designs sculpted from ice though, unless that's what you meant by "frozen".

That is what I meant.

RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
And I'll never be happy with a Dairou who isn't a dual katana weilding Ronin like his MKDA concept art.

I, on the other hand, will never be happy with anyone that wields multiple Katanas. That includes Tasia. A Katana was a two-handed weapon. Occasionally Samurai supplemented them with a wakizashi, but there is no fighting style that incorporated dual Katanas. It's not practical, and not really feasible. They're too large and heavy.

RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
also think some of your picks are too generic. For instance, the sabre you picked for Mavado doesn't look very different at all from the chinese broadsword or the scimitar. I'd give him a straight, thin rapier.

Yes, but they use different fighting styles. Although, I did consider giving him a rapier.

RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
Wakizashis probably aren't the most creative way to go with Taven and Daegon either. I think perhaps just taking the "Drakeswords" and making them more memorable looking, coming up with something iconic that could be instantly identified on sight as "That's Taven and Daegon's weapons" is the way to go.

Drakeswords aren't a real weapon. And I tried to stray away from using fake weapons except in special circumstances (like Baraka or Cyrax).

RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
Quan Chi should have something that looks evil and magical, like that head on a staff they almost gave him in DA that would've spit locusts.

Again, I tried to stray from fake weapons. But he would definitely wield something magical.

RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
I'd also like to see Tanya go back to using the boomerang from MK4. She could swing it like a knife or throw and catch it as a special move, no different from Kitana's fans. If Scorpion's spear could be done as a weapon, so could that.

That would definitely make sense.

RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
Bo' Rai Cho's cane should look more like a cane, too. I'd like to see it bend into a handle at the top, and maybe incorporate some moves where he uses it to hook around people's necks or ankles and yank them around/trip them.

I like that one too.
RazorsEdge701
07/06/2010 01:24 AM (UTC)
When dealing with fictional characters from magical worlds that are decidedly not the planet Earth, you HAVE to have some fictional weapons and styles in there.
Chrome
About Me

07/06/2010 10:57 AM (UTC)
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
When dealing with fictional characters from magical worlds that are decidedly not the planet Earth, you HAVE to have some fictional weapons and styles in there.

Weapons work the same way though. A long sword is a long sword in Outworld too in Mortal Kombat. The drakesword is still a longsword (if a real life model would be made, a fairly useless one might I add, but this IS fantasy)

Ninja-to is fictional. Not only were the samurai sword pairs extremely rare to obtain, ninjas were not nobility and assassination tools were more effective. Rarely did ninjas use blades for war or battles.

Wakizashi were daggers, knives as supplementary short blades for indoor combat (katana-type weapons were forbidden in homes). It is a close quarter weapon for a specific situation. Also, since Daegon and taven are admittedly based on greco-roman styles latin or roman weapons would be more fitting.

The scythe is not a weapon. The only written document detailing some fights with a scythe (which looked nothing like an actual war scythe) comes around in the German fiefdoms in around 16.th c. and even then it found no good reception among fencing experts, swordmasters.

The proper construction would be that the blade is straightened out like a spear, looking nothing like a sickle. It was the predominant weapon in Middle Europe throughout the middle ages in peasant uprisings and even went into use during the 1956 Hungarian anti-communist revolution. The classic scythe is unwieldy and fairly useless in combat use.

Also drop the Noob Saibot is a grim reaper analogy. It is fairly stupid and completely breaks the atmospheric mold. A chinese assassin looking like a westerner incanation of death.

So far, there are no dual jian techniques I saw. And whz should Liu Kang have a jian in the first place? Hero must have the sword? Atavism. Shang is much more fitting for a noble weapon thanks to his latest incarnations, plus, having his name be Temple Elder in the first place...

Not every weapon is "dual-vwieldable" - such like European medieval swords. It is futile and utterly redundant. Dual wielding was implemented to combat multiple foes at once in Japan for example or simultaneous attacks with preferably light weapons (China, shaolin).

So far it has been diluted in popular culture into something that suggests expertise which is plainly missing the point. Also, it is such a cliche that it should be avoided.
Kinetic
About Me

07/06/2010 04:52 PM (UTC)
Chrome Wrote:
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:

Weapons work the same way though. A long sword is a long sword in Outworld too in Mortal Kombat. The drakesword is still a longsword (if a real life model would be made, a fairly useless one might I add, but this IS fantasy)

Ninja-to is fictional. Not only were the samurai sword pairs extremely rare to obtain, ninjas were not nobility and assassination tools were more effective. Rarely did ninjas use blades for war or battles.

Wakizashi were daggers, knives as supplementary short blades for indoor combat (katana-type weapons were forbidden in homes). It is a close quarter weapon for a specific situation. Also, since Daegon and taven are admittedly based on greco-roman styles latin or roman weapons would be more fitting.

The scythe is not a weapon. The only written document detailing some fights with a scythe (which looked nothing like an actual war scythe) comes around in the German fiefdoms in around 16.th c. and even then it found no good reception among fencing experts, swordmasters.

The proper construction would be that the blade is straightened out like a spear, looking nothing like a sickle. It was the predominant weapon in Middle Europe throughout the middle ages in peasant uprisings and even went into use during the 1956 Hungarian anti-communist revolution. The classic scythe is unwieldy and fairly useless in combat use.

Also drop the Noob Saibot is a grim reaper analogy. It is fairly stupid and completely breaks the atmospheric mold. A chinese assassin looking like a westerner incanation of death.

So far, there are no dual jian techniques I saw. And whz should Liu Kang have a jian in the first place? Hero must have the sword? Atavism. Shang is much more fitting for a noble weapon thanks to his latest incarnations, plus, having his name be Temple Elder in the first place...

Not every weapon is "dual-vwieldable" - such like European medieval swords. It is futile and utterly redundant. Dual wielding was implemented to combat multiple foes at once in Japan for example or simultaneous attacks with preferably light weapons (China, shaolin).

So far it has been diluted in popular culture into something that suggests expertise which is plainly missing the point. Also, it is such a cliche that it should be avoided.

Well, you're very right about most of those things. (Although, I would like to stress that during the Black Plague there were reports of individuals dressed in black carrying scythes and spreading a "mist" stretching from Europe to China; that resemble the Western depiction of the Grim Reaper. However, yes, that aside, the Chinese personification of death is completely different from most Western versions.)

I should change Taven and Daegon to a more western weapon.

I'm aware that a scythe is not traditionally a weapon, however, one can almost not deny the fact that it is the most popular "weapon" that Noob Saibot has ever used. And, although, he bears no similarity to any Grim Reaper from and legend (unless you include the skull-face in his MK4 alternate costume, and the hood in his MK4 tertiary costume), I, and many other MK fans still like the imagery. However, maybe a more realistic weapon would work.

As for the jian:
I was under the impression that there were dual jian techniques. However, you're probably right. And Liu Kang having a sword because he's the hero was not a thought in my mind. I'm not that pedestrian. The reasoning came from the fact that I felt like the nunchaku was never an effective enough weapon (not to mention, it's Japanese in origin) to be used by the Mortal Kombat champion. And from the fact that I struggled to come up with something that was lightweight and easily transportable, and something befitting a Shaolin Monk. Quite frankly, the weapons most befitting of a Shaolin monk are staffs or monk's spades. And Raiden had first dibs on the staff, in my book, and I thought a monk's spade was too large and bulky to be used by the rather agile Liu Kang. However, if you believe a monk's spade can be used in more grandiose and gymnastics-like (for lack of a better word) martial arts techniques, I might revise that one.

I think that if you look at my list you'll find that most of those weapons are capable of dual wielding (I know that Sheeva's urumi is not, however I made an exception because of her four arms). However, you're right, some are not; and that's something that needs revising.

------------------

Part of the reason why I posted this was because I wanted feedback such as yours to improve my list. Thank you for your input. If you have any suggestions as to what weapons could be used in place of the ones I suggested, please, post them right here. I'll probably be updating my list during the week thanks to the new information you provided.
Chrome
About Me

07/07/2010 01:12 PM (UTC)
Oh thank you Polish people, or whoever updated the wiki. This is a sczthe usable for combat: http://www.google.sk/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/76/Polish_scythemen_1863.PNG/250px-Polish_scythemen_1863.PNG&imgrefurl;=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_scythe&usg;=__fZEtDS4IV9PIklCFzpDjS75IrSo=&h;=376&w;=250&sz;=86&hl;=sk&start;=4&um;=1&itbs;=1&tbnid;=EWIO75t_k1sWqM:&tbnh;=122&tbnw;=81&prev;=/images%3Fq%3Dwar%2Bscythe%2Bpeasant%2Buprising%26um%3D1%26hl%3Dsk%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:sk:official%26channel%3Ds%26tbs%3Disch:1

The people dressed in robes spreading the myst is misinterpreted. Those people were not plaguemasters, they were the -usually- really low class people (below usual peasantry, homeless citizens in towns) who have been paid by the church based on the speculations of papal court physician Guy de Chaulliac that the plague was a miasma (an evil odour, smoke or aotherwise physical air) that could be countered by smoke from burning, incense, or otherwise nice odors. This was otherwise somewhat accurate as the Bubonic Plague IS transmittable through sneezing and fluids / vapours in the air.

These poor people donned heavy clothing (the mask with the bird head if you probably saw that illustration) and carried the sick to be buried. Perhaps a scythe was carried by some, but it has no application to their function.

The jian is very flexible, unlike the notoriously rigid japanese swords. It is more akin to the modern rapiers and was primarily a stabbing weapon. The only supplement that comes into my mind is the parrying dagger for the rapier. Perhaps chinese had something similar too, but I have not seen such items.
RazorsEdge701
07/08/2010 10:24 AM (UTC)
The Netherealm is one Hell for many worlds and cultures and the appearance of the land and the demons and dead people residing there are shaped by the will of Shinnok, who deliberately emulates things from all over Earthrealm, so I see no reason to say Noob Saibot shouldn't look like a western Grim Reaper just because he was from China in his past life, a personality he no longer has or feels any attachment to, I remind you. I'm not sure he dresses himself anyway, since Quan Chi and Shinnok created his Noob identity.

His job is to dress all in black and kill people for the ruler of the afterlife. That technically does make him a Grim Reaper, although not in the strictest mythological "ferries souls to the other side" sense.

And again, I gotta be the "It's fiction!" guy and point out that Rule of Cool trumps whether or not you could actually fight with a scythe in real life.
Kinetic
About Me

07/08/2010 03:41 PM (UTC)
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
And again, I gotta be the "It's fiction!" guy and point out that Rule of Cool trumps whether or not you could actually fight with a scythe in real life.

Everything you just said in that post was ruined by pointing out the "Rule of Cool."

Saying that is like saying, "ignore any legitimate evidence there may be, because it's awesome."

As much as I agree with the sentiment that Noob Siabot should wield a scythe, saying that "because it's cool" feels cheap. And, in my opinion, coolness should never stand in the way of logic - I have a very low threshold for certain types of suspensions of disbelief.

Sorry for making a whole post about this, but the "Rule of Cool" is one of my biggest pet peeves of all time. (Seriously, I can never take Batman Begins seriously. It may be cool that Bruce Wayne is suddenly the most badass ninja at the academy, but it makes absolutely no sense that he's the "new guy" and, yet, also, somehow, capable of kicking the asses of all the other ninjas put together.)
RazorsEdge701
07/09/2010 12:38 AM (UTC)
Then may I suggest that you are perhaps not the best person to be making a list about how fictional characters with magical powers would fight?

I mean, if you and Chrome want to talk real world history and martial arts, be my guest, but I was under the impression that this thread was about Mortal Kombat, and the guys at NR Studios do not at all share your low suspension of disbelief threshold.

(P.S. In Begins, Bruce clearly had a great deal of martial arts experience before he joined the League of Shadows, as seen in the prison scene at the beginning of the movie, and his time spent training there was a montage of scenes that could have spanned anywhere from months to years, as he was away from Gotham for nearly a decade total. So that example has nothing to do with Rule of Cool at all.)
MyQueenSindel
07/10/2010 01:15 AM (UTC)
This chart is awesome and really easy to read. Just wanted to say that.
Chrome
About Me

07/10/2010 09:54 AM (UTC)
But Rule of Cool is as subjective as it can get. I see no corellations between Noob Saibot and the renaissance representation of the antropomorphic death incarnate aside for someone in Midway who decided to give a scythe randomly to a character. It was forced, the only thing they had in common is the color black.

Given the character had 0 personality whatsoever, but still...

I would like to point out that Shinnok is not the ruler of the afterlife (since then the afterlife would be reserved for only those of evil alignment), he is an imprisoned elder god stuck in the netherrealm.

RazorsEdge701
07/11/2010 12:57 AM (UTC)
Shinnok currently has absolute rule over the Netherealm, and has the power to release and restore to life anyone within that realm, or to transform the dead, such as Hanzo Hasashi and the Elder Sub-Zero, into creatures such as wraiths and spectres. He's not the absolute authority over death, no, because he has no influence over heaven and those who go there, but he's the closest thing you'll find to it in the Mortal Kombat mythos.

And Noob Saibot kills people for him. Which gives him at the very least superficial similarities to a Grim Reaper.

And "rule of cool" was probably not the best word choice, my point is merely that aesthetics are far, FAR more important in something so heavily entrenched in the sci-fi and fantasy genres as Mortal Kombat is than real world practicality would be.
Kinetic
About Me

07/11/2010 02:48 AM (UTC)
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
And "rule of cool" was probably not the best word choice, my point is merely that aesthetics are far, FAR more important in something so heavily entrenched in the sci-fi and fantasy genres as Mortal Kombat is than real world practicality would be.

That's a much better way of putting it. And I agree.

I just hate "rule of cool." Because I've known people who have used it as carte blanche to incorporate their artistic licenses to levels that defy logic. How about this for an example: in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation Sub-Zero is seen flying in one seen. Quite frankly, I think that looked stupid beyond words, however, I'm sure to the director (or at least someone out there) Sub-Zero flying is the "coolest thing ever." However, that, to me, is an example of the "rule of cool" taken too far.
RazorsEdge701
07/11/2010 12:05 PM (UTC)
Actually, I think he wasn't flying so much as riding an ice-slide upside down or sideways somehow.

Still looked dumb as hell, I'll grant you that.
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.