Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (21.3%)
Jade (42.6%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (26.2%)
Freddy Krueger (9.8%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • December 15th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Limited Console Free Trial [Read On]
  • December 7th, 2017
    Atom Battles Black Manta in Gameplay Trailer [Read On]
  • November 28th, 2017
    Captain Marvel Almost Returned in Injustice Fighter Pack 0 [Read On]
  • November 23rd, 2017
    Mortal Kombat X Mobile - Punk Cassie Challenge [Read On]
  • November 18th, 2017
    Mortal Kombat Funko Store Signing - Sunday [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat (2011)

Discussing Mortal Kombat (2011) and Komplete Edition (2012).
Page of 3

~Crow~Posted: 10/18/2010 11:03 PMStatus ::
NRS Releases Scorpion Vignette!

Netherrealm Studios has released a video bio featuring the iconic Scorpion as he appears in the upcoming Mortal Kombat. The ninja spectre's canon storyline seems to remain the same, though new information in the way of Quan Chi being the individual responsible for bringing the hellspawn back to the world of the living has been added. Scorpion's history with Sub-Zero is well known, and assuming things remain unchanged, he has been deceived by Quan Chi into believing a lie.

The video pieces together gameplay, renders and comic-themed artwork to make around a one minute, high-quality presentation. It begins by telling the story of Scorpion through his life, dead, resurrection and ends with him killing Sub-Zero. Be sure to check it out on our official Youtube page as well.

IcebabyPosted: 10/18/2010 11:05 PMStatus ::

Visits::11647
Nationality::United States
RE: Netherrealm Studios Release Scorpion Bio!

So... are we going to succumb to having more users confused in the way they wrote Scorpion's bio like they were to Sub-Zero's? Despite that it's not that hard to understand a bio... Waiting for that one user who's gonna get confused despite there's already a thread about the darn thing...

~Crow~Posted: 10/18/2010 11:06 PMStatus ::

Visits::39491
Nationality::Antarctica

We at MK Online apologize for how long it took to get this reported on. We will try to get here on the site for your convenience as well.

NS922Posted: 10/18/2010 11:30 PMStatus ::

Visits::10314

Nice vid. I think I've figured something out though...

The endings, from what I've heard, are supposed to be cinematic, yet cartoon-styled and comic-book-like. And this bio seems to fit that description, so this could be a preview of what we will see for the endings.

Of course, a lot of you have probably noticed this before me.

ShohayabusaPosted: 10/18/2010 11:39 PMStatus ::

Visits::4083

well this is mk 1-3, so really we all knew that the bio of scop. was because sub-zero killed his family and clan. This of course was revealed later in mk4, however like i said its only the events of 1-3, so yeah he just dosn't know yet.

--------------------------
Fare Thee Well
OrangatangKangPosted: 10/18/2010 11:42 PMStatus ::

Visits::519

Oh my God! Thats so fucking cool how Shao Kahn say Fatality! Like a real Mad Man.

WATAHHHHHHHHH!!!
ShaolinChuanPosted: 10/18/2010 11:48 PMStatus ::

Visits::14899

I've been wondering, why exactly did Quan Chi ressurect Scorpion?

~Crow~Posted: 10/18/2010 11:50 PMStatus ::

ShaolinChuan Wrote:
I've been wondering, why exactly did Quan Chi ressurect Scorpion?

Remember in MK4 when he revealed that he had used Scorpion simply to get rid of Sub-Zero? I think Quan Chi and Sub-Zero have some sort of rivalry, and he used Scorpion as a pawn to get rid of his rival for him.

SubMan799Posted: 10/18/2010 11:51 PMStatus ::

Visits::15190
Nationality::Vatican City

Very nice, I like how they added Quan Chi into the mix like that. btw, did anyone catch this gem of a quote?

"Scorpion was once human, like us"

-_-

~Crow~Posted: 10/18/2010 11:54 PMStatus ::

SubMan799 Wrote:
Very nice, I like how they added Quan Chi into the mix like that. btw, did anyone catch this gem of a quote?

"Scorpion was once human, like us"

-_-

Yeah, that was pretty lame. I still question the writing of some of this material that is coming out, it seems too silly and trite.

mkdfanPosted: 10/18/2010 11:56 PMStatus ::

Visits::8517
Nationality::England

Spectacular!

I'm loving the announcer's voice more everytime I hear it!

Demon_0Posted: 10/19/2010 12:14 AMStatus ::

Visits::4663
Nationality::Afghanistan

The more I see the video, the less sence it makes for the narrator to say Sub killed his clan and family. It is not Scorpion who is telling the story, but a narrator. It would make more sence if he told the true, full story;

"Scorpion had been deceived by Quan Chi into believing his family had been killed by Sub-Zero and thus, went on a rampage to find his family and clans killer. He entered the Mk tournament and killed Sub, believing it was him for killing his family and clan" etc. etc.

It makes no sence for the narrator to tell the story in this way, at least from my point of view.

Avatar is part of fanart created by Esau13
RazorsEdge701Posted: 10/19/2010 12:35 AMStatus ::

Visits::20795

We the audience are supposed to think what Scorpion thinks and pretend we've never played MK4 and don't know Quan Chi is the real killer, because in this timeline, MK4 has not happened yet.

That's why the narrator is blatantly lying and the explanation of "Scorpion doesn't know it was Quan Chi yet" applies to us too. They want something that was spoiled a decade ago to seem like a surprise.

It's like...if you have a friend who's somehow never seen Empire Strikes Back before and wants to watch it, would you tell him Vader is Luke's dad beforehand and ruin it?

MINIONPosted: 10/19/2010 12:42 AMStatus ::

Visits::11469

I love MK till death, but this all eyes on SCORPION, SCORPION, SCORPION, thing is really getting old... Give other characters a chance. Nice vid I guess...

Groundbreaking Debut | You[Tube] | deviantART | Twitter
RazorsEdge701Posted: 10/19/2010 12:48 AMStatus ::

Like I said in the other thread, the most logical thing to assume is they're going to do bios for everybody, or at the very least, a number of characters before the game's release date. We got Scorpion's first because they're going in an order and Scorpion happens to be both the first name on the website and the first box on the select screen.

I bet next Mortal Monday, we get Sub-Zero, and then Mileena, and then either Reptile or whoever the ? on the site is revealed to be.

~Crow~Posted: 10/19/2010 01:01 AMStatus ::

Well, I think that begs the question why Scorpion is the leftmost character on that site in the first place. I still stick by the fact Sub-Zero is actually the face of the franchise and the more popular/recognizable character, no matter what anyone wants to believe.

RazorsEdge701Posted: 10/19/2010 01:14 AMStatus ::

Well...Scorpion IS the one with a catchphrase. And no "replaced by his brother" confusion. And fire is a flashier visual than ice/steam. In fact, I think there's even something to the psychological impact of characters who wear warm colors as opposed to ones who wear cool colors.

From a pure marketing perspective, I can see why Scorp would be the face you put on a front cover.

I mean, doesn't it even feel more natural to say "Scorpion and Sub-Zero" than "Sub-Zero and Scorpion"? It just rolls off the tongue more smoothly the first way.

~Crow~Posted: 10/19/2010 01:17 AMStatus ::

Yeah, but according to the largest favorite character from MK1 poll conducted, Sub-Zero beats Scorpion by a mile.

RazorsEdge701Posted: 10/19/2010 01:19 AMStatus ::

Popularity and Marketability aren't quite the same thing. There's some overlap, sure, but there's other factors to consider too.

~Crow~Posted: 10/19/2010 01:23 AMStatus ::

The most popular character is usually the one PR markets. It's no big deal, people have been sick of Scorpion for ages and this flux of Scorpion related stuff is just a little annoying to a lot of people I'm sure. He's always been somewhat maligned on this site anyway.

I've uploaded the video to our Youtube channel and embedded the Gametrailers one for certain reasons. I'm not really the most tech savvy person and we need to have the age verification prompt, and that's the only way I know of accomplishing that right now.

RazorsEdge701Posted: 10/19/2010 01:30 AMStatus ::

Well I think it's like...if you ask someone who the public face of DC comics is, there'll be an argument between Superman and Batman. Objectively, Superman is probably a slightly bigger name, but only slightly because really, who in the world hasn't heard of both of them?

But ask people which one they like better? Batman will win in a landslide.

Scorpion/Sub-Zero's kinda like that.

Except if there were two Batmen. (Okay, so there actually IS two Batmen, three in fact, but the metaphor doesn't work there because Younger Subbie is the popular one and has had the role longer, while neither of the Younger Batmen, Dick Grayson and Terry McGinnis, could ever overtake Bruce 'cause he's got like 60 years of history over them.)

Scorpion1813Posted: 10/19/2010 02:21 AMStatus ::

Visits::180
Nationality::United Kingdom

Even though Scorpion is my all time favourite character of any media, I still think he is under-developed and his story is bland and somewhat boring. But he's still a great character to play as in game, and he just looks friggin awesome. Most of the hate I have seen is because people think he is single-minded (the whole revenge thing), when in fact, he has proven to be the most "human" out of all the characters in the franchise (showing mercy and fighting for the good side when it really matters).

On the other hand, I feel the same way about Sub Zero's special moves in the sense that they have more or less stayed the same throughout the franchise. While he has been given a better storyline and developed a lot more than Scorpion, he is still boring to play as (from my perspective).

- -

There are 2 ways of designing characters. One from a story perspective, where the characters background is created first and there appearance is based on that.
The other is that the character appearance is created first and a background is tacked on later.

The former usually produces the most popular characters because they can be related to better, although MK went with the latter so it's actually suprising that their characters are as popular as they are.

Going by this and the fact SZ has a more interesting storyline is can be seen that Sub Zero should be more appealing. But everywhere I go and all the polls I have see Scorpion and SZ are either equal or Scorp takes the upper hand slightly (again that's just from what I have seen).

- -

Sub Zero has been playable in more MK games than any other character, which would indicate him being more popular with the MK community.
Scorpion on the other hand has been seen in other media outside of MK, including several other games by Midway, a cartoon TV series (Drawn Together), as well as having numerous catch phrases associated with him ("Get over here!", "Come here!" "Toasty!"). This would indicate Scorpion to be bigger in general pop culture.

These are just some general thoughts and facts I wanted to through out there. Take from this what you will.

============GET==OVER==HERE============>>
MINIONPosted: 10/19/2010 02:29 AMStatus ::

Visits::11469

RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
Like I said in the other thread, the most logical thing to assume is they're going to do bios for everybody, or at the very least, a number of characters before the game's release date. We got Scorpion's first because they're going in an order and Scorpion happens to be both the first name on the website and the first box on the select screen.

I bet next Mortal Monday, we get Sub-Zero, and then Mileena, and then either Reptile or whoever the ? on the site is revealed to be.

It's not just this that bothers me bro. Even before MKvsDCU came out that EMBARGO LIFTS TOMORROW thing, the blurry pic for that was yet again Scorpion. Everytime a game is released he's the face of Media. I mean I don't hate the character, I hate the spotlight he gets above all else.

Groundbreaking Debut | You[Tube] | deviantART | Twitter
VomitPosted: 10/19/2010 03:07 AMStatus ::

Visits::2775
Nationality::Armenia

It's interesting that the announcer/story is leading us to believe that the events of MK4 had not happened yet, or never happened at all. NOW, what if... work with me here... what if that IS actually what happened. Because Raiden is going back in time and screwing up the time-line, what if he stopped Quan Chi from killing Scorpion, only to have Sub-Zero actually do it, and this time for real. We don't know very much about the story right now, so anything is possible, and this idea is something worth considering. For all we know, after Raiden messes with the time-line, MK4 (and all the events after that) would completely cease to exist.

Scorpion1813Posted: 10/19/2010 03:17 AMStatus ::

Visits::180
Nationality::United Kingdom

Raiden isn't going back in time, he's only warning his past self about Shao Kahn. Also, and this is a huge assumption here, that Raiden's message will reach himself during the first tournament possibly, or not long before it.

Scorpion and his clan were killed way before the tournament from MK1. So even though the timeline MAY get altered in some ways, I'm guessing there won't be any MAJOR changes.

Also, look at it this way: the original Sub Zero, while having powers of cryomancy, is hardly powerful enough to take on a full clan of ninja. I mean, the Lin Kuei and Shirai Ryu were rival clans for a long time and if it was easy enough that Sub Zero could take them out by himself, he would have done it long before he met Quan Chi.

Not to mention Quan Chi has the Brotherhood of Shadows under his command which is who I assume helped him destroy the yellow-clad clan. Again, Quan Chi wouldn't have been powerful enough by himself to take out a whole clan otherwise he would have just killed Scorpion and Sub zero by himself, and heck, even invaded Earthrealm by himself.

============GET==OVER==HERE============>>
Page of 3

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.