DeadmanWalking
About Me

"Pyscho Crusher!!!!!!!!!!" - M.Bison 1992-2010

04/30/2011 03:32 AM (UTC)
I don't know what they did with my girl Sheeva, but they ENHANCED her GREATLY!

Her aaHP, HP, JK, Ground Stomp is even killer in this game and I also believe she has a wall combo that ends mid-screen. She really does to be number 4 in top list however due to Kung lao's anti-zoning game. It really does trip her up a bit.
FlamingTP
05/01/2011 07:19 AM (UTC)
4/30/2011

-all information except tier and highest known combo information added for all characters

-other than tier and highest combos this list is essentially complete.

-list marked complete (alpha) not all highest possible combos have been discovered and will most likely not be found for months. Tier information falls under this category as well.

-most tier information removed

-Kung Lao God tier position added, lao can play well against anyone so I think this will work permanently until someone finds a broken character to own him with.

-Added Raiden to God Tier (hehe get it?) but seriously folks he can deliver the pain just like Lao can. Oh and a nice Raiden description too.

-Added Shang Tsung to God tier for the sole (soul) reason of the fact that he can morph into anyone. as such he's got everyone's moves.
ZeroSymbolic7188
05/01/2011 06:29 PM (UTC)
-Description: Nightwolf isn't the best character around and a lot of his good combos come out of slow special moves. as a result nightwolf isn't that easy of a character to play. When fighting nightwolf is a very fast character aside from some of his specials. but when it comes to covering ground Nightwolf has problems. teleporters and otherwise high-mobility characters will have a field day with him as a result.

------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvAKFuphlHs&feature;=related
TemperaryUserName
About Me
New sig on the way
05/01/2011 09:58 PM (UTC)
First of all, great thread. Love what you've done with statistics and descriptions. The only thing I would add is exact definitions of tier placements. I mainly say that because I don't think anyone specifically in this game is god-tier, so I think we have different understandings of what that means.

FlamingTP Wrote:

Reptile (Speed: fast, Power: medium, Difficulty: Hard)
-Tier:
-Character Traits: Area Denial, Confusion, Free Hit
-X-ray attack power: 33%
-X-ray type: Offensive
-Combo into/out of X-ray: yes/no
-Combo Damage Information: (average combo range 7-42%) (Highest Known Combo % includes x-ray: )
-Counter: Speed, Ranged

-Description: Reptile is a quick little bastard but his invisability move doesn't really help unless it is the completely blacked out inhanced version. a good all around character to work with but he isn't the best either. all-in-all nothing special.

I have to disagree with this assessment. Reptile is overflowing with safe pokes, good mix-up tools, and probably has the second best rushdown in the game. I believe he beats most people in projectile trades with the exceptions of Sindel and Kabal (need to do more research on that).

The thing about Reptile is that he can shut down the mobility of other characters. He has a projectile for every speed, so knocking out distant forward jumps is a forte of his. If his opponent decides to advance by dash-block cancels, they still have to worry about his shoulder charge, which may very well have the lowest frame-start up in the game... and it's insanely safe! Even if they block it, they have to decide if Reptile is going to throw or jump backwards in order to punish it. Not a fun situation.

And his x-ray... it's just ridiculous. You might as well retire your projectiles once Reptile has full meter. Now that projectiles are out of the way, Rep can advance with his rushdown. He hit confirms like a Street Fighter character; if he gets a jump-in punch, he can start with his 1,2,2 combo, and depending on whether the character is blocking or not, he can either end with relatively safe 1 attack, or if they didn't block, he can confirm into the force ball and do 29% damage or more combos. If the opponent is standing, he can cancel most of his combos into a low slide for mix-up. Reptile is just a fucking beast on offense. It's hard to say for sure, but I'm strongly convinced he's top 5.
FlamingTP
05/01/2011 10:20 PM (UTC)
TemperaryUserName Wrote:
First of all, great thread. Love what you've done with statistics and descriptions. The only thing I would add is exact definitions of tier placements. I mainly say that because I don't think anyone specifically in this game is god-tier, so I think we have different understandings of what that means.

I have to disagree with this assessment. Reptile is overflowing with safe pokes, good mix-up tools, and probably has the second best rushdown in the game. I believe he beats most people in projectile trades with the exceptions of Sindel and Kabal (need to do more research on that).

The thing about Reptile is that he can shut down the mobility of other characters. He has a projectile for every speed, so knocking out distant forward jumps is a forte of his. If his opponent decides to advance by dash-block cancels, they still have to worry about his shoulder charge, which may very well have the lowest frame-start up in the game... and it's insanely safe! Even if they block it, they have to decide if Reptile is going to throw or jump backwards in order to punish it. Not a fun situation.

And his x-ray... it's just ridiculous. You might as well retire your projectiles once Reptile has full meter. Now that projectiles are out of the way, Rep can advance with his rushdown. He hit confirms like a Street Fighter character; if he gets a jump-in punch, he can start with his 1,2,2 combo, and depending on whether the character is blocking or not, he can either end with relatively safe 1 attack, or if they didn't block, he can confirm into the force ball and do 29% damage or more combos. If the opponent is standing, he cancel is blocked combo into a low slide. Reptile is just a fucking beast on offense.

It's hard to say for sure, but I'm strongly convinced he's top 5.

Keep in mind pretty much all descriptions in here are based on personal experience. Since the PSN is down at the moment I haven't had much in the way of good evidence for reptile and I momentarily forgot about the force ball in it's entirety (no fucking clue why but I did derp a derp) when writing this description.

I like to think of the list as a community project still in alpha, feel free to go over everything you wish and leave any comments you feel relevant and the thread will be edited accordingly once I get some more action going, so I can make sure everything is accurate. I'm pretty sure most of the difficulty ratings are off too since I went through those rather quickly to get the bulk of the list done.

I will probably be removing the god tier altogether at some point and simply replace it with OP or broken later. I've been adding and removing things from the list as I go along and I find something that is needed or completely useless.
TheDarkPassenger
05/02/2011 12:43 AM (UTC)
TemperaryUserName Wrote:

FlamingTP Wrote:

Reptile (Speed: fast, Power: medium, Difficulty: Hard)
-Tier:
-Character Traits: Area Denial, Confusion, Free Hit
-X-ray attack power: 33%
-X-ray type: Offensive
-Combo into/out of X-ray: yes/no
-Combo Damage Information: (average combo range 7-42%) (Highest Known Combo % includes x-ray: )
-Counter: Speed, Ranged

-Description: Reptile is a quick little bastard but his invisability move doesn't really help unless it is the completely blacked out inhanced version. a good all around character to work with but he isn't the best either. all-in-all nothing special.

And his x-ray... it's just ridiculous. You might as well retire your projectiles once Reptile has full meter. Now that projectiles are out of the way, Rep can advance with his rushdown. He hit confirms like a Street Fighter character; if he gets a jump-in punch, he can start with his 1,2,2 combo, and depending on whether the character is blocking or not, he can either end with relatively safe 1 attack, or if they didn't block, he can confirm into the force ball and do 29% damage or more combos. If the opponent is standing, he can cancel most of his combos into a low slide for mix-up. Reptile is just a fucking beast on offense.

It's hard to say for sure, but I'm strongly convinced he's top 5.

I agree with a lot of what Temp is saying here. I'm not sure if he is top 5, but he is damn good. Also, I wouldn't describe Reptile as quick--his walking speed feels slower than most other characters, and you have to work to dash across the screen. I'm actually working on Reptile as we speak (that's why I decided to comment)--combo video to come soon grin
TemperaryUserName
About Me
New sig on the way
05/02/2011 12:59 AM (UTC)
FlamingTP Wrote:

Keep in mind pretty much all descriptions in here are based on personal experience. Since the PSN is down at the moment I haven't had much in the way of good evidence for reptile and I momentarily forgot about the force ball in it's entirety (no fucking clue why but I did derp a derp) when writing this description.

I like to think of the list as a community project still in alpha, feel free to go over everything you wish and leave any comments you feel relevant and the thread will be edited accordingly once I get some more action going, so I can make sure everything is accurate. I'm pretty sure most of the difficulty ratings are off too since I went through those rather quickly to get the bulk of the list done.

I will probably be removing the god tier altogether at some point and simply replace it with OP or broken later. I've been adding and removing things from the list as I go along and I find something that is needed or completely useless.

That's understandable. Things are going to get even crazier when matchups start coming into play more. The important thing is that you nailed the philosophy behind a lot of the characters play style, and at least for now, that's what people should be using for their character choice.

TheDarkPassenger Wrote:
I agree with a lot of what Temp is saying here. I'm not sure if he is top 5, but he is damn good. Also, I wouldn't describe Reptile as quick--his walking speed feels slower than most other characters, and you have to work to dash across the screen. I'm actually working on Reptile as we speak (that's why I decided to comment)--combo video to come soon grin

The element that gives Reptile his high-speed status is the shoulder charge. It's conventional function is as an attack, but you don't have to use it that way: you can also use it as a command dash. If the shoulder charge misses, it doesn't really have any recovery. With that you mind, you can space it so the charge stops in sweep distance of your opponent, and from there you can jump in with a cross-up attack.

I've even use some tournament players use it to OUTRUN their force ball.
m0s3pH
About Me

Mortal Kombat Online - Community Manager

| Twitch | YouTube | Lawful Chaos |

Signature and avatar by ThePredator151

05/02/2011 07:44 AM (UTC)
Raiden is overpowered online, not that it matters when constructing this tier list.
ZeroSymbolic7188
05/02/2011 05:14 PM (UTC)
m0s3pH Wrote:
Raiden is overpowered online, not that it matters when constructing this tier list.

WOuld it be fair game to design seperate tier lists for online play?
FlamingTP
05/02/2011 08:22 PM (UTC)
the plan is to construct the list here based on online play. isn't tournament and online play always used to assign that?
StatueofLiberty
05/02/2011 11:09 PM (UTC)
ZeroSymbolic7188 Wrote:

Depends if online is ass.
ZeroSymbolic7188
05/03/2011 04:30 AM (UTC)
StatueofLiberty Wrote:
ZeroSymbolic7188 Wrote:

I heard a lot of people say they had a really bad time with it.

However before PSN went down I had logged over 200 matches without a problem except that king of the hill lagged. 1 on 1 mode was perfect, truly perfect.

In addition to my own experience I also remember reading an update from NRS saying that they were working on some netcode and revamping the online mode.
m0s3pH
About Me

05/03/2011 05:35 PM (UTC)
ZeroSymbolic7188 Wrote:
StatueofLiberty Wrote:
ZeroSymbolic7188 Wrote:

I heard a lot of people say they had a really bad time with it.

However before PSN went down I had logged over 200 matches without a problem except that king of the hill lagged. 1 on 1 mode was perfect, truly perfect.

In addition to my own experience I also remember reading an update from NRS saying that they were working on some netcode and revamping the online mode.

The online is pretty ass, actually. Also, you always, always, ALWAYS construct tier lists based on offline play. Legitimate tournament gameplay is done offline, at a set location.

I think it would be best to do a separate online tier list once we are done with the offline list. It's a lot easier to simply move characters up or down based on what is and isn't safe online once we have an idea of who goes where offline.

Also, forget what I said about Raiden being overpowered online. He's absolutely broken online.
packetman
05/05/2011 02:29 AM (UTC)
Didnt you have cyrax under god tier? What happened
m0s3pH
About Me

05/05/2011 03:04 AM (UTC)
I certainly didn't and I still don't.
packetman
05/05/2011 03:45 AM (UTC)
Oh must have mistaken it
packetman
05/05/2011 06:40 AM (UTC)
What about noob saibot?
m0s3pH
About Me

05/05/2011 04:34 PM (UTC)
He's also not up there if I were to make a list right now, no.
m0s3pH
About Me

05/05/2011 05:43 PM (UTC)
Liu Kang overview at this link.
FlamingTP
05/05/2011 11:52 PM (UTC)
Alright well I dont have anyone to pay with extensively offline, so I will either have to remove tier information from this list or someone with locals to play with will have to do it for me.

any takers?
m0s3pH
About Me

05/06/2011 07:35 AM (UTC)
We really should be paying attention to the tournament scene better in order to get a more concrete idea of what the tier list should be.
ZeroSymbolic7188
05/06/2011 03:24 PM (UTC)
FlamingTP Wrote:
Alright well I dont have anyone to pay with extensively offline, so I will either have to remove tier information from this list or someone with locals to play with will have to do it for me.

any takers?

If your in Nebraska PM me. Im down.
FlamingTP
05/07/2011 05:41 AM (UTC)
I'm in Colorado Springs,

I doubt we actually have tournaments here, at least none that are advertized. do major tournaments record all or some of their matches?
ZeroSymbolic7188
05/08/2011 04:58 AM (UTC)
I got nothing out here bro.
m0s3pH
About Me

05/08/2011 05:08 AM (UTC)
I propose the following for this thread:

I believe we should discuss each character for a few days to try to get some semblance of where they should be in the tier list, because we're getting nowhere on that front. I'll spearhead this if it pleases the rest of you guys. What do you think?
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.