Prima Kollectors Edition Guide false advertising = class action lawsuit?
posted04/29/2011 03:42 PM (UTC)by
BADDBILL
Hey guys i can see on the Prima forums I'm not the only pissed off customer. The only responses from Prima are in regard to missing or incorrect move lists. not one response in regard to the missing sections that we paid for in the Kollector's Edition. I have gone ahead and filed a complaint with the better business bureau and forwarded them my e-mail to Prima as well as an advertisment that explains the differences between the two editions of the guide. I think if Prima cannot be bothered to correct this gross oversight we should consider suing them as a group? i may sound a bit overzealous? but i am pissed, and i demand retribution! here is my e-mail to prima as well as my post on their forum.

I was one of the people foolish enough to purchase your Kollector’s Edition of the new Mortal Kombat strategy? Guide. I have read thoroughly through your online forums regarding the laundry list of errors with this guide, and I see you folks responding to the issue of move cards and moves lists but avoiding the MAIN QUESTION that everyone on the forum keeps asking? Where are the specialty sections that were supposed to differentiate the regular and the collectors editions of the guide? As per your own website and advertisements the differences besides DOUBLE the price, was to be a Fatality Theatre that features the history of the Mortal Kombat fatalities for all characters. Another section on the evolution of the warriors from then to now. And lastly a section on HIGH LEVEL TOURNAMENT play strategies that would not be in the regular edition. So.......................................................? Where are they? On top of these features missing, we have incorrect moves, no frame or damage data ( yes I saw your B.S. Disclaimer ). And this is worth $40 of my hard earned money and the death of how many trees?

So my two questions to you are: Where are the sections you advertised, and why did I pay double for a guide that is identical to the regular one.

And: what are you going to do about it?

Let me also state I am not interested in reprinted move cards, I bought this for the guide, not the cards. And may I suggest you folks have a look at Brady games guide for Marvel Vs Capcom? It is PERFECT! And exactly what I was expecting from Prima. Not to mention the Marvel guide is 1/3 cheaper than your guide , and is over 100 pages larger????

• Here is an advertisement for the difference between the two guides:
• Exclusive theme song from Teenage Riot Records
• Behind the Music - Exclusive interviews with the theme song artists
• Tournament calibre strategy for the serious tournament players
• Inside NetherRealm Studio feature
• Massive concept art section
• Character histories with Fatality gallery and warrior evolution
• Embossed Hardcover with special foil logo

See also: http://www.mortalkombatonline.com/content/forum/showmessage.cds?id=136636
Lipski
04/28/2011 07:10 PM (UTC)
That'd be a hell of a lawsuit.
Shesgotclaws
04/28/2011 11:39 PM (UTC)
They are sending out replacement cards to those who bought the guide, that's better than most companies would do.

And where the hell did it cost you $40? It was 25 in my local wal-mart. 5 more than the regular.
TomTaz
About Me

"Retirement my ass!"

04/28/2011 11:44 PM (UTC)
Still, it is false advertisment though. Those cards are not what most people payed the extra money for... it was for the content that they did not put in. Bottom line, people who paid for the KE guide did NOT get what they paid for. We were led to believe that the KE guide would have certain content that was later nowhere to be found. I think it's a pretty solid case for false advertisment.
BADASS6669
About Me

Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is forgiven, so Sex is in.

I kill people for a living. Get over it.

04/29/2011 03:24 AM (UTC)
Shesgotclaws Wrote:
They are sending out replacement cards to those who bought the guide, that's better than most companies would do.

And where the hell did it cost you $40? It was 25 in my local wal-mart. 5 more than the regular.

Kolectors Eddition was only $20 on amazon I can't wait to get my new Sheets. I
GodlyShinnok
04/29/2011 03:27 AM (UTC)
BADASS6669 Wrote:
Shesgotclaws Wrote:

Kolectors Eddition was only $20 on amazon I can't wait to get my new Sheets. I

You.
Ermax
04/29/2011 05:38 AM (UTC)
Hahahahah watch this! The end of it is fucking gold!!

" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ40YT4c5Iktongue
Uppercut Editions
About Me

Uppercut Editions - Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project Creator and Manager - Join Our Fight and Like the Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project on Facebook and Twitter -

04/29/2011 09:32 AM (UTC)
While this can be filed as a class action suit, I can see where you'd fall through -

You'd have to get everyone who bought the KE in one place, maybe sign a petition or something and get all their information.

I bought two copies, returned one today. Gamestop is issuing refunds for them without too much question, by the way.

Prima is doing what they can, and from what I understand there will NOT be a recall.

Also, the missing sections aren't Prima's fault - It's NRS. I can't go into too much detail about it, but Prima's only mistake was taking it out of the product listing before the launch.

Again, I know a little bit more about this because of contacts within Prima and I know they're trying to handle it. However, if you guys really want to get something done - Get a petition, or get a listing of everyone who bought the guide and wants these sections released.

swindle
04/29/2011 12:35 PM (UTC)
No, it is Prima's fault. Prima Games is an established company advertising their goods to the public for purchase. They are solely responsible for their product, and any claims as to the content of their product. The reason why the missing material isn't in the guide is irrelevent. The point is that Prima Games advertised that content to promote sales of their book right up until and past street date. That is false advertising on Prima's part.
The movelist errors are the least of the problems with the guide. Why is that the only problem that Prima is addressing? Are they somehow not aware that the Fatality Theater, Evolution of the Warriors, and Tournament-level Strategy Sections are not in their book?
Furthermore, NRS is a game development company. WB is their parent company, and is responsible for promoting what NRS develops.
NRS is in no way responsible for this, unless employees of Netherrealm Studios personally removed those sections after the books had shipped without Primas knowledge. Is that what happened, Ninja-Arts? Why can't you go into detail about it, but feel comfortable making a point of knowing people at Prima and having inside info. I call more bullshit.
Athenis
04/29/2011 12:49 PM (UTC)
Prima says WB/NRS didn't deliver what they had promised.

I can see how that would be annoying and while it sucks for them, it was entirely within their right not to send out that information for the reason of keeping some things as a secret.

Also the character progression thing is the main part of their own art book that came with the KE of the game so why they'd want to send that to Prima and have it published there as well wouldn't make sense.

All that said... Prima didn't change their advertising or attempt to notify anyone that the product they ordered was not as it had been promised. They misled their customers and provided an extremely low quality product to boot. If you're going to mess up and leave out a big chunk of promised content, you need to at least get done PERFECTLY what you are including. What did make it was so messed up and ass backwards with errors that all anyone could really say about the guide was "it kinda looks pretty".

Then to try and fix their flub up, they offered PDF's of the whole guide online with "correct information" that was still not correct, completely for free. That's a nice middle finger to the people that paid for it to begin with. Now they're offering to send out replacement cards, which most people that bought the guide couldn't care less about, and again, they're essentially offering it to anyone that asks for it, for free, and not requiring any proof of purchase.

I get what they're trying to do, but they're just making it worse for themselves.
BADDBILL
04/29/2011 02:35 PM (UTC)
hey thanks for the support my MK brothers and sisters! nice to see so many people not willing to let PRIMA give it to us up the you know what. i have now also forwarded my e mail to the head of marketing as well as the head of customer relaions to see if anything develops as i have heard NOTHING back as of yet.

and when it comes to my Mortal Kombat....... yes i'm a nerd lol
BADDBILL
04/29/2011 03:01 PM (UTC)
and you've got a point there Ninja_Arts! if i get no satisfaction from Prima, I may just start compiling a list of people as pissed off as me. and in regard to earlier comment: here in Toronto Canada we were charged $41.95 plus tax for the damn thing too boot! so almost $50! i guess i shoulda got it on Amazon like everyone else. and thanks for the heads up on Gamestop as that is where i bought it!
SubZero4Life87
04/29/2011 03:05 PM (UTC)
I pre-ordered the Kollector's Edition at Gamestop and paid $35.00 for it.
Led_Auditore
About Me

-courtesy from MINION-

04/29/2011 03:10 PM (UTC)
Wow, everywhere I go/read there is lawsuit for something :P

Will there be a lawsuit on MK net because Smoke almost looks like Raiden (from MGS) and says "Where there is Smoke, There is Fire!" :P
Uppercut Editions
About Me

Uppercut Editions - Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project Creator and Manager - Join Our Fight and Like the Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project on Facebook and Twitter -

04/29/2011 03:30 PM (UTC)
To address Swindle:

I know a couple folks because I was working with them to do some things for an MK site prior to release. We got things established and I still stayed in contact with them after this mess happened.

Also, The Character Evolution/History is NOT the same as what's in the artbook. That's just concept art and renders of the current character models - so, yeah. That one's still missing.

You can try to file a suit and probably spend years in small claims court only to get your money back. What I'm saying is - You guys need to understand that NRS was looking over these guides. During their production - copies were sent to Hec and Boon to review, and the content listing was something that NRS gave the go-ahead to Prima to put up. Then last minute...."Oh, we don't have those assets to give you." I don't know why - solely because it seems as simple as just sending past renders/artwork of characters to Prima with descriptions of changes.

Again - That last part is just my take.
JAX007
About Me

04/29/2011 03:41 PM (UTC)
Seriously the 'Massive concept art section' was such bullshit also.
Uppercut Editions
About Me

04/29/2011 03:42 PM (UTC)
It all comes down to what NRS gives to Prima to put in the guide.

And when NRS/Midway promise things.....We know what happens.
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.