Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
MK Online Site Updates
  • July 19th, 2018
    Review: Injustice vs. Masters of the Universe #1 [Read On]
  • July 18th, 2018
    Lost Kontent: Tobias Shares MKvDC Comic Art & MK4 Reptile [Read On]
  • July 17th, 2018
    John Tobias to Feature on Comic-Con Digitized Graphics Panel [Read On]
  • July 15th, 2018
    Ed Boon Avatar Change Sparks MK/DC Fan Speculation [Read On]
  • July 13th, 2018
    James Wan & Ed Boon Rebuff False Movie Reports [Read On]

MK Online User Poll

Round 3: FIGHT!
Kitana (55%)
Sindel (45%)

Forum Listings

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat (2011)

Discussing Mortal Kombat (2011) and Komplete Edition (2012).
Page of 3

quevePosted: 07/23/2011 09:50 AMStatus ::
Freddy Krueger MK Bio, New Gameplay Footage, and Interview with Ed Boon!

Following the announcement of Freddy Krueger this Thursday at Comic-Con, the Official Mortal Kombat Website has been updated with a new character section featuring his biography along side special quotes that make reference to this sinister character:

"A malevolent spirit of the Dream Realm, Freddy Krueger preys on the souls of the living as they sleep. When Shao Kahn began to steal Earthrealm's souls - souls Freddy considered his own - Freddy battled the emperor in the Dream Realm. But Shao Kahn's will was too strong. He pulled Freddy into the real world, where he was mortal, and defeated him. A badly injured yet determined Freddy fitted both his hands with demonically enhanced razor gloves. Once he has killed Shao Kahn he will find a way back to the Dream Realm, where he will torment Earthrealm's souls for eternity."

Freddy Krueger Official Site Background

Shortly after Freddy's reveal, gaming website PlayStation.Blog secured an interview with the co-creator of Mortal Kombat, Ed Boon, in which he discusses his reasons for choosing "The Prince of Fear" as a DLC character, Freddy's powers in the fighting arena, Rain's true origins, Kenshi, and much more. From the interview:

PSB: So what is the inspiration for bringing Freddy Krueger to Mortal Kombat as a DLC character?

EB: It was a number of things. It’s kind of hard to choose a character who would fit well into the Mortal Kombat universe, with the blood and violence that’s so associated with it. Kratos from God of War is a brutal, bloody character, so he makes sense. When we had the discussions about the DLC characters, we knew that we wanted to add a returning character, a new character, but also a guest character. That was one of the goals right from the beginning. A number of names were run by us: Jason, Michael Meyers and all those guys. Freddy Kreuger, we felt, was the most instantly recognizable and he fits in with Mortal Kombat with his claws. It just seemed like the best fit."

To read the full interview head over to PlayStation.Blog.

Update #1: A new video featuring Freddy with extended gameplay footage has been revealed:

Thanks to our forum member KITANA for the heads-up!

Freddy will be released Tuesday August 9th on Xbox Live and Playstation Network for 400 Microsoft Points and $4.99 respectively. He is also the final quarter of the Season Pass which is available now!

Keep up to date with all things Freddy Krueger and Mortal Kombat related by following us over on Twitter at @MK_Online or by liking us over on our Facebook Page.

Think you've got a news story? Send your submissions to our MKO Newslead.

~Crow~Posted: 07/23/2011 10:16 AMStatus ::

Visits::39491
Nationality::Antarctica
RE: Freddy Krueger MK Biography and new Interview with Ed Boon!

Though he's not released until the 9th, we will be giving away a season pass for XBL Tuesday on our Twitter. We hope to have some codes for him for our PSN users closer to the actual date of his release.

lettmanPosted: 07/23/2011 10:51 AMStatus ::

Visits::643
Nationality::United Kingdom

incoming hate in
three
two
one!

GarladorPosted: 07/23/2011 10:55 AMStatus ::

Visits::11510
Nationality::United States

~Crow~ Wrote:
Though he's not released until the 9th, we will be giving away a season pass for XBL Tuesday on our Twitter. We hope to have some codes for him for our PSN users closer to the actual date of his release.

Hmmm... seems like it was smart of me to wait on out on buying that Season Pass...

LynxFATEPosted: 07/23/2011 11:05 AMStatus ::

Visits::1666

I like Freddy and I think he is going to be fun as hell to play as. As far as guest characters go, there aren't many that would be a better fit. I believe it was the "history of MK" video for Deception (Though I may be wrong) where John Vogel says "Mortal Kombat is about magic and monsters and beating people up." I'd say Kratos and Freddy fit reasonably well.

blackchidoriPosted: 07/23/2011 11:10 AMStatus ::

Visits::163

I think the Bio is stupid but yes, im going to get him anyway.

Ion3008Posted: 07/23/2011 11:14 AMStatus ::

Visits::8799

Is there going to be more stuff showcasing him or something than what was done with Rain Kenshi and Skarlet?

Because It's released in 3 weeks..And they already have his bio and his reveal trailer..Only thing left is the MKast, Animated Bio and Klassic Kostumes trailers.

Unless they release a video once a week or something

seanayPosted: 07/23/2011 11:55 AMStatus ::

Visits::9285

I guess this is the reason they did the seasson pass because they knew mk fan would not get him!

I was hoping for a mk character meh

But I am interested to see how many people do buy him, compared to how many people bought the other 3 dlcs

smokeman14Posted: 07/23/2011 11:56 AMStatus ::

Visits::6406

For all the Freddy haters. Look at my icon....I love doing that.

lettmanPosted: 07/23/2011 12:04 PMStatus ::

Visits::643

smokeman14 Wrote:

godlike
please let me use that!

AJBluePosted: 07/23/2011 12:07 PMStatus ::

Visits::5536

he fits in with Mortal Kombat with his claws. It just seemed like the best fit."

He had claws, so he's an instant fit for MK!? If that's the only requirement for a guest character why not add Edward Scissorhands or heck, go all out and get Teen Wolf.

I'm never going to favor the addition of Krueger, but I'd have more respect for Boon if he came right out, told the truth, and admitted it was for financial reasons.

smokeman14Posted: 07/23/2011 12:08 PMStatus ::

lettman Wrote:
smokeman14 Wrote:

godlike

please let me use that!

Try looking for a gif from Freddy's Dead with a map that says "You're Fucked"

couse that's the one I was looking for in the first place.

maximus12Posted: 07/23/2011 12:10 PMStatus ::

Visits::3635

Bio is still kinda sketchy to me. It's growing on me slowly but it's whatever.

Still not sure if I'm gonna buy him though. Maybe on Halloween.

x1NF3RN0xPosted: 07/23/2011 12:11 PMStatus ::

Visits::1057

Why all the hate for our man Freddy? Honestly his bio was okay since he's a guest and he is not part of the canon at all. I mean what did you guys honestly expect? IMO it could have been a little better if he was teaming up with Quan Chi and maybe betrayed him at the end but they did just fine with Freddy's bio and may I say the bios in game are a lot more detailing than the website.

Frank West in Mortal Kombat? I wish! :)
quevePosted: 07/23/2011 12:12 PMStatus ::

Visits::4110
Nationality::Bolivia

I'd love a haunted Elm Street as his stage.

~Crow~ Wrote:

Awesome.

Ion3008 Wrote:
Is there going to be more stuff showcasing him or something than what was done with Rain Kenshi and Skarlet?

Because It's released in 3 weeks..And they already have his bio and his reveal trailer..Only thing left is the MKast, Animated Bio and Klassic Kostumes trailers.

Unless they release a video once a week or something

"Only things left"?...that's actually quite a lot when compared to the likes of the majority of the cast who got nothing. Some not even an official HQ render release.

Anyway, yeah, I think he's going to get more videos soon.

AJBlue Wrote:
he fits in with Mortal Kombat with his claws. It just seemed like the best fit."

He had claws, so he's an instant fit for MK!? If that's the only requirement for a guest character why not add Edward Scissorhands or heck, go all out and get Teen Wolf.

I'm never going to favor the addition of Krueger, but I'd have more respect for Boon if he came right out, told the truth, and admitted it was for financial reasons.

I think Ed was being a fanboy when he said that, in the good way. I'm sure he is excited and he is living this game like the rest of the happy fans.

Anyway, I don't think you can expect anyone to bluntly say that they did X thing for their X for money. That's not smart. Besides, I believe its clear that DLC is all about the money.

tothearkPosted: 07/23/2011 12:14 PMStatus ::

Visits::3196

Freddy Kreuger, we felt, was the most instantly recognizable and he fits in with Mortal Kombat with his claws. It just seemed like the best fit.

Agree with the first statement.

I don't really now much about Meyers or Jason except that their some sort of killers. (?)

That second part however, seemed like they needed some bullshit reason to justify his presence in MK...

Mobster_For_SATANPosted: 07/23/2011 12:18 PMStatus ::

Visits::5189

AJBlue Wrote:

Financial? FINANCIAL? They aren't with fucking Midway anymore! They're with WB and probably sold more copies of this game than MKDA and MKD combined.

smokeman14Posted: 07/23/2011 12:26 PMStatus ::

I hope Freddy doesn't get any kind of "Special Treatment" as Kratos did.

Because Freddy has died before and in more rediculous ways.

Hell in "Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare" he died pretty much the same way he would if Stryker did his "Have A Blast" Fatality on him. Only it's a grenade and not a stick of dynomite.

ShaolinChuanPosted: 07/23/2011 12:33 PMStatus ::

Visits::14903

Freddy is fucking awesome. I for one am super excited. Personally, he was my favorite horror villain from the 80's. Bring on Aug. 9th!

AsmodeusShadowmancerPosted: 07/23/2011 12:52 PMStatus ::

Visits::9

Not the most interesting bio and an odd reasoning for him to be in the game. I am still not convinced he is worth buying.

TheNinjasRock071394Posted: 07/23/2011 01:23 PMStatus ::

Visits::8685

TheNinjasRock071394 Wrote:
I don't picture an emperor trying to invade a realm in an attempt to take it over, having much time to sleep.

All I can say after reading this horrible bio is.... I now picture Shao Kahn wearing a onesie while sleeping and during his battle with Sir Fred.

Something along the lines of this

From the other thread.

AJBluePosted: 07/23/2011 02:08 PMStatus ::

Visits::5536

Mobster_For_SATAN Wrote:
AJBlue Wrote:

Financial? FINANCIAL? They aren't with fucking Midway anymore! They're with WB and probably sold more copies of this game than MKDA and MKD combined.

YES FINANCIAL! YES FINANCIAL!

The goal of DLC is more money. Everyone knows that. You turn a game that originally sells for $60 into a game that sells for $75-80 or more. With guest characters you pick an easily recognizable one to capture the most attention and hopefully the most profit.

I'd rather of had a MK character and would have paid for that. I won't pay for Krueger, but I'm not the target audience of this particular DLC so it's of no major concern to MK and WB. People like me, who don't want/like Krueger are honestly probably in the minority and so MK can live with that.

Look, I know you're on your knees in front of Freddy Krueger, Ed Boon, and WB, but you're never going to convince me to like or buy Krueger. That's my choice, just as it's your choice to get him. Every thread you post in you come off as a giant ass to people who don't agree with you on this whole topic. Some people don't like the character, deal with it. You're going to be turning 14 soon, it's time to grow up.

KlTANAPosted: 07/23/2011 04:02 PMStatus ::

Visits::2848

queve Wrote:

Following the announcement of Freddy Krueger this Thursday at Comic-Con, the Official Mortal Kombat Website has been updated with a new character section featuring his biography along side special quotes that make reference to this sinister character:

"A malevolent spirit of the Dream Realm, Freddy Krueger preys on the souls of the living as they sleep. When Shao Kahn began to steal Earthrealm's souls - souls Freddy considered his own - Freddy battled the emperor in the Dream Realm. But Shao Kahn's will was too strong. He pulled Freddy into the real world, where he was mortal, and defeated him. A badly injured yet determined Freddy fitted both his hands with demonically enhanced razor gloves. Once he has killed Shao Kahn he will find a way back to the Dream Realm, where he will torment Earthrealm's souls for eternity."

Freddy Krueger Official Site Backgroundyle="border: 1px solid white; width: 150px;">

Shortly after Freddy's reveal, gaming website PlayStation.Blog secured an interview with the co-creator of Mortal Kombat, Ed Boon, in which he discusses his reasons for choosing "The Prince of Fear" as a DLC character, Freddy's powers in the fighting arena, Rain's true origins, Kenshi, and much more. From the interview:

PSB: So what is the inspiration for bringing Freddy Krueger to Mortal Kombat as a DLC character?

EB: It was a number of things. It’s kind of hard to choose a character who would fit well into the Mortal Kombat universe, with the blood and violence that’s so associated with it. Kratos from God of War is a brutal, bloody character, so he makes sense. When we had the discussions about the DLC characters, we knew that we wanted to add a returning character, a new character, but also a guest character. That was one of the goals right from the beginning. A number of names were run by us: Jason, Michael Meyers and all those guys. Freddy Kreuger, we felt, was the most instantly recognizable and he fits in with Mortal Kombat with his claws. It just seemed like the best fit."

To read the full interview head over to PlayStation.Blog.

Freddy will be released Tuesday August 9th on Xbox Live and Playstation Network for 400 Microsoft Points and $4.99 respectively. He is also the final quarter of the Season Pass which is available now!

Keep up to date with all things Freddy Krueger and Mortal Kombat related by following us over on Twitter at @target="_blank">MK_Online or by liking us over on our href="http://www.facebook.com/MortalKombatOnline"
target="_blank">Facebook Page

Think you've got a news story? Send your submissions to our href="http://www.mortalkombatonline.com/content/News/newslead.cds"
target="_blank">MKO Newslead

You made MOD, I'm so happy. One of my favorite members. Congrats.

I had missed this article earlier, Thanks so much queve. Great job as always. And I think NRS did a great job on his Bio. Makes perfect sense, While also having an MK character referred to as superior ( That should please some non Freddy fans ).

I'm looking forward to his arrival, However... I do hope he's not the last.

Photobucket
Nemesis316Posted: 07/23/2011 04:03 PMStatus ::

Visits::5992

Lol @ Krueger's gloves, that was the most ham-fisted explanation i've seen in a while. Hopefully his ending is cool.

quevePosted: 07/23/2011 04:40 PMStatus ::

Visits::4110
Nationality::Bolivia
RE: Freddy Krueger MK Biography, New Gameplay Footage, and new Interview with Ed Boon!

Update #1:

A new video featuring Freddy with extended gameplay footage has been revealed:

Thanks to our forum member KITANA for the heads-up!

KlTANA Wrote:

You made MOD, I'm so happy. One of my favorite members. Congrats.

I had missed this article earlier, Thanks so much queve. Great job as always.

Thank you, sweetie!

That is very nice of you. I'm certainly working my best to do a good job here. Thanks a lot!

*hugs*

Page of 3

© 1998-2018 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.