Garladors KOTW- Week 1 - Sheeva Discussion
posted11/07/2011 09:00 PM (UTC)by
Garlador
Welcome! Welcome one and all to the first "Kharacter of the Week" discussion, as presented by your handsome, wonderful, and dubiously talented host, Garlador.

This is the first of what's going to be a weekly tirade of healthy character discussion and debate that allows me to get a lot of thoughts and feelings off my chest and out in the open, but not in a traditional rant sort of way. Hopefully, the mods will find this not just acceptable but encourageable.

And I figured I could start this weekly session off right by talking about a character I just exhausted myself talking about a few days ago...

Sheeva strategy (aka - I swear, if I do one more tele-stomp, my thumbs are gonna fall off)

...and whom I feel merits much greater discussion than she's been given: the four-armed Shokan lacking the Y-chromosome, Sheeva! So, let's get started, shall we?

WHO IS SHEEVA?
Sheeva is a four-armed, half-dragon warrior woman with a wicked mohawk.

(like this, but with four arms, horns, and zero Oscar-winning actress portrayals)

According to the games, she descends from a royal bloodline, making her, in some way, related to Prince Goro. In the games, she served as Queen Sindel's body guard...

(because, let's face it, that body needs guarding from groping fanboys)

...and held a particularly virile rivalry with Motaro.

(apparently she didn't appreciate his "hung like a horse" pick-up lines)

Her relevance pretty much vanished after MK3 (also her debut), making her one of those one-off characters that never got a chance to shine beyond that first game.

(Raz knows Sheeva's pain)

For appearances, she's always one of those love her/hate her characters. Some are quite unabashed about how they find Sheeva attractive...

(Beauty, thy name is a four-armed, three-fingered, two-toed, horn-headed, leopard-spotted half-dragon named Sheeva...)

... while others find her to be quite the opposite.

(though to be fair, Sonya Blade looked like a gorilla in the old games too)

Of course, only Sheeva has the self-confidence to rock the Borat mankini as her primary outfit.

(thankfully, Sheeva at least shaves her legs)

WHY IS SHEEVA IN THE SERIES?
Every Mortal Kombat roster begins with creating characters. How these characters are created follows the flowchart below:

Sheeva was created because Goro was popular. But, you see, Goro was awesome and overpowered, so they had to make Goro weaker so he didn't just win every fight. But how do you do that? Well, what's weaker than men?

Answer: WOMEN

Sheeva thus followed the highly mathematical formula that "something+boobs=awesome".

Thus, our first playable Shokan was born, with all the moves that Goro had, just none of his pants-soiling terror or health-bar depleting badassery, and added in with a healthy dose of sexuality mixed with monstrosity that left many people's genitals understandably confused.

Because the MK team is beyond clever in how they name things (Reptile is named Reptile because he's a green Reptile... Smoke is named Smoke because he's covered in Smoke and turns into Smoke...), Sheeva was named in tribute to the four-armed Hindu god of destruction, Shiva.

(I always knew the Shokan were really zen as f*ck....)

SHEEVA'S STORY-
As Story Mode so eloquently presented us, Sheeva is a thick-headed lackey that serves only to get beat up so the heroes can spout off spiffy one-liners.

(she's basically like one of these guys)

Story Mode, essentially, robs her of the two things she had going for her: one, she was the protector of Sindel, a close confident to the fallen queen that strove to ensure her safety to get on Kahn's good side so he'd show favor to her people. But, as Story Mode showed, she didn't really do that job.

(and Sindel kills everyone. So that bitch didn't need protecting. Everyone ELSE did.)

Secondly, Motaro gets hilariously killed by Raiden in the background, depriving Sheeva of her key rivalry and eventual betrayal.

("So I'm thinking we turn him into a rug and put him over there.")

She's last seen getting beat up by Kabal after she thinks Kabal is a robot (and amusingly enough, she doesn't even act like she wants to fight him, but, you know, she has four arms. DIE MONSTER!)

So that's her in Story Mode. On one hand, you can say she kinda got the shaft. Then again, she lived to see the end, so it could be worse.

(Sheeva:1, These Guys: 0)

But, moving on to her other appearances (including her DAMN ENDING), and we see Sheeva is actually quite a bit more complex. She's got morals, ambitions, fairness, justice, and more honor than practically anyone else in the game. She fights for her people, not for Kahn, and she does what's best for those she cares about and loves. In two out of three of her endings, she brings about peace and harmony (let's just ignore the Armageddon endings, which were terrible for everyone). She's a just ruler, a skilled leader, a brilliant tactician, and she holds no evil intent towards anyone she fights, really. Circumstances just put her on the losers bracket of ugly rejects that the heroes feel so smug about beating up.

(this guy isn't evil either but you want to kill him anyway)

So, what gives? Why isn't Sheeva shown in a better light outside of her non-canon endings where she routinely proves that, hey, she's not only a good person, she can rule all of Australia without complaints!

(her first act as leader of Australia was legalize "Mature" video games... so that probably had a hand in it)

Well, with Kahn gone, maybe Sheeva can finally do some good around the MK universe. Her biographies and endings always tend to paint her as a brave, selfless, honorable fighter that, ultimately, wishes to do the right thing by her people. With the new status quo in effect, I see no reason why she can't prove that she's as deep and versatile as her bedside kama sutra says she is.

(Johnny Cage wants to know how "deep" and "versatile" she is...)

SHEEVA'S FUTURE
At the end of the day, there's nothing really "wrong" with Sheeva. She's got a good backstory, good personality, good moves, good character connections, good potential, good fatalities, good voice acting, good moral quandaries...

... but she needs a better agent.

(step 1: drop this guy)

I'm pleased as punch that Sheeva was back in this game, kicking ass and taking names (in my hands at least), but while some come out of the game with hordes of new fans (like Stryker and Nightwolf), Sheeva's portrayal as the generic lackey ultimate hurt her.

(But if Liu Kang can crawl back from this, Sheeva can crawl back from anything)

Personally, I hope Sheeva makes the cut for MK10, this time on the side of the angels so we can get a few sessions in story mode playing as her to make people actually give a damn about this feisty four-armed femme fatale.

("I am Sheeva! Hear me roar!")

But that's what this discussion is partially for. I want to debate how people perceive Sheeva. Do you feel she's a waste of a space? Do you feel she's a solid addition to the roster? Do you feel she's a flawed concept with the potential to be polished into something amazing? Do you feel she's the best thing since sliced bread? (what was the best thing before sliced bread?) Or do you just want her to tele-stomp her way to the kitchen and let the big boys, Goro and Kintaro, play instead?

So, sound off! What's going on with Sheeva? Does she need more love? Would you give her another chance? Do you think she's already doing just fine for herself? Do you think she's the hottest thing since Mass Effect's chicken-legged Tali? Do you wish to douse her in gasoline and set her on fire? Do you just not care? Well, then speak out.

(anybody that loves "Ninja Mime" is alright in my book)

And if you have any suggestions on who my next weekly character breakdown should be over, feel free to drop me some requests and I'll see what I can do.

Okay, thanks everyone. Garlador out.
daryui
About Me
08/05/2011 02:15 AM (UTC)
Lol, but you insulted Motaro by calling him the name of that shitty Shokan.

I wish Sheeva had her MKA look in this game instead of a skimpier version of her MK3 look. I never like her MK3 look.

Her story was more interesting in the old games even when she was killed by Shao Kahn, but a jailer, seriously?

Rockchalk5477
08/05/2011 02:16 AM (UTC)
Very cool thread, but you said Kintaro gets killed in the background, rather than Motaro. Just thought you should know. smile

Sheeva's a pretty cool character, but story mode didn't do her any justice.
[Killswitch]
About Me

Shao Kahn did nothing wrong

08/05/2011 02:23 AM (UTC)
Sheeva rocks. End of story.

Gar...how the hell do you come up with these wacky threads? wink

They're great nonetheless.
Garlador
08/05/2011 02:27 AM (UTC)
daryui Wrote:
Lol, but you insulted Motaro by calling him the name of that shitty Shokan.

Rockchalk5477 Wrote:
Very cool thread, but you said Kintaro gets killed in the background, rather than Motaro. Just thought you should know. smile

It's okay! I have the magic "EDIT" technique! With my powers to alter internet time-space, I have retroactively gone back in time to remove this mistake, thus ensuring it never existed and your attempts to bring it to my attention are now invalid!

Bwa ha ha! Fear me, lesser mortals!

... and thanks for the head's up.
bbfreak328
08/05/2011 02:30 AM (UTC)
I've never played against a live opponent with her, but the CPU seems to NEVER block her telestomp, even on hard difficulty.

Also, "Shiva" is a god, not a goddess.
daryui
About Me
08/05/2011 02:30 AM (UTC)
Aother thing I'll add is that Sheeva's voice is sexy.
Raindrops1198
08/05/2011 02:31 AM (UTC)
I LOVE Sheeva! She was always my favorite Shokan. I'm glad they put her in this game and I hope that she is in MK10.
P.S.Her Babality is the funniest besides Jade's.
Garlador
08/05/2011 02:34 AM (UTC)
bbfreak328 Wrote:
I've never played against a live opponent with her, but the CPU seems to NEVER block her telestomp, even on hard difficulty.

Also, "Shiva" is a god, not a goddess.

I blame Final Fantasy for that mix-up.
mkwhopper
08/05/2011 02:41 AM (UTC)
Garlador, I love your threads! They're so wacky and funnygrin

Now onto Sheeva. She has always rubbed me the wrong way since MK3.
Her best look was her MK:A outfit. She's just terrible in Story Mode. All she is a fucking Jailer and a few minor appearances. To be honest, she is strong, but terribly slow and heavy. At least her power makes up for it. Flame all you want
GenyaArikado
08/05/2011 03:02 AM (UTC)
IF YOU ARE A STRONG FEMALE YOU DONT NEED PERMISION *rips opponent arms off*

Now like you said it all the bad guys where just punch bags in this game (except when they go cheap in cutscenes and kill one hit kill characters) abd Sheeva did kinda get affected by that (seeing her killing Motaro would have been epic). One thing that I must mention is that she was Sindel bodyguard in this continuity too, just before she killed herself and not after. Anyway she is amazing and has a better name than Reptile, Smoke and Sub Zero EDIT: Oh I forgot. Amazing OP, you should keep doing those
Espio872
08/05/2011 03:04 AM (UTC)
Good show Garlador. These are always the best reads, I'd love to see one of these weekly, very entertaining reads for sure.

My thoughts on Sheeva

I have been a fan of Sheeva since I was 7, she's one of my favorite characters.

She showed the intelligent, moral, and elegant side of the shokan, from her graceful bow victory pose to her suspicion of Shao Kahn's motives, she showed that the Shokan are not just blind followers of Shao Kahn who are too stupid to challenge him.

Honor and protection of her people is what she fights for, she's not evil nor is she necessarily good, she's simply living and trying to make the most of her existence, it's a relatable quality in a character, which really pulled me in on her story.

Her rivalry with Motaro was glorious, I loved that they gave a female character such a powerful and domineering rival, a centaur, leader of Shao Kahn's extermination squads and she defeats him in kombat.

I love that Sheeva is a different type of female character, she's big, powerful and is a grappler, she even gave Liu Kang a run for his money in story mode.

Her role in story mode for this game was disappointing, she was a punching bag the whole time, leaving out her rivalry with Motaro and her distrust of shao Kahn, many of her intriguing story parts(though to be fair they are referenced in her ending), the good news is that she lived and with

Spoilers: (Highlight to reveal)
Shao Kahn and Motaro dead, she seems safe for the next game.

I hope she returns, perhaps either aligning herself with Earth's warriors or throwing her support behind Queen Mileena, but I'd prefer her to take a(n) more heroic stance.

I like Sheeva's costumes (must be that nostalgia), but I'd prefer that since she's Shokan royalty, to give her something more covered with some very nice jewelry, piercings etc , maybe some trophies, I think they were on the right track by giving her those jewels and earrings this game, some Indian influences would be welcome.

But honestly, I just hope she shows up again and not be gone until the next, MK family reunion game. She has so much potential and a great personality, she's got a unique playstyle in this game and I could see her having a great role in MK10

Sorry for the rant.
VertigoPrince
08/05/2011 03:43 AM (UTC)
Wow you had a lot of time on your hands.

To be honest sheevas my favorite punching bag but I think that much can be done with her.
bbfreak328
08/05/2011 04:05 AM (UTC)
I don't have much to offer with Sheeva discussion, though I personally have no problem with her returning (especially if we don't get to play as Goro or Kintaro).

I'm really looking forward to these character discussions though; funny funny stuff :)

I think Smoke should be next.
CyberDemon13
08/05/2011 04:31 AM (UTC)
Nice post. smile.

I think Sheeva has a lot of story potential, and was decent in MK9, but was slightly overlooked (again). I really liked how they portrayed the Shokan, or at least Sheeva and Goro, as honorable warriors; Goro's line just before his fight with Liu Kang, "I will give you a warrior's death," was very cool and, in my opinion, spoke volumes about the nature of the Shokan. Gameplay-wise: she's not my cup o' tea lol.

Could you do a character breakdown (?) of Nightwolf next? I would be ecstatic; I love reading these in depth character portraits, and let's face it, Nightwolf is a total badass! grin
Jaded-Raven
08/05/2011 05:14 AM (UTC)

Sheeva looks weak and boring in this game. Her best design was her MK Armageddon one. I do not want Sheeva to represent a sexy woman, let the other female characters do that. I want her to represent the race she is from! Sheeva is a monster, a strong and powerful Shokan, proud and honourable! In MK Armageddon, she looked fierce and awesome! Her MK3 appearance was even more powerful a look than in this game. I am seriously disappointed with her looks in this game, and it is such a shame, because I have always liked her as a character. Her alternate outfit is rather nice though, I just don't like her skinny look in this game.

And just a note... The Hindu god Shiva is both male AND female. He/She represents both Destruction and Creation, the duality in all. So making a female character called Shiva, or Sheeva in this case, is not wrong.

Sheeva's gameplay is quite good in this game though. I'm not one for slow powerhouse characters, but Sheeva is fun to play as.

Her appearances in Story Mode was rather disappointing and her Arcade Ladder ending was quite ridiculous... She takes over Australia? Really? That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. The underground realm of Kuatan has only had very rare appearances in the series, so making Sheeva queen of the Shokan race would be the perfect moment to show us more of it... What an utter disappointment. However, I do agree with Garlador that Sheeva is shown as an honourable and strong leader in her endings, so hopefully we will see more of that in the future than her being a lackey who gets beat up at every opportunity.

Cool thread, as always, Garlador. ^^
mkwhopper
08/05/2011 05:19 AM (UTC)
@Jaded, I think her ending is a nod to the MK Banning in Australia
Jaded-Raven
08/05/2011 05:21 AM (UTC)
mkwhopper Wrote:

Yes, I get the nod. But I still find the ending bad...
Garlador
08/05/2011 05:26 AM (UTC)
Jaded-Raven Wrote:
mkwhopper Wrote:

Yes, I get the nod. But I still find the ending bad...

I personally found it to be the best ending in the game. It was hilarious, but they played it so straight-faced. It showed a good side of Sheeva while having a bit of fun.

Though I think they could have changed the name of "Australia" to "a strange, foreign land" and it would have the same impact on her character.

But, seriously, how cool would it be for Sheeva to be the queen of Australia?

(Hugh Jackman approves)
Harle
08/05/2011 05:43 AM (UTC)
I have an extremely high opinion of Sheeva. To me, she is the exceptional one. Like in music, many characters fall into the heavy radio play category, with Scorpion selling millions of records worldwide and winning best new artist for his figure-headed cash cow album while someone like Mileena slips through the cracks and tricks everyone into liking her with that one catchy single off her experimental album... But Sheeva's the great one that got ignored for not being commercially viable. If she were a pop star, she'd be Fiona Apple. Great idea starting out(playable Shokan, cupcakes), then got too different to keep in the spotlight(...female shokan in a red V with muscle-boobs... Aka fantastic).

I love her dearly, and have since I was kid playing MK3. I'll be sad if she never shows up again, but with so many more 'important' characters out of the way in the next game, I'm hoping it will bring all the guys abandoned by this game's story(Sheeva, Reptile, Baraka, Mileena, etc....) into the spotlight.
Tazer_Gunshot
08/05/2011 07:05 AM (UTC)
Sheeva for the next installment (MK10), please?!
Dreadnaughtx
08/05/2011 07:14 AM (UTC)
I can't say much about Sheeva (She is indeed awesome), but the only thing I have and want to say is that your post is one hell of a post.

You made it entertaining and awesome.

You sir, deserve a thumbs up

wink
WhereThereIsSmoke
About Me

If you use the term "spam" I have no time for your argument.

08/05/2011 08:30 AM (UTC)
This was awesome to read. Seriously.
I don't normally go for this story speculation sort of stuff but I will wait with baited breath for the next one. That flow chart was the highlight amoungst many highlights for me.

smile

May i suggest some Shang Tsung next? I would particularily enjoy the part where he get the "Benjamin Button - disease"
Ninja_Mime
08/05/2011 08:46 AM (UTC)
Jaded-Raven Wrote:

Sheeva looks weak and boring in this game. Her best design was her MK Armageddon one. I do not want Sheeva to represent a sexy woman, let the other female characters do that. I want her to represent the race she is from! Sheeva is a monster, a strong and powerful Shokan, proud and honourable! In MK Armageddon, she looked fierce and awesome! Her MK3 appearance was even more powerful a look than in this game. I am seriously disappointed with her looks in this game, and it is such a shame, because I have always liked her as a character.

Pretty much this. She was a wasted opportunity in this game in every possible way. I've always liked her best of all the Shokan, until this game - now I don't give a shit about any of them.
Keith
08/05/2011 10:11 AM (UTC)
I love Sheeva, she's one of my favourites and I really want her to return in MK10 as long as theyl finally do something with her. Something new and fresh and exciting. If she's just going to be a punching bag or a lackey then I'd rather they left her out.

A civil war in the Shokan monarchy would be interesting or if Sheeva can lead her entire race to the side of good. Either way I feel Sheeva belongs on the side of good. Evil doesn't suit a character with such a strong sense of honour.

Appearance wise, I really love Sheeva's alternate costume in this game. Unfortunately her primary leaves a lot to be desired and that's mostly down to her smaller frame, she doesn't fill it quite as well as she used to. I don't like Sheeva as some twisted sex symbol. Mileena carries that role perfectly, there's no need to inflict it on Sheeva who already had a very cool design. I prefer the more muscular, red-eyed, black lipped, scary-ass design she had in MK3. She's a half-human, half-dragon, 7 foot powerhouse who can flay a person alive with her bare hands - she should look it.
Pages: 3
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.