Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (28.2%)
Jade (43.5%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (23.0%)
Freddy Krueger (5.1%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • September 18th, 2017
    Raiden & Black Lightning Electrify in Injustice 2 Trailer [Read On]
  • September 14th, 2017
    Mortal Kombat Funko Pop! Vinyl Coming Soon [Read On]
  • September 1st, 2017
    No More Mortal Kombat Guests for Injustice 2 [Read On]
  • September 1st, 2017
    Kombat Kon 2017 Returns This Month [Read On]
  • August 31st, 2017
    Speculation: Will Fighter Pack 3 Deliver Third Kombatant? [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat (2011)

Discussing Mortal Kombat (2011) and Komplete Edition (2012).
Page of 3

quevePosted: 08/17/2011 02:16 PMStatus ::
Mortal Kombat 2011 Sells Close to 3 Million Copies!

Gamespot has posted an article reporting Mortal Kombat's (2011) huge financial success.

The gaming website states that Nether Realm Studio's latest installment has now sold "close to" 3 million copies all around the world. From their article:

"…the success of the game has already paid for WBIE's costs acquiring the Mortal Kombat series' bankrupt original publisher, Midway. WBIE picked up the bulk of Midway's operations and intellectual property in 2009 for a final cost of $49 million"

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment president, Martin Tremblay, spoke in an interview with MCV about Mortal Kombat's success. From the interview:

"We are pleased with the success of Mortal Kombat so far. With the launch of Mortal Kombat, we have already paid for the acquisition of the Midway assists, and we are just beginning to leverage this acquisition with much more to come"

Another positive note that is worth to remember: Mortal Kombat has also made the NPD Group's monthly US retail best sellers chart for four months running.

This is wonderful news for all the Mortal Kombat fans around the world. We would like to congratulate NetherRealm Studios and Warner Bros. for their well deserved success!

Special thanks to our forum member Kabal20 for the heads-up on this article!

Keep up to date with all things concerning Mortal Kombat by following us over on Twitter at @MK_Online or by liking us over on our Facebook Page.

Think you've got a news story? Send your submissions to our MKO Newslead.

KabalWinsPosted: 08/17/2011 02:17 PMStatus ::

Visits::2789
Nationality::United States
RE: Mortal Kombat sales almost 3 million units!

Pro!

Lets see what you're made of...
quevePosted: 08/17/2011 02:27 PMStatus ::

Visits::4110
Nationality::Bolivia

In the words of our very own Miss Blade:

Mission Accomplished!

mkwhopperPosted: 08/17/2011 02:30 PMStatus ::

Visits::4512

Megalomaniacal1984Posted: 08/17/2011 02:40 PMStatus ::

Visits::160

Congratulations NRS!!! Plus this is their 1 year anniversary at NRS!!

photo tumblr_m2h2uugQYj1qcb5fko1_400.gif
SasTheVirtuousPosted: 08/17/2011 02:42 PMStatus ::

Visits::33
Nationality::Poland

That's why I'm always happy to splash out on a new ORIGINAL game - it pays off to see my small contribution added to my beloved gamemakers get the credit they deserve!

Come forward if you dare! I will finish what the Lin Kuei could not! The Emperor... Yesss!
KabalWinsPosted: 08/17/2011 02:43 PMStatus ::

Visits::2789

mkwhopper Wrote:
Congratulations!

I knew that was taken from Super Smash Bros before I even clicked it! But this is very worthy of posting whenever something awesome happens.

Lets see what you're made of...
MKshizzPosted: 08/17/2011 02:50 PMStatus ::

Visits::8607

Thanks to MINION for the sig! My name is Ian, if you really care to know.
mkwhopperPosted: 08/17/2011 02:57 PMStatus ::

KabalWins Wrote:
mkwhopper Wrote:
Congratulations!

I knew that was taken from Super Smash Bros before I even clicked it! But this is very worthy of posting whenever something awesome happens.

Cuz Smash Bros is awesome
@MKShizz LOL

ZenOboePosted: 08/17/2011 03:27 PMStatus ::

Visits::1156
Nationality::Canada

Yay! A giant corporation made money! Yay yay!

LynxFATEPosted: 08/17/2011 03:35 PMStatus ::

Visits::1666

This is great news for the MK Team, it completely validates everything they did (go back back to a 2D fighting plane, reboot the story etc.).

Ninja_MimePosted: 08/17/2011 03:41 PMStatus ::

Visits::20830
Nationality::Sweden

LynxFATE Wrote:
This is great news for the MK Team, it completely validates everything they did (go back back to a 2D fighting plane, reboot the story etc.).

Story had little to do with the sales. People were interested because of the gameplay. If it had been a proper Armageddon sequel, it still would have sold 3 million.

ZenOboePosted: 08/17/2011 03:45 PMStatus ::

Visits::1156

Ninja_Mime Wrote:
If it had been a proper Armageddon sequel, it still would have sold 3 million.

That's easy to say. Not sure I buy it.

Then again, if the roster had all the old favourites, I think it'd sell even if there was no storyline at all.

Kabal20Posted: 08/17/2011 03:47 PMStatus ::

Visits::6204

I just find it pretty mind boggalin that the sales of just 1 game manage to pay for the aquisition of nearly an entire company's assets. I just hope WB will turn out other top quality games like MK with midway's portfolio of games. I'm personally hoping for a new Gauntlet game.

XBL: kabal31082, PSN: Kabal31082
Nintendo Id: kabal82, 3ds friend code: 2595-3252-2624

ShadalooPosted: 08/17/2011 04:21 PMStatus ::

Visits::7067

How do we say? Ah yes.

FLAWLESS VICTORY.

(Well, 'cept for the Story and Guests. )

MK Khronology: 58.49% complete...
KlTANAPosted: 08/17/2011 05:00 PMStatus ::

Visits::2848

To the people that actually think this is good news, For who? It's a sick joke, A slap in the face. WB / NRS makes close to a hundred million dollars and can't breach contract with Gamespy, Correct their netcode, Fix the fucking online latency.

Unless you have people to play locally, That game in my mind ( And thousands of others ) was the biggest let down of the year. And to hear what a great success it was in sales, Makes me quite nauseous. Betcha some new DLC will drop soon too.

Hope their new sports cars computer lags ( Inputs drop ) and leads em off a cliff.
Wonder how much they spent on keeping big name reviewers quite about the Online?

Most successful game of the year ( So far ), With the worst Online in any fighter to date. Bastards should be ashamed of themselves.

No need NRS to correct, Address the issue or even acknowledge it. You'll sell more games if you just spend the revenue on advertisements.

If Trapcom was even stupid enough ( They're not ) to ACCIDENTLY, Lol... Release a game that did not work correctly Online for 80% of the millions of people playing. This would be vocally addressed and corrected almost instantaneously. Trapcom cares about they're players, NRS cares about there sales.

Bottomline. Congrats NRS, And oh yeah... FUCK YOU!

Photobucket
Dragon Points:
Ninja_MimePosted: 08/17/2011 05:16 PMStatus ::

Visits::20830
Nationality::Sweden

Unnecessary. That has nothing to do with this topic, and you've already made it pretty clear you're unhappy with the online play in a million other threads.

And seriously? It's not even that bad. Not something to lose your mind over, as you're doing.

ZmokePosted: 08/17/2011 05:17 PMStatus ::

Visits::1072
Nationality::Finland

After seeing where Mortal Kombat almost went after Armageddon, this is some good news.

KlTANAPosted: 08/17/2011 05:28 PMStatus ::

Ninja_Mime Wrote:
Unnecessary. That has nothing to do with this topic, and you've already made it pretty clear you're unhappy with the online play in a million other threads.

And seriously? It's not even that bad. Not something to lose your mind over, as you're doing.

You are correct, For SOME people in CERTAIN areas. It works absolutely perfect.

For me and 80% of the people you guys run into online, Half second delay or repeated dropped inputs ( Like you never pressed the button, Lol )

Glad it works good for you Mime.

Photobucket
mkwhopperPosted: 08/17/2011 05:34 PMStatus ::

@KITANA Calm down Kemosabe

evilekimPosted: 08/17/2011 05:34 PMStatus ::

Visits::3001

This is really good news. I really hope they keep adding DLC because I want to keep playing. I really liked the story mode as well.

BTW, some people bitch way too much about minor glitches and what not. Not all of us play online and not all of us hate Freddy and whatever else. Makes me wonder why they bother bringing there negativity here.

GodlyShinnokPosted: 08/17/2011 05:37 PMStatus ::

Visits::4818
Nationality::Panama

KlTANA Wrote:
To the people that actually think this is good news, For who? It's a sick joke, A slap in the face. WB / NRS makes close to a hundred million dollars and can't breach contract with Gamespy, Correct their netcode, Fix the fucking online latency.

Unless you have people to play locally, That game in my mind ( And thousands of others ) was the biggest let down of the year. And to hear what a great success it was in sales, Makes me quite nauseous. Betcha some new DLC will drop soon too.

Hope their new sports cars computer lags ( Inputs drop ) and leads em off a cliff.

Wonder how much they spent on keeping big name reviewers quite about the Online?

Most successful game of the year ( So far ), With the worst Online in any fighter to date. Bastards should be ashamed of themselves.

No need NRS to correct, Address the issue or even acknowledge it. You'll sell more games if you just spend the revenue on advertisements.

If Trapcom was even stupid enough ( They're not ) to ACCIDENTLY, Lol... Release a game that did not work correctly Online for 80% of the millions of people playing. This would be vocally addressed and corrected almost instantaneously. Trapcom cares about they're players, NRS cares about there sales.

So, Crapcom does not care about their sales? They're releasing UMvC3 because they actually feel sorry they couldn't put spectator mode in MvC3? And they put 12 extra characters as a bonus for only 40 bucks because they care about you? Fuckin lol dude, keep dreaming.

MK9's online is pure shit, but to me that's the only bad thing about this game. Feel sorry for those who can't play locally with other people, I suggest them make some friends.

As for the news, props to NRS and WB. Just don't piss people off with your online next time.

KlTANAPosted: 08/17/2011 05:50 PMStatus ::

GodlyShinnok Wrote:
KlTANA Wrote:

So, Crapcom does not care about their sales? They're releasing UMvC3 because they actually feel sorry they couldn't put spectator mode in MvC3? And they put 12 extra characters as a bonus for only 40 bucks because they care about you? Fuckin lol dude, keep dreaming.

MK9's online is pure shit, but to me that's the only bad thing about this game. Feel sorry for those who can't play locally with other people, I suggest them make some friends.

As for the news, props to NRS and WB. Just don't piss people off with your online next time.

Yes Crapcom cares about their sales, Of course. Was just saying if something that was unacceptable from a consumers viewpoint was plaguing one of their BnB titles, That it damn sure would be corrected.

Anyway, If hundreds of thousands of people complaining hasn't accomplished anything. My rant won't for sure, So... Back on Topic.

Yay, A multibillion dollar company made another 100,000,000. I'm so excited.

Photobucket
ShaolinChuanPosted: 08/17/2011 06:03 PMStatus ::

Visits::14891

Based only on the online, I completely agree with Kitana here. I'm 100% certain I could've won half the matches I lost to just because of the lag. I'm even thinking of quitting online altogether but it's hard to resist when you really feel like going against another player and not just the AI.

In regards to the success of MK9, I congratulate you all at NRS and thank you for an MK game that made me put MK2 (my favorite game since 1994) to rest.

Very pleased with the overall game, cast of characters has all the greatest, beautiful backgrounds, amazingly detailed blood & fatalities, individual sounds / voices / screams, music remixes of the old are executed perfectly, story mode was awesome! And everything else I didn't mention. This is the best mortal kombat game ever made and all because of the transition to wb giving nrs enough support and time, and for nrs listening to us the fans.

Just fix the online please!

Espio872Posted: 08/17/2011 06:18 PMStatus ::

Visits::1075

Congrats to NRS on making the best MK to date, I'm keen on seeing future installments and feel confident that they have cemented their place amongst the serious fighting game crowd, keep the momentum going guys, and the great gameplay:)

KITANA has a point about the online though, I hope in the future they do online differently, whatever the issues are, but I think the wishing them harm was quite over the top and unneeded....but yeah.

I hope NRS takes this praise and the criticism and gets on top of this stuff for the inevitable sequel, I'm stoked

Page of 3

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.