Garladors KOTW - UPDATE: now just one thread
posted02/24/2012 02:56 AM (UTC)by
Garlador
NOTICE: I'm working with some nice folks in organizing this central thread into a hub for all future posts, with links that will go to past and future KOTW pages. It's not quite ready, but work's being done. STAY TUNED FOR FUTURE POSTS!

JAX is coming soon... maybe even today. He was finished, but I'm doing some last minute rewrites and images to accommodate the new layout and to make the topic more... relevant.

There's been a LOT of drama lately about my KOTW threads. I was ordered to stop doing them Edit: the way I have thus far, [This was an edit of my edit of Mick's edit of my original post... just for clarity's sake, barring further edits] but was granted "permission" to combine them all into one mega-super-unified-thread.

I was very, very, very, VERY critical of this... but far be it for me to knock it before I try it. I'm skeptical, highly skeptical, but I'm willing to let myself be surprised.

So, without further adieu, I'm combining all previous threads into one mega-thread and seeing if things descend into madness or not. I'm thinking of it like my own personally little social experiment.

If this works, I'll endeavor to keep doing it. If it doesn't... well, I won't give you guys anything but my best and you deserve better than compromises and pointless restrictions.

But enough dwelling on that. Let's see if this works.

Pardon my dust during this process. Transferring everything isn't easy and it's going to take a lot of clean-up to restore broken links, odd copy-paste issues that MKO seems to have, and to organize everything to a satisfactory manner.

Admin Edit: Please be encouraged to direct new replies to this thread.
Updates pending...
Leo
About Me

01/24/2012 01:40 AM (UTC)
The other threads aren't going to be closed, right? Maybe the first post can link to those threads as opposed to copy/pasting them into this one. Then, we could just copy/paste Sonya into this thread as the "first character" of the thread, since she got closed... Or, if you think Sonya's just about done, we move onto Kano, so we can start discussing HIM. Then, once everyone posts their thoughts on Kano and the thread reaches multiple pages, you can bring in the next character, and since he/she will be in another page, it won't take as much time to load...
Garlador
01/24/2012 01:57 AM (UTC)
It'll be a new page once we hit page 2, and that'll ease a lot of stress off the pages... initially.

I'm quite prone to posting lots of images, and that trend can and WILL continue, but hopefully people we comment enough that it'll put some space between each post so that doesn't become an issue.

My test is not so much the file sizes or the images, but to see whether we can actually talk about all these characters, in-depth, in the way the threads intended, all at once, in one singular thread.

Try to focus less on the technical limitations, which are at present a necessary evil, and see if we can't somehow find a focal point of conversation.
Ninja_Mime
01/24/2012 02:13 AM (UTC)
LeoBrZ81 Wrote:
The other threads aren't going to be closed, right? Maybe the first post can link to those threads as opposed to copy/pasting them into this one.

Yeah, I kind of thought that would be the idea, rather than overloading the page.

If you want to do it that way, Garlador, I could delete some posts here for you and you could put the links in the first post. If you want.
Mojo6
About Me

01/24/2012 02:16 AM (UTC)
This didn't actually load too bad for me but, might I suggest implementing what Ninja Mime suggested and providing a main page and then links to each character's section table of contents style? Is that even possible?
Garlador
01/24/2012 02:40 AM (UTC)
Mojo6 Wrote:
This didn't actually load too bad for me but, might I suggest implementing what Ninja Mime suggested and providing a main page and then links to each character's section table of contents style? Is that even possible?

I'll endeavor to perhaps do that, though I find it troubling that doing so would make the thread exclusively about MY posts and not about the characters or the community's discussions about them. Everything would have to revolve around me and that would limit the extent of posts or interest someone might have about a given character.

Ninja_Mime's idea makes more sense, though. Keep the given links open and try and streamline. I'm entirely unclear what Mick expected me to do, but Ninja_Mime's being quite helpful and I'll be in touch with him to see if he has any other good ideas we can do so we all can enjoy these as much as possible.
UNdiscovered
01/24/2012 02:45 AM (UTC)
as someone else said I really think you should make separate blog and you can have all the freedom you want there
you could create one thread here and update it with links to the blog

I think this is probably the best solution so your not restricted and we can fully enjoy the KOTW threads

MikeyRu
About Me

01/24/2012 03:01 AM (UTC)
Start your own forum Garlador. I'll go, and I know others will too. People can still come to MKO for news if they want, but given the new moderation here...MKO isn't a user-friendly zone anymore. Now even if the mods here decided to do the right thing, its too late. The damage is done, they were rude to you, and the rest of us...with no apology. They clearly don't understand that this isn't about Garlador. Its about bad moderating and being nasty to your active members, the people who give you traffic.

To suggest Garlador link to his previous topics is HYSTERICAL. Do you not see how hypocritical that is? That it defeats the entire point of this insane new rule? Dear god...

Garlador, if you do decide to make your own MK forum, I'd offer my help (I own a 600+ user forum now).
UNdiscovered
01/24/2012 03:15 AM (UTC)
Id join too
MikeyRu
About Me

01/24/2012 05:03 AM (UTC)
I'm sure all of his supporters would. All the rational people...
Espio872
01/24/2012 05:20 AM (UTC)
Hey Gar, just curious, I remember you were saying your next one was complete, looking forward to seeing what it is for sure.
Jaded-Raven
01/24/2012 05:30 AM (UTC)
Well, it is one of the few things I like about this forum. the majority of the threads on this site aren't in my interest at all and my activity on these forums are usually because of Garly's threads. So if he moves to another forum and continues these threads, then I would probably move too.

The staff of this site is laughable at best. The way they act, because they have some pretentious idea they wish to execute, I just can't take it seriously. No other site or forum I have had staff acting like that. When they had an idea, they presented it to the users before executing them, to inform them what will happen so they won't suddenly get thrown around without knowing why.

The site is in serious need of an update, no doubt about that, but the way the staff handles it has done more hurt than good. I have yet to see an actual forum member support them, only the other staff members (or former, in moseph's case) do so, but are never clear why. It is just outright disrespectful, so if they expect to get some respect in return, then they are far more delusional than I thought.

Sorry Garlador, I know you try and keep on with the restrictions put onto your shoulders, but it is simply not going to work. Why the staff ever thought it would be is beyond me.
Krayzie_Killin_Joker
About Me

Thanks to xB$INx for the Kick-Ass Sig.

01/24/2012 05:56 AM (UTC)
Holy shit the first page was just one big ass cluster fuck, it was hard to load with all the page shaking....

And yeah man, i would totally go to your forum if you made one.

This site doesn't really have anything else going for it, besides the general discussion of course.
Shadaloo
About Me
MK Khronology: 58.49% complete...
01/24/2012 06:42 AM (UTC)
Espio872 Wrote:
Hey Gar, just curious, I remember you were saying your next one was complete, looking forward to seeing what it is for sure.

I think he said he had Jax done and had planned quite the lengthy one for Raiden.

If there were a way we could get one character per page, at the top, and manage somehow to fill out the rest of each page, that would be gravy.
m0s3pH
About Me

Mortal Kombat Online - Community Manager

| Twitch | YouTube | Lawful Chaos |

Signature and avatar by ThePredator151

01/24/2012 06:54 AM (UTC)
I wasn't going to post, but then I saw this:

Jaded-Raven Wrote:
I have yet to see an actual forum member support them, only the other staff members (or former, in moseph's case) do so, but are never clear why. It is just outright disrespectful, so if they expect to get some respect in return, then they are far more delusional than I thought.

That's a dubious reach at best. I've already stated that if it were up to me I would have left the threads alone. I don't feel strongly about it one way or the other, I simply understand why what was done was done. If that qualifies as supporting them to you, then you simply have selective comprehension, and there's no sense trying to talk to you about it.

Quite frankly, you have a lot of nerve demanding respect from them (or anyone) when you have a history of being a smug, disrespectful person to anyone who disagrees with you.

The last thing this place needs is more negativity, so if that's all you or others have, kindly exit stage left. Have a nice day.
Murcielago
About Me

Get that ass BANNED

01/24/2012 08:00 AM (UTC)
m0s3pH Wrote:

Jaded-Raven Wrote:
I have yet to see an actual forum member support them, only the other staff members (or former, in moseph's case) do so, but are never clear why. It is just outright disrespectful, so if they expect to get some respect in return, then they are far more delusional than I thought.

That's a dubious reach at best. I've already stated that if it were up to me I would have left the threads alone. I don't feel strongly about it one way or the other, I simply understand why what was done was done. If that qualifies as supporting them to you, then you simply have selective comprehension, and there's no sense trying to talk to you about it.

Quite frankly, you have a lot of nerve demanding respect from them (or anyone) when you have a history of being a smug, disrespectful person to anyone who disagrees with you.

The last thing this place needs is more negativity, so if that's all you or others have, kindly exit stage left. Have a nice day.

DAMN.
Jaded-Raven
01/24/2012 08:12 AM (UTC)
m0s3pH Wrote:

Jaded-Raven Wrote:

It's easy to point the fingers away from the real problem here. This isn't about me or how I have been in the past. This is about how the staff has handled this situation which in my opinion is quite unprofessional. I apologize for putting your name into the equation where it did not belong, I misuderstood your post, but after having read it again, I can see what I got wrong.

And yes, I do have alot of nerve, because this whole situation shouldn't have happened to start with. Garlador hasn't done anything wrong, but that the staff suddenly decides to change the rules as they see fit without taking the users in regard (that's at least how I see it from where I stand) is completely unacceptable. They could at least make an official news post about them making some changes and telling us what they might be to prepare us for what is to come and THEN explain the situation to Garlador. Anything else just seem really unprofessional and unnecessary. I'm not the only one here who has pointed it out and we are still not put in regard. It's offensive to us all and the way Garlador has been treated is just not okay.

I haven't had anything against any of the staff members, this is only and ONLY about the current situation, so however anyone has been in the past has no relevance. I know I haven't been an angel on these forums, but that is completely beside the point and has absolutely nothing to do with this.
xB$INx
About Me

01/24/2012 08:19 AM (UTC)
It was alright to load up, but it is very cluttered and a bit hard to scroll through. If this is what you have to do to keep going, then do it I suppose. However, I think the idea of posting links to a main page somewhere is a good idea so that it is much cleaner. Just my opinion.
[Killswitch]
About Me

Shao Kahn did nothing wrong

01/24/2012 08:20 AM (UTC)
Jaded-Raven Wrote:
They could at least make an official news post about them making some changes and telling us what they might be to prepare us for what is to come and THEN explain the situation

But that would spoil the surprise silly!!

m0s3pH
About Me

01/24/2012 08:21 AM (UTC)
Jaded-Raven Wrote:
m0s3pH Wrote:

Jaded-Raven Wrote:

It's easy to point the fingers away from the real problem here. This isn't about me or how I have been in the past. This is about how the staff has handled this situation which in my opinion is quite unprofessional. I apologize for putting your name into the equation where it did not belong, I misuderstood your post, but after having read it again, I can see what I got wrong.

And yes, I do have alot of nerve, because this whole situation shouldn't have happened to start with. Garlador hasn't done anything wrong, but that the staff suddenly decides to change the rules as they see fit without taking the users in regard (that's at least how I see it from where I stand) is completely unacceptable. They could at least make an official news post about them making some changes and telling us what they might be to prepare us for what is to come and THEN explain the situation to Garlador. Anything else just seem really unprofessional and unnecessary. I'm not the only one here who has pointed it out and we are still not put in regard. It's offensive to us all and the way Garlador has been treated is just not okay.

I haven't had anything against any of the staff members, this is only and ONLY about the current situation, so however anyone has been in the past has no relevance. I know I haven't been an angel on these forums, but that is completely beside the point and has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Like I said, I'm not siding with either party on the matter. All I ask is that you understand that with the change in personnel at the top comes change in the way things are done. In my time away, I've still kept tabs on this place a bit, just to see where it's gone and where it's headed. I decided to pop back in because I felt things were being misunderstood a bit. I know that a lot of you have pointed out things you don't like, and that's totally fine. You're entitled to do that as users. I know it still sounds like I have my staff hat on, but I'm only speaking from the experience of being on both sides of the fence.

There isn't much else about your post that I can comment on, but the reason I made the statement I made is because I was surprised that you of all people would be so demanding of respect. You personally have not been wronged here, that's Garlador himself, and if anyone should be casting stones, it's him. This site has a PM system for a reason, and it's so that threads don't get derailed and conversations that are better left private are kept that way. Please, let's get this thing back to some semblance of a topical discussion before it gets closed too.
Jaded-Raven
01/24/2012 08:23 AM (UTC)
[Killswitch] Wrote:
Jaded-Raven Wrote:
They could at least make an official news post about them making some changes and telling us what they might be to prepare us for what is to come and THEN explain the situation

But that would spoil the surprise silly!!

If it was a good surprise, like a Pinkie Pie Party, then it would be alright. Alas, it is not.
m0s3pH Wrote:
Jaded-Raven Wrote:
m0s3pH Wrote:

Jaded-Raven Wrote:

Like I said, I'm not siding with either party on the matter. All I ask is that you understand that with the change in personnel at the top comes change in the way things are done. In my time away, I've still kept tabs on this place a bit, just to see where it's gone and where it's headed. I decided to pop back in because I felt things were being misunderstood a bit. I know that a lot of you have pointed out things you don't like, and that's totally fine. You're entitled to do that as users. I know it still sounds like I have my staff hat on, but I'm only speaking from the experience of being on both sides of the fence.

There isn't much else about your post that I can comment on, but the reason I made the statement I made is because I was surprised that you of all people would be so demanding of respect. You personally have not been wronged here, that's Garlador himself, and if anyone should be casting stones, it's him. This site has a PM system for a reason, and it's so that threads don't get derailed and conversations that are better left private are kept that way. Please, let's get this thing back to some semblance of a topical discussion before it gets closed too.

Of course, I apologize for steering the thread away from it's main topic, and again, I'm sorry for mentioning you as part of something you weren't. I just fear what else the staff of this site have up their sleeves and the harm they can cause to this site and the members of this forum in the future. I have been part of this site since back when it was still called MK5.org and I'm just afraid to see it all just fall apart due to some bad decisions from those in charge, y'know. Garlador's threads are awesome and now they are ruining it all by trying to cram it all into one thread, calling him an attention whore etc.. It just angers me.
But again, sorry for my little personal rant. The topic shouldn't get hidden from the public though.
raidenthefridge
About Me

Thanks to MINION for taking my Siginity!

01/24/2012 08:30 AM (UTC)
I love how the community was consulted on this matter before action was taken.

Thanks guys.

GO GLAD!
m0s3pH
About Me

01/24/2012 08:31 AM (UTC)
raidenthefridge Wrote:

Thanks guys.

GO GLAD!

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but if every single member of the community were polled on something before it got done, then nothing would get done... not to mention there would no longer be a purpose to having a staff anymore.
Jaded-Raven
01/24/2012 08:35 AM (UTC)
m0s3pH Wrote:
raidenthefridge Wrote:

Thanks guys.

GO GLAD!

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but if every single member of the community were polled on something before it got done, then nothing would get done... not to mention there would no longer be a purpose to having a staff anymore.

I would say a public announcement at first would suffice. Like, informing us of what is going to happen, to prepare us for the changes. Not necessarily ask every member what they feel about it.
m0s3pH
About Me

01/24/2012 08:41 AM (UTC)
Jaded-Raven Wrote:
m0s3pH Wrote:
raidenthefridge Wrote:

Thanks guys.

GO GLAD!

I would say a public announcement at first would suffice. Like, informing us of what is going to happen, to prepare us for the changes. Not necessarily ask every member what they feel about it.

Normally I'd agree, but this place has always been about keeping things under wraps until the staff gets the green light to reveal information. It requires a certain degree of trust from the userbase, sure, but it does work.
Pages: 3
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.