Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
MK Online Site Updates
  • August 6th, 2018
    MKO's Interviews with the Film Cast: Coming Thursday [Read On]
  • July 29th, 2018
    MK Online Stream to Host Movie Star Q&A Friday [Read On]
  • July 23rd, 2018
    Kombat Kon Date Announced: October 27, 2018 [Read On]
  • July 23rd, 2018
    SDCC: Paris Jackson Cosplays Sonya at Comic-Con [Read On]
  • July 19th, 2018
    Review: Injustice vs. Masters of the Universe #1 [Read On]

MK Online User Poll

Kombat Kon 2018?
Get over here! (51.0%)
Out of kredits. (48.9%)

Forum Listings

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat Series General

Discuss the universe of Mortal Kombat.
Page of 2

Mick-LuciferPosted: 09/10/2012 11:52 PMStatus ::
Scorpion in Gamesradar Top 7 Fighting Game Characters

Love or hate the guy, Scorpion is a lost soul bent on revenge and total market penetration! The iconic ninja from hell keeps his PR machine rolling, featured at #7 on Gamesradar's Top 7 Fighting Game Characters list.

Topped by Street Fighter's dominant world warrior: Ryu -- the eclectic list also includes popular names from Tekken, King of Fighters and Darkstalkers. Somewhat surprisingly, Scorpion trails Nakoruru on the list, the number six ranked warrior princess from Samurai Showdown.

Playing perfectly into the twentieth anniversary of Mortal Kombat, Gamesradar cite the original arcade moment of Scorpion's fatality as one of their reasons for adding him to the list.

Tell most any gamer to “Get over here!” and they’ll immediately understand which yellow-clad ninja you’re referring to. With his classic spear pull and the unforgettable fire-breathing “Toasty!” fatality, Scorpion is the true face of the Mortal Kombat franchise. What’s left of his face, anyway. Watching this vengeance-crazed phantom remove his mask to reveal a skull was an exemplary “OH $#*%!” moment in ‘90s arcades.

Also earning honorable mentions from the "tough competition in the MK franchise": Sub-Zero and Raiden. Both were popular choices when Mortal Kombat Online staged a fan-wide poll to determine the all-time Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion.

Those not satisfied with Street Fighter's ruling status can always get a little payback through IGN START's Ultimate Fan Fights. Live-action fantasy battles are determined by watching the outcome of choice, with the most popular ending crowned winner. Scorpion and Ryu are fighting it out in the second episode.

The full list can be found on Gamesradar.com. Did they get it right? Post your own favourite fighting characters on the forums! Double your fun by following the fate of the winners of the Supreme Mortal Kombat Tag Team tournament.

MINIONPosted: 09/11/2012 12:07 AMStatus ::

Visits::11469
Nationality::United States
RE: Scorpion in Gamesradar Top 7 Fighting Game Characters

Scorpion is basically Inevitable in everything. Not a bad thing. But Like Nirvana. Who doesn't know who Scorpion is? hehe. Anywho, Congrats Scorp.

Groundbreaking Debut | You[Tube] | deviantART | Twitter
mkwhopperPosted: 09/11/2012 12:21 AMStatus ::

Visits::4514

Who didn't see this coming?

SubMan799Posted: 09/11/2012 02:29 AMStatus ::

Visits::15217
Nationality::Vatican City

who the fuck is nakoruru

Jaded-RavenPosted: 09/11/2012 03:23 AMStatus ::

Visits::12259
Nationality::Denmark

SubMan799 Wrote:
who the fuck is nakoruru

Nakoruru is an Ainu girl, a warrior fighting for the sake of keeping nature intact and protect its spirits. She has a knife and fights with a wolf and a hawk at her side. She is from the Samurai Shodown series. A classic and unique character, iconic for her style and gameplay.

NephritePosted: 09/11/2012 06:44 AMStatus ::

Visits::3779
Nationality::Croatia

I'm only familiar with 3 out of the 7 characters listed: Scorpion, Yoshimitsu and Ryu. Not one of them is my favorite from their respective series, but I do like Yoshimitsu. He'd probably make my Top 7 in both, Tekken and Soul Calibur.

Jaded-RavenPosted: 09/11/2012 07:22 AMStatus ::

Being a fan of fighting games since I was a kid, I've researched ALOT of different games and know most of them and the characters that appear in them, some more than others, of course. :P
I'm no expert, but most of my memory capacity is full of fighting game info which is probably why I tend to easily forget everything else. XD
Also, FightersGeneration.com is also a great source to remind me of the different characters and games, should I be in doubt.

MurcielagoPosted: 09/11/2012 07:32 AMStatus ::

Visits::2471

I know 5 out of the 7. And hell yeah Morrigan.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
PSN: Inxomniac
Jaded-RavenPosted: 09/11/2012 08:11 AMStatus ::

I didn't realize we could vote for one of them. XD
I totally voted for Morrigan. ^^

KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 09/11/2012 08:26 AMStatus ::

Visits::19712

Scorpion should've been higher.

photo 08EDBB95-0972-4D12-94BB-8107B5418EAA_zpsyuwphky8.jpg
Jaded-RavenPosted: 09/11/2012 09:12 AMStatus ::

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:

HAH! No.

RiyakouPosted: 09/11/2012 09:15 AMStatus ::

Visits::5625

I'm going to shove my hatred up my ads just this once and say Congrats.

Anyhoo, I'll take up Mick's offer and list my seven favorites:

7. Lili (Tekken)
6. Isabella Valentine (Soulcalibur)
5. Kirby (Super Smash Bros.)
4. Karina (Various)
3. Hsien Ko (Darkstalkers)
2. Quan Chi (Mortal Kombat)
1. Voldo (Soulcalibur)

KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 09/11/2012 09:38 AMStatus ::

Visits::19712

Jaded-Raven Wrote:
KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:

HAH! No.

(Laughs) Oh you.

I just feel like he's WAY more recognizable than everybody else other than Ryu. I think he should've at least got 2nd. Also I'd like to list my Top 7:

7. Kilik (Soul Caliber)
6. Blanka (Street Fighter)
5. Luigi (Super Smash Bros.)
4. Strider Hiryu (Marvel vs. Capcom)
3. Kuma (Tekken)
2. Nariko (Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale)
1. Kung Lao (Mortal Kombat)

photo 08EDBB95-0972-4D12-94BB-8107B5418EAA_zpsyuwphky8.jpg
MurcielagoPosted: 09/11/2012 10:10 AMStatus ::

Hmmmmmmmmm.

7. Valentine (Skullgirls)
6. Asuka Kazama (Tekken)
5. Ike (Super Smash Bros Brawl)
4. Mai Shiranui (King of Fighters)
3. Mileena (Mortal Kombat)
2. Jin (Marvel vs Capcom 2)
1. Nightmare (Soul Caliber 2)

Yeah, something like that.

IcebabyPosted: 09/11/2012 10:54 AMStatus ::

Visits::11648

Scorpion SHOULD have been higher on that list. I don't know Yoshimitsu, Sol Badguy, Nakoruru, Terry, or Morgan that well enough to actually say they're better than him. I do know the games they are from... well, except for Sol Badguy, but to honestly say that they're better than Scorpion... I'd have Ryu and Scorpion be next to each other on the list.

I'd also would have preferred if it was Sub-Zero, but it's whatever.

JiminyCroquetPosted: 09/13/2012 09:13 AMStatus ::

Visits::238

Icebaby Wrote:
Scorpion SHOULD have been higher on that list. I don't know Yoshimitsu, Sol Badguy, Nakoruru, Terry, or Morgan that well enough to actually say they're better than him. I do know the games they are from... well, except for Sol Badguy, but to honestly say that they're better than Scorpion... I'd have Ryu and Scorpion be next to each other on the list.

Rock You, floppy top. Ryu and Scorpion are nowhere near the same level when it comes to global recognition. And seriously, how have you never played a Guilty Gear game? I mean, I could understand if it was Yuka from Super V.G. or some other crappy niche fighter, but coming out of the game that singlehandedly popularised that retarded numpad notation is just goofy. Nakoruru is really the only problem on that list in regard to the respective series, Haohmaru or Galford would have been a better fit there. Kind of surprised they left out Virtua Fighter and just let the list sit at 7 instead of an even 10, which they'd have gotten easily by including VF, then splitting KoF/FF and Tekken/SC.

IcebabyPosted: 09/13/2012 09:18 AMStatus ::

JiminyCroquet Wrote:
Icebaby Wrote:

Rock You, floppy top. Ryu and Scorpion are nowhere near the same level when it comes to global recognition. And seriously, how have you never played a Guilty Gear game? I mean, I could understand if it was Yuka from Super V.G. or some other crappy niche fighter, but coming out of the game that singlehandedly popularised that retarded numpad notation is just goofy. Nakoruru is really the only problem on that list in regard to the respective series, Haohmaru or Galford would have been a better fit there. Kind of surprised they left out Virtua Fighter and just let the list sit at 7 instead of an even 10, which they'd have gotten easily by including VF, then splitting KoF/FF and Tekken/SC.

It's called "matter of opinion," dude. I put Mortal Kombat above all of those games, right next to Street Fighter. Don't like it, oh well.

MurcielagoPosted: 09/13/2012 09:25 AMStatus ::

I've never played a Guilty Gears game before as well.

DistraughtOverlordPosted: 09/13/2012 10:04 AMStatus ::

Visits::137
Nationality::Canada

Ryu and Scorpion are my favorites out of the 7. Also like Terry. I'm surprised though that Yoshimitsu makes the cut even though he's been in both SC and Tekken. Not sad about that but i would have thought Taki and Kazuya would have taken the spot.

There the ones i know, along with Morrigan but i guest i'm the only one to think that Morrigan is the annoying character of the Darkstalkers. Prefer Felicia, Talbain and Lord Raptor/Zabel.

As far as top seven: -Cervantes (SC) -Nitara (MK) -Ryu (SF) -Vanessa Lewis (VF) -Ivy (SC) -Felicia (The Darkstalkers) -Koyasha (Mace the Dark age) -Spinal and/or Orchid (KI)

Photobucket
Jaded-RavenPosted: 09/14/2012 05:10 AMStatus ::

When thinking about when the different characters came out, the popularity of the games and those characters etc, then I see why the list makes sense. Scorpion might be popular within the MK community, but outside he is just a recognizable character, but not necessarily popular or well-liked. Mortal Kombat as a franchise is not nearly as big as any of those other fighting games simply because it is American-made and hasn't been that popular in Japan which is the base of the fighting game community, mostly due to the many Japanese fighting games. It is only the most recent MK that has had a big impact on said community while the others have been popular for many years. Therefore, Scorpion does not deserve a higher spot on the list.

MKKitanaPosted: 09/14/2012 07:45 AMStatus ::

Visits::5616
Nationality::Scotland

Probably the most random of lists ever. Not heard of a couple and I ahte Morrigan. Scorprion should be higher.

My own Top 7......hmmmm.....off the top of my head

7. T Hawk
6. Sub Zero
5. Sophitia Alexandra
4. Michelle Chang
3. Hsien-Ko
2. Sareena
1. Kitana

RiyakouPosted: 09/14/2012 11:19 AMStatus ::

Visits::5625

Jaded-Raven Wrote:
When thinking about when the different characters came out, the popularity of the games and those characters etc, then I see why the list makes sense. Scorpion might be popular within the MK community, but outside he is just a recognizable character, but not necessarily popular or well-liked. Mortal Kombat as a franchise is not nearly as big as any of those other fighting games simply because it is American-made and hasn't been that popular in Japan which is the base of the fighting game community, mostly due to the many Japanese fighting games. It is only the most recent MK that has had a big impact on said community while the others have been popular for many years. Therefore, Scorpion does not deserve a higher spot on the list.

Well put, JR.

I don't think Yoshimitsu should've been picked for Tekken or Soulcalibur, even though he is one of the original Tekken characters and one of my favorites.

I see Nina Williams and Heihachi as bigger fighting icons than Yoshimitsu, and ad for Soulcalibur, they should've chosen Nightmare.

As for Morrigan, she should have been #3.

Jaded-RavenPosted: 09/14/2012 12:08 PMStatus ::

Riyakou Wrote:
Jaded-Raven Wrote:

Well put, JR.

I don't think Yoshimitsu should've been picked for Tekken or Soulcalibur, even though he is one of the original Tekken characters and one of my favorites.

I see Nina Williams and Heihachi as bigger fighting icons than Yoshimitsu, and ad for Soulcalibur, they should've chosen Nightmare.

As for Morrigan, she should have been #3.

Personally, I would put Nina before anyone else in Tekken, but Yoshimitsu is heavily recognizable even for non-Tekken gamers. Nina is not. Though Heihachi is quite popular as well, from my understanding that is, I don't think he is that well-recognized like Yoshi is.

As for Soul Calibur, I would choose Ivy. I would dare say she is the most popular SC character for two main reasons...

... Her appearance and her weapon.
What, you thought I was gonna say her boobs, didn't you? ;P

Baraka407Posted: 09/14/2012 12:47 PMStatus ::

Visits::9084

I dunno, these lists of top characters and games are always vague because you never know their criteria. I'm guessing it's just a bunch of dudes in a room throwing out ideas and then arguing over it until a list is agreed upon.

Or in the case of IGN's top 100 RPGs of all time list, they have the names of all RPGs and a monkey throws his poop at them (just a guess, but probably accurate).

Anyways, if we're talking about the most iconic characters, then yes, Scorpion should be #2 on this list behind Ryu. I also don't thinkt hat a character from Guilty Gear makes my top 7. Top 10 maybe.

My top 7 would be:

7. B. Orchid (Killer Instinct)
6. Terry Bogard (King of Fighters)
5. Haohmaru Tsunami (Samurai Shodown)
4. Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
3. Akira Yuki (Virtua Fighter)
2. Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
1. Ryu (Street Fighter)

IcebabyPosted: 09/14/2012 12:58 PMStatus ::

Jaded-Raven Wrote:

I beg the differ. Mortal Kombat back when it first came out made such a huge impact everywhere. It's why we have the ESRB put in place. Sure, the series died out, so did a lot of them. Come on, repetitive versions of Street Fighter 2? We really need that much? All these others games, well... Every time I've been to someone's house who's big on fighting games, never once owned any of these other games that are on the list. Sure, that's not saying much, but it shows that I know a handful of people that hardly play these games that you're claiming is far superior than Mortal Kombat in popularity-wise.

If this list is going by "most iconic" then, yes, in my opinion, Scorpion should be higher. I know who all these other characters are, with the exception of what I posted earlier. Yeah, they're all popular games that came from Japan and such, however, I don't see how some demon girl is more popular than a hell-bent specter who pulls his face off and burns his opponents to a crisp. I will say that Ryu does deserve to be higher on that list as well because he came first, and his sayings are classic and such. He really does want some pancakes, yes I get it.!

And mind you, Scorpion isn't one of my all-time favorite characters, but he is a likeable one in my books. Just sayin'.

Page of 2

© 1998-2018 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.