Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (23.5%)
Jade (41.1%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (26.4%)
Freddy Krueger (8.8%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • January 5th, 2018
    Enchantress Takes Control in Injustice 2 Trailer [Read On]
  • January 4th, 2018
    Great Big Story Spotlight Voice of Shao Kahn: Steve Ritchie [Read On]
  • December 22nd, 2017
    When The Disaster Artist Met Mortal Kombat [Read On]
  • December 20th, 2017
    MKX Mobile 2017 Holiday Bonuses & Updates [Read On]
  • December 15th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Limited Console Free Trial [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Media & Merchandise

Discussing Mortal Kombat in Movies, Television, New Media and Merchandising.
Page of 1

Mick-LuciferPosted: 12/04/2012 11:26 PMStatus ::
Michael Jai White Confirms Movie Role Return - No Legacy

In the latest Mortal Kombat: Legacy casting twist, Michael Jai White has confirmed he will not be returning to the digitally released series -- but will reprise his role for the upcoming feature film!

White made an immediate impact headlining the series as man of action, Jackson "Jax" Briggs. Along with Legacy co-stars; Jeri Ryan, Ian Anthony Dale and Matt Mullins -- he was an early adopter for the series, appearing in Kevin Tancharoen's buzz building showreel: Rebirth. He featured prominently in the record breaking first two episodes, battling Darren Shahlavi's Kano.

Updates regarding the feature release have been scarce, but a budget of $40-50 million was recently revealed by producer, Lance Sloan. Jax was confirmed for a role in script teasers posted in June, with a showdown against Kabal an apparent feature.

The second series of Legacy has undergone significant casting shake-ups, shedding several featured actors from the first run, in exchange for some surprising familiar names. Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa was part of a major announcement yesterday from Warner Brothers; returning to the role he made famous two decades ago in the first feature film - Shang Tsung. Mark Dacascos (Kung Lao) and Casper Van Dien (Johnny Cage) added further name recognition. Filming began November 28, for a Second Quarter 2013 release.

Special thanks to MKOmmunity user Sweetre15 not only for forwarding the tweet, but also coaxing it out of the star! News from the series is coming fast and thick. Stay up-to-date and discuss all the buzz in the Media & Merchandise forum!

Sweetre15Posted: 12/04/2012 11:41 PMStatus ::

Visits::1475
Nationality::United States
RE: Michael Jai White Confirms Movie Role Return - No Legacy

I'm thinking that the characters won't recover from the events of episode 2 until the movie. Since they were "hospitalized" and all.

Sweetre15Posted: 12/04/2012 11:44 PMStatus ::

^ IF Kano gets recast I can see a change where Kano enters the tournament and due to Jax and Sonya still being injured, Stryker goes to fight in their place.

RiyakouPosted: 12/05/2012 12:04 AMStatus ::

Visits::5625

That's kinda backwards, but at least he's in something.

Hopefully Jax is not in season 2 at all. I can handle someone else playing him.

oraclePosted: 12/05/2012 01:25 AMStatus ::

Visits::9368

That's the best good and bad news I've heard so far lol.

-sig by MINION Image and video hosting by TinyPic
FrikandelPosted: 12/05/2012 01:59 AMStatus ::

Visits::6074
Nationality::Netherlands

Really...really...Casper vanDien is Johnny Cage, why would someone make a martial arts film and cast actors that have nothing to do with martial arts...he isn't even a decent actor.

I do not understand hollywood sometimes, why not cast Ray Park or better yet why not cast Scott Adkins, than you have a serious martial arts actor.

FR1KANDEL Trophy Card
Sweetre15Posted: 12/05/2012 02:16 AMStatus ::

Frikandel Wrote:
Really...really...Casper vanDien is Johnny Cage, why would someone make a martial arts film and cast actors that have nothing to do with martial arts...he isn't even a decent actor.

I do not understand hollywood sometimes, why not cast Ray Park or better yet why not cast Scott Adkins, than you have a serious martial arts actor.

Well from what I've read, he's been trained in Martial arts Choreo(not so much the art itself) from Sean Garret whom is his best friend so hopefully.....that helps here.

And there was an interview from two years ago where Harry Shum mentioned that when he was younger he practiced martial arts but stopped when he got older. I'd like to think that the stuff he DID learn could potentially have stayed with him and hopefully his experience in choreography as a whole helps that as well.

So overall, that's TWO actors, out of many whom are experts in the cast, that don't have a noted black belt in Martial arts but have experience in it in some form.

raidenthefridgePosted: 12/05/2012 08:01 AMStatus ::

Visits::3798
Nationality::Northern Ireland

Yea, Jax didnt compete in MK1 so I can deal with him not being there, I'm glad his cast for the movie though.

He suits the role.

Thanks to MINION for taking my Siginity!
johnny1upPosted: 12/05/2012 01:56 PMStatus ::

Visits::3633

That's a disappointment; Michael Jai White was probably the best actor to play Jax. I'm glad he'll be in the movie though.

I agree that Jax shouldn't even be in the second season; it just wouldn't be right to have someone else playing the part. If a large portion of the film is actually taking place in the first tournament then it won't be a big deal that Jax isn't there. After all, he wasn't in the first Mortal Kombat game.

hey
wrdlfe21version21Posted: 12/05/2012 03:19 PMStatus ::

Visits::9039

Thats a bit of a drag. I am glad to see he’ll be in the movie. Michael Jai White is the man. Lest we forget “Fuck protocol!”

ZentilePosted: 12/05/2012 08:28 PMStatus ::

Visits::13932
Nationality::Portugal

I've never liked the character of Jax until Michael Jai White. I'm glad he's doing the movie.

Noobsmoke92Posted: 12/05/2012 09:32 PMStatus ::

Visits::7588
Nationality::Azerbaijan

"You know what? Fuck protocol! I'll go myself!"

I can't picture anyone else saying it in such a badass manner other than MJW. If he is in the movie,then no Jax in Legacy 2 plz!

oraclePosted: 12/06/2012 02:35 AMStatus ::

Visits::9368

Kind of subjective. Not all athletes can act but many actors can probably pretend to be accomplished fighters.

-sig by MINION Image and video hosting by TinyPic
ThePredator151Posted: 12/06/2012 02:26 PMStatus ::

Visits::1547

I appreciate it the most when they have the right actors/actresses in the right roles, playing the right characters. I like it that he's going to be in the movie instead. And I hope they don't try and have some weird replacement for a forced Jax role in series 2. Michael Jai White for the Jax character is a lot like the dorrito taco..in that, him in that character role probably should've happened a long ass time ago. But, now that he's there, it's good...keep it good.

I'm more concerned about some of the other characters (for the movie more than the 2nd season, that is).

Johnny Cage: We now seem to have a bunch of Johnny Cage prospects so, not worried there.
Kano: Found another really good Kano in Darren Shahlavi. He's not definitively "better" for the role than Trevor Goddard (r.i.p.) but, he's damn good despite it! He personifies Kano's wit and intelligence a lot better so I like him a lot.
Quan Chi: Change out the Quan Chi from MK:L for someone better in the movie. I understood what they tried to do but, nah, someone else has to do that role alot better. Someone who can portray Pinhead from Hellraiser, but is also build athletically and is fighter capable. Dunno who that is but...yea.
Sonya Blade: I think we lost pretty good Sonya from the first movie. I didn't like the Sonya from the second movie, and when it comes to Jeri Ryan, I think she's in-between my opinions about movie 1 & movie 2 Sonyas. There definitely a better Sonya actress out there, but between the 3 that have been there, idk who.

Right now I think ee lost "the perfect" Kitana, Liu Kang, Raiden, and Shang Tsung. I think we gained the perfect Scorpion and Sub-Zero from the MK:Legacy season 1, and I think they should use those same guys on the big screen.

The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
- Lead Graphic Designer - Mortal Kombat Online -

:G-play :Story :F-Design :Cutout :Get Sig :Raiden :Fans [1] [2] :#LegendaryArts
sonicherosfan1Posted: 12/06/2012 04:26 PMStatus ::

Visits::2646

I just don't think, they would have brought Casper in just for MKL, if they weren't planning on using him for the movie. Same thing with Cary returning to play Shang tsung.

As for Jax and Michael Jai White. I never really cared for the character, so this doesn't affect me whatsoever. I liked White in Spawn though.

RiyakouPosted: 12/07/2012 02:03 AMStatus ::

Visits::5625

ThePredator151 Wrote:
I appreciate it the most when they have the right actors/actresses in the right roles, playing the right characters. I like it that he's going to be in the movie instead. And I hope they don't try and have some weird replacement for a forced Jax role in series 2. Michael Jai White for the Jax character is a lot like the dorrito taco..in that, him in that character role probably should've happened a long ass time ago. But, now that he's there, it's good...keep it good.

I'm more concerned about some of the other characters (for the movie more than the 2nd season, that is).

Johnny Cage: We now seem to have a bunch of Johnny Cage prospects so, not worried there.

Kano: Found another really good Kano in Darren Shahlavi. He's not definitively "better" for the role than Trevor Goddard (r.i.p.) but, he's damn good despite it! He personifies Kano's wit and intelligence a lot better so I like him a lot.

Quan Chi: Change out the Quan Chi from MK:L for someone better in the movie. I understood what they tried to do but, nah, someone else has to do that role alot better. Someone who can portray Pinhead from Hellraiser, but is also build athletically and is fighter capable. Dunno who that is but...yea.

Sonya Blade: I think we lost pretty good Sonya from the first movie. I didn't like the Sonya from the second movie, and when it comes to Jeri Ryan, I think she's in-between my opinions about movie 1 & movie 2 Sonyas. There definitely a better Sonya actress out there, but between the 3 that have been there, idk who.

Right now I think ee lost "the perfect" Kitana, Liu Kang, Raiden, and Shang Tsung. I think we gained the perfect Scorpion and Sub-Zero from the MK:Legacy season 1, and I think they should use those same guys on the big screen.

Message to filmmakers: Lynden Ashbey or GTFO!

Anyhoo, I think the new Kano guy is okay, but he doesn't have the ruggedness and psycho madness that Trevor Goddard had. I hope he gets more into the character.

As for Quan Chi, I've always fancied Adonis Maropis, but I would like to see a fresh new face, provided they bring back Quan Chi's MK4 voice. This new guy, however, can go fuck himself. Yes, fanboy rage!

Bridgette Wilson was a damn good Sonya, and no one will ever do a better job. However, I've always wanted to see Lucy Lawless play her, provided she lose a lot of that muscle. Of course, I'd love it Kerri Hoskins made a triumphant return to MK.

I'm loving Ian Anthony Dale as Scorpion, he actually made me hate Scorpion a little less. Plus the dude's like, mad sexy, so that helps a bunch too. lol

I don't know who the guy playing Sub-Zero is, but he can stay. I like him.

I think Jennifer Lawrence would make an excellent Kitana. She's young, incredibly beautiful, has can easily take on an "I'm pretty, but I'll kill ya.'" persona. I'd love to see her in the film.

On a side note, if Bo' Rai Cho makes it into the film *fingers crossed* Jackie Chan should definitely play him. Seriously. He's hilarious, he can play a drunk, and he's an extraordinarily talented martial artist. He's perfect for Bo' Rai Cho.

Immortal_KanjiPosted: 12/07/2012 07:53 AMStatus ::

Visits::7992
Nationality::Canada

ThePredator151 Wrote:

I think...

Matt Mullins should return as Johnny Cage

Andy On as Quan Chi

Katheryn Winnick/Ali Larter as Sonya

Celina Jade as Kitana

Shin Koyamada as Liu Kang

Page of 1

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.