News for Friday the 13th fans
posted01/16/2018 04:07 AM (UTC)by
Detox
About Me

You work with what you got...not what you hope for.

Warner Bros., in return for the opportunity to co-finance Christopher Nolan's next film, has given all sequel rights for the Friday the 13th films to Paramount. This deal is set to last five years, so I'd assume paramount would want to fast track a new film in the next year or two.

How the hell both studios have both managed to retain rights to the Friday the 13th franchise baffles me. Its also the reason a sequel hasn't looked like a possibility until now.

So what say you? Happy? Sad? Partially hydrogenated vegetable oil? Do you want a sequel to the reboot, another reboot, or are you chomping at the bit to revisit the exploits of Uber-Jason?
Spider804
06/06/2013 06:03 AM (UTC)
This series just won't die, pun intended, lol
MINION
About Me
Groundbreaking Debut | You[Tube] | deviantART | Twitter
06/07/2013 02:47 AM (UTC)
I'm probably the biggest F13th fan in my state. Ask me anything trivia wise. I'm a nerd for the series. A new movie would be Killer! no pun intended.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
10/26/2016 06:08 AM (UTC)
- Exclusive: ‘Friday the 13th’ Reboot Setting, Story, and Filming Details Teased by Producers

There were so many obstacles to surmount to get to where we are today. I’m not going to bore you with all of them but for a long time, there was a rights issue between Paramount and Warner Bros. Then there was an execution issue. At one point, the studio wanted us to make a found-footage version of that movie and that was deeply concerning to us because we didn’t think we could execute the movie in the right way if it was a found-footage movie.”

“No, Jason is a POV movie. So, it was very hard to wrap our head around how you would do a Friday the 13th that was found footage, knowing that we really need the Jason perspective of watching. We didn’t want to break the DNA of that. We also battled: do we do a sequel to the original? Do we pick up where we left off with Jared and Amanda at the end of the movie? Somehow, that didn’t find a home. So, it’s been eight years. It will be eight years since we made the last one. I’m here to say that we found the location. We have found the lake, we have found the camp. We found an amazing script by Aaron Guzikowski. Breck Eisner is directing the movie. That movie is shooting in early Spring.”

It's aliiiiiive!!
Detox
About Me

10/26/2016 03:59 PM (UTC)
It's about damn time. Fucking hell.
$unknown
11/09/2016 04:04 AM (UTC)
Fan of Friday/Jason but Platinum Dunes approach to these classic franchise and the others they have made are no less than mediocre and uninspired.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
02/07/2017 02:40 AM (UTC)
- [Exclusive] ‘Friday the 13th’ Cursed; Production Has Been Shut Down

Just about an hour ago we told you that Paramount had pulled this year’s planned Friday the 13th reboot from their release schedule, meaning Jason Voorhees will no longer be returning to the big screen on October 13th. At the time we wrote that, we weren’t sure if filming was still scheduled to begin in mid-March, as planned, but now we’ve learned a bit more about this mess.

From what we’re hearing, production on the new Friday the 13th has been indefinitely shut down, suggesting that there is indeed a death curse attached to our old pal Jason. From what we understand (from the initial story in which rights to Interstellar were swapped for “South Park’s” Cartman and Friday the 13th), Warner Bros./New Line were to get the rights to the franchise back in 2018, so it seems likely that the next Friday the 13th film will not be made by Paramount.

It's deeeaaaddd!!
$unknown
02/07/2017 10:59 PM (UTC)
Best news,it was a clusterfuck from the beginning....because it's so difficult to make a better film than Jason X and Freddy vs Jason,lol.
Detox
About Me

02/08/2017 01:30 AM (UTC)
Official footage of Jason heading back home...

Well, this sucks...
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/10/2017 05:06 AM (UTC)
- ‘Friday the 13th’: Why a Reboot of the Franchise May Be Doomed Forever

Mendez, for one, remains hopeful. “I think there’s still a lot of fun to be had with Jason Voorhees,” he said. “I wish they would do a direct-to-VOD series of films. As fans, we don’t want one movie, we want a bunch of movies. Give different filmmakers a crack at the Voorhees legend, and see what they come up with. But for now, Jason and the franchise must wait patiently at the bottom of Crystal Lake.”

Whole lot of quotes and breakdown in the article. I don't mind the [above] sentiment of handing it to filmmakers and seeing where they can take it. No hard reboots/remakes/do-overs -- just plough forward with the concept. Like an unstoppable movie maniac should!

Wouldn't say no to a well thought, slick, mid-budget, cinematic sequel, though. (Minus poorly attached high concepts).
Detox
About Me

02/10/2017 10:40 PM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
- ‘Friday the 13th’: Why a Reboot of the Franchise May Be Doomed Forever

Mendez, for one, remains hopeful. “I think there’s still a lot of fun to be had with Jason Voorhees,” he said. “I wish they would do a direct-to-VOD series of films. As fans, we don’t want one movie, we want a bunch of movies. Give different filmmakers a crack at the Voorhees legend, and see what they come up with. But for now, Jason and the franchise must wait patiently at the bottom of Crystal Lake.”

Whole lot of quotes and breakdown in the article. I don't mind the [above] sentiment of handing it to filmmakers and seeing where they can take it. No hard reboots/remakes/do-overs -- just plough forward with the concept. Like an unstoppable movie maniac should!

Wouldn't say no to a well thought, slick, mid-budget, cinematic sequel, though. (Minus poorly attached high concepts).

Just read the same piece and intended to stick it here. Great minds. It's a nice overview of everything that brought us to yet another shelved F13 project. I can't imagine once the rights revert back to New Line/WB that much will happen. They traded the license just to get their name on a Nolan movie, that just about says it all.
Detox
About Me

02/18/2017 02:25 AM (UTC)
Bloody Disgusting has apparently gotten an undated copy of what was supposed to be the new Friday the 13th.

Read their breakdown here

Man...if this is truly what was to be made, than maybe this whole cancellation was for the best. Good lord. In a word...bloated.
Venkman28
About Me
I know what I have given you. I do not know what you have received.
02/23/2017 02:23 AM (UTC)
To be honest, I'm glad it didn't get made.

If New Line/WB do get the rights back, what could they do? The last time they did something was Freddy vs Jason and that was almost 15 years ago. I don't know how they could with cyborg Jason considering he's probably ashes now with the end of Jason X.

I do remember from Avatar Press there was a one-shot comic that led to Uber- Jason vs Old Jason on a cruise star ship. Really weird one that comic was.

Perhaps a sequel or maybe a Freddy vs Jason 2 that leads into Jason X with Jason being captured and being experimented on?
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/24/2017 03:54 AM (UTC)
Detox Wrote:
Bloody Disgusting has apparently gotten an undated copy of what was supposed to be the new Friday the 13th.

Read their breakdown here

Man...if this is truly what was to be made, than maybe this whole cancellation was for the best. Good lord. In a word...bloated.

I don't know what I was expecting, but it was much worse than this.

Remakes, restarts, and retellings can generally go screw, but as a film, the content at least sounds succinct. Who knows how it would've actually turned out, though.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

06/14/2017 02:13 PM (UTC)
- 'Friday the 13th' Producer Points to Writers' Union Membership in Bid to Retain Franchise Rights

Imagine this Friday the 13th horror story: The franchise is ripped apart. In the United States, new films in the canon are made but without the "Jason" character. Outside the country, other Friday the 13th sequels come — these with "Jason" — but are banned domestically. If that sounds odd, it's all possible thanks to the 1976 Copyright Act and what happens soon in a Connecticut federal court.

In the 1970s, the U.S. Congress amended copyright law by allowing authors or their heirs to terminate a grant of rights and reclaim ownership. Victor Miller, the screenwriter of the original Friday the 13th, is looking to do exactly that. But in a bid to reclaim rights as soon as next year, he's facing contentions from the 1980 film's producer, Sean Cunningham, that Miller wrote Friday the 13th as a work-made-for-hire and has no ability to terminate.

Now, both sides have filed summary judgment motions, and a federal judge is set to make a huge decision for the entertainment industry. Those in the movie business haven't dealt with termination rights issues to the same extent as the music industry, but the reckoning is coming. And recent court papers filed by each side in this Friday the 13th battle illustrate the stakes and also hint how the dispute could provoke some union action.

Interesting twist/scare. Lots more detail in the article.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

01/16/2018 04:07 AM (UTC)
- Is Blumhouse Planning a 'Friday the 13th' Reboot?

Blumhouse has secured three release dates for projects at Universal. The studio announced Friday that untitled projects would be released on May 31, 2019, and Jan. 3, 2020. Additionally, one set for Sept. 6, 2019, has moved to Dec. 13, 2019. Curiously enough, that date happens to be Friday the 13th.

... Does that mean Jason Blum is planning a reboot of Friday the 13th?

While details about all three of the projects were, of course, kept under wraps, the producer recently commented on the possibility of a Friday the 13th movie during an interview with CinePOP for Insidious: The Last Key. When asked if there was any other franchise he would like to tackle, he responded, "You know, I really wanted to do Friday the 13th. I would love to do that movie. Maybe someday we’ll get to do that one."

Not loving the Blum direction for Halloween, but at least it isn't Bay.
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.