Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
04/13/2014 10:00 PM (UTC)
- Now Playing Podcast: The Avengers Retrospective Series Episode 9: Captain America: The Winter Soldier [SPOILERS]

Back in the day, there were novelizations. Now if you aren't heading to the cinema to see Captain America: The Winter Soldier, you can get all the ins and outs via podcast! Riddled with spoilers, so really don't proceed if that isn't your bag. This is a complete, start-to-finish recap and review of the film - now in theatres. You can catch similar reviews of all the other Avengers films in their archive.

For a whole lot more Cap 2: check out the Captain America: The Winter Soldier thread on MKO.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
04/16/2014 01:38 PM (UTC)
- Sometimes They Come Back Retrospective Series
Episode 1: Sometimes They Come Back

Back to Stephen King for the Now Playing Podcast. Heard of Sometimes They Come Back, but pretty sure I've never come close to seeing it. Great way to get familiar with it. Knowing is half the battle.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/18/2014 05:46 AM (UTC)
- Dean Richards Entertainment Podcast: Tina Fey

By no means new, but no less delightful. I don't really know much about host Dean Richards, but I felt like listening to a little Tina Fey and this was one of the most recent hits. It's from March. There's a movie out. It involves Russians and puppets. In Soviet Russia, muppet shows you. Worth a listen. (Also on iTunes).
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/18/2014 04:02 PM (UTC)
- The Steve Austin Show Ep. 107 - WWE's Paul Heyman
- The Steve Austin Show - Unleashed! Ep. 108 - WWE's Paul Heyman Pt. 2 [NSFW]

A crossover couple of interview episodes from PodcastOne's Steve Austin Show with legendary wrestling manager, ECW promoter and all around huckster Paul Heyman. Part 2 crosses over to the Unleashed! version of the show, which includes some colourful language and such. Bear that in mind per your listening conditions.

A great sweeping discussion about businesses, ECW, WWE, gimmick building, iconic wrestling moments, Heyman getting fired, Vince McMahon's hate of sneezing and a whole lot more. Not sure how interesting all of this stuff will be to the uninitiated, but if you get through the Austin intro buffer and advertising, there's a very clear, coherent piece of interview and discussion material.

As always, this topic lives in the world famous Wrestling Superthread.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/19/2014 03:33 AM (UTC)
- FOFOP #107- A Show About Gloves [NSFW]

Wil is joined by Guest Charlie Greg Behrendt to discuss how the way to a girl’s heart is through your toilet, the illuminati dream team, Australian bands of the 80s, ghostbusters on mushrooms, oprah life classes, the downside to being invisible and get some comedy advice from Bill Burr.

Tired. Sound. Good. Ugg.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/21/2014 12:47 AM (UTC)
- Here's The Thing with Alec Baldwin: David Letterman

Sometimes I really just need to remind myself that there are brilliant, creative people in the world. I'm sad to say I missed this one the first time around, but was very happy to go back to Here's The Thing to listen to a 2012 episode featuring David Letterman.

I'm a big fan. As many will know, Letterman announced his impending 2015 retirement. Morsels of insight like this will either become more abundant, or be all the more valuable. Either way, it's a nice, casual conversation and enjoyable listen.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/22/2014 03:20 AM (UTC)
- Here's The Thing with Alec Baldwin: Thom Yorke

One good turn deserves another, so I had a listen to a couple more episodes of Alec Baldwin's Here's The Thing. If you enjoy the music of Thom Yorke and/or Radiohead, and the anti-rockstar flippancy that is customary for his interviews, you might enjoy this. I'm not sure it's as illuminating as it is just interesting to hear two different people, with different approaches to certain things chatting. Of course there are some interesting tidbits, music clips and information, but it's another nice casual chat.

- Here's The Thing with Alec Baldwin: Jerry Seinfeld

Far from hard hitting copy, but an episode and guest with a slightly harder edge. Unlike the other episode, I did learn one or two things about Seinfeld - the man, as opposed to the character or show - that I didn't know. For example, I'm sure I've heard meditation mentioned before -- (I can't help but think of an episode of Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm, in the absence of a Seinfeld) -- but I didn't know he'd been meditating since the seventies. On the flipside of that, he talks about some of his cut throat attitudes to success and the industry, which is inevitably true of any truly successful person, but is not the character you might associate with the Seinfeld of TV, or even stand-up.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/23/2014 02:10 AM (UTC)
- Place to Be Podcast Episode 306: 3/25/02 RAW

Place 2 Be follow up their Vintage Vault Wrestlemania X-8 episode not with the next in the monthly PPV cycle -- but rather the milestone March 25 RAW that featured the first ever WWE Draft. They've gone through the show beat for beat to comment on the picks from the perspective of now and then, and illuminate how things would unfold. I personally don't hold the draft itself in the highest esteem, but 2002 was one of my all-time favourite years for WWE, and what comes after it is a very compelling 12 months for a variety of reasons. So it's a good place to revisit.

As always, be encouraged to further the conversation in the WWE Superthread.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/24/2014 02:04 AM (UTC)
- I Love Green Guide Letters Ep 116 : LIVE! Livinia Nixon, Greg Fleet & Luke McGregor love the 10/04/14 Letters [NSFW]

More Australians loving complaint letters to a regional television guide about local programming. Mmm, diverse demographics assemble! Comedians Greg Fleet & Luke McGregor return to I Love Green Guide Letters, with special guest and Australian TV sweetheart Livinia Nixon. Notable for another surprising and particularly obtuse Mortal Kombat reference.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/25/2014 07:55 AM (UTC)
Episode 2: Sometimes They Come Back... Again

Now Playing Podcast continues its Stephen King super retrospective series with the second in the inconceivable Sometimes They Come Back franchise. A great way to catch up with a forgotten bit of horror that's as much a pre-Scream mid-nineties time capsule as it is an obscurity in the King film canon. If anyone else has been slightly mystified by Hillary Swank's Oscar career -- you might appreciate this one.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/26/2014 12:08 PM (UTC)
- Here's The Thing with Alec Baldwin: Michael Douglas

In the last couple of days I've been back in Here's The Thing territory. If the show deserves distinction, one of its great qualities is its sense of normality. I can't claim to be a fan of Michael Douglas, but I enjoyed hearing the human being as interview subject, rather than the celebrity. I think in work and public persona, Douglas projects a character of human substance wrapped in what ever distanced façade is necessary for the role. Baldwin touches on the elephants in the room here - father (Kirk). addiction (sex) and health (cancer). It ends with the intruding arrival of Douglas' daughter, from school. Appropriate.

- Here's The Thing with Alec Baldwin: Brian Williams

I can't help but wonder if this Brian Williams episode won't be more interesting to someone better informed. Being foreign, my familiarity with Brian Williams the anchor is very limited. I was very quickly taken by his charm and wit on The Late Show (with Letterman) and 30 Rock. My only exposure to the serious newscaster is in the odd clip I might've seen on a breakfast show, or hard copy 20/20 type thing. He's a very funny guy. That's evident in this interview, which, among other things, illuminates why this funny alternate persona was ever even exposed. Spoilers: Chevvy Chase was involved. Very interesting stuff. [Note: Aside from being a funny, intelligent, well presented personality, I think he reminds me a little bit of Jimmy Stewart. That can't hurt.]

- Here's The Thing with Alec Baldwin: Andrew McCarthy

The beauty of podcast programming like Here's The Thing is that it can expose you to interesting new people and perspectives. Baldwin spoke of this quality in an essay for the New York Times, where he talked about struggling to adapt the series for corporate television. I, rather shamefully, am yet to really embrace this quality. I've been warming to the show through the personalities I know. Andrew McCarthy is obviously one of them.

I can't say this struck me as a terrific interview, but the subject of the Brat Pack and the difficulty it has presented for actors like McCarthy is always interesting. His early stardom is discussed, not necessarily in any informative new way. They talk craft, which is always nice, if up for debate where specifics of approach are concerned.

- Here's The Thing with Alec Baldwin: Fred Armisen

I've never been a big Saturday Night Live follower, so my exposure to Fred Armisen has been through relatively recent indoctrination into his off-season project: Portlandia. It's simple, vague, specific, nuanced. Armisen talks about his influences and philosophies, which clearly inform a great deal of Portlandia. If you aren't already a fan, or taking an interest, I don't think this interview will win you over. Then again, maybe it will. If you watch Portlandia, I get a sense that you've already absorbed enough of this person to be unsurprised by the information shared. Like some other episodes, it's as interesting to hear Alec Baldwin engaging someone different as it is to receive the interview.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/30/2014 05:26 AM (UTC)
- Place to Be Podcast Episode 308: Backlash 2002

The Place 2 Be Vintage Vault keeps rolling on, following the WWE Draft episode with the next in the 2002 PPV cycle: Backlash. By this point, Backlash was pretty effectively the starting point for the new WWE season. To my mind, this is the first step toward a power run in the last half of the year. 2002-2003 remains one of my favourite WWE periods. P2B is a great compliment to the WWE Network and a great way to look back and the transition going on. This was the last WWF major before the WWE brand change. RAW and Smackdown are split. Brock Lesnar is here. It's all heading toward big things!

Discuss those events and more in the WWE Superthread.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/04/2014 04:00 PM (UTC)
- Talk is Jericho Ep. 35 - WWE's Cesaro

Another one of the regular Podcastone podcasts with a (former) WWE legend. Talk is Jericho drops twice a week and touches not just on wrestling, but the eclectic interests of Chris Jericho. If you want to think of the guy as an inhuman wrestling god, this isn't the podcast for you. Usually talks some TV, some childhood, some music, and/or some current events of interest before he talks to his guests.

[Antonio] Cesaro is without a doubt one of the more interesting prospects in WWE today. One of the many ROH alum. He talks about his past in other promotions (including some CHIKARA fun), touches on his early days in Europe and his journey from Switzerland to the WWE, and generally chats about himself as a young wrestler. Good stuff. I haven't heard a lot from Cesaro, so I enjoyed that.

We've got a health WWE Superthread. Jump on the Cesaro bandwagon over there.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/05/2014 04:17 PM (UTC)
- May 4 Edition of The LAW feat. Jim Ross, Extreme Rules

Jim Ross and Dave Meltzer are guests on the latest episode of Live Audio Wrestling. They review this Sunday's Extreme Rules event and run it by Ross & Meltzer. They also discuss a range of other current topics, including TNA, Ring of Honor, future of Pay-Per-View, WWE event themes, and KENTA signing with WWE (and what his role might be).

Share your thoughts on these topics in the WWE Superthread.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/06/2014 05:30 PM (UTC)
Episode 3: Sometimes They Come Back... for More

Now Playing concluded their Sometimes They Come Back series with the final instalment: "... For More". A movie I've never seen, may never seen, but enjoyed hearing about. Sounds like there are some interesting influences, and a sequel approach that contrasts with the second -- but lives up to B-movie expectations.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/07/2014 01:04 PM (UTC)
- Bret Easton Ellis Podcast - Fred Armisen & Carrie Brownstein - 3/31/14

I can't really claim to be an informed Bret Easton Ellis fan. You may know him as the author of many works, among the most prominent the creation and escapades of American Psycho Patrick Bateman. That's certainly my "in". That was enough to get me interested in the author's perspective, and in his podcast, he gives it freely. Films seem to be as much the agenda as anything, so the book shy needed recoil.

Having listened to Fred Armisen on Here's The Thing, and heard Easton himself discuss this (then-recent) episode in infamy, I was very interested to get more from the duo behind Portlandia, with Carrie Brownstein completing the pairing. Ellis merges commentary about his own experience with the guest appearance and it makes for some... interesting podcast conversation. Armisen in particular seems out of sorts with the probing of the discussion. This might be a particularly interesting listen for anyone who knows him from Saturday Night Live. This may also change your perceptions of Portlandia's content (or confirm them).

- Bret Easton Ellis Podcast - Ivan Reitman - 4/07/14

Ivan Reitman - legendary figure of comedy cinema. Needs no introduction. Director of Ghostbusters, Stripes, Twins, Kindergarten Cop, Meatballs. On the show talking about his career and new film Draft Day. Again, just another great figure to listen to, learn from, and enjoy.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/07/2014 09:05 PM (UTC)
- Spider-Man Retrospective Series Episode 7: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 [SPOILERS]

Now Playing specialize in retrospective reviews of entire film series. With the release of The Amazing Spider-man 2, they've hit the cinema to maintain the completion of their previous Spider-man catalogue. This is a complete, beat for beat review and recap of the new Marc Webb directed film (now in theatres). If you're at all concerned about spoilers -- do not listen! Otherwise, this is a pretty good way to get an in depth sample of what went down.

For further discussion make sure you web-swing over to the Amazing Spider-man 2 thread! That thread's already picking up vibrations about the much talked about sequels, as well.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/14/2014 01:20 AM (UTC)
- Place to Be Podcast Episode 311: King of the Ring 2002

The Place 2 Be Vintage Vault arrives at a special event, in my heart. This is where 2002 really starts to kick into gear for the WWE and starts one of the last great runs - to my mind. King of the Ring always has the potential to be a joyous event. You've got to love a tournament. The 2002 PPV was the final KOTR single-night spectacle and only featured the Semis up. P2B don't rate it especially high. I think it was a great tournament. Memorable for officially launching Brock Lesnar in the first KOTR tournament to guarantee the winner a title shot at Summerslam.

As always, feel encourage to delve deeper into the topic in the WWE Superthread.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/16/2014 06:02 AM (UTC)
- The Lawnmower Man Retrospective Series
Episode 1: The Lawnmower Man

Now Playing continue their podcast retrospective series of all things inspired by Stephen King. The Lawnmower Man is infamous in the King canon for inspiring litigation from the author, who clearly felt strongly about its lack of representation. That gets discussed alone with many other facets of the movie, including its unique cyber sex culture and some questionable merchandising it inspired.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/24/2014 11:01 AM (UTC)
- Now Playing Podcast: The Lawnmower Man Retrospective Series
Episode 2: Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace
(aka Lawnmower Man 2: Jobe's War)

The Stephen King retrospective continues at Now Playing with the sequel to the contentiously King adaptation: The Lawnmower Man. If, like me, you saw the first one but remained largely ignorant to the Matt Frewer starring, Egyptian styled sequel, this could be the episode for you.

- Now Playing Podcast Episode 42: Godzilla (2014) [SPOILERS]

By popular demand, Now Playing goes to the theatre and returns to the podcast stream to spoil Godzilla! If you haven't seen the 2014 box office monster and intend to, you may wish to avoid this, as the "review" contains a beat-for-beat summary of the entire movie.

Talk more about the movie in the Godzilla (2014 film) thread!
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/24/2014 11:08 AM (UTC)
- FOFOP #110- Chunk And Associates

Wil is joined by David Huntsberger to discuss the draw of drawing, the truffle shuffle, getting Zapped in the pants, the point of Point Break, the downside of Andy Warhol’s The Factory and draw the line at too much Woody, not enough Allen.

- FOFOP #111- Ring vs Bang

Wil is joined by Matt Kirshen to discuss Willian (in the name of), working for donuts, time-travelling through podcasts, beards and blackboards, and try to put their finger on some cunning linguistic differences.

- FOFOP #112- Is This Thing On?

Wil is joined by Dave Hughes to discuss showing love through hate, the joys of your first day, comedic conversations with cabbies, the joy of being retrospectively witty, labelling leftists and the downside of the dole.

- FOFOP #114- I Can’t Believe It’s Not Batter

Wil is joined by Dave Anthony to discuss unhappy little vegemites, how soylent batter is people, bringing a black guy to a game, planning the perfect murder, and the joy of kids killing other kids.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/26/2014 02:05 PM (UTC)
- Ep 120 : Tim Ferguson & Andy Matthews love the 08/05/14 Letters

We love classic Green Guide Letters about Funky Squad & Tim Ferguson as well as So You Think You Can Dance support, Logies binge drinking ad the classless acts of Tommy Little & Meshel Laurie. Plus that ruckuss causing hipster Sam Newman!

Nice quote from legendary rabble rouser Ferguson: ""Has comedy gone soft? No. Comedy hasn't gone soft. Comedians have gone soft."

- Ep 121 : LIVE! Adam Richard, Greg Fleet & Rhys Nicholson love the 15/05/14 Letters

We love classic #Staplegate Green Guide Letters as well as the Eurovision Song Contest, The Voice, the return of Eddie Wilgar and would Harry Connick hate Chris Lilley? Plus that time the Footy Show filmed in Adam Richard’s bedroom. Recorded live at the Sydney Comedy Festival.

More Australian comedy to be slightly bewildered by, but have a laugh with.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/29/2014 03:58 PM (UTC)
- Place to Be Podcast Episode 313: Kevin Kelly on First Half of WWE 2002

In this new episode of the Place to Be Podcast, our good friend Kevin Kelly stops by to talk about the first half of 20002 in WWE. He discusses Triple H’s return, the nWo, his thoughts on blood in wrestling, where Edge ranks as a singles wrestler, WrestleMania X-8, the brand split, the change in company’s name, wrestling’s greatest feuds, the Plane Ride from Hell, the nostalgia era and much more. Don’t forget to check out The Kevin Kelly Show also – only at Place to Be Nation.

At this point, they're reaching the end of Kevin Kelly's tenure at WWE, but he still has some very interesting things to say about this transitional period. If you haven't heard any of the Kevin Kelly Vintage Vault compliments, you can look forward to a sincere insider perspective delivered with candour. 2002 was a tumultuous year for WWE. The first half is the lesser, to my opinion, but it has a lot of highs that Kelly comments on.

- Place to Be Podcast Episode 314: Vengeance 2002

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin and Scott head into the Vintage Vault for Vengeance 2002. They talk about Eddie Guerrero, William Regal, Rob Van Dam, Brock Lesnar, Rock, Triple H and much more. Also, #tossedsaladandscrambledeggs.

One of my favourite periods of WWE pro wrestling, but an event I've never had fond memories of. To be honest, I'm not sure if I can't remember it worth salt, or if I just never saw the damn thing. Hodge-podge card sandwiched between a great King of the Ring and much better things to come as the year rolls on. Fun to revisit. John Cena makes his PPV match debut. Just one of the matches that soured my impressions back in '02.

Don't forget to discuss these topics and more wrestling in the WWE Wrestling Superthread.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

06/01/2014 10:32 PM (UTC)
- Now Playing Podcast: X-Men Movie Retrospective Series
Episode 8: X-Men: Days of Future Past
[SPOILERS]

Marvel's Avengers film upped audience expectations by bringing four solo cinematic superheroes together for one explosive adventure. Now Fox tries to go one better by bringing two entire superteams together! The catch: they're both the X-Men. In X-Men: Days of Future Past the original X-Men and the First Class cast share the screen with a dozen new mutants to try and save their species from annihilation at the hands of giant robot sentinels. Does this giant cast lead to X-treme confusion or, in the hands of returning director Bryan Singer is this X-ceptional entertainment? Listen to Now Playing's review to find out!

Note: This is a blow by blow recap of the theatrical release. If you haven't seen the film and want any surprise - you're gonna want to avoid these spoilers!

For more discussion check out the X-Men: Days of Future Past thread!
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

06/04/2014 05:18 AM (UTC)
- TOFOP #84- We’re Back, We’re Bad, You’re Black, I’m Mad [NSFW]

TOFOP Rises. Wil and Charlie discuss how everything is better with Batman, Aussie blokes called Robbo, The Amazing Racist, non-observational comedy, blackboard betrayals, Cypress Halloumi, Under The Hipster Dome and how ignorance is bliss. May contain Wil using the word literally way too much. Sorry about that.

For those not in the know -- this is a return to form for the podcast. Australian comedian Wil Anderson carried the torch with FOFOP, but it was with his friend and actor Charlie Clausen that it all began as TOFOP (Thirty Odd Foot of Pod). Clausen had to leave the podcast when he was given a part in prominent Australian prime time soap opera Home & Away. He's back (he's bad. One's black, one's mad -- as the Lethal Weapon quote from the episode went). Worth a listen if you're up for just shooting the shit with mates.

If you didn't hear the original and think you might like to get caught up on some of the references -- there's an abbreviated "gritty reboot" of the original episodes [ITWTATB - I Think We Talked About This Before] on offer that at least glosses over some of the TOFOP tropes:

- FONUS – I Think We’ve Talked About This Before [NSFW]
- FONUS – ITWTATB 2: Electric Boogaloo [NSFW]
- FONUS – ITWTATB 3: With A Vengeance [NSFW]
- FONUS- ITWTATB 4: Citizens On Patrol [NSFW]
- FONUS- ITWTATB 5: A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD [NSFW]
- FONUS- ITWTATB 6: Jason Lives/Freddy’s Dead [NSFW]
- FONUS- ITWTATB 7: Mission To Moscow [NSFW]
- FONUS- ITWTATB 8: Live And Let Die [NSFW]
- FONUS- ITWTATB 9: The Man With The Golden Pun [NSFW]
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.