Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 1 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
MK Online Site Updates
  • December 16th, 2018
    Presenting Concert Footage & Interview with Kung Lao & Others! [Read On]
  • December 16th, 2018
    Motion Capture Artists Share Behind-The-Scenes Pics, Vids [Read On]
  • December 14th, 2018
    Best Buy Remove Liu Kang & Sub-Zero From MK11 Listing [Read On]
  • December 13th, 2018
    Record Speedrunner Beats MK3 In Under 5 Minutes [Read On]
  • December 13th, 2018
    Todd McFarlane Thinks Spawn Will Be in Mortal Kombat 11 [Read On]

MK Online User Poll

MK11 Trailer MVP?
Raiden (32.4%)
Scorpion (21.6%)
Shao Kahn (20.7%)
Mystery Character (25.2%)

Forum Listings

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

2D Kombat Klassics

Discussing the 2D MK Klassics: Everything from the Original to Rereleases.
Page of 2

Mick-LuciferPosted: 03/21/2014 07:26 PMStatus ::
Ed Boon on GDC Giant Bomb Livestream

In what will no doubt go down as one of the finest moments in gaming press; NetherRealm Studios head Ed Boon appeared live on the Giant Bomb stream for the final day of the 2014 Game Developers Conference (GDC). The appearance capped off a mammoth five hours of streaming, now available archived on Twitch.tv [embedded below]. Boon appeared opposite what was left of Midway alums: David Lang (Iron Galaxy Studios CEO), John Vignocchi (Disney Interactive Executive Producer), and regular Giant Bomb host Jeff Gerstmann.

Though only briefly featured; Boon was able to share a few nuggets of general interest. Most prominent among them: an off-shoot reference to the now defunct Mortal Kombat HD Kollection, with specific focus on a remade Mortal Kombat II. There was no discussion regarding the recent news of Kiefer Sutherland working on an unspecified Mortal Kombat title [full story].

• The Grid: a modernized update subject of inside jokes and mildly registered interest. No plans for a sequel proper.
  • Indie fighting games like Divekick and Samurai Gunn only make the genre more interesting. Notes limited number of fighting game developers and expanding the market. Looking forward to Ultra Street Fighter IV.
  • Guilty Gear and Divekick: interesting alternative fighters.
  • Predicts a future Capcom fighter (Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom) will explore similar story mode to Mortal Kombat and Injustice: Gods Among Us.
  • Has discussed a traditional, sprite based Mortal Kombat II "Director's Cut" in the past. May have included embellishments taken from popular arcade myths.
  • Profane objection to invitation to drunken split screen pantomime.

The scrapped HD remake was ultimately supplanted by Mortal Kombat: Arcade Kollection; released August, 2011. Do you still carry a flame for a digitized, HD sprite remake? Share your wildest thoughts on the forums!

samus_aran3900Posted: 03/21/2014 07:31 PMStatus ::

Visits::32061
Nationality::Canada
RE: Ed Boon GDC Appearance on Giant Bomb Livestream

A directors cut of, MKII would be interesting!

IRC member DECEPTION
#MicksDesk, #gamiz, #tmk, #mortalkombat
ShingoEXPosted: 03/21/2014 08:28 PMStatus ::

Visits::31468
Nationality::United States

As long as they fix everything wrong with MK2.

seanayPosted: 03/21/2014 08:55 PMStatus ::

Visits::9294
Nationality::United Kingdom

So the mk hd is actually gunna be released now??? ... Am I dreaming ??

Mk 2 woohoo I can't wait I just hope we can have classic fatalities as well as new ones still waiting to see mk 2 Shang soul steal in 3D ... MKDA does not count because that was terrible

Mick-LuciferPosted: 03/21/2014 09:14 PMStatus ::

Visits::20055

seanay Wrote:
Am I dreaming ??

Yes.

Better The Devil you know...
MK Online Forums: Share your interests, broaden your horizons and support the kommunity with discussion forums for every topic. "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."
CageFan21Posted: 03/21/2014 10:56 PMStatus ::

Visits::670
Nationality::Honduras

Let Mortal Kombat "trolling" Begin!!!

ZmokePosted: 03/22/2014 07:34 AMStatus ::

Visits::1072
Nationality::Finland

Fast-forward to 05:01:20 to watch Ed Boon (the guy with a golden watch) sitting in the sofa.

saiZeroPosted: 03/22/2014 09:58 AMStatus ::

Visits::1198
Nationality::Germany

The cancellation of the HD remake was a huge slap in the face to MK fans.

If they remake MK2 in HD I expect all hiddens to have their own moves and bio/ending. Itd be nice to see scrapped characters as well and the inclusion of kano and sonya.

and if id really want my dreams to come true make the background characters (Masked Guard, Shaolin Monk, Shadow Priest) come to life... especially the living forest guy as seen below:

....and of course skarlet!!!!

Dennis1980Posted: 03/22/2014 10:01 AMStatus ::

Visits::131
Nationality::Netherlands

MKII is my all-time classic favourite, so bring that Director's Cut or Special version or whatever to life!!
..and yeah please give us that HD collection, that would be really Really nice!!
You have my support Ed Boon...

ratonmaloPosted: 03/22/2014 12:29 PMStatus ::

Visits::952
Nationality::Japan

Im sooo interested on it that Im going to buy MK1, MK2, MK3 and MK4 HD arcade and director cut versions!

Imagine each classic game with 2 modes. Arcade version and Director cut version!

Director cut version also can have some updates, MK2 players can run and make kombos damn i will love to buy this.

Also the new business format, you can buy the mode you want! Arcade, Director cut or updated version. I buy alllll.

TemperaryUserNamePosted: 03/22/2014 06:30 PMStatus ::

Visits::6084

I am all for having MK2 remade so long as it's in the style Street Fighter HD Remix. There's honestly no point remaking MK2 if you're not going to add new mechanics. I won't say the game's not currently competitive, cause it definitely is, but the the first two games just aren't fun or deep enough for modern gamers. They're too restrictive for casual players, and if there are footsies in MK2, they're simplistic to a fault. Who's going to bother learning MK2's incredibly shallow footsie game in the modern era? I mean, props to Shock and James MK2 at all, but yeah, I'm not interested as it stands.

However, if you added a dash mechanic and contemporary properties to normal moves, the game would be something to marvel at. Even if the game was unbalanced, the low-tier characters could carry themselves on fundamentals, which is kinda impossible as the game is now.

New sig on the way
RiyakouPosted: 03/22/2014 06:53 PMStatus ::

Visits::5628

lol Ed Boon looks repulsed the majority of the time.

Everyone's laughing and goofing off, and he's just sitting there like, "...Eew."

KoRnKombatPosted: 03/22/2014 11:17 PMStatus ::

Visits::185

a Mortal Kombat II Directors Cut would be EPIC!

and HELL YES we still want the HD Kollection!

saiZeroPosted: 03/23/2014 06:47 AMStatus ::

TemperaryUserName Wrote:
I am all for having MK2 remade so long as it's in the style Street Fighter HD Remix. There's honestly no point remaking MK2 if you're not going to add new mechanics. I won't say the game's not currently competitive, cause it definitely is, but the the first two games just aren't fun or deep enough for modern gamers. They're too restrictive for casual players, and if there are footsies in MK2, they're simplistic to a fault. Who's going to bother learning MK2's incredibly shallow footsie game in the modern era? I mean, props to Shock and James MK2 at all, but yeah, I'm not interested as it stands.

However, if you added a dash mechanic and contemporary properties to normal moves, the game would be something to marvel at. Even if the game was unbalanced, the low-tier characters could carry themselves on fundamentals, which is kinda impossible as the game is now.

I totally agree on a sales/marketing/business perspective... but to not do a disservice to hardcore MK2 fans there should be an option to set the game play mode to classic

Tazer_GunshotPosted: 03/23/2014 11:06 AMStatus ::

Visits::572
Nationality::Canada

ShingoEX Wrote:

Ummm...what was wrong with MK2? I enjoyed everything about MK2. MK2 is the best MK of the saga. The only thing that was missing were the combos. Imagine what it would of been like?!

Someone had mentioned that the "hidden characters" should be playable with their own specials and fatalities. I say, hellz yeah!

DG1OAPosted: 03/23/2014 07:17 PMStatus ::

Visits::5405

Ideas for a few changes

Green blood for Reptile, and non-human yells/screams for Reptile and Baraka.

The ability to select the player two color for every characters. Kitana's silver outfit was so gorgeous, it truly was sad not to be able to select it. No reason they couldn't give the characters various color schemes al la Killer Instinct and Street Fighter.

Playable bosses/hidden characters, with endings and fatalities of their own.

mkdfanPosted: 03/23/2014 09:07 PMStatus ::

Visits::8539
Nationality::England

I'm sick of remakes, reboots and HD collections.
Can we please move on!

RyanSeabassPosted: 03/24/2014 02:37 AMStatus ::

Visits::54

I'd really like a rerelease of the arcade version of MK4. That's the only MK game I don't own and I'd love to be able to play it again. Never did play Gold, but I wouldn't mind if they released that instead. From what I've seen the gameplay graphics are superior in the arcade version, but the FMV endings are much better in Gold.

blacksaibotPosted: 03/24/2014 06:36 AMStatus ::

Visits::9078
Nationality::Bahamas

mkdfan Wrote:

Can we please move on!

Then go play something else that you're not sick of. Is it that hard?

hankypanky1Posted: 03/24/2014 11:27 AMStatus ::

Visits::1638
Nationality::United Kingdom

saiZero Wrote:
The cancellation of the HD remake was a huge slap in the face to MK fans.

If they remake MK2 in HD I expect all hiddens to have their own moves and bio/ending. Itd be nice to see scrapped characters as well and the inclusion of kano and sonya.

and if id really want my dreams to come true make the background characters (Masked Guard, Shaolin Monk, Shadow Priest) come to life... especially the living forest guy as seen below:

....and of course skarlet!!!!

I'd rather have Lady in Jade's Ending than this Forest guy.

GrimmPosted: 03/24/2014 01:13 PMStatus ::

Visits::12941

I'm pretty sure that's the last time you'll see Ed Boon on that specific show. It very unprofessional and you could tell he was uncomfortable for most of the time.

I really hope that he comes through on that MK2 HD some day though.

mkdfanPosted: 03/24/2014 02:19 PMStatus ::

Visits::8539
Nationality::England

blacksaibot Wrote:
mkdfan Wrote:

Can we please move on!

I'm on about the story mainly, I feel like it has barely moved forward since MKA.

saiZeroPosted: 03/24/2014 08:59 PMStatus ::

mkdfan Wrote:
blacksaibot Wrote:
mkdfan Wrote:

Can we please move on!

I'm on about the story mainly, I feel like it has barely moved forward since MKA.

Whaaaaat? MKA was a big step backwards lol... maybe not in a timeline sense but quality wise.

I think NRS was aware that they cant come up with an original and likeable storyline so thats why they went back in time. its easier to retell i guess. either that or they had ideas that needed to be completed and to do so they had to retcon tobais' awesome ideas

ShingoEXPosted: 03/25/2014 01:14 AMStatus ::

Visits::31468

Tazer_Gunshot Wrote:
ShingoEX Wrote:

Ummm...what was wrong with MK2? I enjoyed everything about MK2. MK2 is the best MK of the saga. The only thing that was missing were the combos. Imagine what it would of been like?!

Someone had mentioned that the "hidden characters" should be playable with their own specials and fatalities. I say, hellz yeah!

Roundhouse traps completely ruined MK2, especially with Reptile. He can lock most players down almost completely. Throw a force ball and block while ducking, if the opponent blocks, he takes chip damage. If he jumps, roundhouse him into the forceball, then HP, HP, acid spit. If they teleport, you'll be blocking, and that will set them up for punishment. The "duck" factors in if you're facing Kung Lao, allowing a quick uppercut if he teleports.

90% of the players I faced in both MK2 on PS3 and the MK2 on the KAK used Reptile and did this constantly. I used it for a few matches and won each time. It just became dull

saiZeroPosted: 03/25/2014 06:00 AMStatus ::

ShingoEX Wrote:
I used it for a few matches and one each time. It just became dull

one each time... lol

Page of 2

© 1998-2018 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.