Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (21.3%)
Jade (42.6%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (26.2%)
Freddy Krueger (9.8%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • December 15th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Limited Console Free Trial [Read On]
  • December 7th, 2017
    Atom Battles Black Manta in Gameplay Trailer [Read On]
  • November 28th, 2017
    Captain Marvel Almost Returned in Injustice Fighter Pack 0 [Read On]
  • November 23rd, 2017
    Mortal Kombat X Mobile - Punk Cassie Challenge [Read On]
  • November 18th, 2017
    Mortal Kombat Funko Store Signing - Sunday [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

2D Kombat Klassics

Discussing the 2D MK Klassics: Everything from the Original to Rereleases.
Page of 1

Mick-LuciferPosted: 05/02/2014 12:13 PMStatus ::
Lost Kontent: Mortal Kombat HD Behind-the-Scenes Photos

Back in March, Mortal Kombat Online took an overview of the winding Saga of Mortal Kombat HD. The ill fated project began life as a contemporary remake of the classic games, using new actors to recreate the original sprites in an HD digitized format. As revealed by an unnamed source who worked on the project: the game was shelved by Warner Brothers for internal reasons [full story].

Little has been made known or available from the aborted Mortal Kombat HD project, but thanks to make-up artist Tanea Brooks -- we've now got our most intimate look at some of the work that took place!

Evidently, sprites for Liu Kang (MKII, MK3), Kitana (MKII, MK3), Sonya Blade (MK, MK3), Kung Lao, Shao Kahn & Stryker were all given the HD test treatment. There was clearly a strong desire to match the originals as closely as possible, with several photos demonstrating comparisons with the original sprites. The actors all certainly bear strong resemblance to their classic counterparts!

Hope springs eternal for Mortal Kombat HD, with NetherRealm Studios Creative Director Ed Boon discussing the concept of "Mortal Kombat II: Director's Cut" during Giant Bomb Livestream from this year's GDC [full story].

Fuelling speculation is the shutdown of a fan-made MKHD Kommunity Edition, and the recent reveal of "Mortal Kombat 2" by 2011 Kitana/Mileena voice actress Karen Strassman. We've heard rumors of an Injustice sequel being in development. Could Mortal Kombat HD be on the slate as well?

Visit TaneaBrooks.com for the full behind-the-scenes gallery. Register to share your thoughts and speculation on the forums. Find more classic content and stories in the 2D Kombat Klassics forum!

saiZeroPosted: 05/02/2014 12:38 PMStatus ::

Visits::1198
Nationality::Germany
RE: Lost Kontent: Mortal Kombat HD Behind-the-Scenes Photos

wow just wow

Skaven13Posted: 05/02/2014 12:48 PMStatus ::

Visits::2233
Nationality::United States

I want this to be a finished product so bad. Come on WB. There's clearly some desire for this to made into reality.

skavesig
MurdoinkPosted: 05/02/2014 12:51 PMStatus ::

Visits::7954
Nationality::Chile

give me an HD remake WB, I'll buy it multiple times

johnny1upPosted: 05/02/2014 01:07 PMStatus ::

Visits::3633

I WANT THIS!!!! But if they finish it and release it (which they should because otherwise it wouldn't justify shutting down a perfectly good fan project) they should give discounts to people who bought the Arcade Collection or include it free with the next Mortal Kombat game.

hey
Noob7SmokePosted: 05/02/2014 01:40 PMStatus ::

Visits::1632
Nationality::Mexico

haha stryker.

big thanks to flameshang for the sig.
Jaded-RavenPosted: 05/02/2014 03:18 PMStatus ::

Visits::12259
Nationality::Denmark

It could have been so gooooooood...

wdm6789Posted: 05/02/2014 04:40 PMStatus ::

Visits::22

Does anyone else think that Sonya looks like the waitress?

Sub-Zero_7thPosted: 05/02/2014 07:01 PMStatus ::

Visits::19142

It would be nice if this were turned into an actual game though I'm shaking my head at Stryker. I'm so glad that NRS revamped his look for the 2011 game.

seanayPosted: 05/02/2014 10:13 PMStatus ::

Visits::9273
Nationality::United Kingdom

I'm soo angry this was not released, the MK Kollection is soo outdated and needed re doing... just doing MK2 is lazy.. why not a HD MKT with the MK1, 2 and 3 costumes

I would have loved to play this game, instead of that lazy MK port

Kabal20Posted: 05/02/2014 10:56 PMStatus ::

Visits::6204

I don't think shutting down the community made version is much of an indicator that an official game is the works. WB and the MK franchise in general have been more stricter than some other IPs/franchises when it come to fan made stuff and projects.

XBL: kabal31082, PSN: Kabal31082
Nintendo Id: kabal82, 3ds friend code: 2595-3252-2624

JAX007Posted: 05/02/2014 11:17 PMStatus ::

Visits::8581
Nationality::Canada

seanay Wrote:
I'm soo angry this was not released, the MK Kollection is soo outdated and needed re doing... just doing MK2 is lazy.. why not a HD MKT with the MK1, 2 and 3 costumes

I would have loved to play this game, instead of that lazy MK port

From the rumours, it seems the HD remake had development problems and It's probably for a good reason that it was cancelled. Looking at the leaked screenshots, it didn't look too great either.

DG1OAPosted: 05/03/2014 09:33 AMStatus ::

Visits::5273

Sonya's new actress just doesn't come close to Kerri Hoskins, though I realize these are pretty big shoes to fill. Kitana's easily the best of the bunch. Shao Kahn's new actor, like Sonya's, doesn't seem as sexy as the previous one. The others are just okay.

But really, to hell with the HD treatment. I don't see why so many are obsessed with modernizing everything. They only need to change a few things about the old games imo, like giving Baraka, Reptile and the cyborgs non-human grunts and screams, Noob Saibot black blood, and maybe change Sheeva's green blood to red, and definitely change Khameleon's blood to green.

RedSumacPosted: 05/03/2014 01:09 PMStatus ::

Visits::2302
Nationality::Russia

Looks awesome.
It is really sad, that this project was never released. Would have been awesome to play MK HD in the 21 century.

TemperaryUserNamePosted: 05/03/2014 03:16 PMStatus ::

Visits::6084

It definitely doesn't look bad, but I have to ask "why?" Other than nostalgia, why not just create 3D models? I'm not against it by any means, but if it's causing more trouble than it's worth, then take the sensible route.

And as I've said before, if they're not going to make changes to the engine, there's no point. I already have an arcade port of the old games. Updating their appearances won't add replay value.

Anyway, the fan-made Ultimate Mortal Kombat 2 patch kinda makes any sort of vanilla remake of MK2 pointless. If they're not doing an HD Remix, then I don't care.

New sig on the way
DG1OAPosted: 05/03/2014 03:29 PMStatus ::

Visits::5273

Again, I must ask: Why do so many people want HD remakes of the old games? What's wrong with just re-releasing the old games as a collection, with only small changes like the ones I suggested?

HD this, HD that, people just can't leave the classics alone, can they? Good thing this got cancelled. The gal playing Sonya is just not Kerri Hoskins.

WingsOfRedemptionPosted: 05/03/2014 03:50 PMStatus ::

Visits::4156

Some game companies just don't know what's good for them..

RedSumacPosted: 05/03/2014 06:07 PMStatus ::

Visits::2302
Nationality::Russia

DG1OA Wrote:
Again, I must ask: Why do so many people want HD remakes of the old games? What's wrong with just re-releasing the old games as a collection, with only small changes like the ones I suggested?

HD this, HD that, people just can't leave the classics alone, can they? Good thing this got cancelled. The gal playing Sonya is just not Kerri Hoskins.

For the art and for the fans, who want to see classic MK games with the new shiny coat of paint, which is impossible by the means of filters and upscaling. Besides, it awesome to see remake of the game made with obsolete technology, just for the hell of it.

hankypanky1Posted: 05/03/2014 06:35 PMStatus ::

Visits::1638
Nationality::United Kingdom

R.I.P. MK HD.

WingsOfRedemptionPosted: 05/03/2014 07:28 PMStatus ::

Visits::4156

I always thought with the technology that exists today they could make an absolutely gorgeous MK with live actors. I still think the old games are more fun than MK2011. And I am not biased, Killer Instinct on Xbox One smokes the old MK/KI games and MK2011 (opinion). They tapped into the old formula and enhanced it.

ChimeraPosted: 05/04/2014 08:21 AMStatus ::

Visits::878
Nationality::Philippines

The fan-made project was C&D while this one was canceled right? So there won't be a MK HD anytime soon?

Dennis1980Posted: 05/04/2014 12:45 PMStatus ::

Visits::131
Nationality::Netherlands

D@mn that looks good.
I am from the oldskool-MK-period and I love to see the classics revamped.
It's nice and fun and interesting to see how the old MK's would look like in this century.
Altough my opinion is that they certainly have to put in some extra's that the originals didn't have like: playable bosses and playable secret characters, all the secret arena's, and a lot of background info about the actor's and kool stuff like that.
But I would still buy it without the extra's.
WB say they didn't finish the game, then why is Kitana also acting with her Ending demo pose(seen in the extra link from that makeup artist)?mmmmmmm
Maybe the game is still in progress....
I hope...

ChimeraPosted: 05/06/2014 11:15 AMStatus ::

Visits::878
Nationality::Philippines

Stryker's belly scratch

That is all

anonymousmanPosted: 05/09/2014 06:57 PMStatus ::

Visits::0

Does anyone know the actresses names who played Sonya and Kitana?

Page of 1

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.