RoyalChakra
07/06/2014 06:18 PM (UTC)
Well most of you do hate on Scorpion, and I understand it to be honest. Ed Boon does shove him down throats, tbh.
Darkhound74
07/06/2014 06:27 PM (UTC)
RoyalChakra Wrote:
Well most of you do hate on Scorpion, and I understand it to be honest. Ed Boon does shove him down throats, tbh.

Scorpion is actually the reason I even noticed noticed Mortal Kombat in the first, but characters like Reptile and Cyrax started peaking my interest more.
DVorah
07/06/2014 06:31 PM (UTC)
The first MK game I played was MK2, I still dislike MK1, never played it much.

I liked Scorpion and Sub-Zero back then just as much as Mileena, Reptile, Kung Lao and Kitana.

But Ed Boon's obsession with Scorpion got the better of me, and many fans keep on yelling in every facebook page of MK I see for Scorpion, while the picture/subject is about D'vorah or Mileena.

Those things made me kinda dislike the character as it reminds me of Wolverine, which I hate because he's in every DAMN marvel movie out there, and alwasy takes the lead...

In the next Apocalypse movie, wolverine will destroy the movie again by becoming a horseman of apocalypse, something I really, really dislike.

I don't dislike Scorpion for being a stupid character, because he isn't. I just dislike his fans and Ed Boon for giving him ALL the credits.
Demon_0
About Me

Avatar is part of fanart created by Esau13

07/06/2014 06:31 PM (UTC)
Ed Boon shoving him down our throats should have nothing to do with us hating or loving him. I like Scorpion for his design, playstyle, and backstory. I am starting to dislike him for being a dumbass all the time and not evolving.

Having Boon & co plaster him on every cover or make him win every fight in every trailer (as annoying as this is becoming since I like SZ more) and what not is no reason for me to say, hey, he is being shoved down my throat so I will dislike him from now on.

If they continue his vendetta with SZ in the same fashion and have him be QC's puppet going forward, THEN I will say FUCK YOU SCORPION!
ReptzMK
07/06/2014 08:13 PM (UTC)
Well, I mean, Scorpion's identifiable to the vast majority of the general public. It makes sense to plaster his image all over the place and market him as MK personified, so to speak. Casual fans might not recognize someone like Kabal, Reptile, or Sonya at a glance and immediately think of Mortal Kombat. But folks see Scorpion (and SZ at this point too) and they know exactly who he is and where he's from.

Hence why he's everywhere and considered a flagship character. Plus, if I recall, Scorpion is designed to be easily accessible in terms of style and ease of use. People who are new to MK or just casual players can easily jump into MK with Scorpion and have a good time.

I think Scorpion's saturation is more the result of his ease of use and his connection to MK than with him being Boon's favorite character. smile

It's perfectly fine if you don't like Scorpion. But just understand that he'll most likely *always* be "shoved down our throats". That's just good business sense. grin
Bodisamba
About Me

https://imageshack.com/i/paeOzxf6p

07/06/2014 08:45 PM (UTC)
Scorpion, no question, you can love him or hate him but he is a terrific character
SwingBatta
07/06/2014 10:00 PM (UTC)
Demon_0 Wrote:
Ed Boon shoving him down our throats should have nothing to do with us hating or loving him. I like Scorpion for his design, playstyle, and backstory. I am starting to dislike him for being a dumbass all the time and not evolving.

Having Boon & co plaster him on every cover or make him win every fight in every trailer (as annoying as this is becoming since I like SZ more) and what not is no reason for me to say, hey, he is being shoved down my throat so I will dislike him from now on.

If they continue his vendetta with SZ in the same fashion and have him be QC's puppet going forward, THEN I will say FUCK YOU SCORPION!

I think that sums it up.
TheGil-Monster
07/06/2014 10:38 PM (UTC)
ReptzMK Wrote:
Hence why he's everywhere and considered a flagship character. Plus, if I recall, Scorpion is designed to be easily accessible in terms of style and ease of use. People who are new to MK or just casual players can easily jump into MK with Scorpion and have a good time.

I think Scorpion's saturation is more the result of his ease of use and his connection to MK than with him being Boon's favorite character. smile

It's perfectly fine if you don't like Scorpion. But just understand that he'll most likely *always* be "shoved down our throats". That's just good business sense. grin

All that, plus say "GET OVER HERE!" in a crowd. Notice how many people turn and look, and smile. smile
Jaded-Raven
07/06/2014 11:15 PM (UTC)
As someone who doesn't like Scorpion, I realize what effect he has. I know he is the front man of MK, I know he is the one MK character that is easily recognizable by the overall population, I know he will always be the one to represent the game and be the most popular character of the game. I know that and I accept that.

But I don't like him. I don't think he is worth the attention, I don't think his gameplay is all that great, nor his design and especially not his story. His overall character does not attract me. And he most likely never will - though I must say his MKX appearance is quite an improvement from the last.

I just hope, that when people ask me to accept Scorpion for what he is, they are willing to accept that there are people like me who don't like him.
Detox
About Me

You work with what you got...not what you hope for.

07/06/2014 11:51 PM (UTC)
What everyone seems to forget about Scorpion is, that for all his winning in promotional trailers, he doesn't actually win all that much. He's been manipulated by Quan Chi for as long as I can remember, got killed what seems like some 15 times in Deadly Alliance, had a flacid run as the elder god's "champion", and his luck hasn't really changed in the new timeline.

Seems like being Ed Boon's favorite really only guarantees you a spot on the roster.

My vote goes to Scorpion. Little bit of nostalgia, little bit of optimism for mkx. For better or worse Scorpion is always flashy and entertaining. Can't ask for much more than that.
ErmackDaddy
About Me

Thanks redman for the sig!

07/06/2014 11:56 PM (UTC)
I voted li mei.
How about for the next tournament we do only ninjas? It'll speed things up and we'll get the same outcome.
SwingBatta
07/06/2014 11:58 PM (UTC)
I completely understand that Scorpion (and Sub-Zero; he's not blameless here either) is shoved in our faces because it's all about business. I hate it, but that's just the way the ball bounces. Just like Batman or Superman being the faces of DC, to name an example.

A lot of us were stoked (at least I was) when we found out that Quan Chi masterminded the whole thing w/Scorp and SZ in MK4. However, Scorpion's storyline has completely gone down the shitter since then. Besides the SOS with Sub, now he's Quan Chi's bobo all of a sudden? And yet he's gotten almost all the canon endings in the series. Yawn. (It makes me all the more grateful that Ermac got his time in the sun in Deception, but I digress.)

The revenge angle was cool up till MK4; now it's just old and tired. And the first time I saw his official MK9 bio on themortalkombat.com ("Revenge is Scorpion") I rolled my eyes. It's been twenty years, for God's sake; can't NRS give him something else to do? But storytelling doesn't seem to matter to Boon as long as Scorpion continues to be his cash cow.
And yet I still voted for him because I'm not going to kid myself into thinking that Li Mei is a better character. Stuff happens.
/soapbox
Jaded-Raven
07/07/2014 12:16 AM (UTC)
Detox Wrote:
What everyone seems to forget about Scorpion is, that for all his winning in promotional trailers, he doesn't actually win all that much. He's been manipulated by Quan Chi for as long as I can remember, got killed what seems like some 15 times in Deadly Alliance, had a flacid run as the elder god's "champion", and his luck hasn't really changed in the new timeline.

Seems like being Ed Boon's favorite really only guarantees you a spot on the roster.

He's not just Boon's favourite though. As seen on the "Most Played Character" list, Scorpion is always on the top. Scorpion isn't all that, yet that doesn't prevent him from being the most popular MK character.

I can relate. My favourite characters aren't all that either, but that doesn't prevent them from being my faves.

SwingBatta Wrote:
I completely understand that Scorpion (and Sub-Zero; he's not blameless here either) is shoved in our faces because it's all about business. I hate it, but that's just the way the ball bounces. Just like Batman or Superman being the faces of DC, to name an example.

A lot of us were stoked (at least I was) when we found out that Quan Chi masterminded the whole thing w/Scorp and SZ in MK4. However, Scorpion's storyline has completely gone down the shitter since then. Besides the SOS with Sub, now he's Quan Chi's bobo all of a sudden? And yet he's gotten almost all the canon endings in the series. Yawn. (It makes me all the more grateful that Ermac got his time in the sun in Deception, but I digress.)

The revenge angle was cool up till MK4; now it's just old and tired. And the first time I saw his official MK9 bio on themortalkombat.com ("Revenge is Scorpion") I rolled my eyes. It's been twenty years, for God's sake; can't NRS give him something else to do? But storytelling doesn't seem to matter to Boon as long as Scorpion continues to be his cash cow.
/soapbox

I can only agree. I hope NRS will do something interesting with Scorpion's story in MKX.
Detox
About Me

07/07/2014 12:52 AM (UTC)
Jaded-Raven Wrote:

He's not just Boon's favourite though. As seen on the "Most Played Character" list, Scorpion is always on the top. Scorpion isn't all that, yet that doesn't prevent him from being the most popular MK character.

I can relate. My favourite characters aren't all that either, but that doesn't prevent them from being my faves.

I don't know, I just fail to see your issue I guess. I enjoy a few of the more obscure characters in MK, but it in no way rubs me wrong that Scorpion is the damned Michael Jordan of the series. Somebody's gotta be the favorite.

SwingBatta Wrote:

And yet I still voted for him because I'm not going to kid myself into thinking that Li Mei is a better character. Stuff happens.
/soapbox

That's the thing about reboots. Often times they are a step back to basics, for better or for worse. Hopefully he went back to that place of rage and revenge to get to a better place in MKX.
Jaded-Raven
07/07/2014 12:56 AM (UTC)
Detox Wrote:
Jaded-Raven Wrote:

I don't know, I just fail to see your issue I guess. I enjoy a few of the more obscure characters in MK, but it in no way rubs me wrong that Scorpion is the damned Michael Jordan of the series. Somebody's gotta be the favorite.

I think you misunderstand. It was a response to your "Being Boon's fave is enough to be in the roster" comment. I was just pointing out that he is not just Boon's fave.
Detox
About Me

07/07/2014 01:02 AM (UTC)
Jaded-Raven Wrote:
Detox Wrote:
Jaded-Raven Wrote:

I think you misunderstand. It was a response to your "Being Boon's fave is enough to be in the roster" comment. I was just pointing out that he is not just Boon's fave.

Ah! Noted.smile
Tazer_Gunshot
07/07/2014 02:25 AM (UTC)
I voted Li Mei because she is a cool character. Scorpion is ok, but, liked by many.

Cannot wait for the next voting! Tanya will definetly triumph over Kitana. Please just throw in the towel for Kitana and give Tanya the victory!
Jaded-Raven
07/07/2014 02:35 AM (UTC)
Tazer_Gunshot Wrote:
I voted Li Mei because she is a cool character. Scorpion is ok, but, liked by many.

Cannot wait for the next voting! Tanya will definetly triumph over Kitana. Please just throw in the towel for Kitana and give Tanya the victory!

As much as I want Tanya to win, I think Kitana is going to beat Tanya. Kitana has more fans (pun intended) on this site than Tanya does.
SwingBatta
07/07/2014 03:02 AM (UTC)
Okay, I'll open up a fresh can of worms by asking: Just what on earth is so great about Tanya anyway?
Demon_0
About Me

Avatar is part of fanart created by Esau13

07/07/2014 03:04 AM (UTC)
I am wondering that very same thing
Darkhound74
07/07/2014 03:06 AM (UTC)
SwingBatta Wrote:
Okay, I'll open up a fresh can of worms by asking: Just what on earth is so great about Tanya anyway?

She's treacherous!!!!............yeah that's all I got.
Quanchi9
About Me

why

07/07/2014 03:12 AM (UTC)
Appearently my comment stating my opinion on this match started a whole argument.. sad

I don't like starting those..
Jaded-Raven
07/07/2014 03:18 AM (UTC)
SwingBatta Wrote:

Well, this is my opinion on Tanya, taken from the Tanya thread:

Jaded-Raven Wrote:
I liked her since MK4. The one thing that really caught my attention was the fact that she had the Cannon Drill move like one of my other favourite characters, Cammy from Street Fighter. :P

But she also had a sense of sex appeal that hasn't been seen in MK before. Just that she makes kissy lips in her bio when spinning around like that, it gave her personality! Since then, I've always seen her as a seductive and treachorous vixen.

Her pose in the MKD render kinda strengthened that. She looks sexy and dark in that render, and her outfit was amazing! And in her bio she was in Edenia to find some ancient magic for Onaga so he could fuse the kamidogus, which gave me the impression of her having knowledge and maybe even studying alot of magical arts. And since then, I've also seen her as more of a sorceress type of character. That her special moves revolved around fire, her kicks even being aflame and that she got the "Find Me" move where she turned invincible kinda backed that up.

And though non-canon, her MKA ending where she gains the power to summon great dragon spirits "from the ether and into corporeal form" also strengthened the image of her being a sorceress.

Not to mention that her weapon style in MKD-MKA is one of my favourite ones, if not my number one favourite!

She might be a forgetable character to many, but she made an impression on me, enough to make her one of my favourite characters. Storywise, she doesn't have all that much going on for her, like most of the MK characters post-MK3, but I see a potential in her and I hope NRS does as well. ^^
legoslayer10
07/07/2014 04:02 AM (UTC)
Voted Li Mei cause boobs.

Also, I won't be voting any more this week, since I'll be in a retreat where we have no web access.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
07/07/2014 05:24 AM (UTC)

Tanya - daughter to an Edenian ambassador, she proved the realm's ultimate betrayer when she welcomed the fallen Elder God Shinnok. Kitana - rightful heir to the Edenian throne, she proved the realm's greatest champion when she turned against The Emperor Shao Kahn. One frees Edenia from bondage - the other damns it to burn. It's a Round 2 grudge match! Who's next? Choose their destiny!... FIGHT!

Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.