Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (23.5%)
Jade (41.1%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (26.4%)
Freddy Krueger (8.8%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • January 5th, 2018
    Enchantress Takes Control in Injustice 2 Trailer [Read On]
  • January 4th, 2018
    Great Big Story Spotlight Voice of Shao Kahn: Steve Ritchie [Read On]
  • December 22nd, 2017
    When The Disaster Artist Met Mortal Kombat [Read On]
  • December 20th, 2017
    MKX Mobile 2017 Holiday Bonuses & Updates [Read On]
  • December 15th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Limited Console Free Trial [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat X

Discussing Mortal Kombat X and all things Kontemporary to it.
Page of 6

Mick-LuciferPosted: 07/29/2014 11:45 AMStatus ::
Reintroducing Sub-Zero - Mortal Kombat X Loading Render

We first saw the image during Mortal Kombat X demo coverage from E3, but it's been a curious omission from subsequent media releases. Now by popular demand - take a closer look at the latest iteration of the ice cold warrior: Sub-Zero!

The identity of this version of Sub-Zero has drawn considerable speculation since E3. The source of uncertainty stems from the twists and turns of the previous game, and the announced 25 year continuing timespan of Mortal Kombat X. The "introduction" loading screen image offers no further clues than what you can see.

Creative Director Ed Boon touched upon the subject of identity during E3, describing the availability of options: "The thing about Sub-Zero is that there have been many Sub-Zeroes over the years. So the Sub-Zero that you see can be anybody because the Lin Kuei has a sea of Sub-Zeroes." He told Gamespot Sub-Zero will be revealed during the games' story mode.

Mortal Kombat's ice wielding mascot has undergone many changes throughout his 20+ year history. The identity of the blue garbed fighter was a milestone bombshell for Mortal Kombat II, where in-game endings revealed the mantle had passed to the original's younger brother after his death in the first game. That warrior was christened Kuai Liang in the last game -- putting a given name to the most iconic incarnation of the character. The same game twisted the original story to transform him into a Lin Kuei cyborg, before he was killed and placed under the control of nemesis necromancer: Quan Chi.

Got your own Sub-Zero theories? Register to join the conversation in the Mortal Kombat X forum!

CasselmanPosted: 07/28/2014 06:01 PMStatus ::

Visits::8484
Nationality::Canada
New Subzero Render

Here

This is the first time I noticed that The Grandmaster Medallion is completely gone. Makes me wonder. He might attain it during Story Mode. I thought the Lin Kuei symbol was what changed with the variation. Hmm

photo Casselman-4_zpsurigoehb.gif
Twitter~Facebook~Youtube~~~~~PSN: Casselman/LockUpYourBones
Dragon Points:
ZwullePosted: 07/28/2014 06:05 PMStatus ::

Visits::274
Nationality::Netherlands
RE: New Subzero Render

Nice one!

I also don't see the scar. Who will it be? I guess the all new Sub-Zero theory is still going strong!

When you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground.
IcebabyPosted: 07/28/2014 06:11 PMStatus ::

Visits::11647
Nationality::United States

Just asking out of curiosity... where was he wearing the medallion? I've never seen any images of him wearing the medallion. And he never had any scars on his face either.

But snagging this picture for my facebook banner.

xysionPosted: 07/28/2014 06:15 PMStatus ::

Visits::260
Nationality::Italy

That render is the image from the loading screen we saw at E3. Looks like Sub-Zero is more serious this time with the amount of shivs on his arm. He has a more ominous presence to him.

Lazio? La prima squadra della Capitale.
CasselmanPosted: 07/28/2014 06:18 PMStatus ::

Icebaby Wrote:
Just asking out of curiosity... where was he wearing the medallion? I've never seen any images of him wearing the medallion. And he never had any scars on his face either.

But snagging this picture for my facebook banner.

Gameplay trailer. His right side, our left while looking. Only with "grandmaster" variation.

here at 0:35

RazorsEdge701Posted: 07/28/2014 06:20 PMStatus ::

Visits::20795

His baseline costume always had only one Lin Kuei badge.

The Grandmaster variation adds a second badge, which glows to draw attention to itself (like how his Cryomancer variation gives him glowing blue arms and his Unbreakable variation gives him a glowing mask made of ice) but the symbol on the Grandmaster badge isn't a dragon eating its tail like the Dragon Medallion from MKDA had, it's another Lin Kuei logo.

DjangoDragPosted: 07/28/2014 06:24 PMStatus ::

Visits::1580

It really looks like we're getting a brand new Sub-Zero. Psyched.

Tazer_GunshotPosted: 07/28/2014 06:26 PMStatus ::

Visits::572

Great render!

I'm thinking he is a new Sub-Zero, but, we will know more of who it is through story mode.

Ermac's (hoping to be) new design is way better! It will be the "sickest" design of all returning characters.

RazorsEdge701Posted: 07/28/2014 06:29 PMStatus ::

There's really no evidence one way or another that yet proves this can or can't be Bi-Han, Kuai Liang, or a new guy...except for the fact that in previous canon, there were no other Sub-Zeros, Bi-Han or Kuai would have to have a son and they were both single when they died...so they'd have to retcon stuff to have a third guy, and retcons have historically always made the story worse...or they could have MORE THAN ONE Sub-Zero in the game by having one of them come back from the dead to have a son from Cassie Cage's era.

I feel like the "more than one guy named Sub-Zero appears in the same game" possibility is fairly likely since it's not like it's never happened before, but has been ignored by everyone so far.

Demon_0Posted: 07/28/2014 06:32 PMStatus ::

Visits::4663
Nationality::Afghanistan

I think Sub-Zero never looked better. This is his best design yet. I liked his design in MK9 but wasn't a fan of the MKDA/MKvsDC mask returning. I especially love how his new mask is black for the most part. Also glad he has glowing eyes.

Avatar is part of fanart created by Esau13
0RI0NPosted: 07/28/2014 06:41 PMStatus ::

Visits::255

Why does he need daggers on his arms and belt? Makes no sense. But he looks awesome!

Mad Props to MINION, The SIG Sovereign!
IcebabyPosted: 07/28/2014 06:47 PMStatus ::

0RI0N Wrote:
Why does he need daggers on his arms and belt? Makes no sense. But he looks awesome!

I like that he has that, it's the small, minuscule things that makes it look more detailed and really great looking. It's only for show basically.

Tazer_GunshotPosted: 07/28/2014 07:00 PMStatus ::

Visits::572

RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
There's really no evidence one way or another that yet proves this can or can't be Bi-Han, Kuai Liang, or a new guy...except for the fact that in previous canon, there were no other Sub-Zeros, Bi-Han or Kuai would have to have a son and they were both single when they died...so they'd have to retcon stuff to have a third guy, and retcons have historically always made the story worse...or they could have MORE THAN ONE Sub-Zero in the game by having one of them come back from the dead to have a son from Cassie Cage's era.

I feel like the "more than one guy named Sub-Zero appears in the same game" possibility is fairly likely since it's not like it's never happened before, but has been ignored by everyone so far.

Lin Kuei is a clan which consists of more than two members. So a third member could of became a new Sub-Zero by showing his superior-ism and gained the ice powers.
Since Sub-Zero has a huge fan base, they could of brought a new one in, instead of Frost.

I'm not saying Frost doesn't have a chance to return though. If they could do it in MKDA, I don't see why they can't do it in MKX.

ProfesserAhnkaPosted: 07/28/2014 07:17 PMStatus ::

Visits::6174

Nice

Leader Of Rain's Minions & Tanya's Titans. Thx Minion!  photo ProfesserAhnkaSig_zpsoi5spq99.gif
xysionPosted: 07/28/2014 07:21 PMStatus ::

Tazer_Gunshot Wrote:
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:

Lin Kuei is a clan which consists of more than two members. So a third member could of became a new Sub-Zero by showing his superior-ism and gained the ice powers.

Since Sub-Zero has a huge fan base, they could of brought a new one in, instead of Frost.

I'm not saying Frost doesn't have a chance to return though. If they could do it in MKDA, I don't see why they can't do it in MKX.

The ice powers are not gained. They are inherent to the species of Cryomancers of which both Sub-Zero brothers and Frost are part of.

unleash_your_toungePosted: 07/28/2014 07:37 PMStatus ::

Visits::5818

Lovin' the render. Sub's costume this time around is probably my 2nd favorite design of his. (Deception main being the favorite)

Very, very curious on who this one is and his relevance.

"Life, for all it's anguish, is ours Miss Ives. It belongs to no other." - Ferdinand Lyle
Rockchalk5477Posted: 07/28/2014 07:52 PMStatus ::

Visits::12960

Nice render. I really like this design.

As for his identity, I've seen a few theories floating around:
1.) Kuai Liang, resurrected. He never received the scar in MK9, so its absence here does not eliminate him.
2.) Bi-Han, resurrected. Sincerely, though, I hope not. He's better as Noob.
3.) A fusion of the brothers. Again, I hope not.
4.) Shao Kahn in Sub-Zero's body No. It's clear, based on his intros with Scorpion, he talks like a member of the Lin Kuei.
5.) An entirely new Sub-Zero; either a child or distant relative.
6.) Sub-Zero IV, their father. My only qualm with this is that the Mythologies backstory said the father died, and Bi-Han took the title. Plus, this Sub-Zero looks much too young.

With the Sub-Zero bros. and Frost, clearly there were at least two Cryomancers that immigrated to Earth. Thus, as I'm sure more than two Cryomancers escaped Outworld and procreated with Earthrealmers, it's fair to say that there may be a few more descendants across the globe.

Perhaps, within the 25 years following MK9, the Lin Kuei found/hired a new guy (that is, if Kuai/Bi-Han didn't get busy after (potentially) being resurrected.)

Wasn't it said somewhere that Cryomancer powers onset during early adulthood (i.e. late teens, as Frost was still very inexperienced...?) He is clearly Lin Kuei based on his speech and his uniform, and he seems to have excellent mastery over his powers (which take years to hone.)
I just don't know.

Regardless, I'm getting the feeling that option 5 is the most likely, based on the furtiveness of Ed & co.

RazorsEdge701Posted: 07/28/2014 07:55 PMStatus ::

Yeah, ice powers aren't a whole Lin Kuei clan thing, they're a genetic thing that run in the Sub-Zero family.

So is the name "Sub-Zero".

The fact that Bi-Han is called Sub-Zero means that his dad, the only Lin Kuei member who had ice powers before him, who was also called Sub-Zero, is dead, making him the new Sub-Zero. When Bi-Han dies, then Kuai gets the name Sub-Zero. That's how it works, it's an inheritence. The Sub-Zeros have been in the Lin Kuei for 5 generations, but they're the only Lin Kuei with those powers. Sektor can't do ice, Smoke can't do ice, Cyrax can't do ice, the Grandmaster can't do ice, you see where I'm going with this?

Both Bi-Han and Kuai died without any heirs. We know neither one had kids because in Deadly Alliance (which is set TEN YEARS after MK1 thru 3), when Kuai Liang specifically goes looking for a protege to pass his shit onto, he DOESN'T have a son or nephew or ANY biological family with ice powers to train, he instead finds Frost, who he's NOT related to, who he's NEVER MET BEFORE, and the game specifically says that his reaction to discovering her is basically "What the hell, I didn't know there was anyone else on Earth with powers like mine, where did she come from? I need to find out more about this" and that's why finding out that he and Frost are the last descendants of an Outworld race called the Cryomancers in Deception was a revelation to him. Because he thought his family was one of a kind, he'd never met anyone else with ice powers outside his own family before Deadly Alliance. The Lin Kuei never had other ice guys.

Now, maybe there are more Cryomancers on Earth that Kuai never met because they're in hiding or out in other countries not using their powers so no one knows they exist.

But none of them were in the Lin Kuei, or he would have met them, wouldn't he? And the ONE thing we know about this Sub-Zero in MKX is he's a Lin Kuei member. (Which raises other questions about what the fuck happened to the Cyber Initiative or Sektor taking over the clan because this guy's clearly not a robot, but that's a discussion for another time.)

The whole "25 years in the future" thing does give them plenty of leeway to recruit new dudes though. This guy could be Frost's son for all we know. That would retcon Frost a little, since she was supposed to be pretty young in Deadly Alliance, so any kid of her's should be like a teenager at most...but it seems like the attitude of both NRS and the fandom at large is "fuck continuity and fuck making sense" these days, so maybe I'm the one who's in the wrong for bothering to talk about whether or not inventing a new Sub-Zero even fits into the existing lore, or that retcons would be bad...

IcebabyPosted: 07/28/2014 08:03 PMStatus ::

I'm just going to say this and hopefully never have anyone speak about this ever again:

No to the whole Shao Kahn being in Sub-Zero's body, whether we know this at first hand or find out in an arcade/story mode ending.

There is no reason why he needs to be brought back in this character, and it's not me being the huge fan of his speaking. It's me being tired of Kahn roaming around and needs to sit out for a bit. So please, no one think that's a plausible theory that could happen in this because no.

0RI0NPosted: 07/28/2014 08:32 PMStatus ::

Visits::255

I thought I remembered around the MK2 release that our 2 SubZeros were actually the 7th & 8th SubZeros? So I went to Wikipedia, but didn't read anything about that. However, it does say that he has a sister in America. But this is obviously from the old timeline becuz it says Midway and not NetherRealm. Here is the paragraph...

"Aside from Sub-Zero's unmasked appearance in his Mortal Kombat II ending and his portrayal in Mortal Kombat: Legacy, the character has primarily been portrayed or voiced by non-Asian actors.[36] Midway later explained Sub-Zero's rather occidental appearance for a Chinese assassin by giving him a Caucasian mother. According to this new backstory, his father had a wife, two sons, and a daughter while he lived in America to hide his personal role as an assassin for the Lin Kuei.[37]"

Mad Props to MINION, The SIG Sovereign!
xysionPosted: 07/28/2014 08:35 PMStatus ::

At 18:25 in this video Ed Boon is specifically asked "Who is Sub-Zero?" and Ed says that that Sub-Zero is one of many Sub-Zero's and there have been Sub-Zero's that died and some that have come back.

In this interview Ed Boon is asked who is Sub-Zero and Ed says that the Lin Kuei have a "sea of Sub-Zero's".

The implication is that Bi-Han and Kuai Liang are not the only cryomancers in the ranks of the Lin Kuei.

RazorsEdge701Posted: 07/28/2014 08:36 PMStatus ::

0RI0N Wrote:
I thought I remembered around the MK2 release that our 2 SubZeros were actually the 7th & 8th SubZeros?

Not quite.

Mythologies said their dad was "fourth generation", which would make Bi-Han and Kuai Liang Sub-Zero 5 and 6.

xysion Wrote:
The implication is that Bi-Han and Kuai Liang are not the only cryomancers in the ranks of the Lin Kuei.

Yeah, there have been a "sea" of Sub-Zeros in the Lin Kuei over the course of HISTORY.

Ed was being WAY too vague to take those statements to mean anything specific about whether or not the Sub family has more members that we didn't hear about in the old games.

He COULD mean that the Sub in this game will be Bi-Han or Kuai back from the dead. He COULD mean that one of them has a son. He COULD mean that their dad is still alive and is the Sub in this game. Again, there's no ACTUAL proof, ONLY vagueness and speculation, that the Sub-Zero in this game is or isn't Bi-Han, Kuai Liang, or a new guy, or where that new guy came from if it is.

DarkenedSoulPosted: 07/28/2014 08:37 PMStatus ::

Visits::27

Icebaby Wrote:
I'm just going to say this and hopefully never have anyone speak about this ever again:

No to the whole Shao Kahn being in Sub-Zero's body, whether we know this at first hand or find out in an arcade/story mode ending.

There is no reason why he needs to be brought back in this character, and it's not me being the huge fan of his speaking. It's me being tired of Kahn roaming around and needs to sit out for a bit. So please, no one think that's a plausible theory that could happen in this because no.

I agree with you Icebaby.

However, I say Shao Kahn is Kotal or more so Torr.

CasselmanPosted: 07/28/2014 08:38 PMStatus ::

RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
0RI0N Wrote:
I thought I remembered around the MK2 release that our 2 SubZeros were actually the 7th & 8th SubZeros?

Not quite.

Mythologies said their dad was "fourth generation", which would make Bi-Han and Kuai Liang Sub-Zero 5 and 6.

Not that I doubt you but where exactly? I just played through MKM and never came across any of that info. I guess I'm putting it back in...

DarkenedSoul Wrote:
Icebaby Wrote:

I agree with you Icebaby.

However, I say Shao Kahn is Kotal or more so Torr.

I have been thinking. What would be a more fitting punishment for Shao Kahn than to be Torr? Punished for his actions that would have realms enslaved/merged only to be enslaved himself? A rather appropriate punishment. Perhaps it would also explain "queen/silver queen" being on Ferra's crown. Just a random thought.

Page of 6

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.