Character Concepts: Updated With Sonya Blade And Skarlet
posted09/27/2014 03:58 AM (UTC)by
Icebaby
I'm going to keep updating this thread every now and then with rough concepts of random characters with new costumes (and a story with it as well), take notes on what to improve, add/subject anything before drawing a more detailed version of it. These are just rough drafts, but please comment! Of course, I will submit the final version of them later on, as soon as I'm done working on the drafts of everyone.

Please click on the avatars to see the picture

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Zero

Concept

This is Kuai Liang, this has nothing to do with Mortal Kombat X, but it does take place AFTER the events of 2011.

A story that I have is that he successfully found a way to reverse the cyborg stuff and went back to his human ways. However, removing majority of the metal pieces left him badly scarred thus why he has skin transplants. His cyborg body also enhanced his powers, and after losing the cyborg body, his powers fell weakened. With the help from outside sources, they rebuilt some enhancements and placed it into his arms that granted him more power to his cryomancy.

Of course, the story is a work in progress obviously.

Colored Version

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Story goes, after his resurrection from the Tekunin (the Lin Kuei now under Sektor's rule), they've tried to reprogram him back to being on their side. However, Jax's tampering caused permanent damage to his circuits, he can no longer take Sektor's orders.

Sektor was going to finish him off for good, but Sub-Zero managed to fight back, winning the match, and leaving for good. He was a lost cause, or so he thought. That was until Cassie Cage found him and brought him back to the Special Forces Headquaters. Sub-Zero explained that he was tired of being a cyborg, that it didn't quite fit him. Sonya had mentioned that they have an experiment that they tested once that could reverse the cyborg process.

Sub-Zero went through with it, and it brought back his humanity. He had to have surgery to remove all of the metal pieces covering his body. However, majority of them were intact to his skin, so he underwent various skin transplant surgeries to look human again. The power of his cyborg suit had managed to enhance his cryomancy powers, and with it gone, his powers are virtually drained. He demands to have some of his cybernetic parts be back on him to increase his strength and enhance his powers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frost

Rough Draft

I decided to give her a completely different look, making her to where she doesn't look like she's associated with the Lin Kuei (obviously I give my reason why in the story I gave her below). So I gave her more of an assassin look because I wanted her to be this stealthy person who hides in the shadows because the Automated cyborgs are still hunting her down and such. So why not make her different?

Final Draft Not Done

Story:

I was thinking more down the line that she WAS in the Lin Kuei (and not Sub-Zero's newly reformed Lin Kuei). She was one of the last human survivors that tried to escape the Automation Program, which has now been known as the Tekunin since Sektor is still Grandmaster of the clan and transformed the cyborgs into his army. She successfully escapes and later befriends an old man who promises to help her along the way. (And of course, we'll see that old man later)
D'Vorah

About this picture. I decided to sketch a detailed picture instead of working on some character concepts. For some reason, this character sticks out a lot after seeing what she does with her bugs. I really think it's gross, but cool looking that she licks her own bugs. Yeah, I tried capturing that with her in this picture.

I also thought having her sit on a bunch of skulls with several worms coming out of them would be a nice touch as well since well, Hellfire Peninsula gave me the inspiration to do that. (There's a long road in this area in World of Warcraft where you're literally walking on millions of skulls of the inhabitants of Outworld)

Also, Coldworm the Burrower gave me the inspiration to draw that giant bug she's leaning against.

As of right now, I'm thinking about coloring this in Photoshop, but before I put in the final details (a.k.a. the black marker), I thought I could get some feedback first... That is if you can sorta make out what's going on here despite that it's very bright.

Nightwolf

Final draf

Such an underrated character, he is totally a freaking badass in the series and could have shown so much... But of course, he's not THAT popular. So I decided to do something about his appearance because I just don't think he's ever had a look that totally screams "Nightwolf." Granted that his secondary costume in 2011 somewhat screamed that, it was still his secondary outfit. Although I totally give them props for giving him THE voice that made this character.

I decided to give him his wolf head that he had in the second costume but made it more conquering than just what it was. I also darkened his skin because I wanted to represent that he's technically dead (I mean he really is dead) and that the Netherrealm conquered his soul to turn him somewhat twisted. So he's a twisted undead shaman. Yeah, that's a character I definitely would LOVE to play as.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Story:

After sacrificing himself to destroy Sindel, his soul ventured to the Netherrealm to become a slave to Quan Chi's army. His soul has done terrible things, as invading Earthrealm and murdering innocent people for Shinnok's plan to come to life. Quan Chi saw the true power Nightwolf has and made him a powerful soldier, granting strength to the soldiers with his shamanistic powers he still possess. He, and his resurrected ancestors are now powerful enough to be used to destroy anything that comes towards the Netherrealm.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mileena

Concept #1

I wanted to give her a brand new look, something that wouldn't necessary make her look so gosh darn over sexualized whatsoever (oh the humanity!). So I decided to give her a look that's similar towards Valeera Sanguinar from World of Warcraft. But for some reason I just didn't really appreciate what I did here as much as I wanted to, but I still wanted to show it off just because.

Concept #2

This version for Mileena is one I appreciated a lot more than what I did before. I decided to give her a cape, but kind of made her wear less-detailed armor (believe me when I say, that was extremely hard to do). I wanted to give her more of an assassin-like outfit, because THAT'S WHO SHE WAS DURING HER DEBUT!!! They totally ventured away from the assassin look just to make her be the pop-up girl for Mortal Kombat. I decided to venture back to her assassin look just because.

Story:

After the death of Shao Kahn, a war for the emperor's fallen title spilled out. The victor was an unknown brute name Kotal Kahn. His first rule as emperor was to kill Mileena, since she was technically the next kin to take over. He believed she was too immature to be an empress for such a brutal realm.

Running for her life after the Tarkatan army showed their true colors towards her, she managed to successfully escape her execution. Now she aims to take back what's rightfully hers by succumbing to her assassin roots.

Goro

Finally I finished working on all the issues I had with this design.

I gave him a Garrosh Hellscream-like armor set because I thought it would definite suite him well. I mean, he was such an intimidating foe at the very beginning and slowly lost that intimidation along the way. (Well, at least for me that is) So I wanted to give him more of that intimidation back by giving him something that would make you kinda be a little afraid of battling him.

I would definitely recommend actually keeping that giant axe to have him use in the fight.

Story -

So with Kotal taking control of Outworld, he decided to plead his allegiance for him and became the second in command. He and the other Shokans invade Earthrealm but become apart in a civil war with the other Shokans that sided with Sheeva (who still resides in Australia hardy-har har) Will he conquer the turned Shokans or will they succumb to defeat?

Sonya Blade

First off, let me begin by saying I am not a fan of this character. I don't think I ever really have been a fan of her at all during the series. (Mostly because she is quite the confusing character to be representing the military and having fatalities that literally do not make sense as to how they work at all, seriously... her split fatality does not work no matter how you explain it to me) Anyways, I decided to give this character a chance to be worked on and I decided to give her a Big Mama look from Metal Gear Solid 4. Since Boon explained to us fans that the characters will be aging, I thought this look would make perfect sense to her.

I do not have a story for her at the time, I apologize.
Skarlet

I actually liked this character (minus the random outfit they gave her) when she debuted in 2011 so I thought I would give her my own spin with her. I gave her an all black (with some red) one suit to give her more of a ninja-like appearance and I decided to put her hair up in a bun. Her mask will also be red as well so that there is more red to her than just black. For some reason I just think that if there's more black and some red added, it stands out a bit more and looks sharper.

Story:
Shao Kahn was her master, obeyed every command he shouted out to her. Now with him gone, she becomes a mindless, lost little soul. She slowly started to think on her own for a bit, trying to understand this ability. But it was quickly taken away from her after Quan Chi began to use his magic to control her once he began to take control of Kahn's creations. Now she is what she was once before, a killing slave. Will she be able to find a way to become free, or will she always stay as an obeying dog?
EmperorKahn
08/05/2014 02:16 AM (UTC)
I like the concept art and like how some of the cyborg pieces are still incorporated into the drawing. The skin parts on sub zer, are they flesh pieces such as skin graphs or are they like jack 6 from tekken where the skin is metallic but painted to look like skin. The only thing that looks uncomfortable about the costume is the bands around his legs. It looks too tight. Other than that it is a really nice concept drawing!
Icebaby
08/05/2014 02:37 AM (UTC)
EmperorKahn Wrote:
I like the concept art and like how some of the cyborg pieces are still incorporated into the drawing. The skin parts on sub zer, are they flesh pieces such as skin graphs or are they like jack 6 from tekken where the skin is metallic but painted to look like skin. The only thing that looks uncomfortable about the costume is the bands around his legs. It looks too tight. Other than that it is a really nice concept drawing!

Thanks for the feedback! I wanted him to keep a cyborg-ish feel still, but keeping in mind that he's human.

To answer your question, they're skin grafts on him. And yeah, his shin pads wrapped do look uncomfortable I really agree on that, I think I was trying too hard to show the details.
Jaded-Raven
08/05/2014 11:47 AM (UTC)
I am really not a fan of the icicle design on his V-vest, as they remind me of the flame design on Scorpion's MK9 main outfit.

All the rest look pretty damn cool though! Well done. ^^
Icebaby
08/05/2014 06:14 PM (UTC)
Jaded-Raven Wrote:
I am really not a fan of the icicle design on his V-vest, as they remind me of the flame design on Scorpion's MK9 main outfit.

All the rest look pretty damn cool though! Well done. ^^

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, I guess the design does closely resemble Scorpion's vest design. tongue

I've updated the first post with Frost and her new story. I am currently working on three other characters and will shortly update them as well!
unleash_your_tounge
About Me

"Life, for all it's anguish, is ours Miss Ives. It belongs to no other." - Ferdinand Lyle

08/05/2014 10:44 PM (UTC)
Jaded-Raven Wrote:

That was my first thought. Hence I was going to ask if you planned on coloring these?

The designs themselves are great. I way dig this look for Frost, it's a big step out of Sub's shadow.

Favorite thing about Sub is his knees/shin guards.

Like Frost 100% but my favorite thing about her is the "slickey dickey".

Great concepts! Keep 'em comin'! smile
Icebaby
08/06/2014 01:36 AM (UTC)
unleash_your_tounge Wrote:
Jaded-Raven Wrote:

That was my first thought. Hence I was going to ask if you planned on coloring these?

The designs themselves are great. I way dig this look for Frost, it's a big step out of Sub's shadow.

Favorite thing about Sub is his knees/shin guards.

Like Frost 100% but my favorite thing about her is the "slickey dickey".

Great concepts! Keep 'em comin'! smile

I'll color the final pictures, as of right now I'm somewhat starting with Sub-Zero's. And I'll be changing the design of his vest. I guess you could say it was more of a placeholder design?

But thank you for the feed back! And thanks for appreciating what I did to Frost, totally wanted to ditch the whole Lin Kuei/Sub-Zero look. I'll be updating this soon with Reptile.
unleash_your_tounge
About Me

"Life, for all it's anguish, is ours Miss Ives. It belongs to no other." - Ferdinand Lyle

08/06/2014 08:38 PM (UTC)
Icebaby Wrote:
I'll be updating this soon with Reptile.

Can't wait! I'm actually working on a Reptile piece atm, too.
Icebaby
08/07/2014 02:06 AM (UTC)
Okay, so I updated the original post with the colored version and the story along with it. I want it to look cartoony (I'm not so fancy with coloring).

I believe I made his legs too long. I also added the color of what his second player character would look like on his kneepads and belt.

I might do another one... just because those legs are irritating the crap out of me.
EmperorKahn
08/07/2014 07:56 AM (UTC)
Icebaby Wrote:
Okay, so I updated the original post with the colored version and the story along with it. I want it to look cartoony (I'm not so fancy with coloring).

I believe I made his legs too long. I also added the color of what his second player character would look like on his kneepads and belt.

I might do another one... just because those legs are irritating the crap out of me.

The colored version looks really nice! I think the legs look fine, but maybe they look long because he is slightly hunched in a ready pose? It might be the size of the belt buckle too, that makes his upper torso seem short in proportion to his legs. The bands around his legs also look alot more comfortable on him then it did before. Keep it up! I'm looking forward to more of your designs!
Jaded-Raven
08/07/2014 09:06 AM (UTC)
The colours need to be cleaned up a bit (the white lines between the colour and the black outline), but other than that, I quite like your Sub-Zero art. I like that there's a bit from all version of him, even the cyborg version. Would be cool to see this as an alternate outfit in the game. ^^
What program do you use to colour in?
Icebaby
08/07/2014 02:20 PM (UTC)
EmperorKahn Wrote:
The colored version looks really nice! I think the legs look fine, but maybe they look long because he is slightly hunched in a ready pose? It might be the size of the belt buckle too, that makes his upper torso seem short in proportion to his legs. The bands around his legs also look alot more comfortable on him then it did before. Keep it up! I'm looking forward to more of your designs!

Ahh, thank you very much!!! The bands over his legs are more comfortable than blood restricting tongue I guess if I'm not looking at a direct post and just go off from my head, it'll bug me if I think something's not right, after all, this is all self-taught art.

There's more on the way because I'm currently working on Frost now!

Jaded-Raven Wrote:
The colours need to be cleaned up a bit (the white lines between the colour and the black outline), but other than that, I quite like your Sub-Zero art. I like that there's a bit from all version of him, even the cyborg version. Would be cool to see this as an alternate outfit in the game. ^^

What program do you use to colour in?

Yeah, as soon as you mention that I spotted it, I might continue to do some cleaning with it.

I'm glad you see the various outfits I combined to get this. Thank you very much!!!

I use Photoshop CS6 by the way.

unleash_your_tounge
About Me

08/08/2014 11:43 PM (UTC)
Awesome, the coloring job looks great. The cyber-leftovers are a great touch and really stand out with the coloring. I like the new vest, it's simple yet effective. The legs are a tad long but as said, it could pass as a perspective thing. The hunch would certainly add some depth. I also like the improved shoes/boots.

Oh and the scar is fantastic.

Great job!
Icebaby
08/09/2014 12:09 AM (UTC)
unleash_your_tounge Wrote:
Awesome, the coloring job looks great. The cyber-leftovers are a great touch and really stand out with the coloring. I like the new vest, it's simple yet effective. The legs are a tad long but as said, it could pass as a perspective thing. The hunch would certainly add some depth. I also like the improved shoes/boots.

Oh and the scar is fantastic.

Great job!

Thank you very much!!!

I couldn't figure out what design I wanted to do with the v-vest, so I decided just to go with a simpler look. I mean, I always try to add as much details as I can if necessary, unfortunately, it just didn't work this time.

But thanks again smile
Icebaby
08/13/2014 05:19 AM (UTC)
I have updated the original post with a new piece I did with D'Vorah.
Icebaby
09/25/2014 09:38 PM (UTC)
New pieces of art!

Check them out!

Also for more art, please check out my Deviantart
LordSkarlet
09/26/2014 04:50 AM (UTC)
Great art Icebaby keep up the good work. Very interesting concepts.
Icebaby
09/26/2014 04:11 PM (UTC)
LordSkarlet Wrote:
Great art Icebaby keep up the good work. Very interesting concepts.

Thank you for the feedback! I have Sonya and Skarlet coming up next to show off!
Icebaby
09/26/2014 06:38 PM (UTC)
Updated with Skarlet and Sonya Blade!
Jaded-Raven
09/26/2014 10:04 PM (UTC)
You've made some really cool concepts, Ice. There's definately some potential in here. Keep up the good work. ^^
LordSkarlet
09/27/2014 02:27 AM (UTC)
Icebaby Wrote:
Updated with Skarlet and Sonya Blade!

I like the new ideas for Sonya & Skarlet, hopefully they both can make it in MKX.
MortalMushroom
09/27/2014 03:17 AM (UTC)
Dang, it seems like your art really has come a long way in a short time. You must have been working hard on it. I used to notice some proportion issues in your characters, but you're REALLY been improving. Nightwolf, Goro, and especially Mileena seem near perfect. And you've really added some nice shading and subtle details. I did like your earlier work too, but if you compare them it's almost like this new stuff was drawn by a completely different person!
Icebaby
09/27/2014 03:58 AM (UTC)
LordSkarlet Wrote:
I like the new ideas for Sonya & Skarlet, hopefully they both can make it in MKX.

Thank you! I hope they make it in too, I did like Skarlet and I hope they just don't ditch her immediately.

johnny1up Wrote:
Dang, it seems like your art really has come a long way in a short time. You must have been working hard on it. I used to notice some proportion issues in your characters, but you're REALLY been improving. Nightwolf, Goro, and especially Mileena seem near perfect. And you've really added some nice shading and subtle details. I did like your earlier work too, but if you compare them it's almost like this new stuff was drawn by a completely different person!

Ahh yes thank you for your feedback! I have a few old pictures still on my Facebook that I look back at every now and then and I look at what I can do now and it's just amazing. A few people have recommended me getting different art books and I've just been reading them up a storm!

Glad you appreciate what you see here! Expect more to come! Working on Reptile for right now!
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.