Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 1 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (23.5%)
Jade (41.1%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (26.4%)
Freddy Krueger (8.8%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • January 5th, 2018
    Enchantress Takes Control in Injustice 2 Trailer [Read On]
  • January 4th, 2018
    Great Big Story Spotlight Voice of Shao Kahn: Steve Ritchie [Read On]
  • December 22nd, 2017
    When The Disaster Artist Met Mortal Kombat [Read On]
  • December 20th, 2017
    MKX Mobile 2017 Holiday Bonuses & Updates [Read On]
  • December 15th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Limited Console Free Trial [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat X

Discussing Mortal Kombat X and all things Kontemporary to it.
Page of 4

Mick-LuciferPosted: 10/26/2014 01:16 AMStatus ::
Whos Next? Cassie Cage - A Work In Progress

Mortal Kombat X developer NetherRealm Studios has released a new character interaction image that has everybody talking about second generation debutante: Cassie Cage!

The daughter of klassic kombatants Johnny Cage & Sonya Blade was first introduced to us way back during June's E3 debut! An official render image soon followed - and it was there that the apparent work in progress first became evident. The latest picture's quippy dialogue is standard fare for "going viral", but like gossip coverage of Hollywood starlets - it's Cassie's changing face that is perhaps unintentionally drawing all the attention.

So's your face!
Changing Faces: Cassie Cage is growing up so fast!

Comparing and contrasting the different iterations of Cassie Cage has been simple, thus far. Both incarnations of the official render have favoured an obscured face -- the E3 build, in particular, featuring a Cassie with choppy short hair that covered even more of her distinguishing features.

The E3 look implied a slightly more mature, austere character than the bubblegum chewing, trash talking fighter that has since emerged -- a likely indication of the work in progress, more so than characterization. In the latest image, Character Variations come into play, but the rendering of Cassie's face is noticeably different.

Despite a five month timeframe following, we've still seen comparative little of Cassie when measured against other E3 introductions. D'Vorah, Ferra/Torr & Kotal Kahn took the lions share of demo coverage and screenshots, with only D'Vorah receiving the Character Variation spotlight, in the mean time! Tumblr animated GIFs - another attempt to virally spread, but only with thumbnail detail.

While the few glimpses we have seen have fed easily into assumptions based on the character's lineage -- it's fair to say we still know very little about the character's motivation, attitude, or circumstances.

Talking to Comic Vine at New York Comic Con; upcoming Mortal Kombat X comics writer Shawn Kittelsen toyed with the idea of Cassie Cage's parental issues as daughter to two of Earthrealm's greatest heroes -- a movie star and military woman, respectively.

It goes without saying that all characters in the demo are subject to change. The development process inherently lends itself to ongoing and organic improvements. Almost every modern version of Mortal Kombat has previewed elements that were altered, or improved, come the final retail version. It seems clear that Cassie Cage is nearing her definitive form, and while likely unintentional, the different images have provided an interesting look inside the creative process.

Related Article: Mortal Kombat X Behind the Scenes Notes - Sounds, Sights]

How do you rate Cassie Cage's development so far? What does it tell us about her character? Register to join all the speculation on the Mortal Kombat X forum! Like and share more material via @MK_Online, Facebook & YouTube!

IcebabyPosted: 10/24/2014 06:46 PMStatus ::

Visits::11647
Nationality::United States
Like father like daughter

Nice Skirt If link doesn't work here

Thought this would be cool, Cassie insulting Kotal

Dragon Points:
H3ndrixPosted: 10/24/2014 07:05 PMStatus ::

Visits::413
RE: Like father like daughter

That PS2 face though...

Rockchalk5477Posted: 10/24/2014 07:12 PMStatus ::

Visits::12960

Mobile links are kinda screwy.

(Direct link to image)

She looks way better. Seriously. Compare with this.

mkmileenaPosted: 10/24/2014 07:13 PMStatus ::

Visits::4825

she looks horrible still

Ethereal, ravenous, piercing. It's Mileena bitch.

Lovely signature by MINION

H3ndrixPosted: 10/24/2014 07:13 PMStatus ::

Eh...

IcebabyPosted: 10/24/2014 07:24 PMStatus ::

I think it's an improvement. I see no PS2 anywhere.

Yeah sorry for the piss poor links, I'm on mah phone and I wanted to be first. So ah-ha!

RazorsEdge701Posted: 10/24/2014 07:25 PMStatus ::

Visits::20795

The texture of her face seems a little too smooth and plastic-y, but other than that I don't really see anything wrong with her model.

At least she looks like a girl, unlike most of the Injustice cast, and doesn't have a horrifically imploded nose like MK9 Kitana.

H3ndrixPosted: 10/24/2014 07:28 PMStatus ::

Icebaby Wrote:
I think it's an improvement. I see no PS2 anywhere.

Yeah sorry for the piss poor links, I'm on mah phone and I wanted to be first. So ah-ha!

I can definitely see the improvement after Rockchalk5477 left that pic, but I don't know man... just something about her face is just off to me.

RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
The texture of her face seems a little too smooth and plastic-y, but other than that I don't really see anything wrong with her model.

You know, I think that's exactly what's off to me.

RazorsEdge701Posted: 10/24/2014 07:35 PMStatus ::

It's actually better if you see the pic zoomed all the way in. At the proper resolution, you can start to notice her texture actually does have faint pores and freckles.

Granted it's still possible she's a little too shiny.

xysionPosted: 10/24/2014 08:50 PMStatus ::

Visits::260
Nationality::Italy

Cassie looks much better. Looks like she has got higher resolution textures on her model. Looks most apparent ot me on her face and on the cloth of her costume especially round the silver star.

I read somewhere else that her model is still beng worked on and so are her animations.

Lazio? La prima squadra della Capitale.
diirecthitPosted: 10/24/2014 09:25 PMStatus ::

Visits::4647
Nationality::Mexico

Her face looks better than ANY girl in MK9, no exception

KenshiMaster16Posted: 10/24/2014 09:33 PMStatus ::

Visits::10137

diirecthit Wrote:
Her face looks better than ANY girl in MK9, no exception

This. She looks miles better than any female in MK9 and definitely better than all the women with man-hands syndrome from 2002-2006.

OnagaPosted: 10/24/2014 10:05 PMStatus ::

Visits::8735
Nationality::Canada

You guys sure do like to nit pick about the women in MK.

OttoVonRuthlessPosted: 10/24/2014 10:32 PMStatus ::

Visits::2368

Onaga Wrote:
You guys sure do like to nit pick about the women in MK.

Oh boy, do they

BrutemasterPosted: 10/24/2014 10:43 PMStatus ::

Visits::0

Cassie's facial structure sure beats Sonya's from MKDA-MK9.

SwingBattaPosted: 10/25/2014 12:20 AMStatus ::

Visits::1720

I love how a whole thread is focused solely on Cassie's looks like a bunch of armchair ESPN analysts.

The obsessive nitpicking over the women's physicalities by MK fanboys is unreal.

RazorsEdge701Posted: 10/25/2014 12:27 AMStatus ::

Graphics, modelling, and art direction are important parts of a video game.

H3ndrixPosted: 10/25/2014 12:36 AMStatus ::

SwingBatta Wrote:
I love how a whole thread is focused solely on Cassie's looks like a bunch of armchair ESPN analysts.

The obsessive nitpicking over the women's physicalities by MK fanboys is unreal.

If it was Kano, Sub-Zero or any other male who's model was off putting to me, I'd say it. I couldn't give any less of a fuck if it was a female or male. So far the other characters look much better in my opinion.

She looks like plastic to me right now, though it is definitely an improvement as I stated before. Before she looked like she was from GTA:SA, her model has clearly gone through more changes than any other character in this game. I wouldn't call that nitpicking, I'd call it pointing out the obvious.

krajaxPosted: 10/25/2014 12:41 AMStatus ::

Visits::3050

I say she looks a lot better than most of the female models from previous MK games. Especially ICK

dibulaPosted: 10/25/2014 12:43 AMStatus ::

Visits::7429

It's not that she looks bad. It's just that she looks too fake by today's gaming standards. I suppose to further elaborate, the games with the best detailed characters could almost be imaged as a person in the real world. Cassie looks good, but she isn't convincing enough by today's standards to look real. I think that is what they mean by "PS2" look.

TLDR: She is detailed, but not convincing.

I'm not bitching though. The game looks great and so do the other characters. I am just agreeing with a point.

IcebabyPosted: 10/25/2014 12:53 AMStatus ::

RazorsEdge701 Wrote:

While this is true, the real purpose of this thread was just showcasing the whole "Nice mini skirt" line. (Which really hasn't even been discussed about at all here) I really wasn't aiming on discussing Cassie's change but meh, it's getting a discussion so carry on.

H3ndrixPosted: 10/25/2014 01:01 AMStatus ::

Icebaby Wrote:
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:

While this is true, the real purpose of this thread was just showcasing the whole "Nice mini skirt" line. (Which really hasn't even been discussed about at all here) I really wasn't aiming on discussing Cassie's change but meh, it's getting a discussion so carry on.

Sorry about changing up your thread, bro chick. \._./

The mini skirt line is pretty funny, though. I'm wondering though if it's actual in game dialogue or just NRS having some Facebook fun.

RedSumacPosted: 10/25/2014 01:11 AMStatus ::

Visits::2302
Nationality::Russia

I just imagine Kotal making his response in typical "every evil despot" voice.

Rockchalk5477Posted: 10/25/2014 01:17 AMStatus ::

Visits::12960

H3ndrix Wrote:
The mini skirt line is pretty funny, though. I'm wondering though if it's actual in game dialogue or just NRS having some Facebook fun.

Upon going back to a video from E3, it seems to me that the dialogue is accurate. Though there is no dialogue, you can sort of read Cassie's lips. (It definitely looks like she's saying "mini-skirt".)

Page of 4

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.