Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 2 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
MK Online Site Updates
  • July 19th, 2018
    Review: Injustice vs. Masters of the Universe #1 [Read On]
  • July 18th, 2018
    Lost Kontent: Tobias Shares MKvDC Comic Art & MK4 Reptile [Read On]
  • July 17th, 2018
    John Tobias to Feature on Comic-Con Digitized Graphics Panel [Read On]
  • July 15th, 2018
    Ed Boon Avatar Change Sparks MK/DC Fan Speculation [Read On]
  • July 13th, 2018
    James Wan & Ed Boon Rebuff False Movie Reports [Read On]

MK Online User Poll

Round 3: FIGHT!
Raiden (60.5%)
Cyrax (39.4%)

Forum Listings

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat X

Discussing Mortal Kombat X and all things Kontemporary to it.
Page of 4

Mick-LuciferPosted: 02/12/2015 09:53 AMStatus ::
Backstory Notes & Spoilers from Mortal Kombat X #2

Digital readers of the Mortal Kombat X comic book will have been within their rights to have many questions regarding details glanced since Chapter One. Designed to tell the story between Mortal Kombat (2011) to the April 14 release - many key points have remained unelaborated upon, left to vague references.

MK Online Kommunity User Shadaloo has shared a recap page found in print versions of Mortal Kombat X #2, which details some of the missing the pieces. The following transcript contains SPOILERS. Read on at your own risk.

Even after defeating the evil Shao Kahn, humanity was not safe.

A fallen Elder God named Shinnok rose to lead the undead armies of Netherrealm against us in a war that nearly destroyed Earthrealm. Nearly.

Against all odds, Raiden and his champions prevailed. Shinnok was imprisoned and his undead army was driven back to Netherrealm - except for a fortunate few, miraculously restored to life, and granted the opportunity to set things right...

Previously in Mortal Kombat X:

Given a second chance at life, Hanzo Hasashi aka "Scorpion" reformed the Shirai Ryu clan and took in Takeda, son of the swordsman Kenshi, as his latest apprentice. But after a demon posessed one of Hanzo's students via an ancient dagger and massacred the rest of his clan, Scorpion vowed to finish the being who had originally given him the dagger - Raiden!

Meanwhile...

After Emperor Shao Kahn's death, his sole heir Mileena claimed the throne of Outworld. As the war between Earthrealm and Netherrealm threatened to spread to Outworld, Empress Mileena refused to coordinate a defense effort, ignoring the pleas of her War Chief, Kotal. Finally, after a great battle, Mileena was overthrown. Those who sided with the would-be Empress became enemies of the new Emperor, now calling himself Kotal Kahn.

And thus the Outworld Civil War began...

Cast list:

Hanzo Hasashi AKA Scorpion: Grandmaster of the Shirai Ryu. Former Netherrealm agent.
Kenshi: Special Forces agent. Absentee father.
Raiden: God of Thunder. Protector of Earthrealm.
Sonya Blade: Commander of Earthrealm Strategic Defense.
Jacqui Briggs; Daughter of Jackson "Jax" Briggs.
Cassie Cage: Daughter of Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade.
Erron Black: A mysterious mercenary living in Outworld.
D'Vorah: First minister to Kotal Kahn.
Kotal Kahn: Emperor of Outworld. Osh-Tekk warrior.

It remains unknown if details of the Netherrealm war -- an apparent reference to the plot originally told in Mortal Kombat 4 (prior to the 2011 reboot) -- will be featured in Mortal Kombat X's story mode.

Register to join the speculation and discussion on the Mortal Kombat X forum. Find dedicated comic book coverage in the Media & Merchandise forum. Found some interesting information? Use the newslead submission form to send it direct!

ShadalooPosted: 02/11/2015 01:39 PMStatus ::

Visits::7067
Nationality::Canada
Mortal Kombat Blood Ties: Print issue #2 - Netherrealm War brief summary, mild spoilers

So, I just picked up the #2 print issue, which runs from Cassie and Jacqui's sparring session through to Kotal's origin and Mileena's proposition to Goro. Unlike last time, no new pages are present we haven't seen already, but there's a recap page at the beginning which I don't recall seeing in the digital issues (at the very least, nobody's mentioned any details from it), so I'm pretty sure some of this is new info. The recap of the war and recent events goes as follows:

Spoilers: (Highlight to reveal)

Even after defeating the evil Shao Kahn, humanity was not safe.

A fallen Elder God named Shinnok rose to lead the undead armies of Netherrealm against us in a war that nearly destroyed Earthrealm. Nearly.

Against all odds, Raiden and his champions prevailed. Shinnok was imprisoned and his undead army was driven back to Netherrealm - except for a fortunate few, miraculously restored to life, and granted the opportunity to set things right...

Previously in Mortal Kombat X:

Given a second chance at life, Hanzo Hasashi aka "Scorpion" reformed the Shirai Ryu clan and took in Takeda, son of the swordsman Kenshi, as his latest apprentice. But after a demon posessed one of Hanzo's students via an ancient dagger and massacred the rest of his clan, Scorpion vowed to finish the being who had originally given him the dagger - Raiden!

Meanwhile...

After Emperor Shao Kahn's death, his sole heir Mileena claimed the throne of Outworld. As the war between Earthrealm and Netherrealm threatened to spread to Outworld, Empress Mileena refused to coordinate a defense effort, ignoring the pleas of her War Chief, Kotal. Finally, after a great battle, Mileena was overthrown. Those who sided with the would-be Empress became enemies of the new Emperor, now calling himself Kotal Kahn.

And thus the Outworld Civil War began...

Cast list:

Hanzo Hasashi AKA Scorpion: Grandmaster of the Shirai Ryu. Former Netherrealm agent.

Kenshi: Special Forces agent. Absentee father.

Raiden: God of Thunder. Protector of Earthrealm.

Sonya Blade: Commander of Earthrealm Strategic Defense.

Jacqui Briggs; Daughter of Jackson "Jax" Briggs.

Cassie Cage: Daughter of Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade.

Erron Black: A mysterious mercenary living in Outworld.

D'Vorah: First minister to Kotal Kahn.

Kotal Kahn: Emperor of Outworld. Osh-Tekk warrior.

MK Khronology: 58.49% complete...
LokheitPosted: 02/11/2015 01:43 PMStatus ::

Visits::2707
Nationality::Spain
RE: Mortal Kombat Blood TIes: Print issue #2 - Netherrealm War brief summary, mild spoilers

Interesting that Shinnokh was imprisioned (there goes the Quan Chi's skill theories), maybe he would even be used in desperate measures against the final boss.

And it pretty much confirms that the returning dead characters come from the defeat of the netherealm forces and are on the good side again.

I'm almost sure now that the heroes that aren't returning, like Jade, were sent to Outworld instead of Earthrealm and that's why they couldn't be rescued.

Spider804Posted: 02/11/2015 01:44 PMStatus ::

Visits::6938
Nationality::United States
RE: Mortal Kombat Blood TIes: Print issue #2 - Netherrealm War brief summary, mild spoilers

I guess everyone worried about Shinnok getting killed can unclench their sphincters now.

DervisPosted: 02/11/2015 01:45 PMStatus ::

Visits::991

Interesting! Its great to see some details about the story finally. Looks like Shinnok will be present after all! Sounds like the first half of the game will play through the Nether Realm war arc, and then the fall of Mileena/Rise of Kotal Kahn. Can't wait to see what happens next!

unleash_your_toungePosted: 02/11/2015 01:49 PMStatus ::

Visits::5818

Picking my copy up after work today. So stoked! Thanks for the summary.

I'm also glad they're doing two issues a month now. Waiting this past month while carefully browsing around spoiler threads has been a pain.

Need to find out who this Erron Black is and why he's relevant. I think I'm mostly excited to learn more about Kotal though. Easily my favorite newbie so far.

"Life, for all it's anguish, is ours Miss Ives. It belongs to no other." - Ferdinand Lyle
friendshipagainPosted: 02/11/2015 01:50 PMStatus ::

Visits::2552
Nationality::United Kingdom

Awesome find!! You have any screens?

I'm very happy to see
Shinnok
potentially back in the mix, gives me a little more hope for post-trilogy characters. Though whether we see any OTHER post trilogy characters besides
Kenshi
is still in extreme doubt - I'm pretty certain we'll see him now.

nightbreed_16Posted: 02/11/2015 01:51 PMStatus ::

Visits::259

I am glad if Shinnok gets a roster spot in the game.

I will rock you.
Mileenaownz12345Posted: 02/11/2015 01:51 PMStatus ::

Visits::928
Nationality::United Kingdom

No Mileena?

The fuck is this?!

photo smallest_zpsaju7blaf.gif EMPRESS MILEENA: Outworld's True Ruler!
Demon_0Posted: 02/11/2015 01:52 PMStatus ::

Visits::4667
Nationality::Afghanistan

I seriously hope the Netherrealm war is the first part of the story mode in MKX

Avatar is part of fanart created by Esau13
NickScryerPosted: 02/11/2015 01:52 PMStatus ::

Visits::5271
Nationality::Ireland

Love it! Thanks for the info dude.

Glad that not everyone "miraculously returned to life". Can't wait to see the first part of the game, EarthRealm and Outworld VS NetherRealm! If that indeed is what happens. I'm assuming it is based on Kotal's comments in chapter 3/4.

Then the Outworld Civil War.

Wonder what the 25 years in the future storyline is. Hurry up April!!

T-rexPosted: 02/11/2015 01:57 PMStatus ::

Visits::6346
Nationality::Belarus

This is fucking awesome.

Earthrealm Strategic Defense

I still think that
Outerrealms Investigation Agency
sounds way cooler, but this will do nicely for now. :3

mkwhopperPosted: 02/11/2015 02:04 PMStatus ::

Visits::4514

Very interesting.

It seems
only a select few heroes are returning. I.e the important ones.

barakallPosted: 02/11/2015 02:05 PMStatus ::

Visits::1726

Wow so that's it, Shinnok tries to take over but goes BACK to imprisonment (he mentioned in mk9 ending that he would soon be free..)? I had high hopes after that ending that they would leave this kind of a mystery since the comics are actually after all this has happened. Kind of stupid to spoil that info like that by NRS.

Mileena sole heir to the throne and no mention of Baraka so my guess is he will be killed off. My guess is also that this time the ones who are killed in the war will never return, unless they go for another Armageddon type game though Ed Boon sounded like he really did not know where to take MK after this game.

Kenshi being absent and Shinnok back to imprisonment actually has me leaning towards Shinnok being a maybe to doubtful and Kenshi out. I just wish they didn't say he was imprisoned again. If he breaks out a second time, it would be quite lame though that could mean he's the boss and maybe very powerful.

Glad it is 200% confirmed Shao Kahn is truly freaking dead but also no mention of Shang Tsung could mean he's the boss, plotting by himself, though that would be stupid. Goro hopefully will lead the charge against Kotal Kahn.

Lot of info to be released so that's hopeful. How leading would the comics be to the game, is it exactly the same?

ShadalooPosted: 02/11/2015 02:07 PMStatus ::

Visits::7067

friendshipagain Wrote:
Awesome find!! You have any screens?

Can't scan anything; I'm in the middle of my work day and all I've got is my good name on these boards; but there's nothing new there image-wise, except for the small character mugshots.

MK Khronology: 58.49% complete...
Spider804Posted: 02/11/2015 02:08 PMStatus ::

John Vogel himself said death doesn't mean jack shit in Mortal Kombat

Maybe not this game, but the dead will come back

Except Hsu Hao, they hate 'em

lastfighter89Posted: 02/11/2015 02:11 PMStatus ::

Visits::5388
Nationality::Italy

It seems that only the most popular characters among the dead ones will be back. Farewell Kurtis Stryker, Empress Sindel, Smoke, Jade

Spider804Posted: 02/11/2015 02:12 PMStatus ::

Farewell

For now

JINNOCIDEPosted: 02/11/2015 02:14 PMStatus ::

Visits::1177
Nationality::Brazil

Found it on MKX group.

https://scontent-a-gru.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/1925306_807980085938603_4102496166409287023_n.jpg?oh=f69f442064a372d6283459564d683d20&oe=5557D44A

Clicky

NickScryerPosted: 02/11/2015 02:17 PMStatus ::

Visits::5271

In my mind, those head shots are now confirmed playable characters.

Spider804Posted: 02/11/2015 02:17 PMStatus ::

NickScryer Wrote:
In my mind, those head shots are now confirmed playable characters.

Please Jesus, I hope so

Lord_GreyjoyPosted: 02/11/2015 02:18 PMStatus ::

Visits::695

lastfighter89 Wrote:
It seems that only the most popular characters among the dead ones will be back. Farewell Kurtis Stryker, Empress Sindel, Smoke, Jade

Agreed about Jade, Sindel, Stryker. I'd like to add Nightwolf.

But Smoke? LOL nope. I'm not even a fan of his and I can see how popular he is in light of MK9. In fact, he was in the top 5 most played online. He's not as popular as most fan favorites, but I wouldn't put him in Jade-Sindel-Stryker tier.

Kabal, though? Not sure.

lastfighter89Posted: 02/11/2015 02:23 PMStatus ::

Visits::5388
Nationality::Italy

This explains also how Hanzo defeated Scorpion and restore his humanity. So Shinnok 's faction is made of the revenants, Quan Chi and madre Sareena, Kia and Jataaka. No Reiko. No Tanya. No Reptile.

Tazer_GunshotPosted: 02/11/2015 02:27 PMStatus ::

Visits::572

Erron Black is intact!

KeithPosted: 02/11/2015 02:29 PMStatus ::

Visits::15233

T-rex Wrote:
This is fucking awesome.

Earthrealm Strategic Defense

I still think that
Outerrealms Investigation Agency
sounds way cooler, but this will do nicely for now. :3

Maybe since MK9 was such a clusterfuck for Earth as opposed to MK3, Sonya's not much in the mood to 'investigate' these new realms she's learning of and instead just wants to keep them the hell away from Earth.

Could that be referring to Sindel? I can't think of anything the undead characters would need to 'set right' except maybe Sindel and the whole 'sorry, I killed all of you, my bad.'

Page of 4

© 1998-2018 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.