Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
MK Online Site Updates
  • July 19th, 2018
    Review: Injustice vs. Masters of the Universe #1 [Read On]
  • July 18th, 2018
    Lost Kontent: Tobias Shares MKvDC Comic Art & MK4 Reptile [Read On]
  • July 17th, 2018
    John Tobias to Feature on Comic-Con Digitized Graphics Panel [Read On]
  • July 15th, 2018
    Ed Boon Avatar Change Sparks MK/DC Fan Speculation [Read On]
  • July 13th, 2018
    James Wan & Ed Boon Rebuff False Movie Reports [Read On]

MK Online User Poll

Round 3: FIGHT!
Kitana (55%)
Sindel (45%)

Forum Listings

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Media & Merchandise

Discussing Mortal Kombat in Movies, Television, New Media and Merchandising.
Page of 8

Mick-LuciferPosted: 02/15/2015 01:09 AMStatus ::
Review: Mortal Kombat X #2 Chapter 5

Mortal Kombat Online's review cycle is drifting back from the current digital release schedule, but be warned: the following article will contain spoilers! Visit DC Entertainment to purchase Chapter 5 before continuing!

Mortal Kombat X: Blood Ties continues with Part 2 of the digitally divided "Caged" story. Note: This 2-part story will appear in its entirety in print editions of Mortal Kombat X #2.

Per the trifurcated nature of the digital series, this instalment picks up pretty much where Chapter 4 left off. In doing so, it quickly answers some of the structural questions raised by the last chapter, but does so again suffering for the limited space afforded by digital chapters. Fortunately, Chapter 5 starts to create the sense of story momentum, making it clear these aren't strictly disparate tales that will come together in crescendo at the end. For all the set-up, Raiden appears to be emerging as the through line fans have seen in previous incarnations.

The real meat of the chapter is Cassie Cage's continuing misadventures in the world of underground cage fighting. Last chapter ended with a Frost deathmatch bombshell, and that's picked up and concluded in Chapter 5.

Dexter Soy is really on point with the fighting that ensues and his energetic layouts. As observed previously, Shawn Kittelsen seems to be doing his best work when dealing with the introduction of new characters. These two chapters really tell us a lot about Cassie Cage, who emerges as an individual, as much as a product of her two iconic parents. This character is loud and obnoxious, but when it comes to the crunch, she's tough, gritty and a good soul. The challenge will be for the character in the games to live up to these expectations.

Surpassing all expectations is Frost - who will not yet be joining the dead pool!

An underground deathmatch involving a third-tier ice wielder seemed like a shoo-in for a cheap fatality -- especially when we're not even sure which Sub-Zero is making the cut -- but hope springs eternal as Cassie not only spares her opponent - but helps her out of another deadly encounter! The threat storming the MMA arena? Jarek & Tasia of the Black Dragon Clan!

Last year, a couple of folks took offense to MK Online's cheeky (and still infamous) Special Forces April Fools gag [full story]. Opportunity played a part in the choice, but the fact is, we went with MKSF because it's always been an under valued, valid piece of the canon!

The oddball MKSF villains who fleshed out the Black Dragon's supposedly international criminal organization have been waiting for a serial situation to finally make them work. The characters who came before them all had opportunities to be properly revamped in subsequent outings. This is a nice start for a couple of the easier options!

We're a little disappointed Jarek has his slightly baffling, bulky chested Armageddon design. Something closer to MK4, or completely new, might have been appreciated. The chances of Jarek & Tasia flip jumping their way back into the core games' spotlight is pretty slim, so there's not much use complaining. It reads like a cameo for cameo's sake, but here's hoping the Black Dragon get a chance to develop in hypothetical future appearances.

The chapter ends with Cassie Cage snapping smart phone selfies while running from her and Jacqui Briggs's pursuers. It's a pretty brilliant 'bread crumb' device that makes good use of Cassie's overtly millennial status. Momma Sonya Blade discovers the phone after Cassie & Jacqui are abducted in a portal. It looks like the Black Dragon are working for Kotal Kahn - as evidenced by another voiceless single panel appearance by the elusive Erron Black.

It turns out Kotal Kahn has himself a nifty portal stone, which he's clearly using to hop from place to place with relative ease. Does Erron Black have Black Dragon ties? Is he an Earthrealm gunslinger, or a survivor of a realm where the wild west is alive and well? Questions we will continue ponder as we count down to the April 14th release of the new game.

Mortal Kombat X is on sale now! Visit DC Entertainment to pick up all the digital chapters for 99c each! Bookmark the MKO Comics Directory for more previews, reviews and purchase links. Register to share your review and discuss other issues via the Media & Merchandise forum!

mkmileenaPosted: 01/31/2015 11:23 PMStatus ::

Visits::4826
MKX Comic chapter 5 discussion! *spoilers***

OMG HEY TASIA GIRL!! BUT WHERE"S TREMOR?!?!

Tasia and Jarek make an appearance as part of the Black Dragon and go after Cassie and Jacqui, who save frost and let her live!!

I love that Tasia made an appearance!! i always wish they developed her into a character. She still retains her MKSF design for the most part

Raiden interupts Kotal and Sonya's fight, mr buzzkill. Sonya looks great in the comic!
Also, portal stones?? I bet that's what Mileena was holding at the end of chapter 3 :)

Ethereal, ravenous, piercing. It's Mileena bitch.

Lovely signature by MINION

Cages_ShadesPosted: 01/31/2015 11:25 PMStatus ::

Visits::1474
Nationality::United States
RE: MKX Comic 5 discussion! *spoilers***

(i havent read it as i only get the print versions)

I knew Frost wouldnt die though, my money is she will be in MKX

Props to MINION
James_SunderlandPosted: 01/31/2015 11:27 PMStatus ::

Visits::213

I'm a little confused, Tasia and Jarek save Frost and let her live?

Second fan of "The Lady in Green...err Turquoise, no Gold?"
mkmileenaPosted: 01/31/2015 11:29 PMStatus ::

James_Sunderland Wrote:

No, Tasia and Jarek interupt Cassie and Frost's cage match, looking to capture Cassie..

Cassie and Jacqui flee away and save frost, who was still knocked out from their match, then jump into a portal to (i assume) outworld.

Cages_ShadesPosted: 01/31/2015 11:32 PMStatus ::

Visits::1474

Were Tasia or Jarek in new outfits or their old ones?

Props to MINION
mkmileenaPosted: 01/31/2015 11:33 PMStatus ::

Cages_Shades Wrote:
Were Tasia or Jarek in new outfits or their old ones?

Tasia looks to be in her same.

I cant tell if jarak is in a new one or not because I dont remember his costume from before, but its more detailed than Tasia's ^

KenshiMaster16Posted: 01/31/2015 11:37 PMStatus ::

Visits::10253
RE: MKX Comic chapter 5 discussion! *spoilers***

lol That's fucking amazing. Jesus Christ, what a crazy two-some to appear. Can honestly say I was NOT expecting those two to appear anytime soon.

nightbreed_16Posted: 01/31/2015 11:41 PMStatus ::

Visits::259
RE: MKX Comic chapter 5 discussion! *spoilers***

I need Frost in the game.

I will rock you.
James_SunderlandPosted: 01/31/2015 11:41 PMStatus ::

Visits::213

mkmileena Wrote:
James_Sunderland Wrote:

No, Tasia and Jarek interupt Cassie and Frost's cage match, looking to capture Cassie..

Cassie and Jacqui flee away and save frost, who was still knocked out from their match, then jump into a portal to (i assume) outworld.

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification. ✌

Very suprised at seeing Tasia and Jarek. I wonder if both and perhaps even Tremor get killed off in the comic.

Second fan of "The Lady in Green...err Turquoise, no Gold?"
mkmileenaPosted: 01/31/2015 11:43 PMStatus ::

James_Sunderland Wrote:
mkmileena Wrote:
James_Sunderland Wrote:

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification. ✌

Very suprised at seeing Tasia and Jarek. I wonder if both and perhaps even Tremor get killed off in the comic.

It's interesting that they left Tremor out! Hopefully (for me) he takes a surprise roster spot in the game!

Also, the theories of Sonya and Kotal allying seem to be untrue, as Sonya seems to blame Kotal for the attack on Cassie.

Sonya and Johnny plan to go to outworld to rescue her!

JAX007Posted: 01/31/2015 11:49 PMStatus ::

Visits::8581
Nationality::Canada

Damn this issue went by too quick!

Jarek has his MKA design, Axe weapon too.

IcebabyPosted: 01/31/2015 11:57 PMStatus ::

Visits::11648

Who's a happy little camper that their one favorite didn't get killed?

This gal!

Yeah!

Who's a happy little camper to actually see Tasia and is doing something cool?

This gal!

Yeah!

Who's... Aww too much awesomeness, that's all.

DV805Posted: 01/31/2015 11:58 PMStatus ::

Visits::821

I haven't read it yet, but Frost living is giving me hope that she'll be in MKX. Not sure if they still wanna keep her evil, but I wouldn't be opposed to Frost and Cassie teaming up. Even if it's a "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" kinda thing.

moll211Posted: 02/01/2015 12:01 AMStatus ::

Visits::110

Did Cassie take a pic of Erron black while she was going through the portal or something? so sonya would know where she went? just wanna know if that was it cause i was a little bit confused about that part lol

LOVE THIS ISSUE the comic is really getting good!! can't wait to see OPERATION SAVE CAGE haha

mkmileenaPosted: 02/01/2015 12:04 AMStatus ::

moll211 Wrote:
Did Cassie take a pic of Erron black while she was going through the portal or something? so sonya would know where she went? just wanna know if that was it cause i was a little bit confused about that part lol

LOVE THIS ISSUE the comic is really getting good!! can't wait to see OPERATION SAVE CAGE haha

yea im confused on that part as well! lol

LiteBulb_Posted: 02/01/2015 12:19 AMStatus ::

Visits::88

I didn't even realize that was Jarek. Never knew who Tasia was. Coolness.

smokeman14Posted: 02/01/2015 12:24 AMStatus ::

Visits::6406

The god of blunder fucked up so hard that he made the Black Dragon and the Red Dragon competent.

Edit: just adding a few things.

1. Disappointing that they gave Jarek his MKA as opposed to his MK4, also I'm going to read Jarek in his Mk4 voice forever.

And Tasia was a nice surprise.

ShadowfirePosted: 02/01/2015 12:32 AMStatus ::

Visits::934

I was so surprised to see both Tasia and Jarek. Pretty cool that Jarek is in his Armageddon outfit and has his axe. I had the feeling that fight was going to be interrupted Frost was going to live. Loving this comic so far.

SockiePosted: 02/01/2015 12:34 AMStatus ::

Visits::3146

mkmileena Wrote:
moll211 Wrote:

yea im confused on that part as well! lol

Erron was on the other side of the portal is the implication, I believe. His photo was the last Cassie took before she dropped her phone.

krajaxPosted: 02/01/2015 12:56 AMStatus ::

Visits::3078

Summary of Chapter 5: I'M SO GGGGGGGAYY!

smokeman14Posted: 02/01/2015 12:59 AMStatus ::

krajax Wrote:

Going some where, Jarek?

krajaxPosted: 02/01/2015 01:02 AMStatus ::

Visits::3078

smokeman14 Wrote:
krajax Wrote:

Going some where, Jarek?

JAX! I thought you were yo...

SwingBattaPosted: 02/01/2015 01:04 AMStatus ::

Visits::1720

krajax Wrote:
smokeman14 Wrote:
krajax Wrote:

Going some where, Jarek?

Between this and the "Ermac's upper lip" thread, it's been a good day on here.

smokeman14Posted: 02/01/2015 01:09 AMStatus ::

krajax Wrote:
smokeman14 Wrote:
krajax Wrote:

Going some where, Jarek?

Thought I was what? Dead? Like my partner you just tossed off the cliff?

Page of 8

© 1998-2018 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.