Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
MK Online Site Updates
  • October 16th, 2018
    Tomorrow’s MKO Twitch Stream to feature speedrunning champ, Outworld! [Read On]
  • October 4th, 2018
    Super Combat Fighter, 2D Digitized Fighting Game, coming soon! [Read On]
  • September 25th, 2018
    Upcoming Mortal Kombat Online Twitch Stream to feature Cary Tagawa [Read On]
  • September 16th, 2018
    MKO Live Stream to Feature Author of NBA Jam: The Book [Read On]
  • August 6th, 2018
    MKO's Interviews with the Film Cast: Coming Thursday [Read On]

MK Online User Poll

Kombat Kon 2018?
Get over here! (56.9%)
Out of kredits. (43.0%)

Forum Listings

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Media & Merchandise

Discussing Mortal Kombat in Movies, Television, New Media and Merchandising.
Page of 6

Mick-LuciferPosted: 03/02/2015 12:57 AMStatus ::
Review: Mortal Kombat X #2 Chapter 6

Note: The following review contains spoilers! If you haven't read digital Chapter 6 (or Mortal Kombat X #2 in print) you should visit DC Entertainment to purchase unread chapters for 99c each!

Mortal Kombat X: Blood Ties continues with a sharp turn away from the previous chapter's cliff hanger ending - toward a solo spotlight in a mini-story aptly titled "Kotal Kahn: Sekret Origin".

It's an incidental detail, but it's fun to see the comic book tradition of the "secret origin" incorporated into Mortal Kombat. Long time fans know the ties between MK and comics. It's a small acknowledgement of the fusion of cultures that is now stronger than ever. It's also a very effective way to get the root of one of the most interesting new characters introduced to Mortal Kombat in a very long time! Kotal is character we've been eager to learn more about since his E3 2014 unveiling, and abrupt introduction to the comics, in chains, during Chapter 4.

The epic backstory is condensed into a simple but effective episode. In many ways, it's reminiscent of the klassic video game character bios, spread out to show what it also tells.

It starts with the conquest of a golden realm called Osh-Tekk, many ages ago. Shao Kahn and the forces of Outworld [above] reintroduce its ruler Kotal K'etz to the forgotten concept of defeat.

We've always known Shao Kahn conquered and merged many realms into his empire of Outworld, so it's nice to go back to a time before the conflict with Earthrealm, to see another of the fallen cultures. A culture that, as it turns out, succumbed willingly after their bitter defeat. It was a gambit that allowed Kotal K'etz to retain his treasures - chief among them a "portal stone". This portal stone answers the question raised in the previous chapter: why is Kotal Kahn so casually visiting the Special Forces of Earthrealm? As it turns out, he has deep ties to our world through the use of this stone!

As it turns out, Kotal Kahn doesn't just resemble an Aztec deity - he is one! Much as we've learned Raiden is known by other names to other cultures (such as Haokah); Kotal Kahn is identified with the Aztec war god Buluc. He gained this mantle through an Osh-Tekk rite of passage called the "Realmwalk", which sent him into the harsh, warring world of Earthrealm. It's a familiar concept for strengthening a young warrior -- popularly identified with the Spartan agoge -- and a fine wrinkle to tie him to our world.

Where things start to break down a little is in the timeline. Sticklers for the original series fiction will remember Goro as the undefeated champion of Mortal Kombat for 500 years. As fate has it, Kotal Kahn arrives in The Amazon jungle at the same time as the Spanish conquistadors. This places the story around 1519 -- meaning the conquest of Osh-Tekk was close to Goro's first tournament win, possibly after (depending on the elastic determination of "the present"). We know Goro defeated Earthrealm's last great champion: The Great Kung Lao. The rules of the Elder Gods' tournament were in place for quite some time before Shao Kahn and Goro conquered the golden realm. Given the stretch of time between Mortal Kombat tournaments,

it's not unreasonable to think Outworld was monitoring other interests whilst pursuing Earthrealm through sporadic tournaments, but we've certainly never thought of it that way, and the conquest is not depicted with any sense of the Elder Gods' rules. If there's more story here, we welcome it. Perhaps the Osh-Tekk were forsaken by the Elder Gods, had no godly representation, or was a "realm" of Outworld in the traditional sense, rather than the otherworldly MK sense. After the 2011 reboot, we just hope it was thought about, rather than glossed over.

In any case - from the perspective of creating Kotal Kahn, the timing is obviously perfect. He's ingrained in the warring human culture his father forewarned. He participates in protecting his unidentified tribe -- possibly the famed inhabitants of Tenochtitlan -- fighting both rival tribes, and the Spanish invaders. This piece of history also provides a final flourish that fits the blood ties motif running throughout the series, although, timelines again become a little sketchy.

Kotal Kahn returns to Outworld when the Aztec enemies dwindle and he grows bored. While his realmwalk is complete, papa K'etz is unimpressed by his son's efforts. He sees a bigger picture. When Kotal rejects his father's doom saying, he discovers the Amazon tribe are dead. Killed by the ritual drinking of their enemies' blood, which was infected with unseen disease and pestilence. History fans know smallpox and typhus really did decimate the Aztec people. It's tough to line it up with Kotal Kahn reaching adulthood in The Amazon, but the warped history deserves a gimme.

While we might question attention to detail, the broad strokes here are excellent. Kotal Kahn has instantly become one of the great new Mortal Kombat characters - a warrior we hope can endure into future instalments. It's expected his ties to Earthrealm and Outworld will play well into the game and continuing story.

We presume the broad strokes have come from NetherRealm Studios, but as in previous chapters, Shawn Kittelsen has been at his best when writing these fertile, new characters. Artist Geraldo Borges lacks the slick inks and completed art of Dexter Soy, but his compositions serve the story well.

This chapter reads exceptionally as a stand-alone episode, but when packaged in print with the two previous chapters, it should compliment Kotal Kahn's first appearance, wrapping around to answer those questions we had regarding his entrance. The story is open to continue in a big way - too! In present day, Mileena has been deposed as Empress of Outworld, but we see Reiko and Goro working alongside her in the final pages! Excellent!

Mortal Kombat X is on sale now! Visit DC Entertainment to pick up all the digital chapters for 99c each! Bookmark the MKO Comics Directory for more previews, reviews and purchase links. Register to share your review and discuss other issues via the Media & Merchandise forum!

moll211Posted: 02/07/2015 11:13 PMStatus ::

Visits::110
Nationality::United States
Mortal Kombat X comic chapter 6 (Spoilers)

Really like this chapter and how kotal was raised and mileena looks really bad ass i hope this is her in game costume! and now she has Goro on her side which is a really nice touch!!

The part where reiko is like the red dragon have agreed to MY umm our plot is kinda weird either he thinks he is the mastermind behind mileena or he actually is which worries me if he is cause i wan mileena to be her own ruler not just a puppet.

So it looks like Kotal pretty much thinks the outworld war is over then why was he asking sonya for help?? maybe just for them to help outworld rebuild or help finish off mileena but it looks like the war isn't quite over just yet.

Some Gorleena action haha

JAX007Posted: 02/07/2015 11:27 PMStatus ::

Visits::8581
Nationality::Canada
RE: Mortal Kombat X comic chapter 6 (Spoilers)

The switch to a different artist in this issue is a bit Jarring...

Reptile can be seen again with that other design behind Erron and DVorah, he's actually green now.

DarkkPosted: 02/07/2015 11:30 PMStatus ::

Visits::529

Where'd you read it? Doesn't come out for another 30mins on google play for me at least.

Darkhound74Posted: 02/07/2015 11:32 PMStatus ::

Visits::5379

JAX007 Wrote:
The switch to a different artist in this issue is a bit Jarring...

Reptile can be seen again with that other design behind Erron and DVorah, he's actually green now.

Yeah I agree it's a bit different.

I'm curious though if Kotal made Reptile a promise about restoring his race or something along those lines.

photo darkhound-cyrax-merge-sig_zpsd49cf8cd.png
moll211Posted: 02/07/2015 11:39 PMStatus ::

Darkk Wrote:
Where'd you read it? Doesn't come out for another 30mins on google play for me at least.

I read mine in ibooks they release it at 11

septillionPosted: 02/07/2015 11:40 PMStatus ::

Visits::819

If someone were to be gracious enough to post scans of Mileena from this issue, I'd be much obliged.

"She had a pretty gift for quotation, which is a serviceable substitute for wit." --W. Somerset Maugham
IcebabyPosted: 02/07/2015 11:50 PMStatus ::

Visits::11648

I like Kotal's backstory. Such a depressing story when it has anything to do with the family.

But I guess now we know he's literally blue and not coated in paint.

AgentKPosted: 02/07/2015 11:55 PMStatus ::

Visits::54
Nationality::Finland

Reiko is in his MKA costume or a new one?

moll211Posted: 02/08/2015 12:00 AMStatus ::

Mileena and reiko

Her tongue is kinda freaky

samuhaiPosted: 02/08/2015 12:02 AMStatus ::

Visits::3080
Nationality::Australia

moll211 Wrote:
Really like this chapter and how kotal was raised and mileena looks really bad ass i hope this is her in game costume! and now she has Goro on her side which is a really nice touch!!

The part where reiko is like the red dragon have agreed to MY umm our plot is kinda weird either he thinks he is the mastermind behind mileena or he actually is which worries me if he is cause i wan mileena to be her own ruler not just a puppet.

So it looks like Kotal pretty much thinks the outworld war is over then why was he asking sonya for help?? maybe just for them to help outworld rebuild or help finish off mileena but it looks like the war isn't quite over just yet.

Some Gorleena action haha

I wouldn't worry too much about the 'my plan' thing. That seems like the normal kind of thing where a subordinate has contributed something but has to act like everything was the leader's idea. Normal megalomaniacal villain stuff

Overall, good issue, I just hate how short they are...

Plus, I want to know what time period this compared to what we've already seen.

If Kotal went and asked for Sonya's help, asy ou said... was this when he was fighting Mileena at first? Was that sometime after this issue when Mileena's plan with Goro comes to fulfillment? Etc etc

But, now that I think about it I need to add that I love that Kotal doesn't seem to be a straight villain. He thinks what he's doing is good for OUtworld's people, not just his own power.

Photobucket
Lord_GreyjoyPosted: 02/08/2015 12:03 AMStatus ::

Visits::695

moll211 Wrote:

Well, yeah. They can be the last push he needs. Or he's just trying to keep morale of the people up.

About Reiko: I think his little betrayal is gonna cost him his head. He's got redshirt written all over him.

AgentKPosted: 02/08/2015 12:06 AMStatus ::

Visits::54
Nationality::Finland

Reiko bowing down to Mileena...

Did I miss something here?

Lord_GreyjoyPosted: 02/08/2015 12:06 AMStatus ::

samuhai Wrote:

This comic takes place 15 years after MK9 (except for chapter 1 and the first few pages of chapter 2, which take place a few years after MK9). Also, Kotal's past in this chapter, but we see it because he's telling a story in the "present" of the comic. Apparently, he took the throne from Mileena ten years ago (5 years after MK9) and has been fighting her since.

All clear now?
AgentK Wrote:

Reiko is her general. He's not the one in power because he's not the one who has the birthright to be in power.

septillionPosted: 02/08/2015 12:11 AMStatus ::

Visits::819

Lord_Greyjoy Wrote:
samuhai Wrote:

This comic takes place 15 years after MK9 (except for chapter 1 and the first few pages of chapter 2, which take place a few years after MK9). Also, Kotal's past in this chapter, but we see it because he's telling a story in the "present" of the comic. Apparently, he took the throne from Mileena ten years ago (5 years after MK9) and has been fighting her since.

All clear now?

AgentK Wrote:

Reiko is her general. He's not the one in power because he's not the one who has the birthright to be in power.

I am so very, very into this plot development.

"She had a pretty gift for quotation, which is a serviceable substitute for wit." --W. Somerset Maugham
Cordova21Posted: 02/08/2015 12:14 AMStatus ::

Visits::476

Will someone please message the plot. Pretty sure not everyone wants spoilers!

Lord_GreyjoyPosted: 02/08/2015 12:16 AMStatus ::

Cordova21 Wrote:
Will someone please message the plot. Pretty sure not everyone wants spoilers!

It says 'spoilers' in the title. Come on, now...

Noob-Smoke-3333Posted: 02/08/2015 12:18 AMStatus ::

Visits::1255
Nationality::Aruba

Love this comic I hang out for it every week!!! Cool seeing reiko back in action I really hope he makes the game I hope he screws over Mileena and kills her with aspirations of taking the outworld throne for himself that would be awesome!!! Hope he is secretly affiliated with the brotherhood of shadow like he has been in the past! I just think he is a much more interesting character then mileena and will assist in taking the franchise in a new direction! And also didn't ed boon say something about the rise and fall of Kotal Kahn so it seems like someone will topple him and better reiko then Stupid boring old mileena!!!

MKNinjaChickPosted: 02/08/2015 12:24 AMStatus ::

Visits::2177

After reading this chapter, I can now say I like Kotal Kahn even more. This comic is amazing.

Spider804Posted: 02/08/2015 12:27 AMStatus ::

Visits::6938

ATTENTION MKOERS
IF YOU DON'T WANNA GET SPOILED ON ANYTHING COMIC OR GAME RELATED

JUST DON'T LOOK
JUST DON'T LOOK
JUST DON'T LOOK
JUST DON'T LOOK
JUST DON'T LOOK
JUST DON'T LOOK

JUST DON'T-Well you get the idea.

Cages_ShadesPosted: 02/08/2015 12:29 AMStatus ::

Visits::1485

no sign of who his fallen ally is right?

Props to MINION
Lord_GreyjoyPosted: 02/08/2015 12:30 AMStatus ::

It could be one of the members of his race standing with him near the end of this chapter. If his race is near-extinct and one of the few left bites it, I can see him going Kamidogu mad.

SockiePosted: 02/08/2015 12:34 AMStatus ::

Visits::3146

Cages_Shades Wrote:

Well... during the scene where Kotal is addressing his people, there are two members of his race (a male and female) at the front, near the rest of Kotal's inner circle; the only two that can be seen in the entire crowd. I think they're not just generics, and there's a good chance it may be one of them.

moll211Posted: 02/08/2015 12:36 AMStatus ::

Sockie Wrote:
Cages_Shades Wrote:

Well... during the scene where Kotal is addressing his people, there are two members of his race (a male and female) at the front, near the rest of Kotal's inner circle; the only two that can be seen in the entire crowd. I think they're not just generics, and there's a good chance it may be one of them.

After looking at them some more I really think those are his parents in the scene with him standing on the stage!! So maybe one of his parents dies and he goes insane

RepTeezyPosted: 02/08/2015 12:43 AMStatus ::

Visits::84

They got Mileena looking like a Chain Chomp....

Page of 6

© 1998-2018 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.