The downloadable content keeps on coming! With the announcement of the Who’s Next? Mortal Kombat X Worldwide Competitive Program; Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and NetherRealm Studios have revealed the Blue Steel Sub-Zero skin.

The downloadable character skin will help fund the competitive league enterprise, contributing a portion of proceeds to on-going tournament prize pools. The competitive set-up marks a partnership with The Electronic Sports League (ESL), developing a more robust program on the back of improvements made in Mortal Kombat X.

Fans will likely recognize the "Blue Steel" skin as a palette swap of "Gold Scorpion" -- Kollector's Edition statue and bonus skin designed by Coarse [learn more]. NetherRealm Studios did not respond to inquiries about pricing or availability at the time of this article.

EDITOR'S NOTE
Right idea, questionable execution. Getting the series out of the palette swap ghetto has been key to its modern evolution. The Coarse design has a great artistic sensibility, but its lost when half-heartedly duplicated. I would have liked to have seen something unique and thematically complimentary to better support the competitive scene. A legendary Kung Lao, championship Liu Kang, or MMA Johnny Cage strike me as simple, effective designs that acknowledge the players, the theme, and/or the eSports concept. Even so, I hope fans will take an interest to support the cause.

Mortal Kombat X officially launches on the PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 & PC on Tuesday, April 14th! Trade gamertags, strategies and online challenges on the dedicated Gameplay & Matchmaking forum. Register to join all the discussion in the MKX forum.