T-rex
About Me

04/15/2015 05:18 PM (UTC)
MK9 was a goddamn trainwreck. I don't think I really need to justify it again, do I?

MKX, aside from seeming a bit disjointed and hard-to-follow due to the flashback- and timeskip-based structure of the story, is an improvement in almost every way. It has some issues and inconsistencies here and there, but it kept impressing me over and over until, at the end, it left me with a big smile on my face, instead of a I'm-not-sure-what-to-feel face like MK9 did.

They didn't fuck it up.

And once you add in the tie-in comic and the (supposedly) upcoming LA series that will flesh out the background and the subplots even more, you'll get the grand total mass of MKX that - dare I say it? - might even have the honor of standing side-by-side with the Twin Peaks of MKDA and MKD.

For fuck's sake, we're getting SEKRET ORIGINS: SUB-ZERO this Sunday!

GET HOYPE
Chrome
About Me

04/15/2015 05:55 PM (UTC)
T-rex Wrote: They didn't fuck it up.

As much as MK9?

Better in what? The acting was considerable in MK9 and MKX delivers there too. Visually it is captivating, even if it is Call of Kombat brown... but that sorta fits the story.

The writing? Different animal altogether. Not keen on it.

AgentK
About Me
04/15/2015 06:04 PM (UTC)
Some let downs from MK's storyline:

Kotal Khan vs. Milenna feud was too short-lived.

Unless I missed something, how were Kitana, Liu Kang, and Kung Lao returned to life? Cause I was waiting for that to be explained, and at the very last chapter they were still revenants.

Ferra/Torr's purpose? Never explained. They were just randomly there.

Little things in the character intros like Quan Chi holding a severed Moloch head, or Kotal telling Ermac "I thought of us as allies" were never explained either. I was hoping those tidbits would be cleared up in the story.

The fuck is Goro in this game for? We see him in the comics, but virtually nothing of him in the storyline.
Windy_Thunderstorm
About Me

This beautiful sig was made by MINION.

04/15/2015 06:25 PM (UTC)
I really hate how Kitana and the others were strongly implied to be ressurected when only Jax and Sub were. Very deceiving.
SwingBatta
04/15/2015 09:48 PM (UTC)
Which was better?

MK9:

MKX:

Pretty neck-and-neck in terms of sheer awfulness.
Sub-Zero_7th
05/02/2015 08:02 PM (UTC)
I have issues with elements in both story modes, but I still find MKX's story mode to be better. Aside from better voice acting, MKX's story mode didn't have that overly campy feel that MK9's story mode had. Also, MK9's story is based on an idiot plot, and many of the character portrayals were lackluster. MKX redeemed the likes of Mileena and Raiden.
Murcielago
About Me

Get that ass BANNED

05/02/2015 08:51 PM (UTC)
Sub-Zero_7th Wrote:
I have issues with elements in both story modes, but I still find MKX's story mode to be better. Aside from better voice acting, MKX's story mode didn't have that overly campy feel that MK9's story mode had. Also, MK9's story is based on an idiot plot, and many of the character portrayals were lackluster. MKX redeemed the likes of Mileena and Raiden.

Redeemed my ass. Raiden wasn't an idiot this time around and they brought up Mileena just to shit on her via newbie mouth to mouth (which let me tell you, I had the hardest of boners at that scene). Monster grill love gets me in the mood to just fuck anything. Body slammed my mattress.

Edit: I'm in tears just from typing that.
KenshiMaster16
05/02/2015 11:45 PM (UTC)
SwingBatta Wrote:
Which was better?

MK9:

MKX:

Pretty neck-and-neck in terms of sheer awfulness.

I don't agree that MKX was awful but two thumbs up for the pics, made me chuckle. wink
KoldKombat
05/02/2015 11:53 PM (UTC)
All I know is that while MKX is better in many ways, I had a LOT more fun with MK9's story mode for some reason.
Sub-Zero_7th
05/03/2015 12:37 AM (UTC)
Murcielago Wrote:
Sub-Zero_7th Wrote:

Redeemed my ass. Raiden wasn't an idiot this time around and they brought up Mileena just to shit on her via newbie mouth to mouth (which let me tell you, I had the hardest of boners at that scene). Monster grill love gets me in the mood to just fuck anything. Body slammed my mattress.

Ouch.

Perhaps what I should have been clearer about was how the characters themselves were portrayed. Maybe I used too strong of a word there, but still, neither of them were wrecks like in the last game.
BADASS6669
About Me

Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is forgiven, so Sex is in.

I kill people for a living. Get over it.

05/03/2015 10:11 PM (UTC)
Comic Storyline >>>>>> MK9 >MKX
ScorpionEater12
About Me

As Mr. Sloan always says, there is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "I" in meat pie. Anagram of meat is team... I don't know what he's talking about.

05/03/2015 11:14 PM (UTC)
In terms of cohesion and flow, MK9 just felt better.

MKX looks better, plays better and honestly felt 'new' it just lacked something. I like the story mode don't get me wrong, just something didn't click. Maybe it was the nostalgia in MK9, but with MKX and the focus on the newer kharacters, it felt kinda 'forced' to have to actually try and like them. I don't dislike any of the kharacters, but nothing stood out for me like MK9 did.

I also felt Takeda's chapter was literally pointless. The build up to have Cassie be the 'hero' was so predictable. Maybe thats why I enjoyed MK9 more. Even though it was a retelling of sorts, it had surprises and twists, something that MKX didn't.
SwingBatta
05/04/2015 04:55 AM (UTC)
KenshiMaster16 Wrote:
I don't agree that MKX was awful but two thumbs up for the pics, made me chuckle. wink

Why, thanks. grin
Murcielago Wrote:
Sub-Zero_7th Wrote:

Yeah, but real men prefer Shee- I mean, dude that's gross
shinnokPs4
05/04/2015 07:55 AM (UTC)
Man I only played MKX story twice and I found myself hating it more. "It runs the family shit" this was family kombat story. Comics are best and MK9 did better. MKX bad guys where jobbers.
shinnokPs4
05/04/2015 08:04 AM (UTC)
Man I only played MKX story twice and I found myself hating it more. "It runs the family shit" this was family kombat story. Comics are best and MK9 did better. MKX bad guys where jobbers.
shaggysorceror
About Me

Look, now Baraka has grown hair and beard! Shit, the time does fly...

05/04/2015 09:07 AM (UTC)
I used to be an ardent fan of MK9 story, but today I tend to think of it as "original in a failed way". It was noticeably fresh and different from the original timeline story AND unnecessarily eccentric and weird and the same aspect. In the long run, I'd say I wish it kinda remained true to old storyline rather than stuffed with Sindel killing 90% of Earthrealm cast, Raiden arbitrarily deploying his "timeline change" powers (not saving Sub Zero from turning into a cyborg while he does save Smoke, not healing Liu Kang while he heals Jax, etc.), Shao Kahn performing a pickaboo, trickster murder on Kung Lao not even challenging him in a duel, Shang Tsung dying because of a silly energy boost thing for Sindel,etc.

That said, I like MKX better. One of the reasons would also be because I prefer Shinnok to Shao Kahn.
MK9 wasn't bad, but it had 3 past games to work around. Maybe because of that (and the nostalgic factor) it felt more rich to a lot of fans.
Though a lot of it was filled with pointless fights (fillers)

Overall...I think MKX's is an improvement over MK9's.

Pages: 2
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.