Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (21.3%)
Jade (42.6%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (26.2%)
Freddy Krueger (9.8%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • December 15th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Limited Console Free Trial [Read On]
  • December 7th, 2017
    Atom Battles Black Manta in Gameplay Trailer [Read On]
  • November 28th, 2017
    Captain Marvel Almost Returned in Injustice Fighter Pack 0 [Read On]
  • November 23rd, 2017
    Mortal Kombat X Mobile - Punk Cassie Challenge [Read On]
  • November 18th, 2017
    Mortal Kombat Funko Store Signing - Sunday [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat X

Discussing Mortal Kombat X and all things Kontemporary to it.
Page of 4

Mick-LuciferPosted: 04/20/2015 03:34 AMStatus ::
The Future of Non-Playable Characters in Mortal Kombat X

As The Kombat Pack makes preparations to unleash its first downloadable guest fighter [Jason] -- many fans are asking questions about the non-playable characters already included in Mortal Kombat X.

Several series favourites appear in cameo & playable forms during the featured story mode, dangling completely rendered character models in front of a rabid fanbase. Fighters such as Rain, Baraka & Tanya can be battled in the mode, possessing simplified move lists devoid of the Character Variations that make Mortal Kombat X stand apart.

PC versions of Mortal Kombat X have opened the game up to greater scrutiny than ever before. Eurogamer reports one modder's efforts to make NPCs playable with a very simple alteration to existing fighter code. XVermillion explained his method on Reddit [below].

There are other files you can change to get stuff like Rain's name under the health Bar but the only files I modded are in the "Assets" folder I believe; there should be 2 associated with Rain (Rain_A.xxx and another one I can't remember but you can just search the folder for Rain).

Anyway, I backed up the files for Shinnok (the character I'm replacing) and renamed Rain's files to match those associated with Shinnok's 1st costume slot (CHAR_Shinnok_A.xxx and one other, the one that matches Rain's other one) and moved 'em to the folder and overwrote Shinnok's old files with the newly renamed Rain files.

What you see is just me playing in training mode with what the game thinks is Shinnok but is using Rain's model and moveset.

The accessibility of content and compatibility modes has led some fans and outlets to accuse the developers of creating a false premise of paid extra content - "on-disc DLC". A claim denied by Creative Director Ed Boon, who shared a sneak peak at DLC production, begun after the game had gone to press.

In an aggressive rebuttal, Boon tweeted to one claim, "Complete BS. We are literally working on DLC now. Next time do your homework Gaming Bolt." The story has since been updated to include an apology for the assumption.

When quizzed by a fan, Boon did acknowledge the potential adaptation of the characters into fully playable fighters, teasing a "Story Pack". Compatibility Pack v1.02 has already included a free Klassic Sub-Zero skin, as well as online compatibility for Kombat Pack Horror DLC.

Would you like to see more Story Mode NPCs released as DLC? Register to share your thoughts on the Mortal Kombat X forum! Share this story & others via @MK_Online & Facebook.

SimeonkalcutPosted: 04/18/2015 04:39 PMStatus ::

Visits::39
Story Pack DLC

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/589469339209826305

KenshiMaster16Posted: 04/18/2015 04:52 PMStatus ::

Visits::10125
Nationality::United States
RE: Story Pack DLC

*yawn* Ed, you're such a troll.

LandoMacPosted: 04/18/2015 04:58 PMStatus ::

Visits::257

I have a love/hate relationship with Ed so much because of this lol.

KenshiMaster16Posted: 04/18/2015 05:15 PMStatus ::

If this does come to fruition, I bet it'd be Fujin, Rain, Li Mei and Bo'.

RainReptilePosted: 04/18/2015 05:19 PMStatus ::

Visits::701

KenshiMaster16 Wrote:

Ed said no MK9 characters as DLC. So I'd think Rain would be replaced by Sareena.

sharefrockPosted: 04/18/2015 05:28 PMStatus ::

Visits::2350
Nationality::Israel

RainReptile Wrote:
KenshiMaster16 Wrote:

Ed said no MK9 characters as DLC. So I'd think Rain would be replaced by Sareena.

Or Baraka.

SamuraiFuryPosted: 04/18/2015 05:33 PMStatus ::

Visits::136

Rain would make them a lot of money. If they make the NPCs playable. You will see Rain be part of the DLC.

SimeonkalcutPosted: 04/18/2015 05:36 PMStatus ::

RainReptile Wrote:
KenshiMaster16 Wrote:

What the same guy that said No mk characters in injustice and that stage fatalities were likely also the same guy who said the boss has never been a boss in a previous mortal kombat before? I dont trust what boon says at all tbh

BiohazardEXTREMEPosted: 04/18/2015 05:42 PMStatus ::

Visits::3390
Nationality::Canada

RainReptile Wrote:
KenshiMaster16 Wrote:

Oh man, Sareena would be awesome!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
SimeonkalcutPosted: 04/18/2015 05:44 PMStatus ::

Fujin defo has to be in the next dlc pack or ed boons soul will go to the nether realm.

Demon_0Posted: 04/18/2015 06:02 PMStatus ::

Visits::4663
Nationality::Afghanistan

What Ed said or didn't say doesn't matter. He's lost a lot of credibility where it comes to his statements. I recall him saying stuff like "the likelihood of stages fatalities is pretty high" and a few more of these statements I can't remember right now. I respect Ed, but sometimes he's full of shit or as some like to call it, "trolling".

Having said that, I would love a Story Pack DLC along with a Kombat Pack 2. The one main complaint I have with the story is that there are a lot of loose ends that aren't addressed and a lot of continuity errors when looking at the comics. Where the fuck is Reiko? What happened to Havik and the whole blood God prophecy that seems to be the core topic of the comics? Why is there literally no word on Cyrax? Why is Goro not in the story? What happened to Fujin after the first chapter? I want all of this to be addressed in a Story Pack DLC. People WILL buy this. I see no reason not to do it.

As for the Kombat Pack 2, I still want Shao Kahn in this game so bad. Just as a playable character for the sake of gameplay, no story related appearance. Then there's Reiko, Havik, Sareena, and Shang Tsung. I'd pay good money for all of the above.

Avatar is part of fanart created by Esau13
Ion3008Posted: 04/18/2015 06:02 PMStatus ::

Visits::8799

Goddamn Eyebrows and his ruses.

Would be great if true though, prrreeetty sure everyone's gotten tired of me bitching about the NPCs being unplayable lol

KenshiMaster16Posted: 04/18/2015 06:07 PMStatus ::

Ion3008 Wrote:

Would be great if true though, prrreeetty sure everyone's gotten tired of me bitching about the NPCs being unplayable lol

Ironically, I don't think all the NPC's are gonna end up playable. I think Baraka and Sindel may sit out while some of the cameos may get it purely to appease all the pissed off 3D fans.

Ion3008Posted: 04/18/2015 06:33 PMStatus ::

KenshiMaster16 Wrote:
Ion3008 Wrote:

Ironically, I don't think all the NPC's are gonna end up playable. I think Baraka and Sindel may sit out while some of the cameos may get it purely to appease all the pissed off 3D fans.

See that's just pitting fans against fans though.

Those pissed off 3Dfans should stay pissed off so that reaction/demand gives NRS the incentive to put your Fujins, Your Bo Rai'Chos, Your Frosts in the next game. With Cage and the old heroes passing it off to their descendants there's going to be a need for more characters along with the new ones and MKX returnees and that's where those improved 3D characters come in.

If they're DLC here whose to say they don't end up like Skarlet or Rain? Forgotten about and passed over in MK11 with no real story relevance whatsoever. I don't want to see Fujin or Frost end up like Skarlet.

And I think it'd be absolutely unfair for the fightable NPCs to stay as NPCs especially Baraka because not only is he an NPC, he gets killed off in an interactive cutscene. Love him or hate him that's a rotten way to dispose of one of your starting characters from MK2.

Let me make this clear. Baraka can sit MKs 11-14 out (I'm all for a new Tarkatan anyway) and I'm alright with that..He should. Well that's what he's going to do anyway So it would be a better idea to make this his last appearance until then.

But to kill off a character and not even have the decency to make that character playable? That's bullshit. Hell Kung Lao did jack shit in storymode but he's in here.

Except Sareena. She's the only one I think should be here right now because there's very little explored with her and her whole story is about Quan-Chi/Shinnok.

If it's gotta be 4 left: Sareena+Rain+Baraka+Sindel. Anything else can wait next game.

KenshiMaster16Posted: 04/18/2015 06:58 PMStatus ::

Ion3008 Wrote:
KenshiMaster16 Wrote:
Ion3008 Wrote:

Those pissed off 3Dfans should stay pissed off so that reaction/demand gives NRS the incentive to put your Fujins, Your Bo Rai'Chos, Your Frosts in the next game. With Cage and the old heroes passing it off to their descendants there's going to be a need for more characters along with the new ones and MKX returnees and that's where those improved 3D characters come in.

If they're DLC here whose to say they don't end up like Skarlet or Rain? Forgotten about and passed over in MK11 with no real story relevance whatsoever. I don't want to see Fujin or Frost end up like Skarlet.

And I think it'd be absolutely unfair for the fightable NPCs to stay as NPCs especially Baraka because not only is he an NPC, he gets killed off in an interactive cutscene. Love him or hate him that's a rotten way to dispose of one of your starting characters from MK2.

Let me make this clear. Baraka can sit MKs 11-14 out (I'm all for a new Tarkatan anyway) and I'm alright with that..He should. Well that's what he's going to do anyway So it would be a better idea to make this his last appearance until then.

But to kill off a character and not even have the decency to make that character playable? That's bullshit. Hell Kung Lao did jack shit in storymode but he's in here.

Except Sareena. She's the only one I think should be here right now because there's very little explored with her and her whole story is about Quan-Chi/Shinnok.

If it's gotta be 4 left: Sareena+Rain+Baraka+Sindel. Anything else can wait next game.

While all this is true, if there IS a Story Pack, I think it's gonna be made up of the characters that seem to be getting the most attention via cameos though, and Rain's the only one out of the bunch getting more traction than the 3D guys. When the game released, there were tweets out the ass about Li Mei, Bo', Fujin & Sareena. The reason I don't think Sindel and Baraka are going to make it is because if anyone else makes it from MK9, it's gonna be a ninja and a cyborg. Those are the two groups most asked for in tweets, not to mention I think NRS fully intends to keep some of the fightable NPC's just NPC's so that people don't blow up their feeds about locked disc content and other stupid bullshit like that.

Not to mention I've heard rumblings of the 4 I mentioned previously. And if you really think Johnny and these guys are passing the torch, you gotta be off your rocker, man. No way in hell NRS are letting them go. Hell, they already set up plans in the endings to keep them around for a long while to come (like I knew they would). This was never a passing the torch installment, just another gimmick they could use to sell copies.

Edit: Just wanna clarify that by rumblings I mean strong rumors and don't mean the same source that told me the Kombat Pack a while ago before anyone asks. lol So no, I don't know anything I'm not supposed to. Time will tell though so it's probably best to keep all options open.

Ion3008Posted: 04/18/2015 07:30 PMStatus ::

What the ending where Johnny Cage secretly finds a mystical youth pool? Yeah that'll totally be a thing for the next game. Only likely thing that might happen is that Shang Tsung comes back but anything else is about as likely as Fire God Liu and the Mysterious Woman from Jade's ending. Edit: I still go check that guy's twitter to see if he owns up to being a bullshitter. Funny thing is his story was more interesting than what we got.

KenshiMaster16Posted: 04/18/2015 07:32 PMStatus ::

Ion3008 Wrote:
What the ending where Johnny Cage secretly finds a mystical youth pool? Yeah that'll totally be a thing for the next game. Only likely thing that might happen is that Shang Tsung comes back but anything else is about as likely as Fire God Liu and the Mysterious Woman from Jade's ending.

LOL True. Although I could see the Kenshi/Takeda thing happening. And I'm sure it'll be skipped over and only mentioned in passing like Sektor as well.

SimeonkalcutPosted: 04/18/2015 07:37 PMStatus ::

Ion3008 Wrote:
KenshiMaster16 Wrote:
Ion3008 Wrote:

Lol 3d fans should stay pissed but you include sareena. Bro if fujin misses out boon is gonna get alot of shit. He was taken out of mk9 and massively hinted in mk x. Plus i doubt fujin would turn into skarlet. Tremor is more likely too run that risk plus fujin is way more demanded than skarlet ever was.

SimeonkalcutPosted: 04/18/2015 07:39 PMStatus ::

Ion3008 Wrote:
KenshiMaster16 Wrote:
Ion3008 Wrote:

Lol plus that 4 are awful and will never sell people hate sindel.

ImperatrixSindelPosted: 04/18/2015 07:39 PMStatus ::

Visits::675

Not everybody! And clearly not NRS, given her prominence in the story mode this time and last time.

SimeonkalcutPosted: 04/18/2015 07:45 PMStatus ::

ImperatrixSindel Wrote:
Not everybody! And clearly not NRS, given her prominence in the story mode this time and last time.

the way she killed off most of the mk9 roster made her hated.

Ion3008Posted: 04/18/2015 07:47 PMStatus ::

Ugh. Well here's hoping the battle with Sektor gets some focus in the comic.

I wouldn't be so pissed off about it if Baraka and Rain were simply in their MK9 gear again. And then there's the issue of Sindel whose the only Revenant both updated and fightable not Smoke not Kabal not Nightwolf just her.

Without that update and change in addition to their MK9 movesets it'd be a perfectly clear sign that they're not coming back in MKX period and to not hold out hope for them.

There's something very cut and dry about it that I like. I was hoping for Sektor and Demon Smoke as DLC but not after seeing them in their outfits from 9. And then to hypothetically put Li Mei in who doesn't do anything the entire story but stand around and exist over those characters who got more screen time and 2 fights max..makes me irritated.

I'm just not looking forward to MK games that have NPCs in new outfits and not playable. For every time we see a glimpse of a character that looks like they might be in the roster there's the possibility they are just NPC fodder and that fucks with a lot of people's hype.

SimeonkalcutPosted: 04/18/2015 07:49 PMStatus ::

Ion3008 Wrote:
Ugh. Well here's hoping the battle with Sektor gets some focus in the comic.

I wouldn't be so pissed off about it if Baraka and Rain were simply in their MK9 gear again. And then there's the issue of Sindel whose the only Revenant both updated and fightable not Smoke not Kabal not Nightwolf just her.

Without that update and change in addition to their MK9 movesets it'd be a perfectly clear sign that they're not coming back in MKX period and to not hold out hope for them.

There's something very cut and dry about it that I like. I was hoping for Sektor and Demon Smoke as DLC but not after seeing them in their outfits from 9. And then to hypothetically put Li Mei in who doesn't do anything the entire story but stand around and exist over those characters who got more screen time and 2 fights max..makes me irritated.

I'm just not looking forward to MK games that have NPCs in new outfits and not playable. For every time we see a glimpse of a character that looks like they might be in the roster there's the possibility they are just NPC fodder and that fucks with a lot of people's hype.

Rain will be in, fujin defo will be in very demanded. Baraka maybe then sareena

Ion3008Posted: 04/18/2015 07:57 PMStatus ::

Simeonkalcut Wrote:
Ion3008 Wrote:
KenshiMaster16 Wrote:
Ion3008 Wrote:

Lol 3d fans should stay pissed but you include sareena. Bro if fujin misses out boon is gonna get alot of shit. He was taken out of mk9 and massively hinted in mk x. Plus i doubt fujin would turn into skarlet. Tremor is more likely too run that risk plus fujin is way more demanded than skarlet ever was.

yes yes Fujin is a totally awesome god and better than Raiden, this is known.

But I include Sareena because if she's going to be relevant at all as well as playable it has to be in MKX.

Fujin should be in the next one considering Raiden is taking a dark turn for the future and Fujin finally has the chance to step up.

Page of 4

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.