joshyboyjk19
04/26/2015 06:03 PM (UTC)
Check out this youtube channel! There's all finishers being released for every character! Here's Ermacs! http://youtu.be/jYsFt5LAHug
Sindel798
04/26/2015 06:17 PM (UTC)
I like the roster of MK9 better overall. Sindel, Kabal, Jade, Rain, Smoke, and Stryker were all there and they are some of my favorites. MKXs roster is ok, I love that Shinnok and Tanya are back and all the newbies are awesome, but the roster isnt diverse enough. Jax, Sonya, Johnny, Cassie, Jacqui, etc. Just too many Special Forces characters. No Fujin, Li Mei or Bo Rai Cho was a huge disappointment for me.

Overall, MKX is the better game. The gameplay is better and the story is too.
Randwulf
04/26/2015 09:28 PM (UTC)
MKX is not finished, yet. Have to wait until they milk their $ before giving a verdict on which game is better. The only aspect I can give a verdict on is MK9 story mode > MKX story mode. I am embarrassed for NRS that a green family aura is the key to defeating an elder god, then a super elder god. Guess Raiden better start making babies with Cassie to produce demi-gods that can actually protect the Earth realm, ey? 0 out of 10 for story mode, that is for sure. MK9 had females that looked like they still had dollar bills in their g-strings. I will say MKX did a better job on making more realistic females. Some new characters are great, some are ho-hum, and some returning characters are perplexing wastes of space. MKX has better graphics, more detailed gore, and the variation system copies World of Warcraft to let the player decide which alteration of the character you want to play as most, which I applaud, though some variations are clearly better than others... just like WoW. Months from now, when the game is fully finished, we will know which is better overall. But, we have to wait for the now standard "oops, we ran out of time so buy our dlc" routine to run its course. I yearn for a return to the days when games were not released until they were actually done. Aside from his awesome entrance in story mode, I still feel like they missed another opportunity to make him a super bad-ass. Instead, he is basically turned in to the Joker + Darkseid. Seems NRS had some trouble remembering what made MK an MK game, and still had too much Injustice on their minds when it came to story and characters.
kennytwerking
04/26/2015 11:26 PM (UTC)
Before MKX came out i thought the graphics and art direction looked a little off but the more i played it, the more i came to realize it made MK9's graphics look like shit lol! Also the redesign of characters now makes me feel weird when i look at footage of MK9.

Like back when MK9 was out, i never thought anything of the females looking slutty or anything because it was so prevalent in past MK games that i thought of it as normal wow. But now i find characters in MK9 like Mileena ridiculous lol! She looked so trashy and i cant believe nobody complained about her mouth! It looked so stupid >_< thank god they gave her lips in MKX.

The only thing i would say is better than MKX is MK9's story. It felt more complete and interesting. In MKX it seems the story hypes you up until chapter 7 where it all goes downhill and bores the shit outta the audiencesleep
DragonVenom
04/26/2015 11:54 PM (UTC)
It's still too close to tell for me at this point.

I enjoyed the story, cast and features more in MK9 but because of the poor online gameplay I stopped playing it after a little more than a month.

MKX has better gameplay and slightly better netcode, but they went too far in with all of the Towers features, the storyline is not great, cast is somewhat wasted.

Also there is less mystery in the current game than any of the previous titles, like they did not try to build up that aspect at all. I am hoping with a steady stream of updates and weekly changes with the living towers we might get something unexpected.

But as I've learned with the last title, any time Boon says "We can always do it later" means they won't do it.
unleash_your_tounge
About Me

"Life, for all it's anguish, is ours Miss Ives. It belongs to no other." - Ferdinand Lyle

04/27/2015 01:31 AM (UTC)
Demon_0 Wrote:
MKX is better in every single way

Bam.

I appreciate the fan service that was MK9, but you can tell they had a lot more fun with MKX.

It's good to know the series hasn't gotten stale for them, reinvigorated even, and I get the feeling they're just as excited as we are for the next installment. They seem to finally have a grip on where to take the series next, and how to take it there.
BADASS6669
About Me

Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is forgiven, so Sex is in.

I kill people for a living. Get over it.

04/27/2015 02:18 AM (UTC)
Only category MK9 wins is surprises and Unloclables

BABEALITIES were kept a secret until the leaks

Cyber Sub-Zero and Quan Chi were unlocked

Story mode death chapter was a huge surprise

Secret Tower fights verse Jade, Noob, Smoke & Reptile

Secret bugs in the Krypt

NRS seems to have spent more time on the MK9 Endings then MKX

MKX>>>>>>> MK9

SaurienDeity
04/27/2015 02:31 AM (UTC)
MK9 had the better roster, but MKX was just better in terms of gameplay, story, characters, etc.
CODE_umb87
04/27/2015 02:56 AM (UTC)
SaurienDeity Wrote:
MK9 had the better roster etc.

This. I'm all for new characters, but the whole "family" theme they had going on simply wasted roster spots that could have been for other characters like Li Mei and Fujin to add variety. Sorry but there's no need for Cassie and her parents as well as Jacqui and her dad to all be in the same game. Also considering Kitana and Liu Kang had almost nothing to do with the story until literally the last second they could have been saved for DLC while Tanya and Rain (who had more screen time then they did) could have made the roster.
Ninja_Mime
04/27/2015 03:12 AM (UTC)
I'm no hardcore player, but MKX feels a lot better than MK9 in terms of mechanics. Variations are a great addition, interactive environments are very cool, running finally returns, and Brutalities are a really smart feature.

The roster -- while not perfect -- is the best since Deadly Alliance. The new characters are strong and well developed, and considering that it's been 11 years since we last saw an MK game with a bunch of NEW characters, it's incredibly refreshing.

The character design is so much better than MK9 it's ridiculous. There were a few good redesigns in MK9 but for the most part I can't stand it. MKX toned down the color palette a lot (Very bleak looking game overall), but made up for it by delivering the best costume design since the 3D era. Tasteful, practical, stylish.

Story mode has also improved. I struggled with MK9 simply due to the fact that it was a reboot, so all of the arbitrary retcons did not help it one bit. While there was some cool stuff in MK9, overall it was a mess of nonsensical fan service. MKX isn't flawless, but at least it's consistent with itself and doesn't trip all over itself for shock value. The acting and cinematography (if that's what you'd call it) is much improved as well.

I thought that MK9 was a step in the right direction as far as gameplay and presentation goes but the whole thing left a really bad taste in my mouth. MKX has its own issues but I think it's a much better realized game. I'm excited about MK again.
RyanSeabass
04/27/2015 04:13 AM (UTC)
unleash_your_tounge Wrote:
Demon_0 Wrote:
MKX is better in every single way

Bam.

I appreciate the fan service that was MK9, but you can tell they had a lot more fun with MKX.

It's good to know the series hasn't gotten stale for them, reinvigorated even, and I get the feeling they're just as excited as we are for the next installment. They seem to finally have a grip on where to take the series next, and how to take it there.

My thoughts exactly. glasses
lanoitarnu
About Me

What

04/27/2015 05:13 AM (UTC)
I think MK9 has the better story, and it's not even much better I'm just still disappointed with the MKX story. The gameplay is so much better in MKX and I fucking love brutalities. I do miss just a regular challenge tower though. I like the living towers but some of the stuff in MK9 challenge tower like the final challenge was a lot more fun than any of the stuff that's been in MKX towers.
BiohazardEXTREME
04/27/2015 05:45 AM (UTC)
I just miss the little what-if scenarios of the challenge tower. Like Mileena wanting to give Scorpion a Teddy Bear, or different "reenactments" of popular fights from the franchise. Things like that were the best part of the challenge tower. And now that the intros are fully voiced and animated, putting stuff like that in would've made them so much better.
Ah well.
tothepit
04/27/2015 08:56 AM (UTC)
I'm glad they made a different game from the last as I don't want the same thing twice.

X's gameplay has more fluidity and I love the stage interaction. Stuffing someones face into the font is funny stuff. It's a great game. The krypt is fun. Story's soppy bollocks.

But..
Sindel, Sheeva, Cyrax, Shang Tsung, Nightwolf, Jade, Kabal, Kratos... Iove those characters and, most importantly, want to win with them. Cassie and co I'm indifferent. Actually I see them like 'lambs to the slaughter' kids in a slasher movie. Gonna have to buy Jason...

So 9 wins for the characters alone, but it's best to have a change.
steffuz
04/27/2015 01:34 PM (UTC)
mk9 was better story wise . mkx has better graphics for sure but what to expect when its been 4 years or so between them. mk9 had better roster . mkx is decent but not as good as mk9 was when it came to surprises and such .
lanoitarnu
About Me

What

04/27/2015 02:33 PM (UTC)
BiohazardEXTREME Wrote:
I just miss the little what-if scenarios of the challenge tower. Like Mileena wanting to give Scorpion a Teddy Bear, or different "reenactments" of popular fights from the franchise. Things like that were the best part of the challenge tower. And now that the intros are fully voiced and animated, putting stuff like that in would've made them so much better.
Ah well.

Yea the dumb fun challenges like that and the ones that were like you vs Goro and Kintaro are what I miss from the challenge tower.
moneyguy
04/27/2015 05:24 PM (UTC)
You can't just compare the two side by side. MKX has a lot more available to it than MK2011 did.

So not based on graphics and things like variations, I think MK2011 is a better game. IMO it wasn't missing anything, not a whole lot of gimmicks to it, and it really felt like a return to what Mortal Kombat is.

While MKX looks better, I think that MK2011 was a better Mortal Kombat game. MKX is so stuffed with things, that it is missing a lot of things.
BiohazardEXTREME
04/27/2015 10:06 PM (UTC)
Honestly, a big factor with me that took major points away from MK9 was just how cheap Shao Kahn was. Yes, he's the big bad emperor, he's supposed to be tough, but I still want the fight against him to feel like a FIGHT. Instead, it felt like beating against a brick wall that shoots projectiles at you, even on normal difficulty. It just didn't feel like Kombat. Projectiles didn't cause him to recoil at all, he spams his own projectile attacks, it just wasn't fun. Honestly, probably the LEAST fun boss fight out of any MK I've ever played, aside from Shaolin Monks, where, again, fighting against Kahn just didn't feel like an actual fight.
Korrupted Shinnok was so much better of a final boss. Fighting against him was challenging, and epic, but still felt like an actual fight.
I just think the AI in MKX is way better, and personally, I mostly play single player mode, so for me that's a big factor.
Blade4693
04/27/2015 10:10 PM (UTC)
I do kind of hope they add some sort of endurance matches in the Living Towers, that would be pretty cool. Idk why I thought it would be a given to include them, its not like tag where you have to give them tag specials and shit, just make it so when the first life bar depletes the character explodes and another one jumps in from off screen, that cant be that hard to do, can it?
Tukisimavi
04/27/2015 11:10 PM (UTC)
Honnestly... MK9.

MKX is better graphicly.. but I find the pace of MK9 to be better. Faster (to start a game).
The overall experience is for me more fun, more complete.

However... newcommers like D'vorah, Kung Jin and Kotal makes MKX the reason why I go back to it.
Other wise... the game is already kinda dead for me.
:S
LikeWall32
04/28/2015 10:17 AM (UTC)
MK9... I hate the Variations in MKX... Always hated the multiple styles from the 3D era and was so glad they went back to the Mortal Kombat style of 1 move list... Then they had to go and fuck it up again in MKX with the 3 variations...

MKX - Graphics
MKX - Finishers
MK9 - 1 fighting style
MK9 - Roster
MK9 - Arenas
MK9 - Story
MK9 - Secrets
MK9 - Bosses (MKX Goro doesnt even make sense - quit milking this guy)

MK9 wasnt rushed... MKX seems like they started off with good intentions in mind and had great potential, then threw everything together & half-assed it at the end
alican_zero
About Me

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Sindel-142946721

04/28/2015 10:46 AM (UTC)
9MK9 wins over MKX in terms of story,tag team tower,ARENAS!!! and roster.Moreover MK9's ladder is much better Shang Tsung, Kintaro/Goro are the sub-bosses and Shao Kahn is a great boss and we have the tag ladder!

On the other hand MKX has only Shinnok(Corrupted) ! as a Boss which is a lack compared to MK9 and roster would be better if they had added post mk trilogy characters,there are too many special forces characters and I was like playing Battlefield-CoD or something which sucks!!!furious
trynax
About Me

717313=Rain Can Be Found In The Graveyard

04/29/2015 02:23 AM (UTC)
Honestly call me old fashion but I would prefer a game like MK9 with the graphics we see in MKX. I don't like the Faction Kills or the variations either and to me it seems this isn't a truely dedicated MK game as far as what we've seen in past MK games. Are there any "real" hidden fighters and not secret hidden battles against playable roster characters or the boss? Are there any true Pits at all? Working at a place where we get video game returns for various reasons surprises me when I see more of this game coming in than any other newer game that has been released. It seems that MK just isn't MK anymore but watching videos it looks and plays a lot like a combination of Injustice (of course designed by the same studio) and Killer Instinct. Brutalities are just like the Ultra Combos we see in KI in a different way. It seems the packed too much into each one of the selectable fighters they ran out of time to do anything we as MK gamers like other than the finishers and that is the hidden Easter eggs. The Reptile Easter egg in MKX really isn't an Easter egg because isn't Reptile on the roster? So I'd prefer the MK9 game over this one in a heartbeat for gameplay value. The graphics are the only thing in MKX that I like and the boss was WAY TOO predictable. There was no surprising return character. I hope they do away with these variations in MK11 and go back to the basics that MK9 had.
futuretime23
04/29/2015 02:30 AM (UTC)
for the record,you can play without variations in MKX,press Up when you are selecting a variation,to hide the variation select,then press Y/Triangle to cancel the variation select. Paulo Garcia already confirmed it's indeed possible to do so.
moneyguy
04/29/2015 02:47 AM (UTC)
futuretime23 Wrote:
for the record,you can play without variations in MKX,press Up when you are selecting a variation,to hide the variation select,then press Y/Triangle to cancel the variation select. Paulo Garcia already confirmed it's indeed possible to do so.

Playing without a variation means you are playing with the generic moveset, which typically feels incomplete. For some characters this works but others it does not.
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.