Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
MK Online Site Updates
  • July 19th, 2018
    Review: Injustice vs. Masters of the Universe #1 [Read On]
  • July 18th, 2018
    Lost Kontent: Tobias Shares MKvDC Comic Art & MK4 Reptile [Read On]
  • July 17th, 2018
    John Tobias to Feature on Comic-Con Digitized Graphics Panel [Read On]
  • July 15th, 2018
    Ed Boon Avatar Change Sparks MK/DC Fan Speculation [Read On]
  • July 13th, 2018
    James Wan & Ed Boon Rebuff False Movie Reports [Read On]

MK Online User Poll

Round 3: FIGHT!
Kitana (55%)
Sindel (45%)

Forum Listings

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat X

Discussing Mortal Kombat X and all things Kontemporary to it.
Page of 2

Mick-LuciferPosted: 05/13/2015 08:58 AMStatus ::
MKX DLC: Is Jean-Claude Van Damme Next?

High kick doyen Jean-Claude Van Damme has been back in the news with his re-enactment of his Kickboxer dance scene during Conan. The appearance clearly caught Mortal Kombat X Creative Director Ed Boon's attention. Following the appearance, he floated the concept of introducing the eighties & nineties action star as an in-game skin:

The idea isn't as silly as it sounds for a couple of reasons. Primarily: Carl Weathers is already slated to join the game as one of the bonus skins included with The Kombat Pack The Rocky & Predator star will "play" Jax, included with playable guest character: Predator.

A body of work that includes films like Bloodsport, The Quest, Street Fighter & Double Impact more than qualifies Van Damme for invitation to the Mortal Kombat tournament, but the ties go deeper. Industry lore has it that Van Damme was considered for a licensing crossover with the game that would become Mortal Kombat. Series co-creator John Tobias explained in an interview with Mortal Kombat Online:

When the game was still merely an idea in our heads, we thought that it would be necessary to attach a license to the project to justify its existence to our management. I believe Roger Sharpe (famous pinball aficionado and historian), who handled Midway's licensing deals at the time, was approached by a movie studio with Van Damme's Universal Soldier film as a possible game tie-in.

We envisioned Van Damme's involvement as a character in our game's story, or as playing himself in the game. That deal didn't pan out and we simply moved on.

Comparisons between Jean-Claude and the similarly initialled MK action star Johnny Cage make it easy to conceive of a JCVD skin. If you aren't quite sold on it, you may want to check out a fan-made Bloodsport/Mortal Kombat mash-up!

Like it? Don't like it? Register to share your thoughts on the Mortal Kombat X forum! Support the site by following and sharing stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

DetoxPosted: 05/12/2015 07:29 PMStatus ::

Visits::4281
Nationality::United States
Ed Boon teases Jean Claude Van Damme skin.

Yeah, yeah, troll Boon and his Twitter. I know. If you know even a tiny bit about the history of this franchise, than even the slightest possibility that this could happen is damn cool.

Boon teased him as a skin for Johnny Cage(of course) after mentioning having Carl Weathers as a skin for Jax.

Join with me in the hype, even if its all speculation at this point.

There are bigger sacrifices one might be asked to make than going a little mad.
Dragon Points:
Blade4693Posted: 05/12/2015 07:33 PMStatus ::

Visits::3252
RE: Ed Boon teases Jean Claude Van Damme skin.

Lol I just saw this and man I would love that, that would be amazing!

KillamorePosted: 05/12/2015 09:28 PMStatus ::

Visits::2146

Would be an awesome idea for a tribute. Johnny himself looks very Bruce Campbell in MKX, so a JCVD skin would be different enough to be a cool new skin.

SJWMegatronPosted: 05/12/2015 10:11 PMStatus ::

Visits::721

The "Jean Claude Van Damme" skin is the production art for Raiden's Temple. It's one of the paintings of past Earthrealm warriors.

Aquarius_DPosted: 05/12/2015 11:43 PMStatus ::

Visits::6736
Nationality::Malaysia

SJWMegatron Wrote:
The "Jean Claude Van Damme" skin is the production art for Raiden's Temple. It's one of the paintings of past Earthrealm warriors.

OMG really, I was wondering about that painting

and Yes to JCVD skin with his own voice please

photo Aquarius_D_Power_Girl.png
AgentKPosted: 05/12/2015 11:51 PMStatus ::

Visits::54
Nationality::Finland

Holy shit. Please let this happen.

Big JCVD fan here.

Rai-DiddyPosted: 05/13/2015 03:25 AMStatus ::

Visits::1032

Shut up and take my damme money! Seriously, it would be the only skin I'd ever use, especially if Johnny had a Belgian accent.

Dennis1980Posted: 05/13/2015 03:25 AMStatus ::

Visits::131
Nationality::Netherlands

Yeah that would be so cool !!

CISISPosted: 05/13/2015 04:28 AMStatus ::

Visits::566

why not finally just release his mk1 skin, avoid copy right ....

oh thats right, boons 2 busy giving scoprion 90 skins an raping the story hahahahah

Darkmage41Posted: 05/13/2015 04:43 AMStatus ::

Visits::916
Nationality::Australia

Isnt the JCVD skin going to be with the predator pack? Commando Cage or did they have another dlc pack in mind.

-
KillamorePosted: 05/13/2015 06:16 AMStatus ::

Visits::2146

Darkmage41 Wrote:
Isnt the JCVD skin going to be with the predator pack? Commando Cage or did they have another dlc pack in mind.

Commando Cage will probably have Arnold's costume, I'm assuming. Johnny wearing the muddy face paint and torn up uniform.

whatuknowaboutMK?Posted: 05/13/2015 06:44 AMStatus ::

Visits::543

Detox Wrote:
Yeah, yeah, troll Boon and his Twitter. I know. If you know even a tiny bit about the history of this franchise, than even the slightest possibility that this could happen is damn cool.

Boon teased him as a skin for Johnny Cage(of course) after mentioning having Carl Weathers as a skin for Jax.

Join with me in the hype, even if its all speculation at this point.

Jumping on the hype train!

This would be so freakin cool! Chong Li skin for Liu Kang too please! That way that "Liu Kang's face when he sees Raiden" meme would be legit LMAO

Winter is Coming A Lanister always pays his debts You know nothing Jon Snow! We do not sow! Valar Morghulis
johnny_cage_winPosted: 05/13/2015 09:34 AMStatus ::

Visits::2405

Yes yes yes yes yes! For those who don't know, Johnny Cage was the first character Midway came up with for Mortal Kombat. He was originally supposed to be played by Van Damme, though they hardly ever admit this anymore (probably due to royalty reasons). Just look at Cage's MK one outfit and tell us it's not inspired by JCVD's Bloodsport outfit.

This would be amazing, finally seeing Van Damme as Cage. This whole JCVD/JC behind-the-scenes story is one of the big reasons Cage has always been my favorite. Make this happen, Boon!

MINIONPosted: 05/13/2015 10:20 AMStatus ::

Visits::11469

johnny_cage_win Wrote:
Yes yes yes yes yes! For those who don't know, Johnny Cage was the first character Midway came up with for Mortal Kombat. He was originally supposed to be played by Van Damme, though they hardly ever admit this anymore (probably due to royalty reasons). Just look at Cage's MK one outfit and tell us it's not inspired by JCVD's Bloodsport outfit.

This would be amazing, finally seeing Van Damme as Cage. This whole JCVD/JC behind-the-scenes story is one of the big reasons Cage has always been my favorite. Make this happen, Boon!

Jean Claude / Johnny Cage JC / JC the low blow punch from Bloodsport to the sumo Johnnys punch. I knew instantly who JC was as a kid. Infact I thought the character was taken from bloodsport as a kid and put into the game. I didn't know about copyright and stuff like I did as I got older lol. So yes Johnny was the most recognizeable.

The blood and fatalities did make mk more popular yes. But it was the character inspiration that made it shine.

Raiden (Big Trouble in Little China)
Johnny Cage (Blood Sport)
Kano (Terminator)
Liu Kang (Bruce Lee)
Sonya (Sarah Connor / Terminator)

So id like to thank Hollywood for most of mk's early on character insperation success.

Groundbreaking Debut | You[Tube] | deviantART | Twitter
Aquarius_DPosted: 05/13/2015 10:57 AMStatus ::

Visits::6736
Nationality::Malaysia

MINION Wrote:

Kano (Terminator)

Liu Kang (Bruce Lee)

So id like to thank Hollywood for most of mk's early on character insperation success.

I wouldn't mind a Linda Hamilton T2 Terminator Skin for Sonya

photo Aquarius_D_Power_Girl.png
sonicherosfan1Posted: 05/13/2015 11:38 AMStatus ::

Visits::2646

Fun fact. Jcvd, did play the predator at one point.

frabnPosted: 05/13/2015 11:49 AMStatus ::

Visits::635

This would be kinda cool - stick him in the Bloodsport outfit, and it's not only JCVD as Cage, but also an homage to both Bloodsport and Johnny's MK1 outfit.

Well, you all got your Tremor now. Can we finally move on?
gigglesPosted: 05/13/2015 12:48 PMStatus ::

Visits::244
Nationality::Romania

frabn Wrote:
This would be kinda cool - stick him in the Bloodsport outfit, and it's not only JCVD as Cage, but also an homage to both Bloodsport and Johnny's MK1 outfit.

Yes yes and yes!

ezgif 790745928
Jenafella56Posted: 05/13/2015 01:12 PMStatus ::

Visits::9

CISIS Wrote:
why not finally just release his mk1 skin, avoid copy right ....

oh thats right, boons 2 busy giving scoprion 90 skins an raping the story hahahahah

Hahahahahaha.....no

Jenafella56Posted: 05/13/2015 01:13 PMStatus ::

Visits::9
RE: MKX DLC: Is Jean-Claude Van Damme Next?

But I would love to see the Bloodsport outfit

johnny_cage_winPosted: 05/13/2015 02:51 PMStatus ::

Visits::2405

MINION Wrote:
johnny_cage_win Wrote:

Jean Claude / Johnny Cage JC / JC the low blow punch from Bloodsport to the sumo Johnnys punch. I knew instantly who JC was as a kid. Infact I thought the character was taken from bloodsport as a kid and put into the game. I didn't know about copyright and stuff like I did as I got older lol. So yes Johnny was the most recognizeable.

The blood and fatalities did make mk more popular yes. But it was the character inspiration that made it shine.

Kano (Terminator)

Liu Kang (Bruce Lee)

Agreed on all points. Big Trouble in Little China Raiden and Bruce Lee Liu Kang were the other two I immediately noticed back in the 90s. Such fun being a kid back then.

KoldKombatPosted: 05/13/2015 05:00 PMStatus ::

Visits::731
Nationality::Canada

Hate this idea personally. Same with Carl Jax. I do not play this game to play as real-life actors playing characters. Predator & Jason? Ok cool, those are full fledged characters with no other identity. Jax dressed as Dillon even makes sense. But why are we using actors now? Whats next, Kate Middleton as Kitana and Clayton Moore as Erron Black?!?!?

So much passion it seems for guests spots than actual MK characters.

The_TooCool_MasterPosted: 05/13/2015 05:04 PMStatus ::

Visits::2368
Nationality::Canada

It depends. I assume they couldn't use Johnny Cage's MK1 costume with JCVD's face for copyrights reason unless they go out and get the rights to Bloodsport.

It it comes down to the wire, I'd rather get MK1 Johnny Cage than MK2 Johnny Cage with JCVD's face.

That being said, if they can actually pull it off, MK1 Johnny Cage with JCVD's face(but keeping Cage's voice) would be awesome.

Stephen_DreadPosted: 05/13/2015 06:42 PMStatus ::

Visits::983

Dunno if anyone remembers, but Johnny pretty much had JCVD's face in MK2011. I was only a bit surprised that they didn't keep that for MKX, but now it looks like we'll (probably) get it back. Awesomeness!

-
Page of 2

© 1998-2018 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.