How do I git gud with Reptile in MKX?
posted12/03/2015 03:13 PM (UTC)by
[Killswitch]
About Me

Shao Kahn did nothing wrong

Title says it all. I'm trying to pick up reptile to use as a secondary, but I just can't cook up anything decent with him in practice. Any pro reptile players have any tips or basics for me they'd like to share?
unleash_your_tounge
About Me

"Life, for all it's anguish, is ours Miss Ives. It belongs to no other." - Ferdinand Lyle

07/08/2015 06:13 PM (UTC)
Reptile is a high risk, high reward character if I ever saw one. He has some safe strings, but most (if not, all) of his specials are punishable on block. I'm no expert with him yet, but I'm actually coming around and have been majorly improving so I'll help as best as I can.

1, 2 and 3, 4 can be your saving grace, because both of those will allow you to open up the opponent and string in with his fast force ball. I'd suggest FK, BK, force ball if you're looking for more damage. Once you get the hang of timing, you can quickly follow that fast force ball with a slow one to keep the juggle going into a neutral jump punch.

When I started, I left out the slow force ball just to get the feel for his juggle timing first. Still use a neutral jump punch though. After that, his buffed Scaly Serpent (-> 3,
Slime Trail (-> 4, 1, 2) is also a decent ender, followed by his Slide. 2,1,2,4 is also good if you're adept at using the run feature to catch up with the opponent after you send them flying.

This is just about the best I can come up with without using any meter (ranging from 23%-29%, I can update later with the exacts), but even still, that's when all the fun and high damage comes into play. But ATM I must run, so I'll be back later to update this for ya.

One last thing - enhanced Swamp Slam (-> 2, 1, 1+2) will also be your best friend. Feel free to try ending the aforementioned combos with it for more damage/juggle potential. Good luck! tongue
[Killswitch]
About Me

07/08/2015 06:50 PM (UTC)
I've also forgot to mention I've been using his Nimble variation. Haven't picked up the other two, (I'm picky with his Deceptive variation because I just hate how he looks without the mask lel) but these are some good pointers, man. Thanks. I can't wait until you post more.
unleash_your_tounge
About Me

"Life, for all it's anguish, is ours Miss Ives. It belongs to no other." - Ferdinand Lyle

07/10/2015 01:52 AM (UTC)
Now that's where I don't think I'll be much help...yet, lol. I also prefer Nimble most of the time, but it's honestly because I like the snake belt. I haven't quite mastered the whole Basilisk trip and I rarely use it. From my experience so far, EX Basilisk is the way to go if you must use it due to it's extremely low startup (-71) (-36 for EX). -> 4, 1, 2 into Basilisk is how I get the ball rolling if I decide to use it. However, that will leave you wide open for your opponent's wake up attack.

Another option would be to create some distance with a different combo, force ball on their wake up to make them block and that should give you more time to execute the move. But, once I toy around with that special a bit more, I can let you know what else I come up with.

Other than that, here are some combos with the same starting chain (without super meter) that I use, just switching up the combo ender (+2% damage to all combos when starting with a jump punch)-

3, 4, fast force ball, slow force ball, neutral jump punch, 3, 4, Klaw Swipe. (27%), (29% with JP)

3, 4, fast force ball, slow force ball, neutral jump punch, -> 2, 1, 1+2. (27%), (29% with JP)

3, 4, fast force ball, slow force ball, neutral jump punch, -> 3,
Corner combos -

-> 4, 1, 2, fast force ball, neutral jump punch, -> 3,
2, 1, 2, 4, neutral jump punch, -> 4, 1, 2, Klaw Pounce. (27%), (29% with JP)

Alrighty, now for the big damage kahunas using super meter -

-> 4, 1, 2, EX fast force ball, slow force ball, neutral jump punch, -> 2, 1, 1+2, R2/RT to enhance, -> 3,
3, 4, fast force ball, slow force ball, neutral jump punch, 3, 4, EX Klaw Slash, -> 2, 1, 1+2, R2/RT to enhance, -> 3,
This next one is tricky. You'll be switching directions mid-combo using his Reptilian Dash, so be wary of your required directional inputs. wink

-> 4, 1, 2, Reptilian Dash, 4. (37%), (39% with JP)

I think this might just do it for ya. These are my main squeezes so far, but like I said, I'm still trying to utilize his full potential. I'm sure Basilisk would help, but I just haven't adjusted to the change of pace that move brings.

Hope this helps, and once again, good luck! smile
unleash_your_tounge
About Me

09/09/2015 12:32 AM (UTC)
How's the Reptile play going, friend?

You still with Nimble? Because those Deceptive buffs were hella nice lol. I honestly wouldn't mind him being maskless if they would just remove the damned funny looking hoods as well.

Anywho, at this point I feel very confident (and proud) in saying that he's finally my main. It took a while, but I feel like I'm finally there. Learned a lot since my OP, so I'd like to go ahead and say 3,4 is fairly impractical unless you're using it for a punish.

Aside from that, if you wanted some more tips or advice, ask away! And I'll go more in depth in editing my original statements. smile Also, I have quite a few new combos that are extremely useful and, for the most part, are better than what I originally posted.
[Killswitch]
About Me

12/03/2015 03:13 PM (UTC)
Sorry for taking 20 years to reply to this but it's been going solid. He's definitely one of my secondary characters if I get a little tired of Kano and I'm not as bad as I was thanks to those pointers with the kicks you showed me.

Been having a blast playing as best ninja again.
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.