Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 1 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Round 1: FIGHT!
Sonya Blade (14.2%)
Nightwolf (85.7%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • May 22nd, 2017
    Injustice 2: Fighter Pack 1 Character Renders [Read On]
  • May 18th, 2017
    Oren Uziel Discusses Mortal Kombat Movie Script [Read On]
  • May 16th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Officially Released Today! [Read On]
  • May 16th, 2017
    Ed Boon Discusses Injustice 2 Development & Content [Read On]
  • May 15th, 2017
    Early Release Reveals Six Injustice 2 Premier Skins [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Media & Merchandise

Discussing Mortal Kombat in Movies, Television, New Media and Merchandising.
Page of 2

Mick-LuciferPosted: 08/08/2015 01:23 AMStatus ::
Furious 7 Director James Wan to Produce Mortal Kombat Movie

The path back to cinemas has been long and hard for the once lucrative Mortal Kombat. A theatrical return has long been discussed, but struggles to exit development hell have waned amidst experimental webseries, and changes in culture.

The movie may have received its best backing to date, with The Tracking Board reporting Saw and Insidious director James Wan will join the film as Producer.

Wan is in hot demand of late, working his way from low budget horror to the pinnacle of Hollywood action blockbusters with this year's Furious 7. He's already attached to direct Warner Brother's 2018 superhero franchise builder: Aquaman, with Jason Momoa in the title role. Past Producer credits include the first five Saw sequels.

The Tracking Board cites Oren Uziel (MK: Legacy) and Dave Callaham (Doom) as script writers. The plot remains tangentially related to the fiction of the hugely successful video game series, centering around a "seemingly harmless guy" who discovers his hidden powers, and uses them to enter the tournament. The film has reportedly been described by the studio as "a departure from the mythology" featuring "darker, brutally real martial arts."

Deviations from the games fit previous plot reports, and the work seen in live-action webseries Mortal Kombat: Legacy. Web director Kevin Tancharoen was previously involved in taking his vision to the big screen, but exited the project in October, 2013 [full story].

Mortal Kombat is underway with New Line Cinema and Broken Road Productions (Paul Blart: Mall Cop, Knight and Day). This month marks the 20th anniversary of the first New Line distributed Mortal Kombat movie.

[Related Article: From Sprite to Screen: Mortal Kombat versus the Movies]

Register to follow and discuss the Mortal Kombat movie in the Media & Merchandise forum. Support the kommunity by liking and sharing updates via @MK_Online, Facebook & YouTube.

krajaxPosted: 08/08/2015 02:12 AMStatus ::

Visits::2987
Nationality::United States
RE: Furious 7 Director James Wan to Produce Mortal Kombat Movie

Oh boy can't wait how this goes... I'm keeping low expectations until the trailer comes out. Not very confident of the choice of the writers.

KenshiMaster16Posted: 08/08/2015 04:16 AMStatus ::

Visits::10061

I like Wan and what he's done thus far with his career. If he's involved, it'll definitely be dark and I think that's a good thing given where the franchise has gone as of late.

Will stay skeptical but optimistic.

ShinnokxzPosted: 08/08/2015 04:44 AMStatus ::

Visits::3438
Nationality::Zimbabwe

Different directors and producers have been attached the the idea of a follow up movie for as long as I can remember. This usually doesn't ever mean anything in terms of getting the greenlight from a distributor, especially if that distributor happens to be New Line Cinema (didn't even know they still are around).

AJBluePosted: 08/08/2015 09:44 AMStatus ::

Visits::5121

I just don't think enough people care anymore for it to really matter. The martial arts film boom that was big several years ago is over and it's been close to 18 years since Annihilation.

"Sin City" was a highly successful surprise hit. People were clamoring for more movies. It took 9 years for "A Dame to Kill For" to hit the big screen and is considered a pretty big box office failure (despite comic based movies still being fairly popular).

If you don't stay in people's minds, interest wanes and you're forgotten. Movies based on video games are rarely good nor are they typically highly regarded/reviewed. I just don't see a movie based on video game revitalizing the currently dead martial arts film genre.

ViserPosted: 08/08/2015 11:50 AMStatus ::

Visits::4672
Nationality::Ukraine

I just hope the casting is better, and the plot isn't focused on Kang, SOnya,Kitana only with thebarely any screen time for Sub-Zero, Scorpion etc.

Also dont cast some 20 year old k pop model to play sub-Zero ffs. Scott Adkins would be a great choice to play him.

Sig by the one and only MINION
Subzerofan77Posted: 08/08/2015 12:04 PMStatus ::

Visits::348

This Is A 5th Time We All Heard Of A New Mortal Kombat Movie A It Has All Fallen Through Like A Fissure During An Earthquake. I Hope For The Hearts Of All The Mortal Kombat Of This Skipping Record!

http://www.deviantart.com/download/194701111/sub_zero_mortal_kombat_9_by_xdarkarchangel-d37x4c7.png
Reptyle83Posted: 08/08/2015 02:07 PMStatus ::

Visits::691

Well I'm glad to see an Asian man with a well received film career will be producing the reboot, but I don't like what the rest of the article says. Mortal Kombat should contain an ensemble cast. It shouldn't just focus on one male protagonist! Who would that be anyway??? Liu Kang or the original Kung Lao? That's why I'm feeling skeptical for now.

If James Wan is not directing I hope someone with a well received directorial record will helm it. Like Zack Snyder or Joon Ho Bong.

-
AsesinoPosted: 08/08/2015 05:45 PMStatus ::

Visits::13813
Nationality::Bulgaria

Please resurrect Stanley Kubrick and make him do the movie!

TigerStylePosted: 08/08/2015 06:13 PMStatus ::

Visits::0

"plot remains tangentially related to the fiction of the hugely successful video game series, centering around a "seemingly harmless guy" who discovers his hidden powers, and uses them to enter the tournament. The film has reportedly been described by the studio as "a departure from the mythology"

Sounds boring. Why not just do the first three games?

krajaxPosted: 08/09/2015 01:20 AMStatus ::

Visits::2987

If one medium can make a good Mortal Kombat, I'd have to go with the television series medium. MK1 all the way to Armageddon after hereafter. You have enough time to develop characters and add new scenes to fill in plotholes that were never closed in the video game franchise instead of cramming it into one movie while staying true to the original game lore. Something like an ANIMATED HBO series like Todd McFarlane's Spawn back in the 1990s.

ThePredator151Posted: 08/09/2015 02:49 AMStatus ::

Visits::1543

Mixed feelings on it.

The news is good. Wan sounds good. Plot is questionable. History of this sort of thing popping up is a huge negative. (tancheroen did pretty ok, i enjoyed it overall)

What would be interesting is if they made this film about Takeda's MKX story. I could accept something like that. I don't want another Lui Kang lineage movie. Just the same, following the Cage's around seems questionable because their thing is kind of comical.

A Sub-Zero Scorpion thing could be interesting, but I think a more youthful shift is in order. One that has enough ties to the old stuff to give the history, and deviate in a more natural progression.

I dunno....mixed feelings on it.

The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
- Lead Graphic Designer - Mortal Kombat Online -

:G-play :Story :F-Design :Cutout :Get Sig :Raiden :Fans [1] [2] :#LegendaryArts
redmanPosted: 08/09/2015 07:15 AMStatus ::

Visits::4705

TigerStyle Wrote:
"plot remains tangentially related to the fiction of the hugely successful video game series, centering around a "seemingly harmless guy" who discovers his hidden powers, and uses them to enter the tournament. The film has reportedly been described by the studio as "a departure from the mythology"

Sounds boring. Why not just do the first three games?

This just sounds.. awful.

GrimmPosted: 08/09/2015 09:43 AMStatus ::

Visits::12940

The plot does sound awful. Between this movie being in development hell since 2001 and after seeing video game adaptation movies flop time and time again, I would rather this movie not get made. I don't trust Wan, nor the writers to get this movie right.

SwingBattaPosted: 08/09/2015 05:30 PMStatus ::

Visits::1563

This has been stuck in development hell for nearly eighteen years for a reason, folks.

ElderGodSmackPosted: 08/09/2015 09:09 PMStatus ::

Visits::4172

I hear it's going to be called Domination.

Mick-LuciferPosted: 08/10/2015 08:46 PMStatus ::

Visits::19217

Fans are right to temper expectations, but there are a few simple things that definitively separate this news from the past couple of decades:

- In 2010 the Mortal Kombat IP changed owners (to New Line parent WB).
- This iteration has been in various stages of active production in that time.
- MK2011 and MKX games have given MK clear numeric value.
- James Wan is fast becoming an 'it' name. The closest MK has come to that level of 'it' talent is 20 years ago.
- All indications have been they aren't aiming for big budget blockbuster.

Better The Devil you know...
MK Online Forums: Share your interests, broaden your horizons and support the kommunity with discussion forums for every topic. No whining!
MindStrikesPosted: 08/11/2015 01:12 PMStatus ::

Visits::278
Nationality::Italy

Im happy he's asian. just what NRS needs now, 1 or 2 asian dudes that love MK. But unfortunatly they remove the mythologies part.

Mick-LuciferPosted: 08/11/2015 04:59 PMStatus ::

Visits::19217

MindStrikes Wrote:
Im happy he's asian. just what NRS needs now, 1 or 2 asian dudes that love MK. But unfortunatly they remove the mythologies part.

Malaysian born, raised in Australia. Lets not get too excited. It's not like they got a Shaolin monk in. His insights may not be entirely unique.

Better The Devil you know...
MK Online Forums: Share your interests, broaden your horizons and support the kommunity with discussion forums for every topic. No whining!
Ninja_MimePosted: 08/21/2015 05:38 PMStatus ::

Visits::20776
Nationality::Sweden

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
The plot remains tangentially related to the fiction of the hugely successful video game series, centering around a "seemingly harmless guy" who discovers his hidden powers, and uses them to enter the tournament. The film has reportedly been described by the studio as "a departure from the mythology" featuring "darker, brutally real martial arts."

How about a Mortal Kombat movie instead?

MindStrikesPosted: 08/22/2015 01:34 PMStatus ::

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
MindStrikes Wrote:

Malaysian born, raised in Australia. Lets not get too excited. It's not like they got a Shaolin monk in. His insights may not be entirely unique.

I didnt knew, thanks for that info. ill wait it up.

MindStrikesPosted: 08/22/2015 01:37 PMStatus ::

ElderGodSmack Wrote:

BC it was listed 12 years ago on IMDB?

VampwolfPosted: 09/04/2015 11:24 PMStatus ::

Visits::33

Warner Bros should do a Mortal Kombat writers room for the movie.

Yesterday Steven DeKnight, former showrunner on Daredevil and current member of Paramount’s Transformers writer’s room, told us about the arrival of the Punisher to the second season of Daredevil. Today he has talked to other outlets about the Transformers project, and his comments help us understand who’s doing what (such as Jeff Pinkner writing Transformers 5 with Akiva Goldsman) and how the whole system is laid out.

DeKnight is part of the writer’s room along with Pinkner, Zak Penn, Robert Kirkman, Art Marcum, Matt Holloway, Andrew Barrer, Gabrial Ferrari, Christina Hodson, Lindsey Beer, Ken Nolan, and Geneva Robertson-Dworet.

That “brain trust” reports to Goldsman, and producers Michael Bay, Steven Spielberg, and Lorezo di Bonaventura. The idea is to produce not just “core” Transformers sequels, but also spin-offs, prequels, and possibly even animated films as part of a “Transformers Cinematic Universe.”

DeKnight spoke to IGN about the system at Paramount:

It’s that wonderful thing where features are now taking a page from television and getting people together to really try and plan things out. It was a wonderful experience. Akiva Goldsman was fantastic and Jeff Pinkner, who’s co-writing the fifth [Transformers] movie with him, was phenomenal. Zak Penn… It was just a room full of brilliant, funny, amazing people. And we spent two and a half weeks in physically the best writers room I’ve ever seen in my life. Paramount pulled out all the stops. It was phenomenal! We laughed and joked and told stories and plotted out…

In other words, most of the big work of the brain trust has been done, and Paramount has a plan in place for a whole set of films. What are they? Good question. Not all the films conceptualized by that group will be made, so we’ll have to wait for details on the ones that do get the green light.

I can’t say what we plotted out, but it was all very exciting and in the next few months we’ll see what moves forward and what doesn’t move forward. But it was a fantastic experience. One of the best experiences of that was when Steven Spielberg popped by one afternoon to just sit and talk and hear what we were working on. Everybody was about to throw up, they were so excited.

http://www.slashfilm.com/transformers-5-writers/

MKmovie1Posted: 10/08/2015 05:42 PMStatus ::

Visits::70

just get this movie goin already!

we don't just want it....we need it.

man, i love the first movie so much.....really seemed like an awesome throw-back to older martial arts movies.

just get the guy from the Raid to do it.

please!!!!!!!!

ElderGodSmackPosted: 01/13/2016 10:00 PMStatus ::

Visits::4172

MindStrikes Wrote:
ElderGodSmack Wrote:

BC it was listed 12 years ago on IMDB?

Yeah.

Page of 2

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.