Summer Jam 9 - first major tournament post Evo2k15 (live stream Sat. 29 & Sun. 30)
posted08/31/2015 06:54 PM (UTC)by
Nephrite
About Me

For all of you who enjoy watching high level play of MKX, Summer Jam 9 is here! First major tournament after Evo 2015 and the Evo 2015 champ himself, cR|SonicFox is attending and he will also compete in a exhibition money match, first to 10, versuss none other than RZR|Perfect Legend, MK9 Evo champ in 2011 & 2012!

76 Industrial Hwy
Essington (Philadelphia), PA 19029

The tournament is scheduled over two days:
Saturday 29 - matches from 16 pools and semi-finals all the way to Top 8
Sunday 30 - Top 8

You can view the pools here.

Notable players:

-SonicFox - Evo 2015 champion & ESL Season 1 champion
-HoneyBee - bronze medal at Evo 2015
-YOMI guys: DJT, MIT, REO, Forever King, SaltFace, Michaelangelo, Zyphox, Slayer...
-Perfect Legend
-Maxter
-Tom Brady
-Alucard
-KDZ
-Emperor Jupiter
-Forever King Jr.
-Chris G
-GGA guys: Max, Wafflez, N1kolasss
-Kitana Prime
-Riu48

As you can see, it's stacked! I'm so excited to see Maxter back, I haven't seen him play MKX yet. He was one of the best MK9 players, godlike with Cyrax and Cage in MK9.

Stream schedule is here (sheet 2).

Stream links:
Saturday, 29 - from 12:00 PM EDT
KombatNetwork - all of MKX's action - pools + semi-finals non-stop stream until 10:00 PM
Saturday, 29 - from 10:00 PM EDT
TeamSp00ky - SonicFox vs. Perfect Legend exhibition
Sunday, 30 - from 4:00 PM EDT
TeamSp00ky - Mortal Kombat X Top 8

All streams can be seen here, in the stream hub.

Characters you can expect on stream (from my viewing expirience so far):
Erron Black, Kitana, Predator (SonicFox; Kitana also played by KitanaPrime)
Kung Lao (Perfect Legend, DJT, Forever King, Slayer)
D'Vorah (HoneyBee)
Tanya (MIT, REO(?))
Scorpion, possibly Sonya (MIT)
Mileena (SaltFace)
Ermac (GGA N1kolasss)
Shinnok (GGA Max and probably many more)
Sub-Zero (Tom Brady)
Quan Chi (Michaelangelo)
Liu Kang (Zyphox)
Kotal Kahn (Alucard)
Reptile (Chris G)
Kung Jin (Slayer)
Jason (Forever King Jr.?)
Tremor maybe (DJT)

So, there you have it. Tune in and enjoy!

I'll be cheering for SonicFox in that exhibition match! tongue

As for the tournament, I'm hoping Sonic brings out his ESL/Evo winning combination, Erron Black/Kitana, and doesn't play Predator. tongue
Super excited to see Maxter in, I have no idea which characters he mains.
Of course I'll also be cheering for Kitana Prime and best of luck to our old buddy, Espio!
Spaceman
08/29/2015 11:01 AM (UTC)
Awesome Nephrite!!! thank you for posting this! I will for sure watch what i can before work. Hype for GGA Max's Shinnok (at least when he uses imposter) and DJT's Tremor, but am sooo ready for some new high level mkx footage. Will be interesting to see who Maxter plays, I remember his Cyrax well so maybe Hunter Predator for another strong set up character?? Hopefully we see some high level play from some characters we don't normally see too. Just picked up cutthroat Kano and am dying to see more tournament footage of him

And I would love to watch Sonicfox body PL. PL is a great player but man does that guy seem like a cunt. Altho that said it would be cool to see Sonicfox's teabagging ass get ruined too. lol, both these guys seem like poor sports but at least Sonic seems to do it in jest. Amazing players tho for sure. I've been teabagged by them both online so maybe I'm just butthurt haha. I hope its an insanely close set at least, that would be awesome.
Spaceman
08/29/2015 11:17 AM (UTC)
Damn, really wish major tournament threads could stay on the general forum. Totally understand why they're moved here and all, but now almost no one will see this. I feel like the best way to get casual fans more into the series is if they see their favorites dominating at a high level. I know i can go to other sites to discuss tournament stuff and all so this isn't a big deal or anything. Just saying. And for all i know it could have stay on the general MKX forum and sunk like a rock.
Nephrite
08/29/2015 11:23 AM (UTC)
Spaceman Wrote:
Will be interesting to see who Maxter plays, I remember his Cyrax well so maybe Hunter Predator for another strong set up character??

Noooooooo!!! Boo to guest characters! tongue

I'm hoping for some dirty Cage play from Maxter.

Spaceman Wrote:
Hopefully we see some high level play from some characters we don't normally see too. Just picked up cutthroat Kano and am dying to see more tournament footage of him

I'm looking forward to all the patch rumors. It seems Commando Kano is getting a buff.

Spaceman Wrote:
And I would love to watch Sonicfox body PL. PL is a great player but man does that guy seem like a cunt. Altho that said it would be cool to see Sonicfox's teabagging ass get ruined too. lol, both these guys seem like poor sports but at least Sonic seems to do it in jest.

LOL!

I just get that 'diva vibe' with PL which I don't like, while when it comes to Sonic, I just see a guy sho's still a kid and is just having fun. He sounds really hyped and into the game when I listen to him on his streams. I don't feel anything mean about his behavior (nor PL's for that matter). Both are amazing players though! It would be insane if PL won, but Sonic is the clear favorite in the eyes of most.

Their exhibition match is scheduled for 4 AM my time and I'm seriously thinking of tuning in live! wow
newt27
08/29/2015 08:30 PM (UTC)
Yes thank you for posting this! Just tuned in a couple matches ago its good so far! I think I missed the exhibition match, who won? And was it a blow out?
Nephrite
08/29/2015 09:50 PM (UTC)
You haven't missed the exhibition match. It's going to be played later today, in a little over 4 hours from now.

I saw SonicFox earlier today, he played Hollywood Cassie Cage and man did he look scary good! The speed he played at was insane.

Michaelangelo is also looking really good, his Sorcerer Quan Chi dismissed N1kolasss' Ermac.

Forever King is also playing Quan Chi! wow
That Exhibition match was nuts.

Spoilers: (Highlight to reveal)
I've never seen someone so publicly salty make it so much worse on themselves
Warbro666
08/30/2015 06:40 AM (UTC)
I thought Tom Brady quit MK for good after the last tantrum he threw after being knocked out of EVO by an "inferior" player?

That guy is the cancer of the competitive scene. No humility whatsoever.
lanadelrey
08/30/2015 09:04 AM (UTC)
Wait who won the exhibition I missed it
Blade4693
08/30/2015 01:06 PM (UTC)
Sonicfox whooped that ass lol 13-0 IIRC kid is an absolute monster
Nephrite
08/30/2015 01:33 PM (UTC)
^ Correct.

It was first 10-0 (SonicFox playing as Royal Storm Kitana and PL playing as BuzzSaw & Tempest Kung Lao) and then it was 3-0 (Fox playing as Outlaw Erron Black and PL playing as BuzzSaw & Tempest Lao).

lanadelrey Wrote:
Wait who won the exhibition I missed it

If you'd like to see it, here it is.

Ion3008 Wrote:
That Exhibition match was nuts.
I've never seen someone so publicly salty make it so much worse on themselves

LOL, indeed. Even the commentators were saying it'd be better if he had just left. While I was cheering for SonicFox, I felt bad for PL. At one moment, he was down 7-0 or 8-0 and the crowd was still chanting Sonic's name. That must have felt terrible. Then at 12-0 Sonic, the crowd was chanting '13-0'! Ouch!

Sonic is actually in the losers bracket in the tournament. His Hollywood Cassie got beaten by Forever King's Hish-Qu-Ten Predator and in the second game he switched to Royal Storm Kitana and dropped the match winning combo and lost. They said on stream he's scheduled to play Kitana Prime in Top 16 today. Possible Kitana mirror incoming. I'm already super happy with the amount of Kitana play I've seen during the first day, there were quite a few of them and then that exhibiton treat. <3

If I'm not mistaken, I think PL is eliminated from the tourney. He lost to Kevo da Man's RS Kitana in winners bracket (lol PL must hate the princess), but I don't know who eliminated him from the losers bracket.

DJT's Tremor was fun to watch as well as HoneyBee's D'Vorah. They met in Top 32 and DJT won 2-1 using two variations (Aftershock and Crystalline).
Jupiter's Wrestler Jax put Tom Brady's Grandmaster Sub-Zero into losers as well. Quite a few great matches.

Oh and, Maxter played BoneShaper Shinnok on stream. I think he's still in the winners bracket in Top 16. Word is he also plays Cage.

Looking forward to the rest of the tournament. It's been fantastic so far!

PL actually made a great comeback vs Magician, worth checking out.

Where the hell is Raiden though?! Not a single one on stream! Shocker!

But...

Lets go Kitana! <3 glasses
Nephrite
08/30/2015 02:13 PM (UTC)
Update: PL got eliminated by Kitana Prime.

Here's the Top 16 bracket (pool16W = HoneyBee).

The Top 16 will start at 12:00 PM EDT today (not sure if on KombatNetwork stream or TeamSp00ky stream- both links in the OP; EDIT: Just saw a tweet from KitanaPrime saying it's on Kombat Network) and then Top 8 will be at 4:00 PM EDT (on Team Sp00ky stream).

Top 16 players/characters (credits to Zoidberg747 from TYM):

Winners:
YOMI REO (Relentless Jason)
YOMI ForeverKing (HQT Predator)
YOMI MIT (Kobu Tanya, Mournful Kitana)
YOMI MIchaelangelo (Sorceror Quan)
YOMI Slayer (Tempest KL)
Jupiter (Wrestler Jax)
VSM Maxter (BS Shinnok)
YOMI DJT (Aftershock Tremor)

Losers:
STB Dragon (Kobu Tanya)
KevoDaGod (Royal Storm Kitana)
Tom Brady (GM Sub)
YOMI Saltface(Ethereal Mileena)
F3 Alucard (Crystalline Tremor, War God Kotal)
Mr. Aquaman (War God Kotal)
EVB Kitana Prime (Royal Storm Kitana)
cR SonicFox (Hollywood Cassie, Royal Storm Kitana, Outlaw Erron Black)

* DJT also played Crystalline Tremor vs HoneyBee and I think KevoDaMan/KevoDaGod also played Kobu Tanya in one match.
Darkmage41
08/30/2015 02:18 PM (UTC)
Sonicfox prefers to be in the losers bracket, he always goes to losers and goes on to take it from there.

Still can't believe how he dominated Pl, something is just not right there.
Detox
About Me

You work with what you got...not what you hope for.

08/30/2015 04:09 PM (UTC)
Nephrite Wrote:
Update: PL got eliminated by Kitana Prime.

Here's the Top 16 bracket (pool16W = HoneyBee).

The Top 16 will start at 12:00 PM EDT today (not sure if on KombatNetwork stream or TeamSp00ky stream- both links in the OP; EDIT: Just saw a tweet from KitanaPrime saying it's on Kombat Network) and then Top 8 will be at 4:00 PM EDT (on Team Sp00ky stream).

Top 16 players/characters (credits to Zoidberg747 from TYM):

Winners:
YOMI REO (Relentless Jason)
YOMI ForeverKing (HQT Predator)
YOMI MIT (Kobu Tanya, Mournful Kitana)
YOMI MIchaelangelo (Sorceror Quan)
YOMI Slayer (Tempest KL)
Jupiter (Wrestler Jax)
VSM Maxter (BS Shinnok)
YOMI DJT (Aftershock Tremor)

Losers:
STB Dragon (Kobu Tanya)
KevoDaGod (Royal Storm Kitana)
Tom Brady (GM Sub)
YOMI Saltface(Ethereal Mileena)
F3 Alucard (Crystalline Tremor, War God Kotal)
Mr. Aquaman (War God Kotal)
EVB Kitana Prime (Royal Storm Kitana)
cR SonicFox (Hollywood Cassie, Royal Storm Kitana, Outlaw Erron Black)

* DJT also played Crystalline Tremor vs HoneyBee and I think KevoDaMan/KevoDaGod also played Kobu Tanya in one match.

Pulling for REO, wouldn't mind seeing Brady make top 8.

Also, that damn money match had to be soul crushing for PL. If it wasn't, than dude must have an insane superiority complex. He's a great player, but he either needs to change up the way he trains/plays, or accept that he's not as great as he thinks he is anymore.
Nephrite
08/30/2015 04:25 PM (UTC)
Top 16 is about to start on Kombat Network (stream is live; sound testing is currently going on).

Detox Wrote:

I like REO, but I hate guest characters. tongue

As for Brady, he's playing YOMI SaltFace next, that's going to be a great match- Sub-Zero versus Mileena. You don't see these two characters so often in tournaments, especially Mileena. My heart is with SaltFace. tongue
Detox
About Me

08/30/2015 04:48 PM (UTC)
Nephrite Wrote:
Top 16 is about to start on Kombat Network (stream is live; sound testing is currently going on).

Detox Wrote:

I like REO, but I hate guest characters. tongue

As for Brady, he's playing YOMI SaltFace next, that's going to be a great match- Sub-Zero versus Mileena. You don't see these two characters so often in tournaments, especially Mileena. My heart is with SaltFace. tongue

Haha, I can respect that. I like Reo AND love the fact that he's playing out of his mind with Jason.

As for Brady/Saltface, it should be interesting. The teleport is gonna blow up the clone game every time, but Brady could use that fact to bait him in. Its amazing how big a change that the clone going away on block has been to sub zero matchups. Changed his game completely.
Nephrite
08/30/2015 05:03 PM (UTC)
^ The clone isn't working properly. wink

That was a nice match, Michaelangelo vs MIT. We got to see A-List Johnny and Mournful Kitana. Nice. Though I think MIT often rushes to switch characters when he loses a game. Should have stayed with Tanya there.
Nephrite
08/30/2015 06:00 PM (UTC)
And it was a Royal Storm Kitana mirror match, Kitana Prime versus Sonic Fox. Oh the joy <3

Sonic won!

Can't believe most of the Kitana players mostly go with her tournament skin... I prefer all the other ones, except the classic one. :-\
Detox
About Me

08/30/2015 06:49 PM (UTC)
Nephrite Wrote:
And it was a Royal Storm Kitana mirror match, Kitana Prime versus Sonic Fox. Oh the joy <3

Sonic won!

Can't believe most of the Kitana players mostly go with her tournament skin... I prefer all the other ones, except the classic one. :-\

That Kitana mirror was pretty great. KP so close! I agree about the skin as well. Her main, dark princess, revenant, klassic, all amazing costumes.

Saltface and Tom Brady had a great match. Tom Brady does not care for chaos, and chaos more or less sums up Mileena. Great effort by both.

REO and Saltface was hype! Surprised REO went with Slasher, but it proved very effective. Saltface once again pulls it out after REO drops him in the corner with a mere pixel left on his health bar. This may have been my favorite match all tournament.
oracle
About Me

-sig by MINION

08/30/2015 07:55 PM (UTC)
Yas at all this HQ Kitana play.

Come through girl.

I feel bad for PL but that might just be because Sonic rubs me the wrong way totally and completely.
Nephrite
08/30/2015 08:13 PM (UTC)
^ Hehe. The princess in shining in the tournaments. She had a strong presence in tournaments in MK2011, but this time it's even bigger.

Also, Sonic's a cool dude, he's just very young and super hype.

Detox Wrote:Saltface and Tom Brady had a great match. Tom Brady does not care for chaos, and chaos more or less sums up Mileena. Great effort by both.
REO and Saltface was hype! Surprised REO went with Slasher, but it proved very effective. Saltface once again pulls it out after REO drops him in the corner with a mere pixel left on his health bar. This may have been my favorite match all tournament.

Indeed, both of those SaltFace matches were great. I actually had a feeling Brady was gonna beat him when he had him in the corner against the ice clone in the final round. So happy for SaltFace, the sole Mileena warrior. He's now done well with all three of her variations in tournaments.

TOP 8 is ON NOW! TeamSp00ky stream! glasses
lanadelrey
08/30/2015 09:37 PM (UTC)
That controller connection shit was staged #illuminaticonfirmed
Nephrite
08/30/2015 09:48 PM (UTC)
LMAO the drama! Good that it ended the way it did, would have been so fucked up if went the other way after the restart. grin

Congrats to Forever King! Finally he goes all the way in MKX!

Fantastic tournament, great matches throughout. Kitana fans should be super satisfied, the princess was all over the stream.

Nice character variety overall. I forgot to mention we saw some really good Dualist Liu Kang in pools as well (played by Forever Elite). Also, STB Dragon is a new kid on the block (I think he's also 17, like Sonic, finished 13th if I'm not mistaken.

Fuck guest charcaters though.

tongue
Detox
About Me

08/30/2015 10:09 PM (UTC)
Awesome top 8!

DJT absolutely got robbed with that Tremor corner glitch. Absolute heartbreaker. Sonic was done.

Forever King gets it done in ythe Predator mirror and finishes off Sonic's Erron Black. Great match.

Nephrite Wrote:
LMAO the drama! Good that it ended the way it did, would have been so fucked up if went the other way after the restart. grin

Congrats to Forever King! Finally he goes all the way in MKX!

Fantastic tournament, great matches throughout. Kitana fans should be super satisfied, the princess was all over the stream.

Nice character variety overall. I forgot to mention we saw some really good Dualist Liu Kang in pools as well (played by Forever Elite). Also, STB Dragon is a new kid on the block (I think he's also 17, like Sonic, finished 13th if I'm not mistaken.

Fuck guest charcaters though.

tongue

Indeedwink. The variety in these tournaments continue to be a testament to the work NRS has put into this game. Kung Laos, Scorpions, Quan Chi's, predator, Tonya, Mileenas, Kitanas, variety was all over the place. And everyone's favorite up play at the moment(BS Shinnok) nowhere near the top.

Great, great tournament. Now we wait for the stream on Monday, where it all begins again.

Congrats Forever King!
oracle
About Me

-sig by MINION

08/30/2015 11:08 PM (UTC)
I love that Tanya is getting tourney play. And is viable. Hopefully she stops disappearing for games at a time now.

I'm oddly hype right now lol let me go get some matches in.
Pages: 2
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.