Kombatpedia: well its been real....
posted02/22/2016 05:43 PM (UTC)by
Uppercut Editions
About Me

Uppercut Editions - Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project Creator and Manager - Join Our Fight and Like the Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project on Facebook and Twitter -

We received this email this morning. Clearly dk and wb want to do it, but NRS are against it.

Hi Myke

I met with Warner Bros in LA last week; the news is not good. Apparently the game maker for Mortal Kombat has vetoed publishing in the past, I think it's because they just don't have the bandwidth to handle the asset requests and approvals. My contact at WB says it was a very clear no, without any wriggle room at all. He said he'd ask once more for us but I am not hopeful.

I will keep you updated. Thanks for your continued interest.

If you guys have any ideas, I would suggest a mass call to NRS and seeing if we can get thru to someone!
lastfighter89
11/20/2015 01:01 PM (UTC)
What the hell means " NRS doesn't have the bandwidth to do it”?

Since when bandwidth is a synonymous of "competence"?

I'll tell you this. I am a supporter of kombatpedia since day 1, I' d gladly give my money to a Kickstarter campaign, but God, I knew since the beginning this wasn't going to end well, and not due to WB or anyone else.

Let's face the truth. John Vogel, Brian Chard and Dom Cianciolo are NOT writers, they do not have any clue on how to write a coherent and well put storyline. They need to retcon every damn thing, and not happy with that, they need to rewrite the good things as well.

Vogel is/was an enviromental artist.
Brian Chard is the director of voice acting.
Dom Cianciolo is tje director of cinematics.

None of them is a professional writer. Vogel, just recently, tried his own comic stripes, but they're so God awful.

I am not surprised. Vogel and co. have no idea how to write from start to finish the whole mk story. They are afraid of it. Afraid of giving us a story which makes sense.
It's both a commercial and incompetent strategy.
Giving an official and immutable story would kill any forum discussion, any speculation about characters and story arcs, realms and so on. Btw, they could use the behind the scenes footage to improve the Krypt in the games, so why spoil those little details when you can save them for the game.

In addition, everytime NRS creates a new character, rarely they begin working on him/her from scratch. Usually they have one or more of predetermined sets.
For instance, an aztec warrior was supposed to be a character in MK: Deadly Alliance.
Turns out they needed full 17 years to have him debuting in MK X.

Somewhat, creating a kombatpedia would spoil too much of their future, recycled plans.
Blade4693
11/20/2015 03:48 PM (UTC)
That blows
Uppercut Editions
About Me

Uppercut Editions - Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project Creator and Manager - Join Our Fight and Like the Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project on Facebook and Twitter -

11/20/2015 04:27 PM (UTC)
This is specifically Ed boon saying no. I confirmed it with other members of the NRS staff who do indeed support and want this project to happen.

We are debating internally doing a Kickstarter and getting our resources together and making it as a group and not making a dime off of it.
lastfighter89
11/20/2015 04:38 PM (UTC)
Is there a reason why Ed Boon, and himself only, doesn't want the kombatpedia to become a reality?

Dc has its own. Marvel too. Even Final Fantasy had one, despite having a different story and setting in every installement.
Darkhound74
11/20/2015 05:07 PM (UTC)
Well this is some earth-shattering news......FUCK! -_-
Bandwidth?!

I thought y`all wanted a physical paper book kollektable...

Ka-Tra
JadedReign
11/20/2015 05:32 PM (UTC)
I'm sorry to hear this, guys. Seemed like it had a lot of potential and backing. Bummer. :(
Darkhound74
11/20/2015 05:37 PM (UTC)
Man NRS is just continuously killing all my hopes and dreams. This Kombatpedia was a really great idea, and it just seems so fucked for it to get so far...then get hit with a "no".
Uppercut Editions
About Me

11/20/2015 06:17 PM (UTC)
We are devastated by this news. A lot of us worked really hard spreading word. My suggestion? Call the NRS office and call Eds voicemail and leave him a voicemail saying you want the Kombat encyclopedia to happen.
I guess they don`t mind the somewhat inaccurate wikis that already exist. Would`ve really cut down on misinformation, and what some fans want to be true.

Then again, since it`s arcade days, MK has always thrived on rumors n speculation...

Ka-Tra
KenshiMaster16
11/20/2015 07:50 PM (UTC)
I think this is more to do with the fact they obviously like to play fast and loose with their characters and lore as evident by the Bi Han becoming Noob Saibot and reboot story strategies. Tying everything down definitely is probably too much of a strain for Boon to want to try and tackle.

Sucks though, was hoping this would end up becoming a reality.
Blade4693
11/20/2015 07:59 PM (UTC)
Maybe they think it wont be profitable? They have to pay people to put it together, publish it, promote it, distribute it. Then you have people who wont buy it and wait for it to be digitally uploaded to the internet and torrent it, and then some people will wait for people to just add all the info from it to the MK WIKI, so maybe they just don't think it will make enough money?

Idk, but it is disappointing. I was really hoping it was going to happen, I was so pumped for it :/
Uppercut Editions
About Me

11/20/2015 08:28 PM (UTC)
We are putting together a last ditch package to send to Boon personally, and hopefully it gets his attention.

After that, we are debating creating a fan made, Kickstarter mk encyclopedia.
Darkhound74
11/21/2015 12:10 AM (UTC)
Ninja_Arts Wrote:
We are putting together a last ditch package to send to Boon personally, and hopefully it gets his attention.

After that, we are debating creating a fan made, Kickstarter mk encyclopedia.

I'm officially throwing my hat in to help if this thing is moving to the Kickstarter direction.
Uppercut Editions
About Me

11/21/2015 12:35 AM (UTC)
We will know as soon as next week.

Razor, too cool, and james fink are already involved.
Viser
11/21/2015 07:16 AM (UTC)
Really bummed about this
ErmaSco
11/21/2015 07:25 AM (UTC)
At least Ed has been smart enough to see that the material ain't worthy of that.

Kudos to him.
Uppercut Editions
About Me

11/21/2015 09:41 AM (UTC)
We are sending him a personal letter today. So we hope that changes things.
Historical Favorite
11/21/2015 11:26 AM (UTC)
I'm sorry your bad thing didn't work out.
AJBlue
11/21/2015 01:32 PM (UTC)
A lot of respect for those working so hard on this. Good luck to you.

Having said that, without Boon AND Tobias working on it, I have no interest. They're the creators. They know the story better than anyone and they're the only ones who could fill in the gaps (up to a certain point with Tobias obviously). I don't want second hand guessing or conjecture from fans or guys who've only worked on a couple of the games later in the series. That isn't "official" to me.
lastfighter89
11/21/2015 03:14 PM (UTC)
AJBlue Wrote:
A lot of respect for those working so hard on this. Good luck to you.

Having said that, without Boon AND Tobias working on it, I have no interest. They're the creators. They know the story better than anyone and they're the only ones who could fill in the gaps (up to a certain point with Tobias obviously). I don't want second hand guessing or conjecture from fans or guys who've only worked on a couple of the games later in the series. That isn't "official" to me.

Ed Boon himself admitted that, not only he never wrote the story of MK, but doesn't know half of it.
John Vogel and John Tobias were the only creators of the plot, with minimal contribute of other staff members. Perhaps Ed Boon gave the basic input ( let's create a Van Damme spoof, a Cynthia Rockroth spoof, a Bruce Lee spoof, A couple of characters from Big Trouble in Little China and so on).

The art style of the first 4 game was only Tobias' doing.
From MK: Deadly Alliance Vogel took the mantle, and starting from Mk vs Dc he worked with other people, none of them being a professional writer, except for Jimmy Palmiotti, which is pretty overrated and had minimal input in the story of Mk vs Dc aka DA RAGEHHHHHH1!!!!1!!!!11
nightbreed_16
About Me

I will rock you.

11/21/2015 08:37 PM (UTC)
This saddens me but good effort guys.wink
Uppercut Editions
About Me

11/21/2015 10:52 PM (UTC)
It's funny, because most folks don't know how CLOSE we actually got. We had Kittelsen on board. We had alot of NRS on board, we had DK on board, and we even had WB on board....But Boon? Not so much.

Vogel suggested we shoot him the physical mail - so we did. We printed out every page of the petition, along with our presentation, and mock ups and a letter. We sent it to him and it'll be there by Wednesday. I even have a tracking number so I'll know when he signs for it.

We can only hope this HELPS. However, if it doesn't - We are prepared to kickstart it and do an "unofficial" book with folks like Razer, James Fink, TooCool and others.
KenshiMaster16
11/22/2015 01:18 AM (UTC)
Ninja_Arts Wrote:
It's funny, because most folks don't know how CLOSE we actually got. We had Kittelsen on board. We had alot of NRS on board, we had DK on board, and we even had WB on board....But Boon? Not so much.

Vogel suggested we shoot him the physical mail - so we did. We printed out every page of the petition, along with our presentation, and mock ups and a letter. We sent it to him and it'll be there by Wednesday. I even have a tracking number so I'll know when he signs for it.

We can only hope this HELPS. However, if it doesn't - We are prepared to kickstart it and do an "unofficial" book with folks like Razer, James Fink, TooCool and others.

I've backed you from the start and will continue to do so in an effort to get this shit made, either by them or by the folks in the community who know their shit.

I'm all in at this point.
Pages: 2
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.