Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 1 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Round 1: FIGHT!
Sonya Blade (14.2%)
Nightwolf (85.7%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • May 22nd, 2017
    Injustice 2: Fighter Pack 1 Character Renders [Read On]
  • May 18th, 2017
    Oren Uziel Discusses Mortal Kombat Movie Script [Read On]
  • May 16th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Officially Released Today! [Read On]
  • May 16th, 2017
    Ed Boon Discusses Injustice 2 Development & Content [Read On]
  • May 15th, 2017
    Early Release Reveals Six Injustice 2 Premier Skins [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Media & Merchandise

Discussing Mortal Kombat in Movies, Television, New Media and Merchandising.
Page of 1

Mick-LuciferPosted: 12/14/2015 10:41 AMStatus ::
Live-Action Webseries Scheduled for Release Early 2016

It was first announced late in 2014, and confirmed completed this past August. Now, according to director Garrett Warren, the third Mortal Kombat live-action webseries finally has a release schedule for early 2016!

Speaking to a fan on Twitter, Garrett said, "It is scheduled to be released early next year." Adding in reply to another fan, "I have been told that it will be released early next year."

Given the bumpy ride to completion the third series has appeared to have, it's understandable that this isn't the most convincing of confirmations. Two previous series, directed by Kevin Tancharoen, were noted for their low budget, and fast shooting to release schedule.

An early 2016 release positions the series -- rumoured to be called Mortal Kombat: Generations -- somewhere opposite downloadable content extras released as Kombat Pack 2. The pack introduces Bo' Rai Cho to the Mortal Kombat X playable roster: a character believed to have a prominent role in episodes starring Lewis Tan as Kung Jin [read more].

[Related Article: MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters]

With several big budget failures at the box office, Warner Brothers is increasingly finding investment gains in video games [full story]. Coordinating the series to promote deeper in-game transactions may be a logical strategy.

Warners also have bigger irons in the Mortal Kombat fire, with reports James Wan (Furious 7, Insidious) will produce a Mortal Kombat feature. Speaking about the movie, Garrett Warren said, "the film [is] using good hands and will be made."

Mortal Kombat Online's webseries info hub has all the past updates on the coming show. Register to discuss each story and more on the Media & Merchandise forum! Like and share via @MK_Online & Facebook.

frabnPosted: 12/14/2015 11:00 AMStatus ::

Visits::531
Nationality::United States
RE: Live-Action Webseries Scheduled for Release Early 2016

I really enjoyed both webseries (though I confess it was the "pilot" fan film that wow'd me the most due to its completely different take on MK). I binged them both before MKX came out. Cary Tagawa reprising his role as Shang Tsung was awesome, and the "dark Liu" approach was very interesting. A little confused on the timeline though...the Sub-Zero/Scorpion affair seemed to take place in fuedal Japan yet here they were in modern times.

In any case, I hope web series 3 continues where 2 left off. That was an awesome cliffhanger. I'm also secretly hoping they cast Cary Tagawa as Shang's voice in MKXI since...I mean at this point it's obvious he's coming back.

Well, you all got your Tremor now. Can we finally move on?
Ninja_MimePosted: 12/14/2015 11:10 AMStatus ::

Visits::20776
Nationality::Sweden

Hopefully this is as far away from Legacy as possible. Though that doesn't seem likely, seeing that it features returning actors and the fact that Legacy was somehow seemingly well received.

I want to get off Warner Bros' wild ride.

mkreptile8860Posted: 12/14/2015 11:15 AMStatus ::

Visits::1494

Yawn Still waiting for the movie to hit theaters lol

OrangatangKangPosted: 12/14/2015 01:55 PMStatus ::

Visits::499

^ same

WATAHHHHHHHHH!!!
lastfighter89Posted: 12/14/2015 02:10 PMStatus ::

Visits::5108
Nationality::Italy

For the records, I am AlexCampy89 on Twitter.

redmanPosted: 12/14/2015 03:24 PMStatus ::

Visits::4705

About damn time, although if it's anything like Legacy I will probably hate it.

KenshiMaster16Posted: 12/14/2015 03:33 PMStatus ::

Visits::10061

Put out a gory, campy, mystical action flick with Wan already and cut the webseries crap. As for Bo Rai Cho beng in the webseries (of which I forgot) despite me wanting him included as DLC this promptly makes me hate the pack even more. It's nothing but a glorified WB advertisement. New TCM movie in production? Toss in Leatherface. New Alien movie in production? Toss in a Xenomorph. What about a character from the webseries who isn't in the game? Toss in Bo' Rai Cho.

SockiePosted: 12/14/2015 04:40 PMStatus ::

Visits::3146

KenshiMaster16 Wrote:
Put out a gory, campy, mystical action flick with Wan already and cut the webseries crap. As for Bo Rai Cho beng in the webseries (of which I forgot) despite me wanting him included as DLC this promptly makes me hate the pack even more. It's nothing but a glorified WB advertisement. New TCM movie in production? Toss in Leatherface. New Alien movie in production? Toss in a Xenomorph. What about a character from the webseries who isn't in the game? Toss in Bo' Rai Cho.

How is it a WB advertisement when they have nothing to do with the Alien or TCM franchises?

KenshiMaster16Posted: 12/14/2015 05:04 PMStatus ::

Sockie Wrote:
KenshiMaster16 Wrote:

How is it a WB advertisement when they have nothing to do with the Alien or TCM franchises?

Not clear on the particulars but I do know for a fact WB has a hand in the home distribution of the TCM films so I'm sure they have a hand in something relating to the Alien franchise as well.

BADASS6669Posted: 12/14/2015 05:08 PMStatus ::

Visits::5693

BOO!!!!

The web series was lame. When are we getting a full movie WB's? Hasn't this franchise shown you enough already?

Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is forgiven, so Sex is in. I kill people for a living. Get over it.
SockiePosted: 12/14/2015 05:22 PMStatus ::

Visits::3146

KenshiMaster16 Wrote:
Sockie Wrote:
KenshiMaster16 Wrote:

Not clear on the particulars but I do know for a fact WB has a hand in the home distribution of the TCM films so I'm sure they have a hand in something relating to the Alien franchise as well.

More like they have a pinky in it. The most recent TCM they only released the DVD for in Australia, and before that, a DVD of the third one in Russia. Are you seriously saying that's what they're trying to advertise? Meanwhile, they have nothing to do at all with Alien, not even distribution anywhere.

PinndropPosted: 12/14/2015 06:22 PMStatus ::

Visits::748
Nationality::Canada

frabn Wrote:
I really enjoyed both webseries (though I confess it was the "pilot" fan film that wow'd me the most due to its completely different take on MK).

This

All and all that`s all we all are.
Dantesd94Posted: 12/14/2015 08:22 PMStatus ::

Visits::752
Nationality::Ecuador

Sockie Wrote:
KenshiMaster16 Wrote:
Sockie Wrote:
KenshiMaster16 Wrote:

More like they have a pinky in it. The most recent TCM they only released the DVD for in Australia, and before that, a DVD of the third one in Russia. Are you seriously saying that's what they're trying to advertise? Meanwhile, they have nothing to do at all with Alien, not even distribution anywhere.

Kenshi Master is actually pointing at the rigth direction.

Netherrealm Studios IS NOT THE ONLY ONE IN CHARGE FOR THE GAME DEVELOPMENT. WB IS ABOVE THEM. Wb owns Netherrealm and they have the strongest voice in some desicions because they gave netherrealm the resources to their proyects.

All is a big marketing plan and, even if it is understandable, can be a pain the arse for some fans just tired of this "political and economical rigth desicions".

Many people complain about Ed Boon and netherrealm just ingnoring the fans, but desicions like the Kombat pack 2 content where taken with WB bosses teling them what´s best, not maybe for the franchise, but for the company.

Then we have the reason why the only thing that they could do to posibly please more fans, Is tatataTATA!!! a Tri Borg.

Leather Face is hitting theaters, Alien as well and even if its not a WB property, they aren´t gonna denied, neither the publicity make by another company or the money they have to recive in order to give the rights for a character.

Even Beyond MK, Next year after Batman V Superman is realesed the way will be ready for the Next Injustice.

Returnig to the web Series, i really want to see a MK legacy (not talking about the legacy series but the legacy of MK as a Franchise), be built outside the games. Mk has the potential and i really want to see MK making it back to the big screen.

If they are going to revive this series for whatever reason, at least i hope they are good.

KenshiMaster16Posted: 12/15/2015 02:24 AMStatus ::

Sockie Wrote:
KenshiMaster16 Wrote:
Sockie Wrote:
KenshiMaster16 Wrote:

A pinky is still money and to put it bluntly, money talks. And for all we know, they could be getting a percentage for Alien appearing out of whatever deal they struck. The point is, we don't know but they're obviously making money off of it. They wouldn't put them in for free when they have their own franchises to milk (aka Freddy).

BruceKangPosted: 12/16/2015 11:11 PMStatus ::

Visits::86

MK needs to hook up with Netflix. HBO, Showtime and some others might be nervous about a video game that, while still popular, had its real moments of notoriety in the '90s, but Netflix is a really creative outlet and they allow a lot of freedom. A six episode order just to see how people react can't hurt them and gives them a bigger budget and wider platform to see if people will watch. AMC just took a chance with martial arts on Into the Badlands (which I'm loving) but I fear it will get cancelled because it's different than most things on TV and probably pulls less viewers than those most things. Netflix can draw some skilled talent in both filmmaking and martial arts (get The Raid's crew together with the Badlands crew!) and it doesn't have to meet the strict requirements of a studio or make its budget back (no box office and it's not on TV, really). It's the same idea behind Legacy, but let's face it, it needs MORE.

Speaking of the '90s, if the Ninja Turtles can get a(nother) movie why can't MK?!

DetoxPosted: 12/16/2015 11:20 PMStatus ::

Visits::4213

KenshiMaster16 Wrote:
As for Bo Rai Cho beng in the webseries (of which I forgot) despite me wanting him included as DLC this promptly makes me hate the pack even more. It's nothing but a glorified WB advertisement.

Ha-ha, so now the one character everyone is ,at the very least, tolerating from KP2 is also a bad thing?

Thanks to MINION for the awesome sig

There are bigger sacrifices one might be asked to make than going a little mad.
raidenthefridgePosted: 12/19/2015 07:22 PMStatus ::

Visits::3798
Nationality::Northern Ireland

I strongly preferred the "one shot" style of Legacy season 1 to the more serialised season 2.

Hopefully this is more like that.

Thanks to MINION for taking my Siginity!
umbrascitorPosted: 12/21/2015 04:27 PMStatus ::

Visits::761

Not sure what to think about all of this.

It looks like Generations is supposed to tie in with the MKX storyline, but Legacy already diverged from the canon so much that Generations couldn't possibly pick up where it left off and still have anything to do with MKX. Hell, the Legacy storyline isn't even finished.

So the best thing to do would be to have Generations ignore Legacy altogether and essentially reboot the entire mess that KTanch made. But then the whole webseries line becomes a complete clusterfuck, especially if they're keeping some of the actors. I'm guessing this is why they waited so, so long to release this one -- they want us to kind of forget Legacy so we can enjoy this one on its own.

A lot of people, myself included, are eager to see them drop all the webseries shenanigans and just make another damn movie. But the state that Hollywood writing is in right now, I highly doubt that they could come up with a storyline that fans would like. Shit, it sounds like half the fans can't even stand the games themselves anymore, so can you imagine the uproar when someone completely outside the studio gets a hold of the story, working under even more executive pressure to make a "profitable" film regardless of the content?

Well, you don't really have to imagine. Just look at how Legacy was received, and multiply that by at least 50 times the budget at stake.

Never shake hands with a man who wears his heart on his sleeve. ~ Master Fuji's Fortune Cookie
umbrascitorPosted: 12/21/2015 04:40 PMStatus ::

Visits::761

Oh hey. Looks like the guy playing Erron Black actually played a couple of Outworld mooks in Annihilation. And also, more famously... Darth "Fucking" Maul. Does this mean he'll be wielding a Tarkatan arm sword with TWO blades???

Never shake hands with a man who wears his heart on his sleeve. ~ Master Fuji's Fortune Cookie
KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 12/21/2015 04:52 PMStatus ::

Visits::19709

umbrascitor Wrote:
A lot of people, myself included, are eager to see them drop all the webseries shenanigans and just make another damn movie. But the state that Hollywood writing is in right now, I highly doubt that they could come up with a storyline that fans would like. Shit, it sounds like half the fans can't even stand the games themselves anymore, so can you imagine the uproar when someone completely outside the studio gets a hold of the story, working under even more executive pressure to make a "profitable" film regardless of the content?

For a long time I wanted another MK movie. But recently someone suggested MK go the anime route. And honestly I think it's MK's best shot. An animated show but with an anime style that's mature and a series? Yes please.

That way we don't need to worry about certain characters not getting enough screen time and casting. Someone like Netflix or Hulu could pick it up.

photo 08EDBB95-0972-4D12-94BB-8107B5418EAA_zpsyuwphky8.jpg
shrairyuwarriorPosted: 01/05/2016 09:19 PMStatus ::

Visits::1034

Obviously umbrascitor. What makes you think generations would connect to to legecy? To different animals. Same as with the Web series and the new movie comming. They won't be connected

PSN:athlos23
Page of 1

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.