Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 1 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (21.3%)
Jade (42.6%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (26.2%)
Freddy Krueger (9.8%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • December 15th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Limited Console Free Trial [Read On]
  • December 7th, 2017
    Atom Battles Black Manta in Gameplay Trailer [Read On]
  • November 28th, 2017
    Captain Marvel Almost Returned in Injustice Fighter Pack 0 [Read On]
  • November 23rd, 2017
    Mortal Kombat X Mobile - Punk Cassie Challenge [Read On]
  • November 18th, 2017
    Mortal Kombat Funko Store Signing - Sunday [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat X

Discussing Mortal Kombat X and all things Kontemporary to it.
Page of 3

BADASS6669Posted: 01/15/2016 10:19 PMStatus ::

Visits::5695
Nationality::United States
RE: Netherrealm Studios posts video about Online Code Enhancement

Asesino Wrote:
Detox Wrote:
This is really awesome news. Thanks to NRS for keeping their ears open and actually doing something about a major gripe in this game, when they could've just said "fuck it", and moved on to the next.

I may sign up for this.

They are doing that, because they want to kompete with SFV and KI3. A new MK won't be coming soon nor injustice. They are scared!

Scared of what MKX is the best selling Fighting Game on this generation console

I have high hopes for Killer Instinct Season Three but even being the free game this month won't sell as much as MKX.

SFV looks like it has Nintendo 64 graphics and is only on the PS4 it won't sell as many units.

Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is forgiven, so Sex is in. I kill people for a living. Get over it.
Tetra_VegaPosted: 01/15/2016 10:26 PMStatus ::

Visits::2421
Nationality::Canada

Sweet, they're really doing it. More hope for KP3.
GTAV's still getting updates 3 years on...

N64 was pretty damn blocky. Could never look as smooth as SFV.

Ka-Tra

13 YEARS! ^[2004-10 Komics Sig by Siklooted, tyvm]^ [2012-15 Komics *NEW 11/24/2015*] "Circling Vulture, Laughing Hyena" "All good things, in moderation..." "Mean what you say, and say what you mean. You never know, I could be a Djinn..." True story, it happened to a friend of a friend of mine... EVERYBODY!
Demon_0Posted: 01/15/2016 10:30 PMStatus ::

Visits::4663
Nationality::Afghanistan

I have always been in favor of long-term (3 years or so) support for MKX in the form of regular expansions and balancing rather than having the game come out, have one or two KP's and moving on to the next game, like they did with MK9.

Now that we are getting roll-back based netcode at this stage, I hope this is actually the case and the game receives ongoing support for the years to come and we end with a roster of about 40-42 characters.

Avatar is part of fanart created by Esau13
JAX007Posted: 01/15/2016 10:39 PMStatus ::

Visits::8581
Nationality::Canada

I don't even know why SF5 keeps getting brought up as competition, scared of what exactly?

MKX sold 5m plus just last year, it's up there with the sports games and shooters every bro buys. It did it's numbers, even if it suddenly stopped selling and lost all of it's players for now on, like it wouldn't even matter.

JadedReignPosted: 01/15/2016 10:50 PMStatus ::

Visits::1603

KenshiMaster16 Wrote:
JadedReign Wrote:
So they're technically not using GGPO, they're developing their own rollback code.

.....Y'all let me know how that turns out. >_>

I know some of you have waited quite a long time for this, and I'll be praying for you.

They're literally doing what both Killer Instinct and SFV did, both of those games also created a variation of GGPO.

I know. But this is NRS, and with their history with netcode....I'll be praying for you.

MurcielagoPosted: 01/16/2016 01:32 AMStatus ::

Visits::2471

BADASS6669 Wrote:
Asesino Wrote:
Detox Wrote:
This is really awesome news. Thanks to NRS for keeping their ears open and actually doing something about a major gripe in this game, when they could've just said "fuck it", and moved on to the next.

I may sign up for this.

They are doing that, because they want to kompete with SFV and KI3. A new MK won't be coming soon nor injustice. They are scared!

I have high hopes for Killer Instinct Season Three but even being the free game this month won't sell as much as MKX.

SFV looks like it has Nintendo 64 graphics and is only on the PS4 it won't sell as many units.

Might be the best selling (I doubt it), but sure as fuck didnt last that long. This NETCODE might put some life back into this game.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
PSN: Inxomniac
mkmileenaPosted: 01/16/2016 01:36 AMStatus ::

Visits::4825

frabn Wrote:
Definitely great for the competitive crowd, For me personally I really couldn't care less. I play games to have fun, and I never find anything fun about competitive gaming. So while this has no relevance to me.

cheers. Aside from this, I had no idea the online mode was 'that bad' that they had to redo it.

Ethereal, ravenous, piercing. It's Mileena bitch.

Lovely signature by MINION

KenshiMaster16Posted: 01/16/2016 04:01 AMStatus ::

Visits::10125

Murcielago Wrote:
Might be the best selling (I doubt it), but sure as fuck didnt last that long. This NETCODE might put some life back into this game.

If memory serves, I actually do believe it is. And will likely stay that way for the time being given both SFV and KI are console exclusives and MK is the only one out of the three that isn't and thus gets a sales advantage.

PickleMendipPosted: 01/16/2016 07:40 AMStatus ::

Visits::29
Nationality::United Kingdom

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:
The_TooCool_Master Wrote:
KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:
redman Wrote:
they actually listened for once.

For once, yes.

Tremor says hi!

....and Leatherface.

I guess Tremor counts? It did take pretty fuckin' long though. Leatherface got in because NRS listened to the sound of $.

Still not reversing their decision to release on PS3/X360, are they? So 'for once' is more or less accurate.

...Yes i'm still hurt by that sting of betrayal like a Kamidogu dagger to the heart.

STATE FED LIES CHARM EMPTY EYES. Anon.
DarkKard4Posted: 01/16/2016 07:56 AMStatus ::

Visits::3398
RE: NetherRealm Studios Announce Enhanced MKX Online Beta

i'm glad they're listening to fans regarding this at least. So props to the NRS team for fixing Online mode. This is a welcomed thing and it will perhaps make the game's life span longer instead of becoming dead so quick.

J-spitPosted: 01/16/2016 09:33 AMStatus ::

Visits::7211
RE: NetherRealm Studios Announce Enhanced MKX Online Beta

"Aaaw Damn!"

I can't wait. Hope I can squeeze in.

Twilight Muthafuckin' Sparkle

Sig by TheCypher
KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 01/16/2016 10:40 AMStatus ::

Visits::19710

BADASS6669 Wrote:
Asesino Wrote:
Detox Wrote:

I may sign up for this.

Couple things:

MKX might be the best selling fighting game of 2015 but it really doesn't mean jack when less than 90% of your playerbase is gone. Some will come back but probably not as many as people think. SFV and KI won't sell as much but they're in it for the long game.

SFV looks great. MK's realistic look in fights is boring as shit. I never understood why a game that's all about over the top everything has fights that look so boring.

photo 08EDBB95-0972-4D12-94BB-8107B5418EAA_zpsyuwphky8.jpg
AsesinoPosted: 01/16/2016 11:03 AMStatus ::

Visits::14140
Nationality::Bulgaria

Who the hell even wants to help NS for their beta for free ? Are you crazy ? What they did for you for free ??? Yeah, that's right nothing! Plus beta testing would be interesting for doing free if the game wasn't released. Now it's straight up job, but you won't get paid. If they give me the opportunity to purchase Noob Saibot and Blaze I would help them. If not I'm sure there are a lot of you who don't have what else to do, but to work for free.

unleash_your_toungePosted: 01/16/2016 11:17 AMStatus ::

Visits::5818

BADASS6669 Wrote:
SFV looks like it has Nintendo 64 graphics

I lol'd.

Is it weird that I can see why you'd make that comparison? Lol. But then again, SF's art style has never done it for me anyway.

I just want to be able to consistently punish and anti-air online. Jump ins and crossovers are outta control.

Also, it will be absolutely fantastic being able to use my full length BnBs. No more sacrificing 2-8%.

"Life, for all it's anguish, is ours Miss Ives. It belongs to no other." - Ferdinand Lyle
xysionPosted: 01/16/2016 12:11 PMStatus ::

Visits::260
Nationality::Italy

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:

MKX might be the best selling fighting game of 2015 but it really doesn't mean jack when less than 90% of your playerbase is gone. Some will come back but probably not as many as people think. SFV and KI won't sell as much but they're in it for the long game.

Never understood the logic behind that to be honest. Most games active player base diminishes greatly after the first month or so. That is why Call of Duty releases annually and it is much more profitable. Only a very few select games can retain their playerbase. Call of Duty sells ten of millions of copies and nine months later a fraction of that install base plays.

People got other games to play and other things to do. Even if a person liked MKX, only a month later people bought The Witcher 3 and played that. Then you had Batman: Arkham Knight after that.

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:

SFV looks great. MK's realistic look in fights is boring as shit. I never understood why a game that's all about over the top everything has fights that look so boring.

I doubt SFV looks great is a universal opinion of the game since I can clearly remember a lot of fans questioning that game's graphics when it got revealed. A lot of people did not even think it was that much of a leap from SF4. Also I read a lot of complaints about the art style form SF4 and SFV. If there is anything MKX had little complaints about, it was the graphics.

What I do not understand is that MKX engine is based on Unreal Engine 3 and SFV graphics engine is Unreal Engine 4. SFV should blow MKX out of the water when actually it is the other way round.

Lazio? La prima squadra della Capitale.
KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 01/16/2016 01:12 PMStatus ::

xysion Wrote:
KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:

Never understood the logic behind that to be honest. Most games active player base diminishes greatly after the first month or so. That is why Call of Duty releases annually and it is much more profitable. Only a very few select games can retain their playerbase. Call of Duty sells ten of millions of copies and nine months later a fraction of that install base plays.

People got other games to play and other things to do. Even if a person liked MKX, only a month later people bought The Witcher 3 and played that. Then you had Batman: Arkham Knight after that.

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:

I doubt SFV looks great is a universal opinion of the game since I can clearly remember a lot of fans questioning that game's graphics when it got revealed. A lot of people did not even think it was that much of a leap from SF4. Also I read a lot of complaints about the art style form SF4 and SFV. If there is anything MKX had little complaints about, it was the graphics.

What I do not understand is that MKX engine is based on Unreal Engine 3 and SFV graphics engine is Unreal Engine 4. SFV should blow MKX out of the water when actually it is the other way round.

CoD is a bad example. Even if the playerbase diminishes, it still has a considerably larger playerbase than a fighting game. And it's not just because of the sales, it has more to do with the barrier of entry. CoD is a very simple game to play, fighting games are not. Even though they can be played at a basic level it still takes more time and dedication.

But let's look at SF4, it's been years but it STILL has a very active playerbase. Is it as high as it was at launch? Absolutely not. But it still retains a shit ton of players. MKX has a flickering playerbase and it hasn't even been a year yet. Bad timing is a part of it as well as the netcode. Only time will tell if MK can bring life back into itself.

Is it a universal opinion? Probably not but I don't care if it is or if it isn't. The fuck do I care if people think it looks good or not? I think the character models, stages, and effects look great. Oh and the smoothness, my god is the game smooth. It flows with such fluidity. Do the characters look bulky? Yes but they still look good so I'm happy.

But I wasn 't referring to graphics when I was talking about the realistic approach. I was talking more about the fights themselves. When you hit someone there's no exaggerated effect or anything. Blood spills and eventually the floor becomes a slip and slide. It's so basic and boring. And a lot of the hits lack any kind of meaningful impact.

SFV fights as a whole are much more entertaining to watch to me because they know how to make fights look interesting. Whereas MK thought a realistic approach to a game you punch a guy so hard in the dick his fucking head comes off was a good idea. The fights should be so much more exciting than they are in MK.

As for the engine, I think they wanted to focus on what was important like the gameplay and netcode. Whereas MK wanted to look pretty but play like shit online.

DetoxPosted: 01/16/2016 01:18 PMStatus ::

Visits::4247

Played a few rounds online last night. Got worked by a Jaqui, and played a few frustrating games with a scorp/predator. Everything is so unpunishable, haha. I may actually play online if this new code actually forces something other than brain dead jump ins and yolo armor moves.

Photobucket

There are bigger sacrifices one might be asked to make than going a little mad.
xysionPosted: 01/16/2016 01:52 PMStatus ::

Visits::260
Nationality::Italy

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:

But let's look at SF4, it's been years but it STILL has a very active playerbase. Is it as high as it was at launch? Absolutely not. But it still retains a shit ton of players. MKX has a flickering playerbase and it hasn't even been a year yet. Bad timing is a part of it as well as the netcode. Only time will tell if MK can bring life back into itself.

Does it? Seth Killian who was the Capcom community manager says that fighting game online diminishes pretty damn quickly.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/20/seth-killian-discusses-rising-thunders-fighter-heresy-online-focus-and-moba-inspiration/2/

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:

Is it a universal opinion? Probably not but I don't care if it is or if it isn't. The fuck do I care if people think it looks good or not? I think the character models, stages, and effects look great. Oh and the smoothness, my god is the game smooth. It flows with such fluidity. Do the characters look bulky? Yes but they still look good so I'm happy.

But I wasn 't referring to graphics when I was talking about the realistic approach. I was talking more about the fights themselves. When you hit someone there's no exaggerated effect or anything. Blood spills and eventually the floor becomes a slip and slide. It's so basic and boring. And a lot of the hits lack any kind of meaningful impact.

SFV fights as a whole are much more entertaining to watch to me because they know how to make fights look interesting. Whereas MK thought a realistic approach to a game you punch a guy so hard in the dick his fucking head comes off was a good idea. The fights should be so much more exciting than they are in MK.

Yeah, that is like your opinion and that is great but I do not think the majority agree with it. So there is that for what it is worth.

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:

As for the engine, I think they wanted to focus on what was important like the gameplay and netcode. Whereas MK wanted to look pretty but play like shit online.

If they wanted to focus on gameplay they would have stuck to their custom engine since that is the code they are used to and know the best. They are using Unreal Engine 4 for graphics and the cross platform play feature.

Lazio? La prima squadra della Capitale.
BADASS6669Posted: 01/16/2016 04:08 PMStatus ::

Visits::5695

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:
BADASS6669 Wrote:
Asesino Wrote:
Detox Wrote:

I may sign up for this.

Couple things:

Where did you get your 90% fact? Unless you work for NRS, Microsoft or Sony your making it up. So what's the number then? You said less than 90% is 89%, 13% 45%

Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is forgiven, so Sex is in. I kill people for a living. Get over it.
KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 01/16/2016 04:22 PMStatus ::

BADASS6669 Wrote:
KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:
BADASS6669 Wrote:
Asesino Wrote:
Detox Wrote:

I may sign up for this.

Couple things:

Where did you get your 90% fact? Unless you work for NRS, Microsoft or Sony your making it up. So what's the number then? You said less than 90% is 89%, 13% 45%

Yeah it's a guess. I never said it was undisputed fact. It's probably exaggerated but the point is the playerbase is considerably smaller than it was months ago.

KenshiMaster16Posted: 01/16/2016 04:54 PMStatus ::

Visits::10125

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:
Yeah it's a guess. I never said it was undisputed fact. It's probably exaggerated but the point is the playerbase is considerably smaller than it was months ago.

I mean, that's the case with any game though. Even with a steady stream of content and being a major AAA title, it's always going to go down significantly because new games come out that take its attention away.

What matters is what the developers do when the player base starts to go and how those who stick around are rewarded. Like GTA: Online for example. Terrible rollout, fun-ass game though. A lot of people dropped off due to the problems but look at the massive amount of content Rockstar is still dropping to this day even for the people like me who stuck around.

With NRS putting out KP2 (despite the fact it's largely shit) and now an improved netcode, that does nothing but benefit me and those who've stuck around and still want to support the game in some fashion. That's an incredibly good thing. The more good stuff that comes out, the more people will eventually potentially come back and see what's going on. It's never going to be as high as it was in the first few months but this, the way they are deciding to handle things now, are major steps being taken in the proper direction and I cannot praise them enough for this netcode business. I literally never thought I'd see the day.

VerminatorXPosted: 01/17/2016 03:48 AMStatus ::

Visits::151

I don`t think it`s much of MKX support, they had to finally develop a civilized netcode, they would not get away with more fighting games with crappy online.

umbrascitorPosted: 01/17/2016 06:54 AMStatus ::

Visits::761

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:
I wasn 't referring to graphics when I was talking about the realistic approach. I was talking more about the fights themselves. When you hit someone there's no exaggerated effect or anything. Blood spills and eventually the floor becomes a slip and slide. It's so basic and boring. And a lot of the hits lack any kind of meaningful impact.

That's odd. I just watched a video of SF5 gameplay and it's hard for me to imagine it less over the top and interesting. Everything looks so choppy and jerky, and I guess you can call that "exaggerated" "impact" but it doesn't work for me. Meanwhile, there is no way I can watch Mileena roll across the screen and combo into a divekick from the sky and repeatedly stab someone in the neck without finding it exciting to watch. More exciting than watching Ryu and Bison hop around and poke each other gently, anyway.

Sure, MK characters don't get splattered with kaleidoscopic cartoon explosions every time they get hit, but that's never been what MK was about. The highlight of MK is the special move carnivals that go into the combos, and the last two games have doubled and tripled down on that.

Different strokes, I guess.

Never shake hands with a man who wears his heart on his sleeve. ~ Master Fuji's Fortune Cookie
KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 01/17/2016 09:37 AMStatus ::

umbrascitor Wrote:
but that's never been what MK was about.

I disagree.

Now sure, there wasn't a large abundance of colors but when you got hit with an uppercut back in the day you saw a blood explosion. They don't need to make it look like a circus of color but they should emphasize the blood a bit more. As of right now, it just kinda comes out and stays on the ground, turning the floor into a slip and slide. Which looks fucking stupid. I'd say the MK2-MK4 games had more interesting looking fights than the ones we have today. Those games embraced the over the top nature of themselves.

But the point I'm trying to make is I find it hypocritical for a fighting game to take a realistic approach to the fights, but still be over the top violent in everything else. The over the top attitude should carry over to the fights themselves.

And it 's not just SF that does a better job to me, KI and Tekken have more exciting fights to watch as well.

redmanPosted: 01/17/2016 11:03 AMStatus ::

Visits::4716

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:
umbrascitor Wrote:
but that's never been what MK was about.

I disagree.

Now sure, there wasn't a large abundance of colors but when you got hit with an uppercut back in the day you saw a blood explosion. They don't need to make it look like a circus of color but they should emphasize the blood a bit more. As of right now, it just kinda comes out and stays on the ground, turning the floor into a slip and slide. Which looks fucking stupid. I'd say the MK2-MK4 games had more interesting looking fights than the ones we have today. Those games embraced the over the top nature of themselves.

But the point I'm trying to make is I find it hypocritical for a fighting game to take a realistic approach to the fights, but still be over the top violent in everything else. The over the top attitude should carry over to the fights themselves.

And it 's not just SF that does a better job to me, KI and Tekken have more exciting fights to watch as well.

I find it interesting that you bring up the blood, and I sort of agree a bit. I actually think it's a problem with the blood color, since in the early games it was a very bright shade of red, and around MK:DA or so they started making it a lot darker, and harder to see. If you play against the Predator, you can see his blood fly everywhere when you're hitting him, but against a normal character, it's a lot harder to see. Might be wrong on this, but yeah, I would like more blood in general as well, and the battle damage needs to be increased. Even though the battle damage in MK9 was insane, when you're done fighting in MKX there's barely any blood on you. It's especially noticeable fighting against Predator, after you're done with the match, there is barely ANY blood on you even though there's green blood all over the damn stage. I like the little cuts they added when fighting against Mileena, or burn damage fighting against Goro, Raiden, or Shinnok, but there should be more imo.

Also, seriously, MK needs some exciting music already. I'm fine with the MK:D style they're doing for this game, but a lot of people aren't, and tbh it doesn't make the fight all that hype. Compared to KI, where the music pumps you up and the stage changes, it really adds to the atmosphere of the match.

Page of 3

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.