Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (20.9%)
Jade (43.5%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (25.8%)
Freddy Krueger (9.6%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • December 15th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Limited Console Free Trial [Read On]
  • December 7th, 2017
    Atom Battles Black Manta in Gameplay Trailer [Read On]
  • November 28th, 2017
    Captain Marvel Almost Returned in Injustice Fighter Pack 0 [Read On]
  • November 23rd, 2017
    Mortal Kombat X Mobile - Punk Cassie Challenge [Read On]
  • November 18th, 2017
    Mortal Kombat Funko Store Signing - Sunday [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

3D Kombat Klassics

Discussing the 3D MK Klassics: Everything from MK4 to Armageddon.
Page of 1

Venkman28Posted: 04/02/2016 11:07 PMStatus ::

Visits::95
Why there is so much hate towards the 3D era games?

I've noticed on this forum there is a nostalgia for the original Trilogy, but the 3d era was the worst thing to happen to the series and that's how MK lost its appeal.

I didn't think the 3d era was bad, it did try to expand the story with doing risky moves like killing off Liu Kang and the good guys don't win after Deadly Alliance. While the graphics look clunky now, it was the standard for fighting games to be in a 3d era for the 2000's. Deception to me was one of the bleaker Mortal Kombat games and the endings were cool. I'll admit, I thought Armageddon was rushed when playing it and not given time. Some new characters were pretty cool like Kenshi and Li Mei.

But a franchise cannot do the same thing over and over. We can't have Mortal Kombat 3 every 2-4 years.

Why do you posters think there's hate towards this era?

I know what I have given you. I do not know what you have received.
OrangatangKangPosted: 05/16/2016 07:22 PMStatus ::

Visits::519
Nationality::United States
RE: Why there is so much hate towards the 3D era games?

I believe MK Armageddon was really the only hated 3D era game due to....pretty much everything LOL. Although I did like the Kreate a Fighter feature.

WATAHHHHHHHHH!!!
PickleMendipPosted: 06/05/2016 05:44 AMStatus ::

Visits::29
Nationality::United Kingdom

I started my love affair for MK with MKDA, so i love the 3D era, and i wish people would stop bashing it.

Yes, some of the newer characters from that era suck, but many of them don't and it doesn't get the praise for that.

also, the combo system was truly immersive and amazing for what it was. It was possible to translate the skills learnt in one game to the next, unlike now where the characters have all-new movesets to learn.

STATE FED LIES CHARM EMPTY EYES. Anon.
Venkman28Posted: 06/07/2016 09:35 PMStatus ::

Visits::95

PickleMendip Wrote:
I started my love affair for MK with MKDA, so i love the 3D era, and i wish people would stop bashing it.

Yes, some of the newer characters from that era suck, but many of them don't and it doesn't get the praise for that.

also, the combo system was truly immersive and amazing for what it was. It was possible to translate the skills learnt in one game to the next, unlike now where the characters have all-new movesets to learn.

There were some bad characters from that era no doubt, but there were plenty of good ones too. I thought the combo system was nice and Konquest for Deadly Alliance and Deception were fun. I liked how the fighters used different martial arts for styles.

I never really saw the hatred fans have for the 3D era until I was on this forum and gamefaqs.

I know what I have given you. I do not know what you have received.
Hideo_SakaguchiPosted: 10/27/2017 11:02 PMStatus ::

Visits::1103

Seems like a lot of people hate the 3D era but I loved all the 3D games (including MK 4 and MK vs DC). I always loved the lore and characters of the old games when I was growing up and I love how eloborate the stories and lore got starting with Deadly Alliance.

Although Armageddon was clearly rushed out the door I think the DA/Deception/Armageddon era was incredibly statisfying. I spent months on each of those games individually when they were new and every few years I get the urge to revisit them. When I go get the urge I usually spend a good month going through all three games finishing the Konquest modes and unlocking the character endings on new profiles.

I typically go back to the DA-Armageddon era more so than the MK 1-4 erabecause there’s so much content in the 3D games. I do think the current era (MK 9 and X) is the best overall. Then I would say the classic (MK 1-4) era is the second best and lastly the 3D era was the weakest but I like all ten main fighting games and I go through phases with each game (like I’ll get an itch for MK 4 and play nothing but MK 4/Gold for a week). I don’t think any of the fighting games - Armageddon and DC Universe included - qualifies as a bad game. Although I will admit that in regards to Armageddon most of the time I play it I am either doing Konquest runs or screwing around in Kreate-a-Fighter than slogging through the actual arcade mode (the fact that you can’t save the “endings” makes going though the ladder with every character pointless).

Anyway that’s just my opinion. I’ve always enjoyed the story and character aspect of the MK games just as much as I enjoyed the game play so that’s probably why I have such great memories of the PS2 games. I would gladly drop sixty bucks for an HD Collection (sorry.... Kollection) of the PS2 games for the PS4 or XB1.

Must kill Sub-Zero. Whee~
SwingBattaPosted: 10/28/2017 06:09 PMStatus ::

Visits::1720

NRS created a bunch of new characters for the 3D games, but aside from Kenshi, they then couldn't be bothered to expand on them thereafter after basically deciding to piss away the series with Armageddon.

As a result of NRS' separation anxiety, we had characters WAY past their shelf date like Kano and Kung Lao inserted into MKX instead of giving the 3D guys a second breath.

Page of 1

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.