Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 2 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Round 1: FIGHT!
Kano (60%)
Tremor (40%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • May 26th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Concept Artist Shares Static & More [Read On]
  • May 24th, 2017
    E3 Coliseum Guest Ed Boon to Chat Mortal Kombat 25th [Read On]
  • May 24th, 2017
    Mortal Kombat X Mobile - Tanya Challenge [Read On]
  • May 22nd, 2017
    Injustice 2: Fighter Pack 1 Character Renders [Read On]
  • May 18th, 2017
    Oren Uziel Discusses Mortal Kombat Movie Script [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Future MK Games

Discussion of all future Mortal Kombat Games.
Page of 2

Mick-LuciferPosted: 05/17/2016 11:05 AMStatus ::
NetherRealm Creative Director Polls Next Project

Will they or won't they? That's been the question surrounding additional downloadable content for Mortal Kombat X. A poll posted by NetherRealm Creative Director Ed Boon asked fans what they'd like to see the studio develop next - and it's DLC that is still dominating fans minds!

44%, or roughly 5730 fans, voted in favour of more downloadable content for Mortal Kombat X! The extension of content for the current game pipped a Shaolin Monks adventure title sequel at 31%, or a completely new Mortal Kombat X sequel at 25%. 13,020 Twitter users registered their opinion.

Even the seasoned series co-creator noted surprise at the end result, "Wow, certainly to my surprise....Kombat Pack 3 wins! To even MORE surprise.... MK11 comes in LAST!" Boon's been getting to know fans through many poll subjects of late, including April polls about missing MKX males and females.

The top selling tenth installment in the Mortal Kombat series saw NetherRealm Studios release the biggest crop of post-release extras since they began producing DLC in 2011. Mortal Kombat XL bundled all extras into a complete download and disc release, including late arriving klassic arena The Pit, and Kombat Pack 2 fighters.

Surprising playable omissions [read more] and inaccessible non-playable characters [read more] have kept many fans fixated on further downloadable additions. As leaders in the industry experiment further with DLC platforms and expand post-release content models, it's clear the method becomes further ingrained in the mindset of fans eager to see more.

Traditionally, a second release like Mortal Kombat XL indicates the end of a game's development lifespan, committing a complete content library to disc. This has the benefit of ensuring easy, long term access to fans who wish to play the game for years to come -- even without future publisher support, or changes in content licensing. "Kombat Pack 3" may seem attractive in the short term, but it begs the question: Would this also necessitate a third Mortal Kombat XXL, or would you be happy to lose your DLC?

It's been over ten years since Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks was released for PlayStation 2 and Xbox. The third-person action-adventure game expanded the events of Mortal Kombat II into a story-driven 3D brawler starring Liu Kang and Kung Lao. Featured unlockable characters were Sub-Zero and Scorpion.

Inconsistency in characterization and plotlines drew criticism from ardent fans at the time, but a fundamentally enjoyable gaming experience ensured Shaolin Monks amassed a strong dedicated following. Co-op and one-on-one fighting modes expanded a base that superbly adapted play style from the traditional 2D fighting games.

Fans of Shaolin Monks, and subsequent Konquest game modes, have continued to call for a modern sequel or HD rerelease for years. Boon discussed the genesis of the original during Mortal Kombat X promotion in 2014, revealing its origins as a Raiden demo pitch from an outside studio [full story].

It might be argued that fans' short-term desires overwhelmed their choice of Kombat Pack 3 over the option of an entire new game. Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts, and a new game can provide many characters! What's undeniable: the fact that Mortal Kombat X has connected with fans who continue to seek more from the game.

[Related Article: Speculation: Is NetherRealm Studios Preparing For Injustice 2?]

Former DC Comics writer Jim Krueger contributed to the story script for Shaolin Monks. Interestingly enough, Boon singled out the absence of an Injustice: Gods Among Us option on his poll: "LOL ... That's not on the list."

What do you want to see next? Register to tell us what NetherRealm Studio's next game should be on the forum. Do you want one of these options, or something else? Share your thoughts, and share this article via @MK_Online and Facebook!

KenshiMaster16Posted: 05/12/2016 11:27 PMStatus ::

Visits::10063
Nationality::United States
New Twitter Poll From Ed

Not surprisingly, KP3 is winning so far.

Dragon Points:
DarkKard4Posted: 05/12/2016 11:31 PMStatus ::

Visits::3398
RE: New Twitter Poll From Ed

fuck kombat pack 3 tbh.

new game please!

JasonVPredPosted: 05/13/2016 12:10 AMStatus ::

Visits::788

I honestly want MK 11 or Shaolin Monks 2 over KP3 because my platform is excluded, it makes me jealous of those who may get the kombat pack on the consoles, if they ever plan on releasing one.

... here's your Subzero, now plain zero.
ViSilvaPosted: 05/13/2016 12:36 AMStatus ::

Visits::666
Nationality::Brazil

Guest's Confirmed

photo sdww2_zpsvmchsi30.png
ViSilvaPosted: 05/13/2016 12:40 AMStatus ::

Shaolin Monks in this new generation, with beautiful graphs would be simply incredible, but fans of Mortal Kombat has no conscience....

KenshiMaster16Posted: 05/13/2016 01:56 AMStatus ::

Visits::10063

DarkKard4 Wrote:
fuck kombat pack 3 tbh.

new game please!

Honestly, I agree with this. Not really interested in 2 extra MK characters along with 2 more shitty guests. I'd prefer 25+ MK characters in a new setting.

AsesinoPosted: 05/13/2016 01:58 AMStatus ::

Visits::13816
Nationality::Bulgaria

Shaolin Monk 2 for please. 10x,

DetoxPosted: 05/13/2016 09:51 AMStatus ::

Visits::4215

Wow, shocked there's no mention of Injustice 2. Wouldn't mind any of the choices to be honest.

Thanks to MINION for the awesome sig

There are bigger sacrifices one might be asked to make than going a little mad.
DG1OAPosted: 05/13/2016 10:00 AMStatus ::

Visits::4927

Tough choice.

But if we got another adventure game, does it have to be specifically another game starring the monks? Why not someone who didn't already get a spinoff? Also, quite frankly, it's the Special Forces who deserve a second chance at a spinoff, imo. I want a MK:SF remake that's either closer to Tobias' vision, or at the very least better than what we got, with Sonya being actually in the game.

Demon_0Posted: 05/13/2016 06:19 PMStatus ::

Visits::4663
Nationality::Afghanistan

Kombat pack 3 winning over Shaolin Monks sequel and MK11? Are these voters that stupid? You want a few more cameo and guest characters over an entire new game? Really?! MK fans.....

Avatar is part of fanart created by Esau13
SpacemanPosted: 05/13/2016 06:25 PMStatus ::

Visits::2136

I'll take KP3 with no guest characters directly followed by Injustice 2 please. That would be my dream at least. That said tho I would take about anything.

I highly doubt it'd be MK11 tho, out of all the options this is the least likely. Its still just too soon (not that I wouldn't be hype as fuck if they did start making it already). I'm thinkin that with Boon's recent poll of who would we want in a KP3 followed by this poll it kinda points to there being a KP3. Which would be awesome of them to support their game over a year after release. Really hope they learned from the backlash and don't fuck it up again with more guest characters that no one asked for.

Or they have been working on SM 2 instead of Injustice 2 and will reveal a trailer for that at some point in the future OR this is just klassic Ed Boon misdirection trolling and they release a trailer for Injustice 2 at Evo or around then and we get none of the above (at least not for a long time).

MindStrikesPosted: 05/13/2016 06:59 PMStatus ::

Visits::279
Nationality::Italy

Im so hungry for a Mortal Kombat adventure. Shaolin Monks 2 100% No care for KP3

Hooky-FookyPosted: 05/13/2016 07:43 PMStatus ::

Visits::1061

Demon_0 Wrote:
Kombat pack 3 winning over Shaolin Monks sequel and MK11? Are these voters that stupid? You want a few more cameo and guest characters over an entire new game? Really?! MK fans.....

Yes, they are.

coltessPosted: 05/13/2016 10:01 PMStatus ::

Visits::5214

INJUSTICE 2

*slinks quietly out of the room*

Sig by MINION
PickleMendipPosted: 05/14/2016 02:47 AMStatus ::

Visits::29
Nationality::United Kingdom

Hooky-Fooky Wrote:
Demon_0 Wrote:

Yes, they are.

I don't see the problem in wanting to keep this game's life cycle going a bit longer with fresh updates to the roster, as long as there are NO MORE guests. I mean, it was a huge endeavour for the MK team to make this game as massive as it is, packed with so many modes and things. Can you blame them for wanting to keep going with what is essentially a world wide enterprise?

The people that voted for KP3 are probably the ones hoping against and beyond all hope that THIS will be the one with Fujin/Li Mei/Rain/whomever they particularly want above all others.

What i wouldn't mind seeing is alt costumes for Tanya, Goro etc. Maybe another stage too.

There's plenty of time for SM sequel/remake and MK11 later.

STATE FED LIES CHARM EMPTY EYES. Anon.
DG1OAPosted: 05/14/2016 12:06 PMStatus ::

I agree with you about keeping MKX going for a little longer, PickleMendip.

In my case, I'm especially hoping for Li Mei, in part so that excellent design isn't wasted on a NPC, and Baraka, because it would be a wasted opportunity on NRS' part to leave Baraka out of a playable roster that feature the Alien and the Predator, with said Alien being born from a Tarkata, to top it off.

I like guests, but at this stage, if we get four more characters, I'd rather we get more underrated/underused MK characters. Although, if we got Li Mei and Baraka, then anyone else is pretty much a bonus, to me, though I'd find Noob Saibot and Shang Tsung a bit disappointing (at least if we got them both).

NinjorPosted: 05/14/2016 12:57 PMStatus ::

Visits::108

They should release a costume pack that contains Hotshot Johnny Cage, Revenant Kung Lao and Revenant Liu Kang. They are the only three costumes I'm missing.

frabnPosted: 05/14/2016 01:12 PMStatus ::

Visits::531

Calling voters who chose KP3 "stupid" is itself incredibly stupid. What is wrong with continuing the life cycle of a game that thousands of people still play? This game marks the first time that Mortal Kombat has been taken to such high levels of competitive play. Not that I gave a damn about "e-sports" (rofl..."sports"), but this is the biggest MK release ever. Continued support of a game I continue to play regularly over a year after its release, when most fighting games burn out in less than 2 weeks?

Hell yes.

Well, you all got your Tremor now. Can we finally move on?
ViSilvaPosted: 05/14/2016 05:01 PMStatus ::

frabn Wrote:
Calling voters who chose KP3 "stupid" is itself incredibly stupid. What is wrong with continuing the life cycle of a game that thousands of people still play? This game marks the first time that Mortal Kombat has been taken to such high levels of competitive play. Not that I gave a damn about "e-sports" (rofl..."sports"), but this is the biggest MK release ever. Continued support of a game I continue to play regularly over a year after its release, when most fighting games burn out in less than 2 weeks?

Hell yes.

cough cough Killer Instinct cough cough.

For me MKX has given WHAT had to give. It was a good game ? YES, he deserve more content? NO.
Just imagine it was the same person who made Mortal Kombat 9!

Heavy-RainPosted: 05/14/2016 07:06 PMStatus ::

Visits::654

Fucking A... I want MK 11 some I can finally get some characters I want instead of the same old recycled shit. I don't want another lame kombat pack or sm 2.

Fuck the lame ass guest characters...what a waste.

I want MK 11 with Fujin, Reiko, Havok, and the such..

ViSilvaPosted: 05/14/2016 07:49 PMStatus ::

Heavy-Rain Wrote:
Fucking A... I want MK 11 some I can finally get some characters I want instead of the same old recycled shit. I don't want another lame kombat pack or sm 2.

Fuck the lame ass guest characters...what a waste.

I want MK 11 with Fujin, Reiko, Havok, and the such..

You want more Guest ? Havok....

Warbro666Posted: 05/15/2016 01:53 AMStatus ::

Visits::220
Nationality::New Zealand

frabn Wrote:

Hell yes.

100% agree. Sick to death of all the crybabies who are dismissing KP3 because they didn't get their favourite characters earlier. Continuing the life cycle of a game beyond a year is a good precedent to set. Especially considering that Boon seems to be doing what everybody was bitching that he should do, polling which characters people want.

frabnPosted: 05/15/2016 03:28 AMStatus ::

Visits::531

ViSilva Wrote:

cough cough Killer Instinct cough cough.

For me MKX has given WHAT had to give. It was a good game ? YES, he deserve more content? NO.

Just imagine it was the same person who made Mortal Kombat 9!

What about Killer Instinct?

I walked into a Gamestop once for the first time in years, saw it on display, played it for 5 minutes, thought to myself "this isn't the KI I remember" and never played it again. There's no reason why MKX can't continue to have "seasonal" release schedules. Lots of games have that now. Even though I spit on EA in most cases, Battlefront is a prime example - they have content planned out all the way through spring 2017. That's very ambitious to assume that game's life cycle will last that long.

MKX, MK11, MK Adventure game, I don't give a damn - I just want more Kombat.

Well, you all got your Tremor now. Can we finally move on?
DG1OAPosted: 05/15/2016 10:17 AMStatus ::

Just so we're clear: By a "MKSM sequel", do they literally mean that, or do they mean another adventure game in general that could star anyone else?

If the former, then I must ask again: why the monks again?

If the monks get a second spinoff, I really hope it's an original story and not an oversimplified retelling of an existing game's.

Page of 2

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.