Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 1 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Round 1: FIGHT!
Sonya Blade (14.2%)
Nightwolf (85.7%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • May 22nd, 2017
    Injustice 2: Fighter Pack 1 Character Renders [Read On]
  • May 18th, 2017
    Oren Uziel Discusses Mortal Kombat Movie Script [Read On]
  • May 16th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Officially Released Today! [Read On]
  • May 16th, 2017
    Ed Boon Discusses Injustice 2 Development & Content [Read On]
  • May 15th, 2017
    Early Release Reveals Six Injustice 2 Premier Skins [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Media & Merchandise

Discussing Mortal Kombat in Movies, Television, New Media and Merchandising.
Page of 1

Mick-LuciferPosted: 06/13/2016 05:17 AMStatus ::
Lost Kontent: Mortal Komat Encyclopaedia Mock Proofs

The saga of the Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia has been a long and winding one. Mortal Kombat Online first reported on mounting fan interest for a printed tome in the middle of last year [full story]. In the time since, the project has evolved and escalated under the guidance of dedicated fan Ninja_Arts aka; Myke Snow.

Earlier in the year, Snow provided MK Online with early drafts of the mock-ups that provide proof of concept for the book. The designs provide a hypothetical blueprint for DK Publishing, potential consumers, and the ultimate hold-out: Ed Boon and NetherRealm Studios. Click to enlarge examples below:

Support for the We Want An MK Lore Encyclopedia petition has reduced to a steady trickle in the past eleven months, last achieving the 6,000 e-signature milestone. Enthusiasm from die hard supporters, however, has remained an intense, undeterred torrent of moltenous passion!

The subsequent contribution of additional champions, such as designer Anthony Wenc and the @EncylopediaMK Twitter account, has kept the concept alive and developing before our very eyes. Wenc's designs in particular lend further credibility to the concept, bringing the sensibility of newer mock-ups even more in line with existing Mortal Kombat products.

Exactly what's stopping the publication of an MK Encyclopaedia is a little uncertain, but it's likely there are multiple factors in consideration. The demands of a definitive source certainly ask creative questions the developers have shied away from in an era defined by inconsistency, retold history, and other development priorities.

A franchise reboot in 2011 muddied the waters of Mortal Kombat's once steady and expanding lore. The introduction of third-party content through DC Comics, while enjoyable for fans, further imposes inconsistency incompatible with an authoritative encyclopaedia publication. Comics writer Shawn Kittelsen has shown support for the project, but parent companies may prefer the ambiguity supplied by the modern games. The greatest c hallenge of an in-fiction encyclopaedia: quality control.

The most important factor behind any printed Mortal Kombat source will be interest from cash carrying consumers: the fans. You can show your support by signing the petition, following @EncyclopediaMK and making your voice heard through constructive comment on the forum!

[Related Article: Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2016!]

Register to find and discuss all products coming from the Mortal Kombat license in the Media & Merchandise forum! Support the kommunity by liking and sharing all things Kombat via @MK_Online, Facebook & YouTube!

]{0MBATPosted: 06/13/2016 06:20 AMStatus ::

Visits::13746
Nationality::United States
RE: Lost Kontent: Mortal Komat Encyclopaedia Mock Proofs

For anyone who hasn't seen the interview yet....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VW1yYZRs6w

unleash_your_toungePosted: 06/13/2016 06:50 AMStatus ::

Visits::5818

My god that Reptile page is amazing!

"Life, for all it's anguish, is ours Miss Ives. It belongs to no other." - Ferdinand Lyle
KenshiMaster16Posted: 06/13/2016 07:49 AMStatus ::

Visits::10061

Gotta give major props to making it to 6K. Happy to have helped spread the word and more than happy to keep helping this project move forward as much as I possibly can. We should all be doing our part to get this in front of as many eyes as possible.

Keep on pushing guys, let's get this thing made.

Blade4693Posted: 06/13/2016 09:41 AMStatus ::

Visits::3252

It doesn't look like we are making enough progress with the petition for them to make it...somebody ask them on twitter if they are willing to accept a community fund? Killer Instinct had one to make Shadow Jago his ow character with new moves etc. and the fanbase raised more than enough money in a single day for them to make Shago...we can do the same for this. If we post links here, TYM, TRMK, wherever I am sure we can raise the money.

The_TooCool_MasterPosted: 06/13/2016 11:18 AMStatus ::

Visits::2359
Nationality::Canada

WB has forbidden us from doing crowdfunding.

If the publisher the project leader is in talks with isn't able to help us convince WB/NRS, the only way the book will come out is if we do it ourselves and charge people the exact printing price.

That's why it's important to get the word out as much as possible! :)

For those who don't know, I'm the guy who did the minimalist mock-ups. They were done that way to mimic the design of MKX and give the content more importance. The one in the article is also mine but it's an old one while we were doing "alpha" mock-ups to find out how we would present the content in the real mock-ups.

Here are the 4 mock-ups that ended up in the prototype book. You can click on them to see a bigger version.

Ninja_ArtsPosted: 06/13/2016 07:40 PMStatus ::

Visits::10438

Absolutely, and what's missing from that post is that one of our prototypes (We had 5 physical books made) is sitting inside NRS right now. The others are in the following places:
1: Galloping Ghost Arcade / With Daniel Pesina
2: Warner Bros Consumer Products
3. Prima Games (I called to confirm they have it.)
4. John Vogel

Mind you, we are getting 5 more made and sent out to various social medias, but we are busting our butts to get this book to be a real thing. The REAL book probably won't look like the mock ups, but we want to show them the possibilities.

As of now, DK Books, Prima and a Third Unnamed publisher are interested in this book. I can't name the 3rd one because I've been asked not to include them until they know for sure if they can get clearance.

We ask that folks keep pestering NRS and Boon and company. This will only help our cause!

Maybe one day I'll probably make more of an impact than you'll ever fake. Sign the official petition for an MK LORE ENCYCLOPEDIA: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/553/418/526/mk-fans-unite-we-want-an-mk-lore-encyclopedia/?taf_id=13672050&cid=fb_na#
SwingBattaPosted: 06/14/2016 01:57 AMStatus ::

Visits::1563

If this project ever comes to fruition, hopefully Noob Saibot's name in the Netherealm section won't be improperly hyphenated.

Ninja_ArtsPosted: 06/16/2016 08:08 AMStatus ::

John Vogel got a copy of the prototype yesterday, and needless to say he was impressed. I don't think anyone really appreciates what we're doing until they get one of these in their hands. It's a different story, then.

Another copy is waiting for Ed when he gets back. I'm flying to Chicago today (In a couple hours) and one of the days I'm there I'm going to try and swing by NRS to try and talk to someone who can help me out in getting this book made.

Also going to stop by GGA and play some old school MK and possibly meet up with some MK folks.

So we are gaining some steam here, folks. It's just a little, but it's enough to be exciting!

Maybe one day I'll probably make more of an impact than you'll ever fake. Sign the official petition for an MK LORE ENCYCLOPEDIA: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/553/418/526/mk-fans-unite-we-want-an-mk-lore-encyclopedia/?taf_id=13672050&cid=fb_na#
Tetra_VegaPosted: 06/17/2016 08:00 PMStatus ::

Visits::2419
Nationality::Canada

*Finally signed. Why isn't this a thing yet?

MK Wiki is great n all, but it's still full of spelling/grammar errors, and some erronious misinformation.

Ka-Tra

13 YEARS! ^[2004-10 Komics Sig by Siklooted, tyvm]^ [2012-15 Komics *NEW 11/24/2015*] "Circling Vulture, Laughing Hyena" "All good things, in moderation..." "Mean what you say, and say what you mean. You never know, I could be a Djinn..." True story, it happened to a friend of a friend of mine... EVERYBODY!
Ninja_ArtsPosted: 06/19/2016 12:53 PMStatus ::

Not entirely sure, tbh. We do think the physical books are helping things along, though.

We have sank several hundred dollars into it, so there's really no turning back now.

blacksaibotPosted: 07/05/2016 08:51 PMStatus ::

Visits::8943
Nationality::Bahamas

Noob Saibot's real name is traced back to Bi Han yet the goof ball(s) put his species as unknown and origin the Netherrealm? ... talk about being inconsistent.

BrianMinor25Posted: 07/05/2016 09:32 PMStatus ::

Visits::140

Omg, I love these!! I had signed the petition for an MK Encyclopedia more than half a year ago and kind of forgot about it because NRS hasn't followed through, but damn! The imagery and detail put into these pages are great! Very eye-catching.

However I do agree with the above post that there are a few tidbits of information that I would correct, alter, and tweak.

Still, if this or even another type of official MK Encyclopedia gets released, I'd buy.

ErmaScoPosted: 07/27/2016 03:51 PMStatus ::

Visits::4888

Honestly I am not really into it at all but it's great to see the fans making all of these efforts in the things they love. WB isn't really known for it's appreciation of fans' work. They DON'T CARE. Ed Boon doesn't care either. I think they will kill it and promise the community an official made one that will be half a**ed and pricey as hell.

On another note, if miraculously picked up by WB, you guys need to ask em for the never released/before seen stuff to include.. dropped concept, characters' designs and arenas.

Ninja_ArtsPosted: 07/31/2016 11:33 PMStatus ::

We have gotten that vibe from WB, but not from other folks. We are still trying.

Our current push right now is for the 25th anniversary. If not for that, then to come alongside next MK game. We just shot our pitch to NRS today.

Page of 1

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.