Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (21.3%)
Jade (42.6%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (26.2%)
Freddy Krueger (9.8%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • December 15th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Limited Console Free Trial [Read On]
  • December 7th, 2017
    Atom Battles Black Manta in Gameplay Trailer [Read On]
  • November 28th, 2017
    Captain Marvel Almost Returned in Injustice Fighter Pack 0 [Read On]
  • November 23rd, 2017
    Mortal Kombat X Mobile - Punk Cassie Challenge [Read On]
  • November 18th, 2017
    Mortal Kombat Funko Store Signing - Sunday [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat X

Discussing Mortal Kombat X and all things Kontemporary to it.
Page of 1

Mick-LuciferPosted: 06/22/2016 07:15 AMStatus ::
Ed Boon Discusses Guest Fighters Past, Present, Future

As speculation over Mortal Kombat X's content future defiantly simmers post-MKXL; GameInformer have tapped into the always engaging, often contentious subject of guest characters - past, present and future.

Ed Boon revealed the best selling downloadable characters of the most recent game were Alien and Predator. It follows a trend started by Freddy Kreuger and Scorpion, who topped DLC sales in Mortal Kombat (2011) and Injustice: Gods Among Us respectively.

Mortal Kombat X featured the most downloadable characters of any NetherRealm Studios fighting game to date: eight in total. Four of those were guest fighters, meaning the combative Alien vs Predator mega-franchise trumped classic horror icons Jason Voorhees (Friday the 13th) and Leatherface (Texas Chainsaw Massacre) in latest sales. That fact hasn't stopped Ed Boon being open to the idea of a dedicated horror fighting game [full story].

On the appeal of the crossover characters, Boon says, "There was a coolness and a novelty factor to seeing the mixing of the things." Supported by a history of monetized success, Boon noted of guest fighters in Injustice 2: "... I would be surprised if we didn't do any of that." Potential good news for those who enjoyed Scorpion in the first DC Comics fighter, and may be holding out hope Todd McFarlane's well documented interest in a Spawn crossover.

How does a character like Spawn make it to the roster of another company's fighting game? The tangled web of corporate licensing and intellectual property has the final say, but Boon broke down the basic process for GameInformer:

"Probably the biggest one is simply someone suggests someone," he says. "With Mortal Kombat, we stepped outside of the universe with characters like Freddy Krueger, Jason, Alien, Predator, and stuff like that, so the movie stuff kind of mixes things up. Fan feedback is another big one; just hearing some very loud, insistent people saying what they want. And what's available; obviously we can't just choose what we want to do, like 'we want Robocop so he's in the game!' You have to do something that can be accommodated as far the company. So there are a number of variables, including what the players have been asking for. We're always listening to feedback."

For every guest character that makes the cut, there are several that don't go beyond consideration. In the past, Boon has revealed several fights they almost started with: Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal), Marcus Fenix (Gears of War), Michael Meyers (Halloween), and characters from the Terminator franchise.

Comic book creator Todd McFarlane has also been notably interested in his independent creation Spawn crossing over with both Mortal Kombat X and Injustice. He has claimed to have Warner Brothers permission to use the character in the past, even though nothing came of it.

Mortal Kombat characters themselves are no strangers to being invading presences. Characters have been crossing over with klassic Midway arcade games since NBA Jam. Their in-house proliferation has continued with Kombatants in titles like The Grid, Injustice: Gods Among Us and WWE Immortals! Appearanes in Unreal Championship 2 and NFL Blitz made Raiden one or Mortal Kombat Online's Top 10 unlockable kombatants!

What do you think about fighting game guests? Register to share your thoughts on the Mortal Kombat X and DC Universe Injustice forums! Be our guest and support the kommunity by liking & sharing stories via @MK_Online, Facebook & YouTube!

trynaxPosted: 06/22/2016 08:01 AMStatus ::

Visits::320
Nationality::United States
RE: Ed Boon Discusses Guest Fighters Past, Present, Future

I'll be the first to comment...for guest characters I do not like the idea. It takes away from the chance to having an actual MK fighter we may want. In MKX, Fujin and Rain are a couple that many fans wanted to see over Alien or Leatherface. As far as the horror fighting game concept, if you go to YouTube and search for it you'll find videos of a game featuring a lot of horror movie icons battling it out with one another. Cannot remember the name but search for Jason vs Freddy or Maniac Cop vs Pumpkinhead, etc. You'll eventually find it and it is pretty cool. ;)

717313=Rain Can Be Found In The Graveyard
NinjorPosted: 06/22/2016 09:33 AMStatus ::

Visits::108

As long as guest characters continue to be the biggest sellers, NRS will continue to put them into their games.

oraclePosted: 06/22/2016 10:51 AMStatus ::

Visits::9365

Predator and Alien don't surprise me especially the former cause he's perfect for MK. That said I'm sick of these fucking horror characters.

-sig by MINION Image and video hosting by TinyPic
BADASS6669Posted: 06/22/2016 11:18 AMStatus ::

Visits::5695

I'd rather have 4 new Arenas with Stage Fatalities

Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is forgiven, so Sex is in. I kill people for a living. Get over it.
ka385385Posted: 06/22/2016 11:52 AMStatus ::

Visits::19

Rayne from Bloodrayne please!!!
https://www.facebook.com/Bloodrayne-as-Mortal-Kombat-guest-character-1593616657573285/

DetoxPosted: 06/22/2016 01:47 PMStatus ::

Visits::4247

Ninjor Wrote:
As long as guest characters continue to be the biggest sellers, NRS will continue to put them into their games.

Photobucket

There are bigger sacrifices one might be asked to make than going a little mad.
frabnPosted: 06/22/2016 04:57 PMStatus ::

Visits::539

I have long hated guest characters. As much as I love Predator and Alien, and actually enjoyed Predator's appearance in the game, I still don't think he belonged (even if he did, technically, fit in). I hated the design of the Alien in MKX, and it bothered the hell out of me that the acid blood of the Alien was ignored. Jason and Leatherface...I never played either one more than once - to get through their arcade towers and that was it.

Facts are facts though - guest characters appeal to casual gamers, and casual gamers are the loudest, and most open with their wallets. MK will be polluted with guest characters for the rest of its existence.

Well, you all got your Tremor now. Can we finally move on?
DG1OAPosted: 06/22/2016 07:19 PMStatus ::

Visits::5273

Was the Terminator excluded because of his appearance in that WWE game? It's a possibility that's been on my mind for a while.

lordkiracPosted: 06/22/2016 08:04 PMStatus ::

Visits::2127

I've liked them all so far. Hope for someone cool for Injustice. To bad we can't get Cap or Thor as guest.

This place is dead..and so am I
KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 06/22/2016 08:45 PMStatus ::

Visits::19710

I have to call bullshit on Ed when he says they consider fan feedback. Especially when pertaining to guests.

I don't remember anyone on the boards or even on social media sites clamoring for Leatherface. Yet that fat redneck fuck shows up anyway.

photo 08EDBB95-0972-4D12-94BB-8107B5418EAA_zpsyuwphky8.jpg
DetoxPosted: 06/22/2016 09:44 PMStatus ::

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:
I have to call bullshit on Ed when he says they consider fan feedback. Especially when pertaining to guests.

I don't remember anyone on the boards or even on social media sites clamoring for Leatherface. Yet that fat redneck fuck shows up anyway.

He turned out to be one of my favorite characters, and I never once even considered him.

Photobucket

PickleMendipPosted: 06/23/2016 11:43 AMStatus ::

Visits::29
Nationality::United Kingdom

Detox Wrote:
Ninjor Wrote:

Seconded. Thirded...?
oracle Wrote:
Predator and Alien don't surprise me especially the former cause he's perfect for MK. That said I'm sick of these fucking horror characters.

KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:

I accept that guests happen, in a non-canon way. Loved Freddy in MK9 actually, still do. Missed out on Kratos b/c PS exclusivity BS. But i can see how he fits into the MK genre (played GoW at a friend's house).
The major issue with MKX's roster is that there are 4 guests (too many) and all from horror films (Seriously? No other game franchises?) Considering the HUGE backlash that flooded twitter after Leatherface's announcement, i call BS on Ed's "we listen to the fans" spiel.
frabn Wrote:I hated the design of the Alien in MKX, and it bothered the hell out of me that the acid blood of the Alien was ignored.

Nitpicking now. The acid blood was its own variation, how can you say that it was ignored? It was the only reasonable way they could implement that part of Alien's biology without making him too unbalanced. If you're going to take issue, why not do so with the whole crappy Baraka hybrid abortion idea.

STATE FED LIES CHARM EMPTY EYES. Anon.
frabnPosted: 06/23/2016 12:03 PMStatus ::

frabn Wrote:I hated the design of the Alien in MKX, and it bothered the hell out of me that the acid blood of the Alien was ignored.

Nitpicking now. The acid blood was its own variation, how can you say that it was ignored? It was the only reasonable way they could implement that part of Alien's biology without making him too unbalanced. If you're going to take issue, why not do so with the whole crappy Baraka hybrid abortion idea.

You obviously missed the very first part of my statement where I clearly said "I hated the design of the Alien in MKX" in regards to your Baraka statement. The alien looked ridiculous.

And that's not nitpicking, btw. That's a core fundamental aspect of the Alien. It has deadly acid blood. Yet you have Kotal Kahn squeezing it out all over his own face, and Mileena eating it like candy out of a pinata. The "Acidic" variation simply saw the alien able to shoot acid out of its tail. Would it also be nitpicking to complain if they included Scorpion in the next game WITHOUT his spear? That's a core, fundamental aspect of Scorpion, just like the acid blood of the Alien.

I would've at least desired a mystical reason for the acid blood being nullified in its bio, and that would've sufficed.

Human-Smoke-4-everPosted: 06/23/2016 12:11 PMStatus ::

Visits::1794
Nationality::Ireland

So in other words he didn't learn anything from the latest KP2 disaster.

Why couldn't this ending have happened?
DetoxPosted: 06/23/2016 01:13 PMStatus ::

Human-Smoke-4-ever Wrote:
So in other words he didn't learn anything from the latest KP2 disaster.

Disaster in your eyes, success in theirs. As long as this stuff sells, they'll suffer through the outrage.

Photobucket

ProfesserAhnkaPosted: 06/23/2016 04:57 PMStatus ::

Visits::6174

So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause.

Mortal Kombat is officially dead. Sold out to be nothing but WB's bitch. Sad.

Leader Of Rain's Minions & Tanya's Titans. Thx Minion!  photo ProfesserAhnkaSig_zpsoi5spq99.gif
JasonVPredPosted: 06/23/2016 05:55 PMStatus ::

Visits::904

The generic alien in MKX is not a true Xenomorph. The lack of persistent acid blood makes no sense and the design could have been handled better.

... here's your Subzero, now plain zero.
DetoxPosted: 06/23/2016 07:39 PMStatus ::

ProfesserAhnka Wrote:

Hyperbole.

Photobucket

KenshiMaster16Posted: 06/23/2016 07:41 PMStatus ::

Visits::10125

ProfesserAhnka Wrote:

Oh come now, Prof. You know I hate guests as much as the next person but they do have their place in fighters. Did they go overboard with the guests in this game? Well yeah but if it helps bring more people in and get more copies sold, the larger a base roster we likely get next time. However I really would appreciate all future guests being limited to 1 per pack.

frabnPosted: 06/29/2016 04:11 AMStatus ::

*edited* - how the hell did my post on the Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion post wind up here instead?

DetoxPosted: 06/29/2016 12:31 PMStatus ::

frabn Wrote:
This one is going to be a runaway.

The reinvention of Smoke int he new timeline was fantastic. A complete waste that they killed him off and kept him as an inconsequential revenant in MKX.

I like Frost, but talk about a character with completely untapped potential - she's done nothing since she was introduced in Deadly Alliance. She's a cryomancer too? That's not a coincidence. She needs to be fleshed out, needs more backstory and a role in the next MK story mode. Leaving her out has been criminal.

That said, Smoke gets the vote. An iconic character from the days of MK2 onward.

Photobucket

frabnPosted: 06/29/2016 04:44 PMStatus ::

Yeah, no idea what happened there. I literally clicked "reply" to the Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion thread, and my response wound up here. wtf?

DG1OAPosted: 07/01/2016 12:40 PMStatus ::

Visits::5273

ProfesserAhnka Wrote:

Did you just compare the presence of guests to the death of democracy?

.... BWA HA HAAA!!!

Page of 1

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.