Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 1 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Round 1: FIGHT!
Sonya Blade (14.2%)
Nightwolf (85.7%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • May 22nd, 2017
    Injustice 2: Fighter Pack 1 Character Renders [Read On]
  • May 18th, 2017
    Oren Uziel Discusses Mortal Kombat Movie Script [Read On]
  • May 16th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Officially Released Today! [Read On]
  • May 16th, 2017
    Ed Boon Discusses Injustice 2 Development & Content [Read On]
  • May 15th, 2017
    Early Release Reveals Six Injustice 2 Premier Skins [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Media & Merchandise

Discussing Mortal Kombat in Movies, Television, New Media and Merchandising.
Page of 1

Mick-LuciferPosted: 11/19/2016 08:38 PMStatus ::
Mortal Kombat Movie Taps New Director

More than a year after reports Furious 7 director James Wan would step in to produce: The Mortal Kombat movie may have found its director!

Variety reports Australian director Simon McQuoid is in talks to make his international feature film debut with the long anticipated video game adaptation.

The acclaimed advertising director is best known for commercial work, producing ads for: PlayStation, Xbox, HP, Beats by Dre, Samsung, Logitech, Nissan and Duracell [embedded below], along with other high profile brands. Much of McQuoid's work features effects work and slick production - skills perfectly suited to bringing the world of Mortal Kombat to life!

Variety also reports Greg Russo is the most recent writer to draft a script. Michael Clear (Atomic Monster), Todd Garner & Jeremy Stein (Broken Road) will join Wan as producers. Lawrence Kasanoff will executive produce.

Kasanoff is best remembered for grandfathering Mortal Kombat's original assault on the box office in 1995. His gamble on director Paul WS Anderson delivered a breakout hit in his first American feature. Kasanoff's Threshold Entertainment was also responsible for a less successful 1997 sequel (Annihilation), as well as two television series.

Little is known about the course of this new Mortal Kombat feature film, but all indications suggest it's the most likely push to bring the franchise back to the big screen to produce results. Representation of the material will become the biggest concern for fans, but as the deviant Mortal Kombat: Legacy webseries fades into obscurity, fans have at least some reasons to remain hopeful.

In August, [James] Wan expressed his appreciation for the source material: "... They ended up creating such interesting characters and I think that is such a cool world to explore. This really mythical, bigger world that lives on another dimension on top of ours." Wan is getting familiar with adapting big name universes for Warner Brothers. He's currently directing Aquaman - the DC Comics superhero appearing in Injustice 2.

[Related Article: From Sprite to Screen: Mortal Kombat versus the Movies]

What do you want to see from a Mortal Kombat movie? Register to share your thoughts on this and other products on the Media & Merchandise forum! Support the kommunity by liking & sharing this and other stories via @MK_Online & Facebook. Special thanks to MK Online User Poasty-Guy for submitting a news lead.

KenshiMaster16Posted: 11/19/2016 09:58 PMStatus ::

Visits::10061
Nationality::United States
RE: Mortal Kombat Movie Taps New Director

Bout damn time.

MacyG88Posted: 11/19/2016 10:53 PMStatus ::

Visits::2336
Nationality::Australia

KenshiMaster16 Wrote:
Bout damn time.

Don't hold your breath.

Poasty-GuyPosted: 11/20/2016 03:28 AMStatus ::

Visits::2365
Nationality::Canada

I am glad that we could resolve the "credit" issue amicably, Mick-Lucifer.

I pray that it is not your usual method of operation, though. Journalists of all stripes need to be held to a certain standard, to justify their readership. Just a (friendly) bit of advice.

I hope we can get some real information about the actual plot to the movie, at this point it could be about basically anything. I hope that they can keep it simple for the first movie, at least.

Cool idea: Do the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) thing and have individual movies building up to a big Mortal Kombat movie several years down the road. A movie dedicated to the Lin Kuei/Shirai Ryu, Special Forces, Shaolin Monks, and Outworld would really set the stage for a very satisfying Mortal Kombat movie!

Fingers crossed!

Edit: After a candid conversation with Mick-Lucifer, I have agreed to air my grievances through the proper channels. I apologise for (inadvertently) hijacking the thread. I won't delete the contents of my original post, but in hindsight I have realised that it was coming from a place of pure hostility that has no place on these forums.

Edit 2: Now that Alien, Leathermask, and Freddie/Jason are MK canon, I could definitely see a post-credits scene introducing the MK universe. I think they're making another Jason movie?

We've got chicken tonight. Strangest damn things. They're man made.
ShinnokxzPosted: 11/20/2016 03:59 AMStatus ::

Visits::3438
Nationality::Zimbabwe

Happy Thanksgiving

PickleMendipPosted: 11/20/2016 04:23 AMStatus ::

Visits::29
Nationality::United Kingdom

New MK just like new everything these days is 'gritty', 'edgy' and 'dark'. MK actually fits these themes quite nicely so i'm hoping for this kind of interpretation in a movie. Then we can all finally move out from under the shadow of that campy tragic mess from the mid-nineties.

STATE FED LIES CHARM EMPTY EYES. Anon.
blacksaibotPosted: 11/20/2016 10:02 AMStatus ::

Visits::8943
Nationality::Bahamas

So it'll be another 3 years.

OrangatangKangPosted: 11/20/2016 09:17 PMStatus ::

Visits::499

IT HAS BEGUNNNNN!?!?!?

WATAHHHHHHHHH!!!
AjirikowicPosted: 11/23/2016 04:19 PMStatus ::

Visits::386

Blacksaibot you are probably right... 3-4 years before it comes onto screen. Wan said he didn't want to rush it...
Anyway, since we have a director... Are going to finally see this Mortal Kombat legacy season 3? Or whatever it is called now? Or did they just film something and forget about it.

They were crying when their sons left. God is wearing black. He has come so far to find no hope, he's never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go, he has come so far to find the truth he is never going home...
gorostilllivesPosted: 12/10/2016 12:25 AMStatus ::

Visits::4911

On the bright side, progress is being made, but slowly.

Larry Kasanoff was signed on to do the first movie about 2 years before it came out if I recall (in 1993). They filmed from August to December 1994 and picked up the final scene and a few more shots (Reptile vs Liu Kang) before finally releasing it in August, after postponing it from a May release.

Page of 1

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.