Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (23.5%)
Jade (41.1%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (26.4%)
Freddy Krueger (8.8%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • January 5th, 2018
    Enchantress Takes Control in Injustice 2 Trailer [Read On]
  • January 4th, 2018
    Great Big Story Spotlight Voice of Shao Kahn: Steve Ritchie [Read On]
  • December 22nd, 2017
    When The Disaster Artist Met Mortal Kombat [Read On]
  • December 20th, 2017
    MKX Mobile 2017 Holiday Bonuses & Updates [Read On]
  • December 15th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Limited Console Free Trial [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

2D Kombat Klassics

Discussing the 2D MK Klassics: Everything from the Original to Rereleases.
Page of 1

]{0MBATPosted: 11/24/2016 02:57 AMStatus ::
Kombat Kon 2016: Koverage From the First Gathering

Thanks to the efforts of Doc Mack and all the folks at Galloping Ghost Arcade, the very first Kombat-Kon has come and gone! The two-day event was a huge success and will hopefully spawn future gatherings for mortals across Earthrealm, and other domains as well!

The main attraction at Kombat Kon 2016 was the appearance of actors and actresses who appeared in the original Mortal Kombat Trilogy! Over the November 19-20 weekend a kavalcade of Kombat stars made appearances at the Kon!

Present and accounted for were: Phillip Ahn (Shang Tsung), Sal DiVita (Nightwolf, Cyrax), Richard Divizio (Kano, Quan Chi, Baraka), Brian Glynn (Shao Kahn), Kerri Hoskins (Sonya Blade), Tony Marquez (Kung Lao), Lia Montelongo (Sindel, Sareena), John Parrish (Jax), Carlos Pesina (Raiden), Daniel Pesina (Johnny Cage, Scorpion, Sub-Zero), Ho Sung Pak (Liu Kang, Shang Tsung), Steve Ritchie (Shao Kahn), John Turk (Sub-Zero, Shang Tsung), and Katalin Zamiar (MKII Kitana & Mileena).

MKII's unmasked Sub-Zero, Josh Tsui, was also there to discuss his upcoming documentary on the wild times at Midway Games: Insert Coin. Read more about the fan invested passion project in MK Online's Insert Coin Interview.

Of course, Mortal Kombat co-creator John Tobias was a feature appearance, as well as past and present developers John Vogel, John Podlasek, Steve Brownback, and Rigo Cortes also made appearances. They answered fan questions, and autographed photos of themselves. In addition, lots of fans brought their own Mortal Kombat memorabilia to get signed.

The highlight of the event had to be the panel, which consisted of Daniel Pesina, John Parrish, Lia Montelongo, Phillip Ahn M.D., and Sal DiVita. They shared their experiences working on the Mortal Kombat games, and gave fans a glimpse behind the scenes!

Although we can’t show video of this, Daniel Pesina shared his recordings of the filming of the first Mortal Kombat game. They showed how original plans for the game included the characters walking into the frame and having a brief intro. Johnny Cage’s entrance involved blowing kisses to the audience, and Raiden was wearing a cape, which he took off right before the round started. This seems prophetic, considering the characters have pre-fight intros like this in the modern game. Raiden has come to wear a cape in several of the later games.

There were several exhibition events that took place under the guidance of original Kombatants. Daniel Pesina held a rope dart class [pictured above], in which participants could learn the move that inspired Scorpion’s spear! John Parrish’s Kombat Kourse as well as Lia Montelongo’s Boot Kamp taught kompetitors to work as individuals, and as part of a team, to attain victory.

At the VIP after-party, Anthony Marquez was the life of the party. In a case of life imitating art, Marquez (Kung Lao) considers original Liu Kang Ho Sung Park his best friend [pictured below]! Daniel Pesina is like a brother to him, too. Deep ties bind the warriors of Earthrealm together! Who knew?

There were some brilliant cosplayers representing klassic and fan favorite characters: Liu Kang, Kitana, Johnny Cage, Jax, Raiden, Kung Lao, Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Jade - who was played by John "Jax" Parrish's daughter!

One of the most memorable cosplayers appeared as Dan Forden. His version of the classic "Toasty!" popup was pixel perfect when a Klassic Scorpion had enough of Kung Lao!

Tons of Mortal Kombat fans were there in attendence! They included longtime user fraysol, as well as best friends Shang_heihachi and TheYellowHare, who met right here on Mortal Kombat Online in the early days of mk5.org and the Gamers.com forums!

I also caught up again with Patrick McCarron from TRMK - who I last saw at E3 2005! One his moderators, Sarah, also joined him. Ryan from TeamRipSet was also there providing live streaming. Good old Dan from MK Universe, and Steve Burrick from MK Kollectors also attended. Strike a victory pose!

The Mortal Kombat games themselves were well represented at the Kon, as well! Arcade machines spanning the entire legacy were there, including the original Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II, a joint Mortal Kombat 3/Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 cabinet, and Mortal Kombat 4!

They also had several PS3 and PS4 consoles set up to play Mortal Kombat (2011) and Mortal Kombat X. Mortal Kombat tournament brackets pitted fans against one another for prizes, including original statues: golden and colored version of Johnny Cage/Daniel Pesina and Shang Tsung/Phillip Ahn! There were also free t-shirts, wallets, temporary tattoos, coffee mugs, and action figures given away!

The Kon also had merchandise for sale at several interesting booths! Adam W. Michaels from Adam’s Art Box had a ton of interesting artwork for sale: mostly Mortal Kombat characters, but also some from The Walking Dead and other popular properties.

Myke and Anthony of Kombatpedia fame were also in attendance. They were waving the flag for the much discussed fan resource, giving out prototypes of the proposed book, as well as t-shirts and a few posters [pictured below].

All in all, this was a spectacular event! A huge thanks to Doc Mack and everyone at Galloping Ghost Arcade for putting it together. Hopefully, this will be the first of many Kombat-Kons to kome! Mortal Kombat Online will feature more sights from the event very soon.

Got your own stories from the first Kombat Kon? We want to hear them! Sign-up or log-in to tell us all your tales on the 2D Kombat Klassics forum! Help support the kommunity by liking & sharing this story via MK_Online and Facebook! Find ]{0MBAT on the forums, on The Kombat Pavilion and @tabmok99!

frabnPosted: 11/24/2016 12:59 PMStatus ::

Visits::539
Nationality::United States
RE: Kombat Kon 2016: Koverage From the First Gathering

Saw some pictures courtesy of Shang-Heihachi. He said it was a blast, and that the after-party shenanigans with Tony Marquez were pretty legendary. I got ot see a video of said shenanigans...sorry I didn't get a chance to go now.

He also mentioned that Ho-Sung told him that he doesn't normally do conventions due to his schedule and that he probably wouldn't be back at future Kombat Kons, and that he was also very gracious to know that he was so popular among fans. Even more sorry I didn't get a chance to see it.

Well, you all got your Tremor now. Can we finally move on?
PickleMendipPosted: 11/24/2016 07:04 PMStatus ::

Visits::29
Nationality::United Kingdom

[EDIT] Nevermind

STATE FED LIES CHARM EMPTY EYES. Anon.
Reptile1112Posted: 11/25/2016 01:20 PMStatus ::

Visits::9666

Look like it was a ton of fun! I hope there is another one down the line! I'd love to attend!

You will die mortal. TOASTY Speed Metal will never die.
OrangatangKangPosted: 11/25/2016 07:11 PMStatus ::

Visits::519

Dang...would of loved to be able to attend the kon.The klassic trilogy will always be my favorite...

WATAHHHHHHHHH!!!
lastfighter89Posted: 11/26/2016 10:51 AMStatus ::

Visits::5325
Nationality::Italy

While this is a great initiative and a bright idea, I think these kind of things kill MK, rather than rejuvenate it.

For once MK has a brighter future ahead, while I hate the excessive number of guests, MK X is easily the best game in the series, and MK 2011 a close second.
Yeah, this comes from a guy who enjoyed all the games since in 1992 in the arcades, eho enjoyed even the 3d era games and supported the franchise all over the years out of sheer passion.

Is it really that great to see Daniel Pesina after 20 years? Yeah, but it is a "Sunset boulevard" situation, especially if you take in account that the current Johnny Cage, Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Reptile have nothing to do with their former incarnations.

Enjoying a konvention is always a good thing, but again, the MK franchise hasn ever be so good before, I'd rather enjoy the present and even get more vocal for a Kombat pack 3 or an early MK11 rather than play nostalgia cards while pouring whiskey in a glass, recalling good ol' days.

frabnPosted: 11/27/2016 12:38 PMStatus ::

Visits::539

Basically what you are saying right now is this:

"I'm a lifelong fan, but only the current games should be relevant. It's neat that the actors from the original trilogy are still around and actively participate in the MK scene, but they and the original trilogy of games should be forgotten since appreciation of the roots of the series is harmful to the future of it."

There's two kinds of people who consider themselves "passionate" or "diehards" - Those that will always love the beginnings of a series, however humble and appreciate it through the years no matter how much the series advances technologically...and those who will always stick with the series but only focus on the here and now. You seem to fall deeply into the latter category.

How, exactly, does showing appreciation for the roots of this series harm its future? If anything it shows how much the series is still appreciated and loved. And the actors themselves were not only humble, but incredibly enthusiastic about meeting everyone, according to Shang.

How does that harm MK? You didn't even provide any input to back that claim. Again, I wasn't there, but according to Shang, most, if not all people there were 30 and over...these are people who have been playing the game the same length of time as you have, all showing appreciation for the history of the franchise, as well as showing their continued commitment to the franchise. I don't think someone who only cares about the first 3 games and has no interest in the current iteration of the game would fly all the way from New York, Texas, California, as well as far as South America or from Europe...for a game they only played 20+ years ago.

I find it difficult to see someone's "passion" for a franchise when they can sit there and say "showing appreciation for the roots of the series is a bad thing".

Well, you all got your Tremor now. Can we finally move on?
JasonVPredPosted: 11/29/2016 03:19 AMStatus ::

Visits::917

frabn Wrote:

"I'm a lifelong fan, but only the current games should be relevant. It's neat that the actors from the original trilogy are still around and actively participate in the MK scene, but they and the original trilogy of games should be forgotten since appreciation of the roots of the series is harmful to the future of it."

There's two kinds of people who consider themselves "passionate" or "diehards" - Those that will always love the beginnings of a series, however humble and appreciate it through the years no matter how much the series advances technologically...and those who will always stick with the series but only focus on the here and now. You seem to fall deeply into the latter category.

I personally have nothing against others that may demand a "vivid current experience": these are video games, they are solely there to provide entertainment. As far as I am concerned, others can cherry pick to their heart's content.

frabn Wrote:
I find it difficult to see someone's "passion" for a franchise when they can sit there and say "showing appreciation for the roots of the series is a bad thing".

I view the justification of passion in a negative light, as it is almost always driven by blinding emotion: detached from any level of logic.

... here's your Subzero, now plain zero.
Tetra_VegaPosted: 11/29/2016 12:24 PMStatus ::

Visits::2421
Nationality::Canada

Looks like it was a blast to attend. Wish I could've gone, but I'll settle for vids n pics.
So it wasn't just the panel I watched, there were demo workshops too?
And a party afterwards to hang out with them a bit?

It was funny hearing how Ho Sung Pak is as big as the Pope in places, people wanting him to bless their children. Awesome seeing how huge MK is abroad, compared to North America.

It was great hearing everyones stories, and how much fun they had making the old games.
Even had excellent advice, and wisdom to give.

Ka-Tra

13 YEARS! ^[2004-10 Komics Sig by Siklooted, tyvm]^ [2012-15 Komics *NEW 11/24/2015*] "Circling Vulture, Laughing Hyena" "All good things, in moderation..." "Mean what you say, and say what you mean. You never know, I could be a Djinn..." True story, it happened to a friend of a friend of mine... EVERYBODY!
lastfighter89Posted: 11/30/2016 08:58 AMStatus ::

frabn Wrote:

How, exactly, does showing appreciation for the roots of this series harm its future? If anything it shows how much the series is still appreciated and loved. And the actors themselves were not only humble, but incredibly enthusiastic about meeting everyone, according to Shang.

How does that harm MK? You didn't even provide any input to back that claim. Again, I wasn't there, but according to Shang, most, if not all people there were 30 and over...these are people who have been playing the game the same length of time as you have, all showing appreciation for the history of the franchise, as well as showing their continued commitment to the franchise. I don't think someone who only cares about the first 3 games and has no interest in the current iteration of the game would fly all the way from New York, Texas, California, as well as far as South America or from Europe...for a game they only played 20+ years ago.

While I admit I made a poor choice of words in my previous post, my point wasn't really directed towards the Mk franchise in General, but more about the fanbase reception of it.

These kind of initiatives were great, don't know, in the early 2000s years when the Franchise was a dying joke, maybe? .

But currently There is no need of nostalgy.
That's what I think.

A great idea born out of nostalgy, to celebrate actors that not only have Nothing more to do with the characters they protrayed 20+ years ago, but also sued the same company who created them.

Again, If We were in 1998 or 2001 when the wounds of Annihilation and Special Forces were still fresh and bleeding I'd actually be glad to agree with you.

But today: heck, Daniel Pesina doesn't even resemble himself 20 years ago.

Does this mean that he and the others aren't down to earth people who love their fans? No.

Should We still to this day cry in a corner recalling how great was playing in the arcades and wasting coins on those son of a bitches called Kintaro and Motaro?

Yes, one can do it, but could jeopardize his own enjoyment of current games that actually are right back on track or even something better.
And no Frabn I am not talking about you directly, but to all those fans" the 2d games were so great, the new ones suck" without even playing or trying them. And maybe they end up enjoying the new Battlefield or Call of Duty calling them "the Mk of nowadays, what arcades used to be".

I can see MK carving its place in current gaming, We need the old fans as well.

]{0MBATPosted: 12/02/2016 07:45 AMStatus ::

Visits::13791

As with just about any franchise, there will be fans who have a particular favorite iteration of said franchise. For example, among Batman fans, some prefer the Dark Knight version (especially Heath Ledger's Joker), while others might prefer The Animated Series or even the Adam West incarnations, while others might be on board with the new movies. Or among Star Wars fans, to many the originals from the 1970s and 1980s are—and always will be—the best. So it is with gaming. Retro gaming is a thing (look at the release of the NES Mini and Genesis systems this holiday, and see the debates among serious retro gamers of the pros and cons of such devices.) With MK, there are always going to be those who remember how the classic games first made them feel, and those will remain their favorites forever—no matter what NRS does with the latest release. You're not going to change their tastes, regardless of how passionate your argument may be. So, speaking as someone who has attended events like E3 and Midway Gamer's Day to bring up-to-date coverage on the latest MK releases, just accept that events like Kombat-Kon appeal to some of the hardcore classic MK fans and are provide an unforgettable experience, and let us have our fun. :)

MindStrikesPosted: 12/08/2016 12:21 PMStatus ::

Visits::323

Kombat kon was very fun and intresting. The scope on the actors revealed alot of interesting details. They amazed me with their contribution towards MK. It eventually lead me to watch the Anthony marquez wu factor and more intersting videos on YT about the actors.

lastfighter89 Wrote:....

What makes you so hatred towards fans that like or prefer the older games? It's not that we only like MK1-3, Most of the oldschool fans like the 3D era aswell. And it's definitly not because of nostalgia. It's kinda rude to say to those who prefer the older MK games its just because of nostalgia.

I prefer to play MGS1 instead of MGS5. I also prefer Mario64 over Mario Galaxy. Why? For DIFFERENT reasons. You think to easy or close minded about it. it's not that simple why one may like or dislike something.

you sound more like a NRS fanboy than a fan of the Mortal Kombat series

lastfighter89Posted: 12/10/2016 06:40 PMStatus ::

MindStrikes Wrote:

you sound more like a NRS fanboy than a fan of the Mortal Kombat series

If you have to know me better, you'd know how much I hate Injustice and how much I hate the guest characters in both MK9 and MK X.

Again, my posts weren't an attack towards who managed, organized and attended to the Kombat Kon. I was merely suggesting how a Kombat Kon would have been a great idea 20 years ago. Right now, I don't feel it is needed anymore.

Page of 1

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.