trynax
About Me

717313=Rain Can Be Found In The Graveyard

04/18/2017 04:19 PM (UTC)
My current nitpicks is that they will not release anymore additional content. I'd still like to see the NPCs that were in story mode become playable fighters in the other modes of the game. Can we have additional classic Fatality moves for those fighters that have them? More attires would be nice too like classic attires for older fighters that don't have them yet. Also make the Gold Scorpion attire DLC as an extra purchase. Two extra guest characters like Freddy Krueger ( since he is in the app might as well try to bring him to MKX now ) and I believe the other was either Spawn or Michael Myers? Someone once posted an Ultimate MKX....I'd love to see that or how about an updated Trilogy like game where MK9 and MKX are combined?
Onaga
04/28/2017 02:53 PM (UTC)
-Awful rushed story with poorly developed characters and other characters treated as lackies with no development at all.

-Nonsensical roster omissions despite characters in the story playing bigger roles than characters who made it into the roster. (Would have taken Rain or Enenra/Smoke over Erron Black.)

-Color pallet is dull and lacks energy

-Music lacks energy and is unremarkable. Seems to be following the Hans Zimmer holly wood trend of music as a backdrop rather than an enhancement. A big sin for a fighting game.

-Character design is AWFUL for the majority of the characters and clashes with their lore and personality. Another sin for fighting games seeing how characters are supposed to wear their personalities and stories.

-Female costume design is a major overcorrection of the justified complaints of the lazy designs in MK 2011. At best. At worst they are inspired by something else. Overall mostly just as bad and samey as the MK 2011 ones, just in the opposite direction this time.

-Quan Chi makes no sense

-Hell/The Netherrealm is simplified and creatures and classes within it are condensed and streamlined robbing it of its intrigue and vastness. It really makes it a very dull place in MK lore now.

-The revenant concept, as it was handled in MKX is a major plot hole for certain characters and diminishes their roles and stories in previous games and simply creates a massive lore cluster fuck due to inconsistency.

-Raiden is still stupid and was nonsensically underpowered. How can simple revenants beat him down while in earth realm? He is at his most powerful there, so how is it possible?

-The Cyborg Ninjas being treated as interchangeable characters rather than seen as unique individuals.

-Guest characters filling out the DLC roster rather than fan requested Mortal Kombat characters.

-Still allowing the endings to be non canon/hypothetical scenarios rather than all being canon epilogues to character stories. Standard laziness from NRS.

-Too many variations stretching NRS's already lacking creativity thin and causing them to fill out character variants with other characters. ie Johnny Cage and Noob Saibot. Kitana and Jade.

-Shinnok being made just as one dimensional as Shao Kahn in MK 2011.
-Sacrificing art style for photo realism. There is no going back from this grim realistic aesthetic. They must maintain this now because of the mainstream audience they gained back with this game. Mainstream always demand realism so it can justify their bothering with a game. (Saw it with Battlefront and every Naughty Dog game.) And that makes me sad because Mortal Kombat and fighting games work much more when they have expressive vibrant characters and eye catching color. Now Mortal Kombat is the realistic fighter once more, and this time with what that means today, I don’t think that’s a good thing.
Gl1tch
About Me

06/05/2017 01:53 AM (UTC)
Very few. I seriously play this MK more than any other. But stage fatalities? COME. ON. We needed WAY more than we got. Why not bring back the fan? Or the bell tower? Ceiling spikes anyone?
trynax
About Me

717313=Rain Can Be Found In The Graveyard

07/03/2017 06:06 PM (UTC)
No more updates. grin
MindStrikes
07/11/2017 12:17 PM (UTC)
Onaga Wrote:
-Awful rushed story with poorly developed characters and other characters treated as lackies with no development at all.

-Nonsensical roster omissions despite characters in the story playing bigger roles than characters who made it into the roster. (Would have taken Rain or Enenra/Smoke over Erron Black.)

-Color pallet is dull and lacks energy

-Music lacks energy and is unremarkable. Seems to be following the Hans Zimmer holly wood trend of music as a backdrop rather than an enhancement. A big sin for a fighting game.

-Character design is AWFUL for the majority of the characters and clashes with their lore and personality. Another sin for fighting games seeing how characters are supposed to wear their personalities and stories.

-Female costume design is a major overcorrection of the justified complaints of the lazy designs in MK 2011. At best. At worst they are inspired by something else. Overall mostly just as bad and samey as the MK 2011 ones, just in the opposite direction this time.

-Quan Chi makes no sense

-Hell/The Netherrealm is simplified and creatures and classes within it are condensed and streamlined robbing it of its intrigue and vastness. It really makes it a very dull place in MK lore now.

-The revenant concept, as it was handled in MKX is a major plot hole for certain characters and diminishes their roles and stories in previous games and simply creates a massive lore cluster fuck due to inconsistency.

-Raiden is still stupid and was nonsensically underpowered. How can simple revenants beat him down while in earth realm? He is at his most powerful there, so how is it possible?

-The Cyborg Ninjas being treated as interchangeable characters rather than seen as unique individuals.

-Guest characters filling out the DLC roster rather than fan requested Mortal Kombat characters.

-Still allowing the endings to be non canon/hypothetical scenarios rather than all being canon epilogues to character stories. Standard laziness from NRS.

-Too many variations stretching NRS's already lacking creativity thin and causing them to fill out character variants with other characters. ie Johnny Cage and Noob Saibot. Kitana and Jade.

-Shinnok being made just as one dimensional as Shao Kahn in MK 2011.

100%
SwingBatta
10/27/2017 08:20 PM (UTC)
MKX jumped the shark by having the Special Forces be the centerpiece of the game.

Plus, I'm not sure what Special Forces in this lifetime would have a unit consisting of a bunch of snot-nosed twentysomethings, a blind guy, and an actor serving as a "consultant" (WTF?), especially since four of these six characters have zero military training.

But, hey, plot armor and all.
xDarkeningKrystals
About Me
Proud Fan since MKII.
11/28/2017 11:57 PM (UTC)
My nitpick so far sounds shallow compared to everyone else's but I'd say the Fatalities. After hearing that they made them even more gorier, I was actually pretty much underwhelmed most of the time. Some of them were downright dumb like Liu King's Sore Throat or even Cassie's when you get down to it, is just a simple Boom Headshot. And some don't even make much sense and not in MK3's cartoony sense, either. sleep
Thatoneguy
02/10/2018 02:25 AM (UTC)
The fatalities, especially Reptile's. So boring....
barakall
02/26/2018 02:17 PM (UTC)
Speaking of fatalities, I feel it's become too much of a focus in this game.
xDarkeningKrystals
About Me
Proud Fan since MKII.
03/21/2018 06:08 AM (UTC)
Wasn't it once said that nobody plays Mortal Kombat for the story? Everyone has always been more interested in the fatalities. Lol
Masr
03/21/2018 05:21 PM (UTC)
Stances (I'd of liked the fighting styles to be how they were in the 3D era).
diirecthit
03/25/2018 09:39 PM (UTC)
-Fight animations
-Guest characters
-Sonya's costume should've been in GREEN color, not blue/purple
Masr
04/02/2018 04:09 PM (UTC)
Undetailed countenances. Physiognomy gives character. (This should've been consistent).
J-spit
About Me
Twilight Muthafuckin' Sparkle

Sig by TheCypher
04/03/2018 04:13 AM (UTC)
DAHK9 Wrote:
Undetailed countenances. Physiognomy gives character. (This should've been consistent).

Heh?
Masr
04/03/2018 10:13 AM (UTC)
J-spit Wrote:
DAHK9 Wrote:

Heh?

Basically, the faces.
mkwhopper
05/01/2018 10:45 PM (UTC)
-The guest characters taking priority over actual MK characters

-Online matchmaking for Ranked(this could be applied to all NRS fighting games really

JohnBoyAdvance
05/10/2018 12:13 PM (UTC)
The general drabness of the game. Mortal Kombat 9 was surprisingly colourful really. MKX is just a bit dull. It hugs those browns and greys and blues tightly.

Some of that sweet NRS animation jank. I dont think they have any plans to change it though.

Costumes for different characters looking similar. Especially bad for Team Special Forces.

What the fuck happened to *character that is missing*? And also fuck the "read the comic book" mentality of it. At the very least, a character render and a paragraph of text for everyone that was missing in between MK9 and MKX. I'm not including Rain, Baraka, Smoke etc in this. But characters like Jade and Sheeva etc. Just no, AND this happens in between the two Injustice games. Get your shit together.

Did anyone really want Leatherface? I understand that Fighter Pack 2 was just a "these characters were dropped when they were 90% done" thing but still... wouldnt Freddy make more sense? You even had Robert Englund for Injustice 2. GAH! at least Leatherface was more fun to play than Jason.

Always want more story mode. Even if it devolved into a visual novel. I do feel Erron Black, Ermac, Mileena, Reptile, Quan Chi, Shinnok, Mileena, Kitana, Liu Kang, Kung Lao getting chapters in the story mode would have developed the 25 year gap between the games.

Thats about it really. I really liked this game.
Masr
05/10/2018 02:14 PM (UTC)
Levitating Ermac.
lordkirac
About Me

God of War is Back!

05/14/2018 11:49 PM (UTC)
No Tag team mode
no tag fatalities
No Fujin wow
hwoarong
05/16/2018 09:15 PM (UTC)
BROWN the game just looked brown. They were trying to make the game look realistic... but honestly the characters looked like plastic (especially when wet) action figures with 0 color saturation... overall..... just too much brown. That is probably the only thing i would nit pick, love this game and gameplay is THE BEST!
Masr
05/27/2018 08:59 PM (UTC)
Far too much artillery.
MortalMushroom
06/01/2018 01:20 AM (UTC)
I guess the big thing that's been sticking out for me recently is the idle animations and fighting stances. They are terrible! I think MK 2011's animations were pretty bad, but this one may just outdo it by a tad in terms of badness.

I wish there were more stages. I wanted to see an Outworld stage where the sky had the purple/blue tinge. And what was with that story mode scene where they pretended the sky was never purple in Outworld?

Some minor roster complaints; I really dislike Ferra/Torr and I really dislike guest characters. I wish there was a way to turn them off in the arcade ladders and hide them from the select screen.

Oh. and not alternate costumes for the DLC characters? Rip off!
sean79
About Me
06/02/2018 01:15 AM (UTC)
The comics where way more interesting that the story mode to me.
RyanSeabass
06/04/2018 05:52 AM (UTC)
I wanted Fujin and Rain to be playable.
07/03/2018 09:25 PM (UTC)
Oh, this is going to be fun.

1. The roster continues the trend of favoring characters from MK1 & 2 and neglecting most others.

- Kung Lao, Jax, Sonya, Liu Kang, Reptile and Kitana all had no real purpose in this game, but why are they here? Because Boon loves those nostalgic characters. I mean, Rain and Fujin had far stronger roles, and neither of them were added. I usually don't care about purposeless characters in fighting games (like Tekken) because the story usually doesn't matter, but in Mortal Kombat it does. A lot. And the roster should always reflect the story. With that being said:

2. The charatcers' primary costumes do not at all reflect their actual appearance.

- Kung Lao, Liu Kang, and Kitana all have primary costumes of living humans who have aged, but not only have they not aged, they're still dead! I literally spent the entire story waiting for Kung Lao to turn human, and it never happened. It left me wondering, "Then why the hell does his primary costume look that way?" Given that and the fact Boon also mentioned during E3 that the Sub-Zero in the game was a "new Sub-Zero," only for it to be Kuai Lang as usual, it's pretty clear the story was drastically altered between E3 and the game's release. With that being said:

3. The story is a gigantic mess.

- Who was the major villain? Mileena? She died halfway through. Kotal Kahn? He had no real quarrel with anyone other than Mileena, who died halfway through. Shinnok? He was barely in it! Can anyone genuinely tell me what MKX is about? 'Cause I still do not know. Even worse, all the flashback scenes were utterly pointless, trying to tie up loose ends that weren't even there, because MK9 reset everything. They literally could have written whatever they wanted! Why did they jump 25 years into the future? They didn't have to repeat MK4, even though they inadvertently did anyway. With that being said:

4. Scorpion has yet ANOTHER revenge story.

- I'll be honest, though. MKX has perhaps the best story for Scorpion in the entire series. His inclusion hasn't been necessary since MK2, and now he actually has a purpose... which was taken after he actually exacted revenge. For once. So what's next? Going back to the UMK3 days where he had... no plot point whatsoever because the developers knew his inclusion was pointless? Which is why he wasn't in MK3 to begin with? Which is why they repeated his MK2 story for MK4? And again in MKDA, only with Quan Chi? Then made him a puppet in a non-canon plot in Deception? Then repeated his MK2 story AGAIN in Armageddon, only with the Elder Gods? I mean, seriously. How obvious do you have to make it? Scorpion has no purpose in Mortal Kombat. He exists only as a face. With that being said:

5. Once again, Scorpion is cheap as hell.

- What do Scorpion and Pikachu have in common? They're yellow, insanely popular, and incredibly cheap in their respective fighting games. I really wish Boon would get off of Scorpion's junk and stop making it so glaringly obvious he's giving the guy special treatment in every way possible because he's his favorite character. I tried it with Scorpion once in MKX; I pressed a couple of buttons, and I did a combo that should never happen that easily. It's a crime! I'll never understand how Boon could sink that low. With that being said:

5. The DLC marks Netherrealm's all-time low.

- This is what showed me NRS had truly forsaken merit and integrity for money. Jason? Xenomorph? Freakin' Leatherface? The only thing that topped that was TMNT in Injustice, and by then I wasn't even surprised. MKX had already soured me, but the DLC of the game pushed me to where I am not even looking forward to the next Mortal Kombat game. It pains me, too, because the series has been so formative in my life up to that point. MKII was the first video game I ever played. Dan Forden's music is what made me want to become a composer, which I now am. It remained my favorite video game series of all time... up until MKX.

I think given Boon has confirmed he has no intention on revealing anything about a new MK game, it's clear he himself is aware of the hole he's dug with MKX. The story goes nowhere. The character roster is terrible, and the DLC did nothing but prove how eager they are to capitalize on their own name. I mean, at least when Smash Bros. did it they used franchises that actually have a history with Nintendo. I'd pray NRS fixes this, but I have lost faith. I don't even expect most of the new characters in MKX to return, another trait NRS is guilty of.

KenshiMaster16 Wrote:
We can all agree MKX was probably one of the better MK games in terms of execution and gameplay

In terms of gameplay, yes. Execution? Absolutely not.
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.