Cutscenes in story mode...
posted05/15/2018 10:05 PM (UTC)by
RyanSeabass
The increase in graphics and realism from MK9 to MKX during story mode was very noticeable, obviously because of the new hardware. I'm left wondering if MK11 will be noticeably better than MKX in that regard, because the hardware is the same. Some cutscenes in various games that are arriving in the next year look damn near real. Crossing my fingers that Netherrelam goes for it and has some of the prettiest cutscene graphics for any game that comes out in 2019. I want it to look as real as possible.
frabn
About Me

Well, you all got your Tremor now. Can we finally move on?

05/12/2018 06:19 PM (UTC)
It all depends entirely on the engine they use. MKX used Unreal Engine 3, which was pretty dated when compared to UE4 being the standard for several years already. Chances are, they will switch to UE4 for MKXI.

MK 2011 was a "stepping stone" for Netherrealm. It used Unreal Engine 3 at the end of the PS3/XBox 360 generation. The graphics were cartoonish, even though they were quite polished and nice looking. Injustice used the same type of graphical appearance, but was noticeably smoother and even more polished...it looked better than MK 2011 and marked the final foray into that generation of consoles.

They pulled out the stops for MKX and went for a darker, grittier and more realistic look. They continued to use Unreal Engine 3, despite the fact that Unreal Engine 4 was already in full swing.
Despite using the considerably dated technology, the game looked amazing. It pushed UE3 to its limits. Some complained that it still wasn't "good enough" but I thought it was a remarkable step forward. The character renderings, cinematics and overall appearance of the game was worlds ahead of its predecessor (though that was more the tech, not the engine).

Injustice 2 used the MKX formula and improved upon it. It also used the same dated UE3 technology. So, once again, MK was experimental and Injustice was the product of the team working with something they were now highly proficient with, as we could see from the even better cinematics.

Looking toward the upcoming E3 announcement, MKXI marks the first time that Mortal Kombat will have two consecutive releases on the same generation of console since the 3d era. Armageddon was the last MK game in 2007 before the 2011 reboot, and that reboot came so late into the PS3/360 generation that it was truly an experiment - both with the tech and the UE3 engine.

I firmly believe that MKX will utilize UE4. My worry with this is that the team, although highly proficient with UE3, will have to dig in and learn UE4. They will undoubtedly push the console tech to its limits, but with an upgraded engine to work with, MKXI may yet wind up the next "experiment" for NRS, with Injustice 3 receiving the true polish and expert handling in 2021.
RyanSeabass
05/15/2018 10:05 PM (UTC)
Goof stuff frabn, lot’s of good info right there. Mortal Kombat is Netherrealm’s baby and they’re going to want this thing to look and play as flawless as humanly possible. Unreal Engine 4 is most certainly going to be the engine this game is built on and I can’t wait to see the results. With Netherrealm’s terrific track record since being purchased by WB, you can bet they will get quite the budget. I don’t want to get my hopes up too high, but I’m expecting greatness with MK11.
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.