New expectations...
posted09/25/2018 01:30 AM (UTC)by
RyanSeabass
To the surprise of many (including yours truly) there was no announcement for MK11 at E3 this year. While it's disappointing because we're all big fans of the series and looking forward to the next installment, this also brings a new level of excitement because it's a break from the usual cycle. This raises some questions for sure.
1) When is the first trailer comimg?
2) Will the game release next spring like most people expect, or be pushed back to the holiday season 2019...Or perhaps a spring 2020 release?
3) Is NRS using Unreal Engine 4 for the new game and if so could using\learning the new engine be the reason for what appears to be a delay?

I have no doubts that the team at NRS is crafting something awesome with MK11 and I look at it this way; the longer it takes create the game, the better the finished product will be.
Detox
About Me

You work with what you got...not what you hope for.

06/15/2018 03:24 AM (UTC)
RyanSeabass Wrote:
To the surprise of many (including yours truly) there was no announcement for MK11 at E3 this year. While it's disappointing because we're all big fans of the series and looking forward to the next installment, this also brings a new level of excitement because it's a break from the usual cycle. This raises some questions for sure.
2) Will the game release next spring like most people expect, or be pushed back to the holiday season 2019...Or perhaps a spring 2020 release?
3) Is NRS using Unreal Engine 4 for the new game and if so could using\learning the new engine be the reason for what appears to be a delay?

I have no doubts that the team at NRS is crafting something awesome with MK11 and I look at it this way; the longer it takes create the game, the better the finished product will be.

I laid my predictions out in a previous thread, the short version is, if it’s not revealed at Evo, it will likely be revealed at some point near the end of the year(IPS finals/VGA’s). If it’s not even revealed by then, the game quite possibly won’t be revealed till E3 2019. If that’s the case, I fully expect it to be a next gen game.

As far as making the transition to Unreal 4, it’s a possibility. Since that notion has been brought up, I’ve been thinking that’s why Injustice 2 was a legacy game. Gives coders and engineers an easier time pushing out a new game while making the transition between engines(which I gotta believe started some time in the middle or very end of MKX’ lifespan).

I’m with everyone about them taking the time to make it great(despite my hype train being derailed). I’ve no doubt that, in the end, it will be worth it.
frabn
About Me

Well, you all got your Tremor now. Can we finally move on?

06/18/2018 03:18 PM (UTC)
Let's also examine this from Ed's perspective.

Ed is a seasoned veteran of the video game industry. His claim to fame of course is 25 years of Mortal Kombat, but he was in the industry long before, programming pinball machines and other early games of the 80's. He has seen this industry evolve over 30+ years of experience and through 4 decades (80's, 90's, 00's, 10's) firsthand. He has been with the SAME company for his entire career (if you count the acquisition of his team by WB).

Like many of the senior developers in the industry, Ed sees and understands the increasingly caustic attitude from the player base, but also understands the rising backlash against DLC and Loot Boxes. Sure, I2 was loot box galore, but his previous statements reflect a cognizant understanding of how negatively this is impacting the industry. There are also certain aspects of his games that are beyond his control, most notably microtransactions - that is a mandated requirement by WB, and not necessarily something HE or the Netherrealm team wants. I won't be surprised at all to see "Dragon Koins" and "Soul Krystals" as real-money currency in the next game, along with "Shaolin Chests" or "Dragon Tomes" to open. But remember, MK was always notable for its secrets and hidden goodies...something that has disappeared since the WB acquisition in favor of DLC.

What's my point? The point is that if they are opting to take an extended approach to development of the next game, it may well be that they are aiming for a larger roster, a game wider in scope, and a release that feels fully complete without the necessity for day 1 disc-locked content. Even with a larger game a DLC "season" is to be expected, but Ed has been one of the devs out there that seems to recognize the negative effect the DLC model has had on the inudstry as a whole.

I hope this is reflected in the next installment.

ErmaSco
06/23/2018 07:19 PM (UTC)
WB is in charge here. I get the feeling that some of the stuff that has happened to MKX and I2 we're forced on the team, but I guess as long as Ed has creative control over stuff then I am ok.

I am not planning to dwell into microtransaction stuff (don't even think about buying them).
RyanSeabass
06/24/2018 05:20 PM (UTC)
ErmaSco Wrote:
WB is in charge here. I get the feeling that some of the stuff that has happened to MKX and I2 we're forced on the team, but I guess as long as Ed has creative control over stuff then I am ok.

I am not planning to dwell into microtransaction stuff (don't even think about buying them).

I'm not dwelling on the microtransaction stuff either, that's all in WB's court. Ed and his team creating the game they want to make is what's important and they haven't let us down yet. The fact that they always try to outdo what they've done before is what has me excited.
JohnBoyAdvance
06/30/2018 09:02 PM (UTC)
RyanSeabass Wrote:

1) Is Gamescom in Germany still a thing? Failing that maybe The Game Awards thing that Geoff Keighly does...
2) I see it more Autumn/Fall 2019 maybe.
3) I think they are using Unreal 4 and maybe taking some pointers for their in game animation.
Dragula21
08/15/2018 02:39 PM (UTC)
Thanks for that history lesson on Mr. Boon frabn! I completely agree that he is one of the few remaining "good guys" in this greedy, money-hungry business we call video games.
Pinndrop
About Me

All and all that`s all we all are.

08/21/2018 01:02 AM (UTC)
Love this post.
frabn Wrote:
Let's also examine this from Ed's perspective.

Ed is a seasoned veteran of the video game industry. His claim to fame of course is 25 years of Mortal Kombat, but he was in the industry long before, programming pinball machines and other early games of the 80's. He has seen this industry evolve over 30+ years of experience and through 4 decades (80's, 90's, 00's, 10's) firsthand. He has been with the SAME company for his entire career (if you count the acquisition of his team by WB).

Like many of the senior developers in the industry, Ed sees and understands the increasingly caustic attitude from the player base, but also understands the rising backlash against DLC and Loot Boxes. Sure, I2 was loot box galore, but his previous statements reflect a cognizant understanding of how negatively this is impacting the industry. There are also certain aspects of his games that are beyond his control, most notably microtransactions - that is a mandated requirement by WB, and not necessarily something HE or the Netherrealm team wants. I won't be surprised at all to see "Dragon Koins" and "Soul Krystals" as real-money currency in the next game, along with "Shaolin Chests" or "Dragon Tomes" to open. But remember, MK was always notable for its secrets and hidden goodies...something that has disappeared since the WB acquisition in favor of DLC.

What's my point? The point is that if they are opting to take an extended approach to development of the next game, it may well be that they are aiming for a larger roster, a game wider in scope, and a release that feels fully complete without the necessity for day 1 disc-locked content. Even with a larger game a DLC "season" is to be expected, but Ed has been one of the devs out there that seems to recognize the negative effect the DLC model has had on the inudstry as a whole.

I hope this is reflected in the next installment.

KenshiMaster16
08/23/2018 01:52 AM (UTC)
I expect certain trends to continue; Each release from NRS has seen a larger roster than the last and a larger release schedule of DLC. I expect those two trends to continue. I also expect a reveal before the end of this year and a release in October or November next year due to the slightly longer dev time they are taking advantage of.
frabn
About Me

Well, you all got your Tremor now. Can we finally move on?

08/23/2018 07:49 AM (UTC)
Unfortunately Ed seems to be constantly indicating that they are not planning on announcing anything any time soon. His tweets from Day 1 of Gamescom (which is where everyone though the announcement would be) have pretty much flat out stated that there will be NO MK11 announcement there either. I'm with KenshiMaster re: the announcement likely being end of the year Nov/Dec. Worst case scenario, we get no formal announcement at all this year, with the official announcement coming mid-to-late 2019 (maybe around June). If we get an announcement next June, I then expect that the game itself will probably be released in late 2020/early 2021.
ErmaSco
08/23/2018 01:40 PM (UTC)
As much as their current project has been tricky, I expect a release mid -Oct next year.

I expect this game to have a massive amount of content. Kinda like MKDA.
RyanSeabass
08/23/2018 05:34 PM (UTC)
Ed Boon's wording on his Twitter page is revealing if you look into it a little. He said "they're not quite ready to reveal" their new game yet, which says to me it's not far off. The game awards in December seem like the likeliest bet now for the first look at the new game, which is hopefully MK11. If not then, E3 2019.
Detox
About Me

08/23/2018 09:38 PM (UTC)
ErmaSco Wrote:

I expect this game to have a massive amount of content. Kinda like MKDA.

...Do you mean Deception? I love MKDA, but heavy on kontent, it was not.

With the last chance qualifier for the Injustice Pro Series set for October, the finals look like a lock for November. I’d say the smart money for an announcement lies at the IPS finals. Where that leaves a potential release date could be up in the air. They could still potentially release in the traditional April/May timeframe which would mean nonstop character announcements, Kombat Kasts, etc., all the way to release. Or if extra dev time is indeed is the reason for this shift, I’d say fall 2019 is the intended target.
Detox
About Me

09/25/2018 01:30 AM (UTC)
Detox Wrote:

With the last chance qualifier for the Injustice Pro Series set for October, the finals look like a lock for November. I’d say the smart money for an announcement lies at the IPS finals. Where that leaves a potential release date could be up in the air. They could still potentially release in the traditional April/May timeframe which would mean nonstop character announcements, Kombat Kasts, etc., all the way to release. Or if extra dev time is indeed the reason for this shift, I’d say fall 2019 is the intended target.

IPS season 2 finals are set to take place on November 13th live from Chicago. The show will be aired on ESPN and Disney XD as well as being live streamed on Netherrealm’s Twitch channel. We all wondered what a bigger platform other than E3 would look like for an MK11 announcement. I’m inclined to believe this is it. Speculation, of course...but this feels right to me.
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.