Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 27 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
08/19/2014 Who's Next? Mortal Kombat X Bad Guy Koming Soon
08/13/2014 Gamescom: IGN Ed Boon Interview - Console Exclusives, Story Details
08/12/2014 Gamescom: NetherRealm Release MKX Kano Screenshots
08/11/2014 Gamescom: Kano Goes Commando in New Narrated Trailer
07/12/2014 Evo 2014: Raiden Stands Watch for Eternity in Mortal Kombat X
06/13/2014 E3 2014: Gamespot Full Match Videos & Demo Stream
06/11/2014 E3 2014: Ed Boon Talks MKX on Giant Bomb - New Details
06/11/2014 E3 2014: First Mortal Kombat X Screenshots Showoff New Characters
06/10/2014 E3 2014: Ed Boon Demo on PlayStation Live Cast
06/08/2014 Whos Next? Ed Boons Mortal Kombat X Character Deadpool!
06/03/2014 Mortal Kombat X - A Global Phenomenon
06/02/2014 MOREtal Monday: Mortal Kombat X Scorpion Box Art [Updated]
06/02/2014 Whos Next? - Mortal Kombat X Reveal Trailer

Register to join. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Fan Koliseum: Did Death Battle Get it Right?
Sektor wins (60.7%)
Fulgore wins (30.8%)
Too close to call! (8.3%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • August 31st, 2014
    PAX Prime 2014: Gamespot MKX Demo with Adam Urbano [Read On]
  • August 31st, 2014
    Who's Next? Character Boot Teaser Sparks Footprint Analysis [Read On]
  • August 28th, 2014
    PAX Prime 2014: Mortal Kombat X Live Stream Details [Read On]
  • August 27th, 2014
    Mortal Kombat X Concept Art - The Kove [Read On]
  • August 25th, 2014
    Art of Kombat #7: Total Eclipse of the Heart [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Fan Submission

Discussing and Sharing Works by MKOmmunity Members.
Page of 2

IamTheSPosted: 12/28/2006 12:12 PMStatus ::

Visits::1692
Nationality::United States
Mortal Kombat Anthology - Chameleon vs. Johnny Cage

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Now, you might say "this is a terrible fake"! And point out such things as the energy bars being too high and short, or the shadows not being parallel to Johnny, or something.

But it's not a fake.

This is actually a screenshot of a fangame I've been working on, off and on, for the past two years or so. Actually, I think I started it originally prior to Deception.

As I have work and other things to tend to, there may not even be a working demo of this for quite some time. I will take random screenshots every now and then to show, however.

Sprites and such are taken from Mortal Kombat Warehouse, which I will give credit to in the game. The Chameleon sprite was obviously modified to match the art I scanned for Wikipedia, from a Scorpion sprite.

I've already fixed the Johnny/shadow problem, by the way.

Questions are welcome, but I can't really give away too much about the game (mostly because it's still a WiP).

EDIT: Shrank the image to avoid effing with the page layout. Click it for a better view.

Ninja_MimePosted: 12/28/2006 12:40 PMStatus ::

Visits::19702
Nationality::Sweden
RE: Mortal Kombat Anthology - Chameleon vs. Johnny Cage

Even if it's not a fake, you should at least make it look nicer. MK1 Cage is a bad idea. MK1 Sprites shouldn't be used, since they're such low quality. And the lifebars do suck.

IamTheSPosted: 12/28/2006 01:13 PMStatus ::

I'm already working on it looking better, in terms of lifebars and such (although they too were pulled from MKW, it's probably the screensize that screws that up).

MKI Johnny is an alternate costume. MKT Johnny is the default.

Ninja_MimePosted: 12/28/2006 01:57 PMStatus ::

MKT? Is he the proper size? Or did you take the enlarged ones from MKW with the blue outlines?

Wouldn't MK2 Johnny be a better choice for an alternate? MK1 sprites suck so much - they don't have as many colors as MK2/MK3.

IamTheSPosted: 12/28/2006 02:51 PMStatus ::

MK2 Johnny is another alternate.

MKT Johnny is indeed the MKT sprites, but cleaned up a bit. I'll try to get a screenshot of him in action by tomorrow.

Vash_15Posted: 12/28/2006 03:41 PMStatus ::

Visits::11734

Usually I would say:

"Ninja_Mime! Stop being a dick!"

But he's right, using MK1 and MKT sprites, not a good idea at all, sorry

2.5/5

IamTheSPosted: 12/28/2006 04:06 PMStatus ::

-.-

Maybe I should explain.

Anthology uses sprites from ALL of the games, ala Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy (the hacked UMK3 Genesis ROM).

It's not meant to be an "OMG new game". It's basically a different kind of MK Trilogy.

Ninja_MimePosted: 12/28/2006 10:24 PMStatus ::

Alright, so what kind of game is it?

IamTheSPosted: 12/28/2006 10:52 PMStatus ::

Maybe I should have explained things to begin with.

This is Mortal Kombat Anthology, a fighting game made with Mark Overmars' Game Maker program. It is basically like an extention of Mortal Kombat Trilogy, except it encompasses MKI all the way through Armageddon. It also features every Finishing Move (sans Hara-Kiri and Kreate-A-Fatality) every character has been able to perform. With 68 characters, plus every character having every primary costume from every game, I really do have my work cut out for me. Each character has at the very least 2 Fatalities, a Friendship, a Babality, Animality, and Brutality.

Right now, the aesthetics of the game are the least of my worries; the real problem is making this even close to being balanced. Right now there's a handful of characters that completely destroy all others.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ninja_MimePosted: 12/28/2006 11:50 PMStatus ::

Uh... do you need help with sprite editing? Is that Shang Tsung with a purple vest on, or is that Rain unmasked?

SicklesPosted: 12/29/2006 09:36 AMStatus ::

Visits::253

Ninja_Mime Wrote:
MKT? Is he the proper size? Or did you take the enlarged ones from MKW with the blue outlines?

Wouldn't MK2 Johnny be a better choice for an alternate? MK1 sprites suck so much - they don't have as many colors as MK2/MK3.

just be glad he decided NOT to use nintendo sprites. if you've never seen or heard of such a thing, then prepare to be astounded:
actual screenshot!!

speak in tongues of fire, enflaming your desires, watching as we die....
IamTheSPosted: 12/29/2006 11:13 AMStatus ::

I know my spritemaking skills are lacking compared to others, but on the plus side, my crappy Shaolin Monks/Armageddon Reptile was rated only .5 lower than Arctic's masterpiece. Either way, I'm content to sticking with my own stuff for now.

It's Reiko, by the way. I need to slow down the timing for I can take better screenshots, but he just performed his Power Kick Fatality.

Iori9Posted: 12/29/2006 11:46 AMStatus ::

Visits::1833

Sickles Wrote:
Ninja_Mime Wrote:

just be glad he decided NOT to use nintendo sprites. if you've never seen or heard of such a thing, then prepare to be astounded:

actual screenshot!!

LMAO which Pirated MK game is that?

Hikari715Posted: 12/29/2006 11:54 AMStatus ::

Visits::1301
Nationality::Canada

^^^ That pirated game is Mortal Kombat 3 - Special 56 Peoples, pirated for the NES.

I have that on the emulator.

IamTheSPosted: 12/29/2006 01:12 PMStatus ::

Strangely enough, back when I started working on Anthology, I had originally planned to add the "characters" exclusive to this Pirated Famicom game:

http://tabmok99.mortalkombatonline.com/kombat_pavilion.html

Damn was I stupid.

Ninja_MimePosted: 12/29/2006 02:59 PMStatus ::

IamTheS Wrote:
I know my spritemaking skills are lacking compared to others, but on the plus side, my crappy Shaolin Monks/Armageddon Reptile was rated only .5 lower than Arctic's masterpiece. Either way, I'm content to sticking with my own stuff for now.

It's Reiko, by the way. I need to slow down the timing for I can take better screenshots, but he just performed his Power Kick Fatality.

1. People here are idiots when it comes to ratings. They'll give anything a good rating.

2. Uhh... Reiko, eh? Please, let me help. This project looks interesting, but you need good srpties. I'm not the best, but I can do a bit better.

IamTheSPosted: 12/29/2006 03:05 PMStatus ::

Well anyway, I'm working on a video, so maybe within the next week some opinions will form on gameplay.

I didn't expect to get raves about the initial screens, but I didn't expect the response I got, either.

Ninja_MimePosted: 12/29/2006 03:17 PMStatus ::

Actually, I'm not sure I can help, unless I can get my hands on a good art program. We just got a new computer, I'm stuck with paint. I know that's a bad excuse for not making good fakes and stuff, but I'm just not good with only paint.

Here's the best I could come up with. Yes, it sucks. But look at the head. Use an edited Sub-Zero.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

IamTheSPosted: 12/29/2006 05:09 PMStatus ::

That Reiko is brilliant. I used MK2 Reptile and MK3 Shang Tsung. Yours... is totally awesome compared to mine.

I just have never had any real artistic talent. If you ever see my Fanart Central profile, it's full of a absolute crap.

Ninja_MimePosted: 12/29/2006 05:33 PMStatus ::

IamTheS Wrote:
That Reiko is brilliant. I used MK2 Reptile and MK3 Shang Tsung. Yours... is totally awesome compared to mine.

I just have never had any real artistic talent. If you ever see my Fanart Central profile, it's full of a absolute crap.

I can do much better when I get another art program.

satinsovenPosted: 12/29/2006 06:25 PMStatus ::

Visits::2560

Ninja_Mime Wrote:
Actually, I'm not sure I can help, unless I can get my hands on a good art program. We just got a new computer, I'm stuck with paint. I know that's a bad excuse for not making good fakes and stuff, but I'm just not good with only paint.

Here's the best I could come up with. Yes, it sucks. But look at the head. Use an edited Sub-Zero.

i THINK(in my own opinion)
that i made a better reiko sprite in ms paint. here she is, along with other works of mine in a small cluster of 4 or 5-
[Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
if you believe arctic or whoever may do a better job, by all means hire them but please hire me because i need something to keep me busy. if it weren't for requests, id have stopped making sprites ages ago. all i need is requests and inspiration on your part, and i will use microsoft img editor, paint shop pro, and ms paint in unsion to deliver heaven. please hit me up on pm to let me know your verdict.

Why do dyslexics hate Christmas? Because that's when Satan comes.
Ninja_MimePosted: 12/29/2006 06:29 PMStatus ::

satinsoven Wrote:
Ninja_Mime Wrote:

that i made a better reiko sprite in ms paint. here she is, along with other works of mine in a small cluster of 4 or 5-

if you believe arctic or whoever may do a better job, by all means hire them but please hire me because i need something to keep me busy. if it weren't for requests, id have stopped making sprites ages ago. all i need is requests and inspiration on your part, and i will use microsoft img editor, paint shop pro, and ms paint in unsion to deliver heaven. please hit me up on pm to let me know your verdict.

Your sprites are kinda messy.

ZentilePosted: 12/29/2006 07:11 PMStatus ::

Visits::13686
Nationality::Portugal

What a joke for a fake. I can tell you used Paint to make this fake, but even still the transparency effect for Rain isn't as good as it could've been.
Also, you should've pasted Johnny WAY closer to the kick shadows. .That's the way it looks in the games. Also, why use different games' sprites? They look different sizes, and the lifebars are way up.
And what's the point of the fake? Chameleon isn't doing all that much, you should have a little more action, like a fake fatality or something.

hehe. Sorry, I had to.

TheMightyMeatLordPosted: 12/29/2006 07:22 PMStatus ::

Visits::1171

satinsoven Wrote:
Ninja_Mime Wrote:

I may hate Arctic with every bone in my body but his sprite editing is 1000 times better than yours.

Anyways if you need help with the story that's where i shine if you want to check out some of my work look for my idea in the future mk games discussion(please mods dont give me a skull point for advertising my thread i only did it so he could have some reference to my skill).

On a comidical note i could picture the commercial now

MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!
(a 5 year old shoots a bazooka at an airplane which explodes forming the MK symbol)

Ninja_MimePosted: 12/29/2006 07:46 PMStatus ::

TheMightyMeatLord Wrote:
I may hate Arctic with every bone in my body

Why? Just for the sake of starting shit?

Page of 2

© 1998-2014 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.