Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016 film)
posted08/11/2016 01:44 AM (UTC)by
Icebaby
[And The Next Batman Is...] Ben Affleck

I now have no desire to see the sequel of Man in Steel.

Discuss.
Unknown265
08/23/2013 01:45 AM (UTC)
There is potential. (For success or failure)
I won't pass judgement until I have seen his performance.
Icebaby
08/23/2013 01:57 AM (UTC)
Eh, I'm not a fan of Affleck's movies. Never really have been. Still not interested in this though. I am a huge Christian Bale fan and would have really wanted him to return just one more time, even if he stated that he wasn't going to continue the series.

Ugh... my beloved man crush won't deem the night. Meh, there's always re-watching American Psycho.
KungLaodoesntsuck
08/23/2013 02:54 AM (UTC)
I think people are being extremely unfair about this. They haven't even seen him in the role, and because he's not Christian Bale he's being seen as a horrible choice.

I'm personally happy about it. I just hope he doesn't give Batman some awful gravelly voice that's completely unnecessary.
SmokeNc-017
About Me
art by fear-sAs
08/23/2013 03:06 AM (UTC)
I wasn't a fan of Bale's Batman as a character, I actually thought he was the weakest aspect in the entire Nolan trilogy besides Talia. I should probably stop myself there before I go on a Dark Knight Rises rant.

Affleck is a talented dude. He's a great actor and director. I mean, is he the right choice for Batman? Who knows. We've been surprised before by guys like Robert Downy Jr as Stark and Michael Keaton as Batman. So until we see footage, until we see the suite, there's really not much to go on.
MINION
About Me
Groundbreaking Debut | You[Tube] | deviantART | Twitter
08/23/2013 03:11 AM (UTC)
I liked him as Daredevil and especially when Affleck played THE TOWN. So I'm ok with this. I'm an affleck fan.
[Killswitch]
About Me

Shao Kahn did nothing wrong

08/23/2013 04:11 AM (UTC)
KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:
because he's not Christian Bale he's being seen as a horrible choice.

No, he's being seen as a horrible choice because he's horrible.
08/23/2013 04:12 AM (UTC)
I was hoping for Meryl Streep.
m0s3pH
About Me

Mortal Kombat Online - Community Manager

| Twitch | YouTube | Lawful Chaos |

Signature and avatar by ThePredator151

08/23/2013 04:18 AM (UTC)
KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:
I think people are being extremely unfair about this. They haven't even seen him in the role, and because he's not Christian Bale he's being seen as a horrible choice.

I'm personally happy about it. I just hope he doesn't give Batman some awful gravelly voice that's completely unnecessary.

He isn't a horrible choice because he isn't Christian Bale. He's a horrible choice because he's a shitty actor.

He's a good director though, I'll give him that. Maybe he should stick to it.
KungLaodoesntsuck
08/23/2013 04:18 AM (UTC)
[Killswitch] Wrote:
KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:

You always pass judgement on something before you see it?
m0s3pH
About Me

Mortal Kombat Online - Community Manager

| Twitch | YouTube | Lawful Chaos |

Signature and avatar by ThePredator151

08/23/2013 04:34 AM (UTC)
KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:
[Killswitch] Wrote:
KungLaodoesntsuck Wrote:

You always pass judgement on something before you see it?

I think he pretty much meant what I said.
Kabal20
About Me

XBL: kabal31082, PSN: Kabal31082
Nintendo Id: kabal82, 3ds friend code: 2595-3252-2624

08/23/2013 04:43 AM (UTC)
SmokeNc-017 Wrote:
I mean, is he the right choice for Batman? Who knows. We've been surprised before by guys like Robert Downy Jr as Stark and Michael Keaton as Batman. So until we see footage, until we see the suite, there's really not much to go on.

Exactly. We were not happy about Ledger being the joker and look how his performance turned out.

Generally though I'm not crazy about this choice right now. I thought he was terrible as Daredevil and his acting in the movie a mild step up from the campy Batman movies Batman and Robin and Batman Forever.

m0s3pH Wrote:
He's a good director though, I'll give him that. Maybe he should stick to it.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he'd be better off just directing the movie.

Then again he is coming of some great movies like Bale did prior to doing Batman Begins, so who knows.
Detox
About Me

You work with what you got...not what you hope for.

08/23/2013 07:01 AM (UTC)
I can't say I'm jumping for joy right now, but it could be worse...

...it could ALWAYS be worse.
moneyguy
08/23/2013 07:13 AM (UTC)
MINION Wrote:
I liked him as Daredevil and especially when Affleck played THE TOWN. So I'm ok with this. I'm an affleck fan.

Performance In Daredevil... meh. Performance in The Town amazing. So I'm up in the air.

Regardless I will watch, because I need to see Bats beat up Superman. (Which will happen)
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
08/23/2013 07:36 AM (UTC)
Detox Wrote:
I can't say I'm jumping for joy right now, but it could be worse...

http://nerdreactor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/batman-george-clooney_63829.jpg

...it could ALWAYS be worse.

The beauty, of course, is that Ben Affleck was a prominent rumor for a post-Clooney Batman circa '98/'99. If I remember right, there was a rumor/joke that he'd only do it if Gwyneth Paltrow agreed to be the romantic interest. As if she would ever do THAT in a superhero movie! She's the credible dramatic actress of our times, dude.

Personally, I'm a bit fascinated by the things Hollywood doesn't throw away. Look hard enough and you'll see some Superman Lives in The Man of Steel. All those late nineties plans are really coming through. It's like they're searching for originality in an era of film remakes by making the things they didn't get to do.
travelingwilbury
08/23/2013 07:39 AM (UTC)
Does that mean Kevin Smith is casting this film and or directing it?
Detox
About Me

08/23/2013 07:40 AM (UTC)
I'm suddenly overcome with the desire to see this movie be more of an adaptation of "The Dark Knight Returns"(instead of an inspiration), just for the chance of Michael Keaton taking the role again.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
08/23/2013 07:46 AM (UTC)
Detox Wrote:
I'm suddenly overcome with the desire to see this movie be more of an adaptation of "The Dark Knight Returns"(instead of an inspiration)

As any fan of Daredevil will know, Ben Affleck's massive head doesn't fit into a cowl. So I think the casting immediately confirms the presence of a Dark Knight Returns style mech-suit and helmet. One that can match Superman and won't accentuate Affleck's ridiculous noggin.
Detox
About Me

08/23/2013 07:56 AM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Detox Wrote:
I'm suddenly overcome with the desire to see this movie be more of an adaptation of "The Dark Knight Returns"(instead of an inspiration)

As any fan of Daredevil will know, Ben Affleck's massive head doesn't fit into a cowl. So I think the casting immediately confirms the presence of a Dark Knight Returns style mech-suit and helmet. One that can match Superman and won't accentuate Affleck's ridiculous noggin.

Oh yeah, I'm sure elements, like the much-suit, will absolutely happen(for story reasons, as well as logistical, i.e. Affleck's dome).

I hate to say it, but I'm feeding into the negativity a bit. He's matured a bit as an actor since Daredevil...but damn it, a movie like this doesn't come around everyday, and I'd like there to be as little chance for screw-ups as possible.
WhereThereIsSmoke
About Me

If you use the term "spam" I have no time for your argument.

08/23/2013 08:21 AM (UTC)
Just here to remind you all that everyone was saying Heath Ledger is a terrible choice as Joker when that was first announced...
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

08/23/2013 08:38 AM (UTC)
WhereThereIsSmoke Wrote:
Just here to remind you all that everyone was saying Heath Ledger is a terrible choice as Joker when that was first announced...

There were people who didn't think Ben Affleck could do Daredevil. Oh...
Shinomune
08/23/2013 12:06 PM (UTC)
Hey, the problems with Daredevil wasn't by Affleck's work - things like the Director's Cut can confirm that.

And hey, people wanted Josh Brolin... and Jonah Hex was worse movie than Elektra.
MKshizz
About Me

Thanks to MINION for the sig! My name is Ian, if you really care to know.

08/23/2013 01:20 PM (UTC)
I'm not too sure about Batman but, I could definitely see him as Bruce Wayne.

He'll probably be fine as both though.
D'Arque Bishop
08/23/2013 01:24 PM (UTC)
Like a lot of people here have said, people mocked the casting of Heath Ledger as the Joker, and look how that turned out...

That being said, Affleck's not a bad actor. I think he just had some really bad choices in movies. After having seen him in Argo, I could actually see him being a somewhat decent Batman, given the right director.

Of course, speaking of which... I think the main problem with Affleck's casting is that Zack Snyder now has to contend with the fact that one of his main stars is a better director than he is. smile
AJBlue
08/23/2013 01:49 PM (UTC)
I've yet to see an Affleck film I really enjoyed, especially one where I was impressed with his acting. Mentioning Downey Jr., and Ledger is a weak argument because they were praised for their acting abilities before they assumed the comic roles. After Daredevil, Affleck even said he'd never do another superhero movie.

To me, he's just this douche who likes to smoke pot and be mellow. There's hardly any range to his acting emotions. He's got such a goofy face I can't take him seriously and Batman needs a serious, imposing side. It's his pyschological warfare against his enemies. I've yet to hear anyone rave about his acting ability; at best I hear, "oh he's better than he was." That's hardly a ringing endorsement.

The bottom line with all of this is that Man of Steel didn't perform nearly as well as they had hoped and they want to get the JLA franchise going. They believe a Superman sequel can't stand on it's own, so they've attached Batman to it to draw more interest. It's an obvious marketing ploy and their hopeful springboard for Justice League.
Pages: 7
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.