SHAZAM! (Future Captain Marvel film)
posted07/22/2018 07:26 AM (UTC)by
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!

- Dwayne Johnson to Play Black Adam in New Line’s ‘Shazam,’ Darren Lemke To Script (EXCLUSIVE)

Though Dwayne Johnson hasn’t been shy about teasing his potential involvement in New Line Cinema’s “Shazam” movie, the superhero comicbook pic now looks closer to achieving lift-off.

Sources tell Variety that Darren Lemke is set to write the script with Johnson attached to star. Johnson will play Black Adam, who in recent issues of the DC comicbook, is more of an anti-hero trying to clear his name than a villain.

Johnson and Hiram Garcia are also producing.

“We Love Dwayne and have had nothing but success with him over the years,” said Toby Emmerich, President and COO of New Line. “When I look at Dwayne both off screen and on screen, he is such a larger than life character and it just made perfect sense to me that we put him in a DC comic movie. You look at these comic book characters and they have this certain swag and charisma that Dwayne carries with him where ever he is so that’s why this always made sense.”

There's been a decade or more of rumors and innuendos. All of that pales in comparison to what is being called a concrete confirmation. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has told the world - he is Black Adam! The Captain Marvel movie is finally happening!

SHAZAM!
JasonVPred
About Me

... here's your Subzero, now plain zero.

09/04/2014 02:52 AM (UTC)
Looking forward to the movie with the Rock!

I have a quick question for DC fans; can Shazam absorb electricity or redirect it without being hurt by it?
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
09/05/2014 02:33 AM (UTC)
JasonVPred Wrote:
I have a quick question for DC fans; can Shazam absorb electricity or redirect it without being hurt by it?

Not something specific or traditional, but who knows these days?
raidenthefridge
About Me

Thanks to MINION for taking my Siginity!

10/03/2014 11:48 AM (UTC)
I have mixed feels on Dwayne.

Part of me wanted him to be Captain Marvel, I admit he looks more like Black Adam, but even though he has immense screen presence I'm not sure he can pull of an accent.

But the main reason I wanted him as Captain Marvel is because Cap is a child trapped in an Adults body..watch a few interviews with Dwayne and he litterally comes as a child trapped in an Adults body.

Still I hope he can pull it off, It'l be wierd seeing Black Adam being the most Jacked guy in the DCU.
Spaceman
10/06/2014 10:38 PM (UTC)
raidenthefridge Wrote:
I have mixed feels on Dwayne.

Part of me wanted him to be Captain Marvel, I admit he looks more like Black Adam, but even though he has immense screen presence I'm not sure he can pull of an accent.

But the main reason I wanted him as Captain Marvel is because Cap is a child trapped in an Adults body..watch a few interviews with Dwayne and he litterally comes as a child trapped in an Adults body.

Still I hope he can pull it off, It'l be wierd seeing Black Adam being the most Jacked guy in the DCU.

Completely agree. I kinda worry that he doesn't have the acting chops to pull off a villain like Black Adam, who (by my limited understanding) wasn't your typical evil for the sake of evil type of villain and kinda had a tragic, anti-hero to him as well. I always kinda read him as like a non boy scout version of Superman who actually had the balls to take charge of things even when that meant people would get hurt.

The Rock has the build and charisma to pull off Captain Marvel perfectly but really only fits Black Adam with his facial structure. I hope to be pleasantly surprised but would be extremely bummed if this movie flopped.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

10/08/2014 04:38 AM (UTC)
The Rock was in The Scorpion King. He's pretty much got it covered.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

12/14/2014 03:28 AM (UTC)
- Dwayne Jonhson's Black Adam Will Be "Ruthless" With "Wonderful Charm"

During a Twitter session with fans yesterday, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson teased what we might expect when he suits up to play DC Comics character Black Adam for Warner Bros.' 2019's "Shazam!" film. When asked if there were any of other superheroes or villains he'd like to play, he replied: "Can't wait to play BLACK ADAM. We'll find that anti-hero balance of ruthless rip your throat out [with] wonderful charm."

More in article.
nightbreed_16
About Me

I will rock you.

12/21/2014 06:58 AM (UTC)
The Rock will rock as Black Adam lol.grin
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/11/2015 07:00 PM (UTC)
- Exclusive: Dwayne Johnson talks Black Adam

Further down the road, after Fast & Furious 7, Johnson will be bringing his superhuman physique to the DC universe in Shazam!, as Black Adam, and he gave Total Film an exclusive insight into what to expect.

So, will Black Adam be an anti-hero then? “I think Black Adam is going to grow into becoming an anti-hero,” Johnson tells us in the new issue. “It’s all written within the spirit of respecting and paying homage to the comics. As we know, Black Adam started out as a slave. When he’s given the powers, he utilised them. Then in the wake of his powers, tragedy strikes, which turns his sentiment and tone in terms of psychology.”

And how, if at all, will Black Adam fit in with the wider DC universe? “It was all agreed that the worlds are all interconnected... One day you will see Black Adam go at it with Superman or Batman or any of the DC characters. But that said, there’s a great independence to Black Adam from the DC world, allowing us to inject, not only viciousness, but also winking humour.”
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/25/2015 02:48 AM (UTC)
- Dwayne Johnson Teases ‘Shazam!’ ‘May Happen a Little Earlier’ Than We Expect

Unveiled last fall, Warner Bros.’ ambitious slate of DC Comics-based films carved out April 2019 for “Shazam!,” which meant of course that fans who’ve long waited to see Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam will have to remain patient. However, the actor now suggests the wait may not be all that long.

Speaking with MTV Sunday at the 87th Academy Awards about “Shazam!” finally getting off the ground, Johnson rather cryptically said, “You know, it may happen a little earlier than what has been predicted.”

“The script is coming in, it’s great. The support from the studio has been great,” he continued. “And it is just a great opportunity especially with Black Adam where you can take a guy that starts off as bad guy turns into an anti-hero. We can make him vicious; a little bit of winking charm.”

Maybe Black Adam gets the game going early with some other playmates? Inspires Captain Marvel's return in Shazam proper?
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/22/2015 09:46 AM (UTC)
- The Rock Thinks Black Adam Could Join The Justice League

"He will become an anti-hero, but first, daddy's got to go to work," laughed the actor. He noted that a team-up with the world's greatest superheroes is in the cards moving forward. "I think so, and I think you always want to leave that creatively open – that he could join 'Justice League.' And I think that's the fun part about creating this character right now. Everybody involved from the studio to New Line to Warner Bros. as well to the writer and our producing partners, you definitely want to engage his heroic side, but that has to be earned.

"With the mythology of Black Adam starting off as a slave...when you start off as a slave, inherently there's things in your DNA that piss you off. That's the bottom line. We have to respect and pay homage to the true mythology, and the heroic side will come down the line."
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

07/22/2017 07:36 AM (UTC)
- 'Shazam!' Is Next DC Movie to Shoot

Shazam!, the story about a boy-turned-Earth’s mightiest mortal, looks to be the next DC Cinematic Universe movie that will go before cameras, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

David F. Sandberg, the filmmaker behind upcoming Annabelle: Creation, is directing the feature project that hails from Warner Bros.’s sister division, New Line. The project is looking to go before cameras in January or February 2018 with a likely release in 2019, according to sources.

Peter Safran, who worked with Sandberg on the Annabelle sequel and is also producing Aquaman, is in negotiations to board Shazam! as producer.

- Dwayne Johnson Won't Be in DC's 'Shazam!' Movie

Geoff Johns, the chief creative officer of DC and, with Jon Berg, architect of the DC Extended Universe, told Yahoo Movies on Thursday that Dwayne Johnson’s Black Adam will be MIA from Shazam!

“We haven’t announced any casting yet,” Johns said. “But Dwayne isn’t going to be in this movie. He’s still doing Black Adam, but he won’t be in Shazam!”

Johnson and DC will be developing Black Adam concurrent with Shazam!, with the idea that the two will eventually face off onscreen.

Shazam! will be directed by David F. Sandberg (Annabelle: Creation), with cameras rolling early next year for a 2019 release.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

09/07/2017 05:11 AM (UTC)
- REPORT: Shazam Eyeing Cena, Sasse; Billy Batson Character Bio Revealed

Pre-production on Warner Bros.’ Shazam is underway, and so is the search for the titular superhero and his alter-ego Billy Batson. ThatHashtagShow reports the studio is zeroing in on an actor for Shazam himself and has also drafted a description for both Billy’s character and the overall film.

According to the report, Warner Bros. is eyeing WWE superstar John Cena and Galavant alum Joshua Sasse as frontrunners for the role of Shazam. As the report points out, Sasse isn’t as well known Cena, though he has appeared in television shows like No Tomorrow, Rogue and The Neighbors. Nevertheless, this would give Sasse the opportunity to truly define the role as a relative newcomer. On the other hand, Cena — who recently appeared in a comedic role for Amy Schumer’s Trainwreck and will star in the Transformers spinoff Bumblebee — brings with him an established fanbase that could become a potential audience for Shazam.

A Cena/Rock superhero showdown is a cute pitch, but come on.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

10/28/2017 04:00 PM (UTC)
- DC's 'Shazam!' to Star Zachary Levi (Exclusive)

David F. Sandberg is directing Shazam! for New Line. The studio is high on Sandberg and sees him as a homegrown talent after putting out his first feature Lights Out in 2016, and releasing the director's Annabelle: Creation, the latest installment of The Conjuring universe. The $15 million horror sequel has earned a big $303 million worldwide since opening in August.

Sandberg is directing Shazam! from a screenplay by Henry Gayden and Darren Lemke. Annabelle: Creation producer Peter Safran is reuniting with Sandberg for the film, and is also producing DC's Aquaman for Warner Bros.

This is a big move for New Line and Levi, who is known for comedic roles, and starred in NBC's hit spy-comedy series Chuck from 2007-2012. He also has superhero credentials and can be seen next week in Marvel Studios' Thor: Ragnarok as Fandral, one of Thor's companions. He also recently appeared in NBC's Heroes Reborn and the network's Eva Longoria comedy Telenovela.

Other actors in the mix for the role in the last few months have included John Cena, who met with the director, and more recently Derek Theler (star of ABC Family's Baby Daddy), Zane Holtz (From Dusk Til Dawn: The Series), Billy Magnussen, and Jake McDorman, the star of TV's Limitless.

Huh... It'll be interesting to see what he brings to the finished product. Doesn't immediately smell like a classic Captain Marvel choice, but you never know. Its not a conventional role to cast in the genre.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

11/03/2017 05:56 AM (UTC)
- ‘Shazam': Mark Strong in Talks to Play Villain Doctor Sivana (Exclusive)

Mark Strong is in talks to play DC Comics villain Doctor Sivana in New Line’s “Shazam,” TheWrap has exclusively learned.

He’s known as Shazam’s archenemy and most frequent foe. In the most recent run of DC Comics’ the New 52 books, that “Shazam” is loosely based on, Sivana is depicted as a respected scientist desperate to save his family from an unknown plight. With science having failed him, he turns to magic. Doctor Sivana’s team finds what he believes to be the tomb of Black Adam; while attempting to open it, the scientist is half-blinded by magical lightning to the face (which has the side-effect of letting him see magic).

David Sandberg, the horror filmmaker behind “Lights Out” and “Annabelle: Creation,” will direct the film. Filming will begin in February 2018 for a likely 2019 release.

Could do a lot worse. Would be nice to see them age him up. The best Captain Marvel leans hard into the anachronisms. Reality need not apply.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

01/16/2018 12:54 PM (UTC)
- EXCLUSIVE: “Shazam!” Villains Confirmed Plus Hints At Possible Black Adam Cameo

Spoilers: (Highlight to reveal)
It’s not a big surprise that Shazam will be going up against his arch nemesis, Thaddeus Bodog Sivana AKA Doctor Sivana. However, it’s a surprise that he’ll be a sorcerer rather than a scientist, as the character breakdown reveals:

THADDEUS BODOG SIVANA – “Evil sorcerer who regenerates from death with world domination on his mind.” Supporting Lead Male

As if our hero didn’t have his hands full already, he’ll also have to deal with Doctor (Mr.?) Sivana’s oldest daughter, Beautia Sivana, and his oldest son, Magnificus Sivana. They are described as:

BEAUTIA SIVANA – “Sivana’s devoted daughter. When he does not return her love, she changes loyalties and helps Billy out.” Supporting Lead Female

MAGNIFICUS SIVANA – “Sivana’s incredibly giant and strong son that has a huge battle with Shazam.” Supporting Lead Male

However, the most interesting piece of news lies with the character who doesn’t seem to have a name.

MYSTERIOUS MAN – “Shazam’s underling.” Cameo Male

The role is a cameo and the character’s name is little more than a description; it’s possible that this is just to cover-up that Dwayne Johnson will finally be making his debut as Black Adam. Now we all know that at last year’s Comic-Con Geoff Johns announced that Black Adam would not be appearing in “Shazam!” but that was before Walter Hamada became the new President of DC-Based Film Production. It’s more than possible that the regime change has brought about a change of plans for Black Adam’s debut as well.

Ehhh...
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/06/2018 05:51 AM (UTC)
- Shazam: New Synopsis Released, Film ‘Firmly Set in the DC Universe’

We all have a superhero inside us, it just takes a bit of magic to bring it out. In Billy Batson’s (Angel) case, by shouting out one word—SHAZAM!—this streetwise 14-year-old foster kid can turn into the adult Super Hero Shazam (Levi), courtesy of an ancient wizard. Still a kid at heart—inside a ripped, godlike body—Shazam revels in this adult version of himself by doing what any teen would do with superpowers: have fun with them! Can he fly? Does he have X-ray vision? Can he shoot lightning out of his hands? Can he skip his social studies test? Shazam sets out to test the limits of his abilities with the joyful recklessness of a child. But he’ll need to master these powers quickly in order to fight the deadly forces of evil controlled by Dr. Thaddeus Sivana (Strong).

Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. Pfrrt.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/28/2018 12:23 PM (UTC)

"BREAKING: This may be our first look at Zachary Levi as Shazam. Expect an official reveal soon." - @BatmanNewsCom

Liking the lack of piping, panels, or armor plating. Shame about the cape, but it could've be a whole lot worse! There may yet be a glimmer of hope!
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/09/2018 05:36 AM (UTC)

"Shazam set photos - @Shazam_film

Spoke too soon. Could've been a lot worse. Digging the colour, but it's no classic.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

07/11/2018 04:49 AM (UTC)
- DC's Shazam! casts Guardians actor Djimon Hounsou as the Wizard

DC’s Shazam! movie has found its 3,000-year-old Wizard.

Djimon Hounsou was quietly cast to play the sorcerer who gives young Billy Batson his powers in DC’s Shazam! film coming next year, EW has exclusively learned.

Previously, This Is Us actor Ron Cephas Jones was widely reported as likely getting the Shazam! role, but that didn’t end up happening due to a scheduling conflict.

Filming on Shazam! has actually wrapped, but this bit of casting remained under the radar until now. (Comic fans will bemusedly note that Hounsou’s upcoming Captain Marvel was also the original name of the Shazam! comic book before DC changed the name).

That's... different.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

07/11/2018 04:35 PM (UTC)
- Shazam! reveals Zachary Levi’s costume in first official photo

Here we see orphaned 14-year-old Billy Batson, who can transform into a grown-up superhero (Levi, who starred on NBC’s Chuck) with an array of powers by saying the magic word. Billy is shown on a soda run with fellow orphan Freddy Freeman (Grazer, who played the hypochondriac Eddie in It).

To re-design the iconic superhero costume for the big screen, director David Sandberg (Lights Out) took elements from throughout the character’s appearances in comics and animated shows.

“I wanted to keep the shorter cape as a throwback to the original because that’s something that sets him apart from Superman or Batman,” the director tells EW. “It makes him feel a bit more Golden Age superhero, which is the vibe I’m going for.” Yet Shazam also has a hood from DC’s 2011 “New 52” relaunch, a glowing lightning bolt that can appear across his chest and wears the gold gauntlets from one of Shazam’s animated movie appearances.

Coulda hugged the classics tighter, but thems the breaks.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

07/22/2018 07:26 AM (UTC)
- SHAZAM! - Official Teaser Trailer [HD] [YouTube]

We all have a superhero inside us, it just takes a bit of magic to bring it out. In Billy Batson’s (Angel) case, by shouting out one word—SHAZAM!—this streetwise 14-year-old foster kid can turn into the adult Super Hero Shazam (Levi), courtesy of an ancient wizard. Still a kid at heart—inside a ripped, godlike body—Shazam revels in this adult version of himself by doing what any teen would do with superpowers: have fun with them! Can he fly? Does he have X-ray vision? Can he shoot lightning out of his hands? Can he skip his social studies test? Shazam sets out to test the limits of his abilities with the joyful recklessness of a child. But he’ll need to master these powers quickly in order to fight the deadly forces of evil controlled by Dr. Thaddeus Sivana (Strong).
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.